Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Christine McVie
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-06-2008, 06:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default "If Christine McVie isn't on board, then it doesn't count"

Here's an internet posting with which I agree 100%.

From http://steelyankee.blogspot.com/2008...ack-again.html

Quote:
I didn't know about this. Apparently, from the Stuck in the 80's guys, Fleetwood Mac is reuniting for a tour.

I'm not a huge fan, but I like them. Rumours is one of the great albums ever, and one that I appreciate more than I did when I was a kid. The songs mean even more to me now.

If you haven't figured out why, you're just not paying attention.

Yet I'll drop the fly in the Big Mac. If Christine McVie isn't on board, then it doesn't count. It's got to be the full, great Fleetwood Mac for me to care. Just give me the prime-time lineup. It's not like I'm asking Peter Green and Bob Welch to return.

To me, it's like the Van Halen reunion. Close...but no cigar.

Besides, Christine McVie is, to me, one of the all-time great female voices in the history of rock (and pop, I guess). The woman could sing the alphabet to me and I'd be happy. I know most of you enjoy the offerings of Stevie Nicks, and she is great, but I just enjoy McVie's voice more.

Besides, her maiden name is Perfect.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Agreed, but it's doubtful she'll be back. I think she has pretty much made it clear her performing days are over now. Of course one can always hope upon a lucky star ... and we've certainly seen our share of celebs and stars who pack it in for good, only to reprise a while later.

Otherwise but here's to wishin'
Old 12-07-2008, 03:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Hmmm

Controversial opinion.

I think the band lack the balance that Christine gave them and of course that voice.

It's not an opinion that most would agree with but yes (for me at least) if she's not there it's not the real deal

Gail
Old 12-07-2008, 04:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

If Bob Welch were picked up in her place, then frankly I wouldn't care. THAT lineup I would pay to see in a heartbeat.

Hmmm, wonder what Lindsey + Dave Mason would sound like paired together?
Old 12-07-2008, 11:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoot View Post
If Bob Welch were picked up in her place, then frankly I wouldn't care. THAT lineup I would pay to see in a heartbeat.

Hmmm, wonder what Lindsey + Dave Mason would sound like paired together?
But that's the point. It doesn't matter who is in the band as long as Mick and John are in the band. That's part of the wonder of Fleetwood Mac!

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 12-07-2008, 01:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yes, I definitely think it's the genuine Mac without Christine. But I like the 5 of them together -- or if forced to reduce, I'll take the three songwriters -- better than I like any one of them by him or herself. I live for the dame, the gal and the guitarist.

And I feel I never got a last concert from Christine. I want that. I don't feel complete. No goodbye. No closure.

Michele
Old 12-07-2008, 02:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The only reason I don't like this logic is she wasn't a member during the Green years, and that most certainly counted.

BTW, if they bring back anybody, I'd love to see Rick Vito come back to do some of the Green-era stuff. Bob Welch and/or Billy Burnette wouldn't be bad, either. For that matter, I liked the way Bekka Bramlett sang Christine McVie songs better than Stevie.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 12-07-2008, 05:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
But that's the point. It doesn't matter who is in the band as long as Mick and John are in the band. That's part of the wonder of Fleetwood Mac!
As good as they come as a backbone in the biz, no doubt about it, but let's be real here also. What sets FM apart is the great frontmen and leading ladies they have employed over the years, each adding uniquely to the namesake sound. That will always remain the wonder of Fleetwood Mac to me! [and chops to Fleetwood and Mac in that department -- they're either remarkably talented in that regard (spotting and enlisting talent), or incredibly lucky -- or both!]

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
And I feel I never got a last concert from Christine. I want that. I don't feel complete. No goodbye. No closure.
There is NEVER closure with Fleetwood Mac. Not with Green, not with Spencer, or Kirwan, Weston, Welch, Mason, Bramlett, etc. It's a never ending conundrum, part of the mystery - and even allure - I suppose. Come to think of it, Christie is more complete than many of the others, most of whom slipped off into the night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
BTW, if they bring back anybody, I'd love to see Rick Vito come back to do some of the Green-era stuff. Bob Welch and/or Billy Burnette wouldn't be bad, either. For that matter, I liked the way Bekka Bramlett sang Christine McVie songs better than Stevie.
So many possibilities, so little time.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

There is NEVER closure with Fleetwood Mac. Not with Green, not with Spencer, or Kirwan, Weston, Welch, Mason, Bramlett, etc. It's a never ending conundrum, part of the mystery - and even allure - I suppose. Come to think of it, Christie is more complete than many of the others, most of whom slipped off into the night.
Well, I wasn't a fan for any of those. So, I'm closed on that score. I just want Christine.

Michele
Old 12-07-2008, 11:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Well, I wasn't a fan for any of those. So, I'm closed on that score. I just want Christine.
Wa wha WHAT??!! Hold on, I'm about to faint...

* thud *

Is there such a thing as blasphemy around these parts?
Old 12-08-2008, 10:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

If it's a FM record, it always counts--regardless of who is on it. That philosophy has kept the band chugging along even when it seemed to do so on one wheel.

I think, Time would have been more interesting if there were no Dave Mason (horrible contributions there) and no Christine (great contributions). Becka and Billy coulda' done their own, unified thing. Christine coulda' done that solo album she was talking about.

More Christine--even if it means apart from the band--is my philosophy.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Maybe it "counts" as Fleetwood Mac without Christine ... but to me the band is now missing its heart and soul. I think that may have been the point the person who wrote that post was trying to make.

By the way, this is not my feeling about the PRE-Christine Mac. I like the early Peter Green band just fine. But I think of them as virtually a different band, for which the name "Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac" can be used. That was a blues band (with some pop/rock elements) that ended when Peter left the band. Then the band recreated itself, and the sound of the band made a fairly abrupt turn toward pop/rock. Christine has been present for the band's entire pop/rock history up until the last album, and in my thinking she is an essential ingredient of the band in its long-enduring pop/rock incarnation. Something is very seriously missing without Christine.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicepace View Post
Maybe it "counts" as Fleetwood Mac without Christine ... but to me the band is now missing its heart and soul. I think that may have been the point the person who wrote that post was trying to make.

By the way, this is not my feeling about the PRE-Christine Mac. I like the early Peter Green band just fine. But I think of them as virtually a different band, for which the name "Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac" can be used. That was a blues band (with some pop/rock elements) that ended when Peter left the band. Then the band recreated itself, and the sound of the band made a fairly abrupt turn toward pop/rock. Christine has been present for the band's entire pop/rock history up until the last album, and in my thinking she is an essential ingredient of the band in its long-enduring pop/rock incarnation. Something is very seriously missing without Christine.
Very nicely put

Gail
Old 12-08-2008, 05:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
I think, Time would have been more interesting if there were no Dave Mason (horrible contributions there) and no Christine (great contributions)
For someone as talented and well versed as DM, his contributions were pretty weak indeed. That said, I still think I would like to see him paired with LB in a concert setting. Not sure if it would really work, but it's an intriguing notion, since both are masters of the stage and live settings.

Quote:
That's odd, as I always have viewed CM as the ultimate (dare I say "Perfect") compliment or supplement, as opposed to the heart and soul of FM. Peter Green, Danny Kirwan, Bob Welch, and Lindsey Buckingham I have always viewed as carrying the H&S leadership torch, but never Christy.

Quote:
Decent argument, only I'd beg to differ on one account, a critical one IMO. That is, the band "recreated itself" aspect. FM sound and identity has always been evolving, even in the PG era. Their sound changed considerably - and for the better IMHO - when Green enlisted Kirwan, who first brought in rock/pop elements and sensibilities to the band (kinda like adding a dose of McCartney to a Lennon palette). Then Play On was the culmination of that synthesis. When Green departed, Kirwan and Spencer took the FM torch and further distanced the band's sound from their pure blues-rock roots, with a little help from Christy into the bargain. After Bob Welch came aboard, it was a straight-up rock-n-roll band, with but a touch of blues-rock and jazz pizazz. Then came B&N, which further pushed the pop (a very smooth sounding pop) envelope.

As I have always seen it, having followed the group from its early days (even watching Bob Welch shut down a concert in mid-flight due to poor audience response), it's been a continual evolution, as opposed to an accumulation of separate sound units. I definitely agree that their history could be divided into three "waves" or periods, but fact is they have all been thoroughly connected and overlapped, with Fleetwood and Mac (J. McVie) serving as the continuum or glue so to speak.

If you want a "recreated itself" scenario, look no further than the Moody Blues. When led by Denny Laine (later of Wings fame) initially, they were a true Birmingham blues-rock unit. When he departed in '66 and Justin Hayward and John Lodge came aboard, the band truly recreated its sound and stage image, quite consciously (purposefully), even when 3 of the 5 originals remained on board. Hayward took center stage, and with the help of Mike Pinder's mellotron and producer Tony Clarke, they never looked back.

Last edited by snoot; 12-08-2008 at 05:42 PM..
Old 12-08-2008, 07:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
FM sound and identity has always been evolving, even in the PG era. Their sound changed considerably - and for the better IMHO - when Green enlisted Kirwan, who first brought in rock/pop elements and sensibilities to the band (kinda like adding a dose of McCartney to a Lennon palette). Then Play On was the culmination of that synthesis.
Good point, and I totally agree. Danny's contribution was the "pop/rock" element in the band during the Peter Green years. By the way, I absolutely love Danny's songs; he is my third favorite Mac member (after Chris and Bob).

It would be interesting to visit a parallel universe where Peter and then Jeremy didn't succumb to outside influences and leave the band, to see how the band might have continued to evolve with that lineup intact. They most certainly would, considering how different 'Then Play On' was from the previous, more blues-centered records.