The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-03-2014, 11:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm tired of the excuses, not that some songs don't work well live compared to their studio versions (that's true), but that the band couldn't find a version or arrangement they were comfortable performing/did justice to the recording. Come on. If they put their minds to it, they can do it. I heard that excuse for why they didn't play Little Lies in 97. Look at it now, it sounds fine.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdm6789 View Post
It just feels like Hold Me doesn't get the homage that it deserves. This tour would have been the perfect opportunity.
Neither does: Why, Black Magic Woman, Albatross, Oh Well (and anything else pre-1975), Crystal, Oh Daddy, I Don't Want to Know, Beautiful Child, Angel, Sisters of the Moon, Storms, Think About Me, Fireflies, Love in Store, Isn't It Midnight, etc.

I guess the difference is Hold Me was one of their highest performing singles, and THE LEAD SINGLE for Mirage (not Gypsy, surprisingly).
Old 10-03-2014, 11:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethelblues View Post
I'm tired of the excuses, not that some songs don't work well live compared to their studio versions (that's true), but that the band couldn't find a version or arrangement they were comfortable performing/did justice to the recording. Come on. If they put their minds to it, they can do it. I heard that excuse for why they didn't play Little Lies in 97. Look at it now, it sounds fine.
They were able to make Everywhere sound good live back in 1997 and now. They should be able to do Hold Me.

Do we still think it's true that they did rehearse Hold Me and had planned on it being in the set?

Quote:
Neither does: Why, Black Magic Woman, Albatross, Oh Well (and anything else pre-1975), Crystal, Oh Daddy, I Don't Want to Know, Beautiful Child, Angel, Sisters of the Moon, Storms, Think About Me, Fireflies, Love in Store, Isn't It Midnight, etc.

I guess the difference is Hold Me was one of their highest performing singles, and THE LEAD SINGLE for Mirage (not Gypsy, surprisingly).
Sisters of the Moon has been played a lot on recent tours hasn't it?
We all know it's very unlikely that they'll play anything pre 1975. But for 1975-1987 stuff Hold Me was a big hit. There's not any Tusk or Mirage songs on the set from Christine.

Last edited by Wdm6789; 10-04-2014 at 12:01 AM..
Old 10-04-2014, 12:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I think the leaks were absolutely true. The leaked setlist was spot on. They probably rehearsed it.

Sisters of the Moon has been played on the last tour and now this one. I just don't think the arrangement is a deserving homage to the song, that's why I included it. Also, I think they would have so much fun playing a song like Black Magic Woman. Who would play what? It'd be exciting. Then again, Lindsey would probably be against it since he didn't write it. It's definitely one of the band's very best songs.
Old 10-04-2014, 12:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I think the leaks were absolutely true. The leaked setlist was spot on. They probably rehearsed it.

Sisters of the Moon has been played on the last tour and now this one. I just don't think the arrangement is a deserving homage to the song, that's why I included it. Also, I think they would have so much fun playing a song like Black Magic Woman. Who would play what? It'd be exciting. Then again, Lindsey would probably be against it since he didn't write it. It's definitely one of the band's very best songs.

I really think Hold Me and Blue Letter would make this set so much more exciting, it would add two more great surprise songs. Maybe they assume the audience doesn't want surprise songs.

Last edited by Wdm6789; 10-04-2014 at 12:09 AM..
Old 10-04-2014, 12:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

BMW will likely never occur. I believe Rick suggested it for the Shake the Cage tour and John vetoed it because he felt that by that time the song was far more associated with Santana. And holy crap if they did, these boards would light up about how Lindsey can't play the guitar parts right, nobody can sing it right, etc. Damned if they do, damned if they don't.
Old 10-04-2014, 12:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmn3 View Post
John vetoed it because he felt that by that time the song was far more associated with Santana.
Interesting insight! Always felt the band should reclaim the song as theirs. Christine has just the smooth, silky voice that would sound perfect for the vocals. You're right though, Lindsey would be setting himself up for a guitar-off comparison with Santana (yikes!).
Old 10-04-2014, 08:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdm6789 View Post
They were able to make Everywhere sound good live back in 1997 and now. They should be able to do Hold Me.

Do we still think it's true that they did rehearse Hold Me and had planned on it being in the set?

Sisters of the Moon has been played a lot on recent tours hasn't it?
We all know it's very unlikely that they'll play anything pre 1975. But for 1975-1987 stuff Hold Me was a big hit. There's not any Tusk or Mirage songs on the set from Christine.
As Elle pointed out yesterday we know the leaked list was faked. For example, we had confirmation that Brown Eyes was never rehearsed and as such was not in the set. Yes, CM mentioned it in early interviews but we know it did not make it to rehearsal and only the band knows why.

Many of us like Hold Me and wish we would see it again but we also accept that will likely never happen. I have read previously, as others have stated, that the band did not like it live. There have been threads here about songs that do not transition to the stage and many Ledgies named Hold Me. This is not my opinion but it is how it is. We are all disappointed at certain elements of the setlist yet with this band it is what it is.
It is unfortunate that someone started the fake leaks but that happens...and I am glad we got some insider info to clarify for us.
Old 10-09-2014, 09:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Twin Cities Pioneer Press

http://www.twincities.com/music/ci_2...ways-make-them

Rock 'n' roll reunions: Four ways to make them feel so good

By Ross Raihala
rraihala@pioneerpress.com

[Excerpts]

Rock 'n' roll reunions remain big business. Just look at the two biggest Twin Cities concerts last month. Hometown heroes the Replacements packed St. Paul's Midway Stadium, while '70s rockers Fleetwood Mac sold out every last seat at Target Center in downtown Minneapolis.

Leave the door open

Last year, Fleetwood Mac was just another tired nostalgia act, churning out the same songs every few years with little enthusiasm. But then Christine McVie decided she was ready to come out of retirement and now the full "Rumours" lineup is on the road for one of the fall's hottest tours. The Pixies have been very careful to say Deal hasn't been replaced and that Paz Lenchantin is merely the band's touring bassist. A few years down the road, Deal could make a surprise return to the Pixies and breathe much-needed life back into the group.