The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Christine McVie
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-16-2013, 02:05 PM

Default "If I did it, I would have to tour."

We've discussed all the issues of Christine touring.

I'm now a believer that she will tour to support new music which I personally think is stunning and amazing! Some of you kept believing even when she said, "never again". I seriously applaud you for having hope.

Here are the issues in review:

Stage fright - Well we all know she's over that little lie. (pun intended) She looked absolutely fantastic rejoining the band in London and Mick's Maui Blues Band. I think her voice was solid, and the blend with LB and SN is still there and so needed.

Fear of flying - Kind don't buy this one either anymore. London to Maui and back = 16,000 miles. Plus, she flew to JFK from LHR to promote ITM. And apparently Monte-Carlo to watch tennis with Justin. I'm guessing Mick didn't hold her hand to the other destinations.

Living out of a suitcase - Yeah... sure it's inconvenient having someone carry your stuff for you all over the world. And yes, not sleeping in your own bed can be a bit of a drag. But, it's what musicians do and there are so many options available to make it easier for them.

Then there are the benefits of touring with FM.

- Because of her 15 year absence, she is more popular than ever to the fans and the critics. That crowd went absolutely ballistic when she walked out on to that stage. The other band members, Stevie and Mick especially were beside themselves with joy. I now feel that deep down inside Lindsey was torn between performing with someone he adores and keeping the standard that they rehearsed and the integrity of the band (in his mind). He is a very traditional guy and no one member should overshadow their work. Although, he's one to talk about nostalgia and making money and/or popularity to push other agendas.

- Her piano was on fire! I felt LB kind of stole her amazing developing solo on both nights. Yes, I do know that this is the way they rehearsed it, but she was jamming and his solo cuts hers off a bit. She should have had a longer solo (another 4 bars perhaps). She was just getting started as far as I'm concerned. Also, I felt the mix was so much more generous to her than it's been when she was a full time member. So nice to actually hear the quirkiness that they really miss on keyboards. Go play the youtube of, "Don't Stop" with Christine, then without. It becomes so embarrassingly apparent that she is missing in the formula that makes them so sublime. Even tunes by Stevie and Lindsey improve with her keyboard work and harmonies.

-Which is my next point. With Christine back in the band, they are an unstoppable force. I will fly wherever if she performs either solo or with the band. All five of them together make each other better.

Here's to hoping.
Old 10-16-2013, 03:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I think Christine would be happy to do a show here and a show there. Live performance can be a thrill and it's likely she does miss elements of it. But a tour? I don't see it. If she actually did end up touring with FM, I'd actually feel kinda bad about it, given how clear it is that it's something she dislikes doing. That fact has been unambiguous over the years. Life's too short at any age, let alone 70 years, for something like that. "The fans really want it" just isn't a good enough reason. I want her to keep doing what she enjoys, and I can't see a big tour fitting into that equation.

Maybe a one-off reunion concert with FM that would be filmed for DVD release? That could be a nice compromise. But it seems unlikely.

</negative nancy>
Old 10-16-2013, 04:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Here are the issues in review:

Fear of flying - Kind don't buy this one either anymore. London to Maui and back = 16,000 miles. Plus, she flew to JFK from LHR to promote ITM. And apparently Monte-Carlo to watch tennis with Justin. I'm guessing Mick didn't hold her hand to the other destinations.
I actually *do* buy this one.

I hate to fly, but love to travel. If I have to fly, like I did to get to Milan a few years ago, I totally will - but this was a family vacation, and I certainly wasn't going to miss it. However, I hate flying enough that if my *job* required me to travel, I'd quit. No joke - I would find a new job. Airline tickets are overpriced, the seats suck, everyone is crowded, fellow passengers are jerks, people are stinky, rude, loud, will sneeze or cough right in your face, and have no respect for airline staff much less other passengers.

Airplanes need about five less rows of seats, a ban on children, a dress code and actual meal and beverage service to justify the ticket prices these days. And to be clear, it's not about the *price* - it's about what you get for that price. Cramps and flu. Gross. Flying is gross.

Airlines cut corners to maximise profitability. Pieces of planes fall off in mid-air (in the news today!). They catch on fire. The noses, tails, wings, engines fall right off. The pilots sleep, play games and drink. I know that these accidents are small in number when compared to the vast quantity of flights each day, but it's enough to demonstrate a severe lack of concern within the industry for the comfort and safety of their customers. All that matters is profit, spelled $$$$$$. Just yesterday, I read that many airlines are switching to new seats that are smaller and allow them to squeeze MORE passengers onto already overcrowded planes. Sickening.

Of course, FM has their own private plane so these could all be non-issues. I still believe her though, because flying blows.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 10-16-2013, 05:57 PM

I fly a ton and couldn't agree with you more!! I wish you ran an airline.

As far as Christine, I just didn't hear it from her mouth. I heard everyone else say it. If she does have a fear of flying, she's had a funny way of showing it over the years. I just watched her walk off a private jet with cocktail in hand. She looked fine to me. (the Dallas video)

Maybe it developed over time, but I've just never heard her say that.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I think her voice was solid, and the blend with LB and SN is still there and so needed.

Quote:
Go play the youtube of, "Don't Stop" with Christine, then without. It becomes so embarrassingly apparent that she is missing in the formula that makes them so sublime. Even tunes by Stevie and Lindsey improve with her keyboard work and harmonies.

-Which is my next point. With Christine back in the band, they are an unstoppable force. I will fly wherever if she performs either solo or with the band. All five of them together make each other better.
at the start of the tour, i would have said, no. i would have said i barely get any LB songs in FM anyway, and practically nothing esoteric, so i don't need to hear a set with even less of his songs because of adding another songwriter. some of fellow SN fans i discussed this with last summer felt the same.

but, listening to that Don't Stop from London, i have to say i completely reversed my opinion and agree with you. if i can't get Lindsey solo and it has to be FM, however great and tight i thought they sounded back in april when the tour started, the sum of the parts sounds exponentially better with Christine in the mix, especially her voice. so i'm with you - if they have to put out another album and tour again as FM, it would be pretty spectacular if that is with Christine. i don't need yet another greatest hits BN/FM tour again, no matter how great they sounded this year. we need some new songs and we need all 5 on that stage. and Christine seems very ready to play as far as both things are concerned - the album and the tour / stage.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 10-16-2013, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post

at the start of the tour, i would have said, no. i would have said i barely get any LB songs in FM anyway, and practically nothing esoteric, so i don't need to hear a set with even less of his songs because of adding another songwriter. some of fellow SN fans i discussed this with last summer felt the same.

but, listening to that Don't Stop from London, i have to say i completely reversed my opinion and agree with you. if i can't get Lindsey solo and it has to be FM, however great and tight i thought they sounded back in april when the tour started, the sum of the parts sounds exponentially better with Christine in the mix, especially her voice. so i'm with you - if they have to put out another album and tour again as FM, it would be pretty spectacular if that is with Christine. i don't need yet another greatest hits BN/FM tour again, no matter how great they sounded this year. we need some new songs and we need all 5 on that stage. and Christine seems very ready to play as far as both things are concerned - the album and the tour / stage.
I'd rather have LB and SN solo albums then another B/N FMac tour... uhhhh please no more...
Old 10-16-2013, 07:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
I actually *do* buy this one.I hate flying enough that if my *job* required me to travel, I'd quit. No joke - I would find a new job. Airline tickets are overpriced, the seats suck, everyone is crowded, fellow passengers are jerks, people are stinky, rude, loud, will sneeze or cough right in your face, and have no respect for airline staff much less other passengers.
Cramps and flu. Gross. Flying is gross.Airlines cut corners to maximise profitability. Pieces of planes fall off in mid-air (in the news today!). They catch on fire. The noses, tails, wings, engines fall right off. The pilots sleep, play games and drink. I know that these accidents are small in number when compared to the vast quantity of flights each day, but it's enough to demonstrate a severe lack of concern within the industry for the comfort and safety of their customers.

Of course, FM has their own private plane so these could all be non-issues. I still believe her though, because flying blows.
All of your issues are valid but none of them apply to the traveling 1st class rock star who can stretch out on a comfortable bed and smoke a joint with her fellow passengers and be waited on hand and foot by a private staff while flying like a whip through the air.
Old 10-16-2013, 07:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think the issue for her at this point is the "living out of a suitcase" thing and, to a certain extent (don't know mow much), the flying. She's enjoying performing again, which is a good thing. Still not sure if she would enjoy the rest of the stuff that comes with touring.

Who knows? She may surprise us again.

"What a f**king stupid shirt you're wearing." - Christine McVie
Old 10-16-2013, 08:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

If she was indeed having panic attacks, flying is MISERABLE under those conditions. It taps into your primal fears about dying/crashing/not being in control, etc. So I would disagree with the comments insinuating she's just being a big baby about traveling in high style. If you've never had a panic attack, you have no idea how terrifying it is.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
I actually *do* buy this one.

I hate to fly, but love to travel. If I have to fly, like I did to get to Milan a few years ago, I totally will - but this was a family vacation, and I certainly wasn't going to miss it. However, I hate flying enough that if my *job* required me to travel, I'd quit. No joke - I would find a new job. Airline tickets are overpriced, the seats suck, everyone is crowded, fellow passengers are jerks, people are stinky, rude, loud, will sneeze or cough right in your face, and have no respect for airline staff much less other passengers.

Airplanes need about five less rows of seats, a ban on children, a dress code and actual meal and beverage service to justify the ticket prices these days. And to be clear, it's not about the *price* - it's about what you get for that price. Cramps and flu. Gross. Flying is gross.

Airlines cut corners to maximise profitability. Pieces of planes fall off in mid-air (in the news today!). They catch on fire. The noses, tails, wings, engines fall right off. The pilots sleep, play games and drink. I know that these accidents are small in number when compared to the vast quantity of flights each day, but it's enough to demonstrate a severe lack of concern within the industry for the comfort and safety of their customers. All that matters is profit, spelled $$$$$$. Just yesterday, I read that many airlines are switching to new seats that are smaller and allow them to squeeze MORE passengers onto already overcrowded planes. Sickening.

OK....Karma, this one hit a little home with me, me being a Flight Attendant that is college educated and didn't "choose" this profession by a simple boy-hood Dream of being a "Stewardess". I did it out of neccesity to get Health Insurance and the (very-few) flight perks along the way. We work long and hard, and dedicate ourselves to being on-call for at least half the month, only to be jerked around by scheduling and then (when we actually, work/fly) have to deal with every single different personality there is in the world and "TRY" (FAA regulated) to please each-and-every one of YOU!

You may go on and rant-and-rave about how Pilots and FA's (Not Stewardess') drink and don't give a flying-F#ck about your G-D peanuts and if the person next to you suffers from allergies. That I will NOT dispute LOL.

Regardless of how displeased you are with airlines in general, the cramped spaces, stinky passengers, high-prices, etc. We are all trained thouroughly and follow Federal Aviation Administration rules. What I would like to know is where you get your spoken FACTS about "pieces" flying off the plane and airlines considering "more seats", etc. Links, please?

At the days-end, Everything We do is FAA regulated and for the safety of all passengers. Yes, there is a reason why seat belts need to be fastened for take-off and landing, seatbacks need to be in the upright position, all baggage must be completely under the seat in front of you. Don't get me started on cell phones. It is for the SAFETY of not just "singular-minded" passengers, but the safety of ALL passengers.

We are educated and do care about the safety of our guests, our passengers....after all we are concerned about the safety and well-being of US, most-of-all. So, (your post implies) the big corporate airline Wigs in charge cut-corners for the almighty dollar, that as well, I will not dispute. But rest assured if a highly skilled Pilot or highly-educated FA is uncomfortable with a specific plane or flight...We Will Be The First One's OFF of it....before it even takes off of the ground.

Please all be kind to your FA's and Pilots the next time you travel. We endure alot for your safety in the travel industry. Be kind to one another.

Last edited by FierySequences; 10-16-2013 at 08:21 PM..
Old 10-16-2013, 08:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

PLAN

1) Chris would record some new music with Fleetwood Mac. The bulk of the recording could be done in LA, with Chris' vocals and keyboards added at a studio in London. They could produce an EP or an album with 10 or 11 tracks. (NO DOUBLE ALBUM) (REMEMBER: Most of the "Tango in the Night" cd was recorded without Stevie being present)

2) A SHORT tour would be planned with a LIMITED number of dates in MAJOR MARKETS only.....(high priced tickets). Chris could limit her flying by traveling on a tour bus for dates within the continental United States. Cities with tour stops are:

London
Manchester
Dublin
Birmingham

New York (3 nights for filming)
Boston
Philadelphia
Chicago
Dallas
Phoenix
Los Angeles
San Francisco
Seattle
Nashville

Film the New York shows, inviting Peter Green onstage for "Oh Well" (this has never been done for a live filming). SELL THE DVD of the Christine McVie reunion and make a fortune.

Subsequently, the band could take a break......and come back later to tour as a foursome if they wanted to. OR......I would stage a LARGER SCALE FAREWELL TOUR and make even more money in 2016-2017...............THEN RETIRE.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
If she was indeed having panic attacks, flying is MISERABLE under those conditions. It taps into your primal fears about dying/crashing/not being in control, etc. So I would disagree with the comments insinuating she's just being a big baby about traveling in high style. If you've never had a panic attack, you have no idea how terrifying it is.
And if you don't like to fly, you don't like to fly period. It doesn't matter how comfy flying might be. To imply otherwise is like saying you shouldn't have vertigo as long as you're looking down at a nice view.

Also, the fear of flying is something that can develop or intensify over time. I know my dad flew for work for decades, but after he retired he somehow developed a fear of it and the more time he let lapse between flights the worse it got. Finally, if he couldn't get there by bus or plane, he stopped going.

For Christine, if she possessed this fear in the past, the fact that she was under the influence most of the time probably numbed it a great deal. She no longer has that crutch to lean on.

Michele
Old 10-16-2013, 08:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Panic attacks suck. I get them from time to time, and they're HORRIBLE. and being under the influence can really make a person do things they weren't willing to do without it.

"What a f**king stupid shirt you're wearing." - Christine McVie
Old 10-16-2013, 08:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
but, listening to that Don't Stop from London, i have to say i completely reversed my opinion and agree with you. if i can't get Lindsey solo and it has to be FM, however great and tight i thought they sounded back in april when the tour started, the sum of the parts sounds exponentially better with Christine in the mix, especially her voice. so i'm with you - if they have to put out another album and tour again as FM, it would be pretty spectacular if that is with Christine.
And it feels more like a band to me when she's there as well. They don't jam and riff on stage, not spontaneously, but when they're all together it can feel really electric, anyway. When you're playing and staring into the other musician's eyes it feels like a call and response. It's like they're communicating right there in front of everyone and I just don't feel that way often about FM when Christine is gone.

There are times when Lindsey is in front of the drum kit and he and Mick are playing with each other and in the old days, even John and Lindsey would do that several times a night. But when Christine left a lot of the visual sense of unity (even if it was more perceived than actual) I used to feel just disappeared.

It's kind of hard to explain. Why should something like her being on the floor almost doing a tribal dance with John and Lindsey while she's playing the accordion have gotten me so excited once upon a time. I don't know why, but it did. It wasn't just the sound, it was the feeling I had. And FM doesn't really feel like a band any more without her.

The quartet that's left makes me feel other things though and I love them and I love FM more than Stevie and Lindsey solo. I don't want a BN tour, but I do desperately like having Stevie and Lindsey on stage together within FM and I'm never knocking that. But it's so much more, so much fuller and more fulfilling with Christine.

Michele
Old 10-16-2013, 08:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by applebucked View Post
Panic attacks suck. I get them from time to time, and they're HORRIBLE. and being under the influence can really make a person do things they weren't willing to do without it.
That's true in some cases. In my case, being marijuana free for 4.5 years now shows me how paranoid I once was about unseen fears. Nowadays I feel like I can face any obstacle and deal with anything that comes my way. As a pothead I might have cowered in fear and drowned in my weed and now I am very well aware that the pot just made things worse.