Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-08-2009, 01:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMlex View Post
I kinda teared up when I read that. :/
Me too! That was me while reading the whole thing...but this part from what you quoted especially got to me...

"And I hear her singing. She touches my bruised and battered heart with the gentleness of butterfly’s wing, and in that touch…I begin to heal. "

That is so gorgeous. I know exactly what she's saying.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Sunday, November 08, 2009
Me and Stevie

Last night a major realisation hit me. With a THUNK.

I have a Stevie Nicks alter ego I've really never analysed until now. But it's really there, lurking...

Yes I am a big Fleetwood Mac fan. There's a copy of both Rumours and Tango In The Night in my car and actually I think the song Everywhere and its video are what spurred me to write romance in the first place. I just love that vid. Did I mention my secret thing for Highwaymen (and don't even get me onto my teen obsession with Baroness Orczy and crush on the Scarlet Pimpernel...but I digress).

So after X Factor I switched over to a music channel's Fleetwood Mac roundup. And suddenly it hit me.

I want to be 'Stevie Nicks'. Blonde (check always wanted that); wearer of romantic gypsy style clothes and long boots, frilly petticoats and perhaps even strange hats with feathers in (check perhaps because I've always been a jeans wearer there's a deep secret part of me that longs to dress up in a wispy butterfly dress and maybe even a velvet corset with BIG HAIR and just go for it...ggg). Anyway. Perhaps that's why I write romance...I have this inner 'ethereal' crazy woman whom I've never given full control to. Because she scares me...

And possibly would scare passers-by too.

So I keep my inner 'Stevie' repressed...Well, I mean. Who wants to go to Sainsbury's with mermaid hair and a velvet cloak especially with kids in tow?

Anybody else got any embarrassing alter egos? Or perhaps you have an unworn velvet cloak in the cupboard too...? Go on...fess up!

Posted by Judy Jarvie at 11:40 AM
1 comments:
Timeless Barbara @ Enchanted Mirror said...
I love your post! If you ever feel like channeling your Stevie Nicks inner Gypsy, please come shop at my store, chiffon, velvet, boots, hats and all things "Stevie"!

http://www.EnchantedMirror.com

Bright blessings!

Barbara

3:14 PM

http://judyj.blogspot.com/2009/11/me-and-stevie.html
Old 11-11-2009, 10:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

People are impressed that you know someone who writes books (or at least books that they've heard of). But this is only because they don't know the writer in question. If they did, they would just roll their eyes. And should they happen to subsequently meet your writer it will end badly for you. I once had a friend pay me a visit and bring along someone I didn't know. It turned out this person was just dying to meet my friend's writer friend. That would be me. And apparently I was not what she was hoping for. At one point during the long, tedious afternoon I overheard her whisper to my friend, "I thought he would have nicer furniture."

I know a few other writers, some of whom people have actually heard of. Occasionally it will come out that I know So-and-so, and not just in a "we have the same publisher" kind of way. Inevitably the person who hears this asks, "What is he really like?" Even people who should know better ask this. And I always say to them something I heard a friend of Stevie Nicks say she tells people who ask her what Stevie is really like: "She's exactly the way you think she is."

Because the illusion is what makes knowing so much better than being. Being involves, well, being. Knowing gives you all the benefits of being associated with fabulousness but without any of the icky stuff that comes with it. You don't have to actually write the books or make the movies or go to rehab, you just have to know the person who does. And that's really what most people care about. If you tell them you know a prostitute*, for example, they will more often than not think that you're a daring sort who leads a very interesting life. Tell them that you are a prostitute, however, and now you're just a whore who has crashed the party.

I have to get back to being a writer now. Try not to get too excited about it. I wouldn't want to disappoint you.

http://mtford.blogspot.com/2009/11/t...not-to-be.html
Old 11-11-2009, 10:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Outside of the realm of CCM, Michael W. Smith is best known as the guy who gave us "Place In This World" which became a high school graduation song favorite throughout the 90s. He also had another minor hit in 1992, "I Will Be Here For You" which I remember kind of liking in spite of myself. Despite these dabblings, I never really liked him all that much because the nasal quality of his voice really turned me off (says the Stevie Nicks fan).

http://dancsblog.blogspot.com/2009/11/love-me-good.html
Old 11-13-2009, 06:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This article claims that women with masculine names are more successful and make more money.

http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au...451_savvy.html

I think it's funny because it includes Stevie and also Lindsay Lohan. I guess Lindsey will be glad to know that someone else thinks his name is actually masculine. I think Lindsey was considered a male name maybe 50 years ago, but not now.

Quote:
Hollywood, the music industry and the international catwalk have reflected the trend for masculine names over recent years with some of their hugest female stars: supermodels such as Jerry Hall, singers such as Stevie Nicks of Fleetwood Mac fame, and actresses including Drew Barrymore, Cameron Diaz, Lindsay Lohan and Teri Hatcher (who named her daughter Emerson).
Old 11-14-2009, 12:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

From Mandy Moore's Twitter account

guitar lesson in a bit.....listening to buckingham nicks first.
12:11 PM Nov 9th from web

http://twitter.com/TheMandyMoore
Old 11-14-2009, 01:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
From Mandy Moore's Twitter account

guitar lesson in a bit.....listening to buckingham nicks first.
12:11 PM Nov 9th from web

http://twitter.com/TheMandyMoore
This makes me so happy considering she's married to my favorite modern artist, Ryan Adams. Yay.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Tuesday, November 17, 2009
Strangest concert I've never been to

I just had a strange dream, so I had to share it with you immediately while it's still fresh in my mind. My roommate and I went to this free concert headlined by Bruce Springsteen. We didn't get to see Bruce, but Bob Marley was there. Bob looked great, like he never aged (and never died). He put on a thrilling show. After the show, we went back to my mom's house and I told my brothers about the show. I told them about Bob Marley and how great he looked. I showed my brother Robert a picture of Bob online. He said that Bob must work out to look that good. We looked at the promotional flyer, which stated that Michael Jackson (also not dead), Stevie Nicks, Rush, and Asia were also performing at the show. My brother Donny said there were still 2 hours left of the show, and if we hurried, we could catch the rest of it.

So, we went back. Stevie Nicks took the stage, but she looked like an 80s pop star, like Madonna in a white dress and legwarmers. She had a band of men behind her, and she and her band did choreography to some strange disco song. The men sang with her, and some of them got to sing solos. Stevie messed up the dance moves a couple times. After the song, Stevie said a few words, but one of her band members also had a microphone and interrupted her. When the next song began, Stevie walked off the stage and drifted through the audience and walked up to where my roommate and I were sitting. Her appearance had changed. Now she was short and stout with a big, bountiful bosom, and she looked exactly like my mom. She approached me, put her hands gently on my face, and said, "Hello." I was so stunned that I was lost for words. I said, "Hello, Stevie. How are you?" I was scrambling to think of what to say next. I thought that I should tell her that I liked the Trouble in Shangri-La album, but before I could say anything, she hugged me and embedded my face in her boobs. She then turned around and looked at my roommate, pulled out the chair directly across from me, got on her knees and looked downward, like she was praying or something.

http://anthonystreeoflife.blogspot.c...r-been-to.html
Old 11-17-2009, 10:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

By: Roger Friedman // Tuesday November 17, 2009

Remember Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova from the movie “Once“? They starred in the hit film together, won an Oscar for Best Song, had a bestselling soundtrack. They even got together in real life. It seems so long ago now, 2007. Time flies!

Well, they’re back, only they split as a couple. Glen tells me they’re “just friends.” They’re now called The Swell Season. They’re sort of like Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham. And they’ve got a new, terrific album called “Strict Joy.” The first single should be a hit if, you know, radio stations still played music by people over 12. It’s called “Low Rising.”

http://showbiz411.blogs.thr.com/once...t-music-lives/
Old 11-20-2009, 05:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

But I have a confession. As Little Bird and I drove to Chapel Hill yesterday listening to 101.5 and their 24/7 Christmas music, I just couldn't get into it. Some of it had to do with their horrific choices (please, God, why did you let Stevie Nicks record "Silent Night"?), but most of it had to do with the heat, humidity, and the fact that I hadn't made my 20 gallon stock pot of turkey stock yet.

http://trianglemamas.typepad.com/tri...christmas.html
Old 11-21-2009, 12:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Driving in the car with my kids this morning a Miley Cyrus song came on the radio. I started to change the channel and I was verbally attacked. “STOP!” they cried, “We LIKE that song!” I turned to my daughter, age 17, surely a voice of reason. “Seriously?” I asked her. I mean, I get #1son and #2son liking it. It’s pop music and they’re 5 and 6. “Yeah,” she said to me with a look that said she was more than ready to defend her position.

I don’t get it. And quite frankly, I’ve never gotten it. Even way back in the day of Fleetwood Mac. I loved Fleetwood Mac. But Stevie Nicks? Her voice sounds like a cigar smoking chipmunk to me. (Uh-oh. I just lost a few readers I fear. Thanks for stopping by!) When I hear her version of Silent Night on the album “A Very Special Christmas” it’s like nails on a chalkboard to me. How dare she massacre such a sacred song?

But then, I liked Rush. And Geddy Lee’s vocal quality isn’t exactly pure. Or Janis Joplin. Or Kim Carnes. Or Bon Scott of AC/DC. Even Susanna Hoffs of The Bangles had a touch of that chipmunk quality. But I could listen to her without cringing. What was it about Stevie Nicks that bothered me so? And what was the secret to her mass appeal?

http://theycallmejane.wordpress.com/...ibly-marginal/
Old 12-01-2009, 10:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Makes me very uncomfortable.

And speaking of uncomfy...

The other strange song I've heard is an acoustic cover of "Crash" (the Dave Matthews tune) by Stevie Nicks.

Whaaaaaa--?

Yes.

Stevie Nicks trying her hardest to get through a song about a peeping tom (at least that's how I've always interpreted it)... She skips the parts about hiking up your skirt. And pretty much everything except "I see the wave coming, crash into me." It's like she heard the song... didn't really get it and tried to sing it as a karaoke tune.

Didn't quite work out.

What are some bizarre covers you've heard?

http://jacksondonne.blogspot.com/200...ffeehouse.html
Old 12-02-2009, 10:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
"Stevie Nicks" by The Hold Steady
"Not Even Stevie Nicks" by Calexico
"Buddy Holly" by Weezer
"Thank You Jack White" by The Flaming Lips
"Frank Sinatra" by Cake
"Jack Ruby" and "Joe Stalin's Cadillac" by Camper Van Beethoven
"Grace Kelly Blues" by The Eels
"John Wayne Gacey Jr." by Sufjan Stevens
"Lenin" by Arcade Fire
"Tom Petty loves Veruca Salt" by Terrorvision
"XTC vs Adam Ant" by They Might Be Giants
"Me and Elvis" by Human Radio

http://minnesota.publicradio.org/col...coffee_7.shtml
Missing from the list is the infamous song 'Sit On My Face Miss Stevie Nicks' by The Vapors
Old 12-03-2009, 12:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
She skips the parts about hiking up your skirt. And pretty much everything except "I see the wave coming, crash into me." It's like she heard the song... didn't really get it and tried to sing it as a karaoke tune.
It's like the writer did not hear the song and just decided to belittle Stevie's version, while knowing little about it.

Michele
Old 12-04-2009, 12:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Rufus Wainwright was asked to name his top ten gay icons. He was terribly creative in his choices: Dusty Springfield, Kylie, Barbra, some lady named Stevie Nicks no one here ever heard of.

http://www.afterelton.com/blog/edken...ng-meme-120409