The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-06-2018, 07:27 AM
Senior Ledgie

I wouldn't be that bothered by it, because I wasn't planning to go see another show by FM. If I'm going to see any of them again in future, it will probably just be Stevie solo.

As others have said, I just don't get that invested in things like this nowadays, I have other things going on. And I am probably getting cynical.

If they never go back in the studio again as a five piece to make a final album, that won't bother me either. Yes they're still great live together, and it's nice to think they could all go into the studio together and make another masterpiece like 'Rumours' but may not be a realistic idea. Even though they yielded great artistic product, it sounds like none of the albums they've made together from Rumours on have been very pleasant experiences, with all of the breakups, and then Lindsey trying to take control.

They were all probably lucky to get through that alive. Going back to studio again now, in their 70s, is probably just gonna reopen a lot of old wounds they've had to leave behind. Or else it would probably just be some corny fluff like 'isn't so great to now be friends with each other - you're all my family lalala'.

I have to believe that Lindsey did or wanted something that just wasn't acceptable to the group as a whole. They might have tried to negotiate other plans but still weren't happy. We don't yet know all the details.

I don't know if people look at Stevie as the big culprit because of her history with Lindsey, which has become part of their lexicon - wittingly or not - and remains the theme of their music.

Perhaps some just really don't like her. She's the most visible member of the group and anyone who is successful, is gonna have their 'haters'. But I don't go out of my way to put down other group members who may annoy me at times, and I always give them their due. I love Lindsey's guitar work with the group, just a shame it's come to this.

The main question to me is, should they have just called it a day on the entire group?

Last edited by Missy; 05-06-2018 at 08:06 AM..
Old 05-06-2018, 09:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE=Missy;1226871]I wouldn't be that bothered by it, because I wasn't planning to go see another show by FM. If I'm going to see any of them again in future, it will probably just be Stevie solo.

As others have said, I just don't get that invested in things like this nowadays, I have other things going on. And I am probably getting cynical.

If they never go back in the studio again as a five piece to make a final album, that won't bother me either. Yes they're still great live together, and it's nice to think they could all go into the studio together and make another masterpiece like 'Rumours' but may not be a realistic idea. Even though they yielded great artistic product, it sounds like none of the albums they've made together from Rumours on have been very pleasant experiences, with all of the breakups, and then Lindsey trying to take control.

They were all probably lucky to get through that alive. Going back to studio again now, in their 70s, is probably just gonna reopen a lot of old wounds they've had to leave behind. Or else it would probably just be some corny fluff like 'isn't so great to now be friends with each other - you're all my family lalala'.

I have to believe that Lindsey did or wanted something that just wasn't acceptable to the group as a whole. They might have tried to negotiate other plans but still weren't happy. We don't yet know all the details.

I don't know if people look at Stevie as the big culprit because of her history with Lindsey, which has become part of their lexicon - wittingly or not - and remains the theme of their music.

Perhaps some just really don't like her. She's the most visible member of the group and anyone who is successful, is gonna have their 'haters'. But I don't go out of my way to put down other group members who may annoy me at times, and I always give them their due. I love Lindsey's guitar work with the group, just a shame it's come to this.

The main question to me is, should they have just called it a day on the entire group?[/QUOTE]

You'll have vocal contingents that have strong opinions on both sides of this particular question. My thought, is that if the remaining members are still having fun and the fans are still having fun, why close things down over the loss of one member? What if they had decided to disband after Peter left all those years ago? Think of all the great music that came along in the intervening years that we would have missed. My two cents, though as I said, there are plenty of opinions on this.
Old 05-06-2018, 09:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy View Post
The main question to me is, should they have just called it a day on the entire group?
At first, I thought to myself NO! They shouldn't record a new album, because what's the point- it'll just be compared to their previous albums and probably not be very good, and they're old and won't appeal to young fans, etc etc. And then I thought, wait a second- why shouldn't they record a new album? Who cares if it flops or it's bad? At least then we'll know it was a mistake. They shouldn't NOT do something just because they don't know how it will be received, and just because they're old doesn't mean they should have to quit doing something they obviously love to do. If anything, they've earned the right to do this.

Like I said in a different thread, I bought Time and hated it, but that album has fans who enjoyed it, so I would never say FM shouldn't have recorded it. I had that attitude then, and I have that same attitude now.
Old 05-06-2018, 10:11 AM
Senior Ledgie

Ty guys. I can respect other viewpoints. Sometimes wish I wasn't so cynical and thinking negative. Not the way to get things done lol.
Old 05-06-2018, 11:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feather Blade View Post
What if they had decided to disband after Peter left all those years ago? Think of all the great music that came along in the intervening years that we would have missed. My two cents, though as I said, there are plenty of opinions on this.
WOW- my mind is blown! Feather Blade, when you put it like that, I just got shivers thinking about that scenario. It's absolutely true that at anytime, FM could have called it quits before Lindsey and Stevie had a chance to join... or even before Christine had!

Thank you for giving me a whole new perspective on this!
Old 05-07-2018, 01:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default wouldn't happen!

EVER! She's the only one with any pop culture significance.
Old 05-07-2018, 07:23 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
WOW- my mind is blown! Feather Blade, when you put it like that, I just got shivers thinking about that scenario. It's absolutely true that at anytime, FM could have called it quits before Lindsey and Stevie had a chance to join... or even before Christine had!

Thank you for giving me a whole new perspective on this!
Many people probably thought Stevie and Lindsey joining the three Brits was a crazy idea at the time. But something obviously clicked.

Artists have to go out on a limb or take a risk sometimes to keep growing creatively.

But this is the Stevie forum, not about the new lineup, so will leave there.
Old 05-07-2018, 03:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I would be heartbroken, but I would say: that's what you get for not recording. Touring isn't the only thing a band does; it also records. And I was/am heartbroken she didn't record. Stevie would have had the best songs on the album, based on IYD and 24KG. As such, I would hope for a 24KG2 and a solo tour.

That said, if FM could have continued as the 5 as a touring entity while LBCM continued making records, I'd have been more than content.

So the way things turned out is my worst scenario. I have no interest in paying to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" (hey now hey now don't dream it's over! hey now vom)--and now Stevie won't even be spending time recording 24KG2

What's the World Coming To?

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 05-07-2018, 04:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
I would be heartbroken, but I would say: that's what you get for not recording. Touring isn't the only thing a band does; it also records. And I was/am heartbroken she didn't record. Stevie would have had the best songs on the album, based on IYD and 24KG. As such, I would hope for a 24KG2 and a solo tour.

That said, if FM could have continued as the 5 as a touring entity while LBCM continued making records, I'd have been more than content.

So the way things turned out is my worst scenario. I have no interest in paying to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" (hey now hey now don't dream it's over! hey now vom)--and now Stevie won't even be spending time recording 24KG2

Agree with everything you've said here. I talk to a coworker about FM a lot (she's not a fan but is familiar with the music). She said if Stevie doesn't want to record then just tour and carry on with solo projects--what's the big deal. Especially now with Chris back in the fold. It's funny how simple and straightforward things appear to regular people. I find it exhausting to try to explain the level of dysfunction in this band
Old 05-07-2018, 05:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post

Except we don’t know that she won’t record, especially now that Mick Campbell has joined. Maybe we will get another FM album and a 24KG2 album. I have always thought her won’t record because record don’t sell” was a smoke screen for “won’t record because there is no way we will sell enough records to justify spending time with Lindsey in a studio.” But now the game has changed. She did go into the studio to do a few guest songs over the last few years. We don’t know what she has planned.
Old 05-07-2018, 05:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I won't be the least bit surprised if she records now that LB isn't involved. Just my opinion--it's recording with him that's her issue.
Old 05-08-2018, 08:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola View Post
I won't be the least bit surprised if she records now that LB isn't involved. Just my opinion--it's recording with him that's her issue.
I agree, but I tend to think it'll be more along the lines of her doing something with Mike Campbell, solo wise.
I saw some concern on some other threads about them doing too many Crowded House or Tom Petty songs on this tour. My prediction is that they'll maybe do one of each. I think we all have time for that.

Jamie
Old 05-08-2018, 09:23 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieandChris View Post
Except we don’t know that she won’t record, especially now that Mick Campbell has joined. Maybe we will get another FM album and a 24KG2 album. I have always thought her won’t record because record don’t sell” was a smoke screen for “won’t record because there is no way we will sell enough records to justify spending time with Lindsey in a studio.” But now the game has changed. She did go into the studio to do a few guest songs over the last few years. We don’t know what she has planned.
As a fan, I agree - I think it was an excuse so she didn't have to spend time with Lindsey. They still went on with the show for years, but the band has probably never entirely healed from things that happened. Hence, when it looks like all five are ready for a project, it never quite gets there and one of them will bail out.

This is probably gonna be a controversial question - I hope not a trigger for someone who may have been in an abusive, toxic relationship themselves. Has anyone else wondered if perhaps she suffers some trauma from their relationship and how he treated her? These days we'd probably call it abuse. Onstage they're singing songs from the time when it was worst. Imagine all the feelings that brings back, possible flashbacks of things that are upsetting?

Abused women often still feel like they love the partner, and they have difficulty moving on. This just adds to their struggle. The effects can last strongly for many years afterwards.

I read reports that she really struggled to finish the last tour and couldn't wait for it to be over, because she wasn't feeling comfortable with Lindsey and it was really starting to drag her down. Perhaps she thought that after a two year break, she might be feeling strong enough to go back out on the road with him again.

If this is how she feels, I don't think she should have to put up with the situation. I know I wouldn't. May be part of the reason why I'm finding the attacks on her quite offensive.

Ftw I don't think this was all just down to Stevie. I think that Mick may have been having his own trouble with Lindsey as well.
Old 05-08-2018, 11:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Personally, as much as I'm looking forward to hearing the new lineup, I think it would have shown a lot more integrity if they'd said "We're not waiting" to Stevie in 2014 much as they have to Lindsey now. At any rate, the instrumentation wouldn't have lost anything.
Old 05-08-2018, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murrow View Post
Personally, as much as I'm looking forward to hearing the new lineup, I think it would have shown a lot more integrity if they'd said "We're not waiting" to Stevie in 2014 much as they have to Lindsey now. At any rate, the instrumentation wouldn't have lost anything.
I understand, but I think that the BuckinghamMcVie album was a "We're not waiting" for Stevie in its own right, just less dramatic.