The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-21-2016, 07:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Christine is and always will be the calm of Fleetwood Mac. In all the interviews I have read over the years prior to an album release Christine speaks about the music and not the drama. There was never a doubt in my mind that Stevie wouldn't participate on their up coming release. Even in past interviews prior to Mac releases Stevie never really was the " lead" on giving us the details on the progress etc.. As a singer and not a musician that plays a major part in crafting the songs it makes sense to leave it up to Buckingham/McVie to share the details.
Old 09-21-2016, 11:24 AM

I can't wait to get my Mirage!!
Old 09-21-2016, 12:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think Christine is downplaying that she had severe depression, with the fear of flying being a symptom of it. Giving away all your possessions, cutting ties with your loved ones, and isolating yourself are other symptoms, which Christine did back in 1998. (I had my own bout with depression in 2009.) I'm glad she sought help from a therapist, and I wouldn't be surprised if she was treated with antidepressants to quickly get her back on track so she could focus on what was most important in her life....music!
Old 09-21-2016, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyNote View Post
I think Christine is downplaying that she had severe depression, with the fear of flying being a symptom of it. Giving away all your possessions, cutting ties with your loved ones, and isolating yourself are other symptoms, which Christine did back in 1998. (I had my own bout with depression in 2009.) I'm glad she sought help from a therapist, and I wouldn't be surprised if she was treated with antidepressants to quickly get her back on track so she could focus on what was most important in her life....music!
I agree to a point. I think that she covers it with the "I got into a bit of trouble and was isolated."

I personally have suffered from this as well. It's so draining that you don't want to go anywhere. I don't need her to get too personal about how severe it was. (we know how long she was away) But, I agree it was deeper than some fear of flying.
Old 09-21-2016, 12:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Under Christine's own Ledgie-site--she was on BBC Radio this afternoon.
There is a lovely link to hear the whole interview, thanks to Elliefw.
Christine was her usual open and honest self...
Old 09-21-2016, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sue View Post
Under Christine's own Ledgie-site--she was on BBC Radio this afternoon.
There is a lovely link to hear the whole interview, thanks to Elliefw.
Christine was her usual open and honest self...
Love hearing her voice.
Old 09-21-2016, 04:04 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
One snippet that was interesting was about being under contract to do another record so they "had" to record Mirage. That explains why Stevie had only a mini tour and her album was still charting when she had to return to the Mac. The timing was always odd to me. I have read both of Mick's book and that part was never mentioned.
In a Todd Sharpe interview earlier this year, he said that Christine was under contract to record a solo album. She confided in him that she did not want to do it. So Chris asked Todd to write and be a partner in it and help establish her solo band.

Little details mean a lot. The Mac was probably under contract to do one more album before 1983 or something. After the Tusk tour, they had a one year break before getting back to the studio. Warner Brothers also had Christine under contract to get a solo album out after the Mac contract expired.

It all makes perfect sense now. It seemed strange the band did not give Stevie the time to enjoy her successful solo album. But Stevie knew the time frame and did all she could during the break and was in France as required under the contract. Loyalty to the band, yes. But also obligated to do it. That part is never mentioned
There's another reason too. Mick was already developing big financial problems by 1981 ~ that's why he moved to Monaco shortly after the Tusk tour ~ so he needed a new FM album to make some good money quick. It was especially urgent since he was not a songwriter, so he didn't earn royalties during downtime like Stevie, Lindsey and Christine did.
Old 09-22-2016, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolasjz View Post
There's another reason too. Mick was already developing big financial problems by 1981 ~ that's why he moved to Monaco shortly after the Tusk tour ~ so he needed a new FM album to make some good money quick. It was especially urgent since he was not a songwriter, so he didn't earn royalties during downtime like Stevie, Lindsey and Christine did.
Funny, the tour they did for Mirage is very short.
Old 09-22-2016, 01:36 PM

It amazes me how they can never remember what date their albums came out. Christine has a little bit of an excuse. She was on Then Play On thru Dance. But still, how do you promote an album and no know what the original release date was. You have to know that they are going to ask questions.

I really laughed when she said, "You're asking me?"
Old 09-22-2016, 03:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Smile

So great to hear from the most talented female in the group
Old 09-22-2016, 04:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by James89 View Post
There's no possible way that Stevie will let them release it without her on it so she'll go in to the studio after her tour has wrapped up.
This is my feeling as well. Her tour wraps on the 18th of December. My guess is she'll spend the rest of the month home for the holidays and then spend a couple of weeks in either January or February laying down vocals for her two or three songs and BGV's for Chris and Lindsey's. IF Christine is actually correct and they want to release an album and tour for the summer, that is. If it's indeed a Fall tour, then Stevie will probably drag her a$$ like usual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDenimLamp View Post
Mick said tour in the fall of 2017 CM now says summer 2017 Stevie says no FM for another 1-1/2 to 2 years so that's summer or fall of 2018...Which is it?
Stevie's concept of time is so askew that if in fact Fleetwood Mac DOES start a new tour next summer or fall, in her mind she probably WILL think that it's been 1 and a half or two years since the last one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
I tend to think that when Chris puts her foot down about something, it gets done.
Agreed! This coupled with her statement that she and Stevie are really close friends now, even more so than they were 16 years ago. I have no doubt that when (not if ) Christine FINALLY says, "Okay Stevie. You've done your own things. We've got an album to finish and an upcoming tour to promote it." then she'll finally get serious about the project. I think the sixteen years of Fleetwood Mac being a "boys club" has made her a bit jaded. But now Christine's back, and when Christine has something serious to say, Stevie listens.

But onto the actual subject of this thread. I'm soooooooooooo glad Chris is back! I'm glad they touched on "In The Meantime", which is an album I adored. I liked it better than SYW, actually and I agree with the other person who said that Christine should make another solo record. I would LOVE that!

This is the sentence that hit home, though!
"If I have to be really truthful, it’s not catalogued as my favourite but on it are some great songs and some really good memories and it hearkens in a vague sense, not to the soul of Rumours but to more commercial roots after Tusk, which was the antithesis of commercial. On Mirage we made an effort to have a few more catchy songs. But it’s still a pretty eccentric record when you listen to it. It’s nuts!"

NAILED IT! A PERFECT (no pun intended) DESCRIPTION!

-Dave (who was TOTALLY a weird "Tusk" loving fourteen year old!)
Old 09-22-2016, 07:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
It amazes me how they can never remember what date their albums came out.
It used to amaze me, until I went on tour. Touring screws up all sense of time. I used to have an uncanny sense of time, but that went away after I went on tour and it never came back. And, the longest leg I was ever on was just under a month. I can't imagine basically being on tour or in the studio (another way to lose track of time) for years on end.

Quote:
Christine has a little bit of an excuse. She was on Then Play On thru Dance.
To be technical, "Mr. Wonderful" through "The Dance" (only because her cameos on SYW were done prior to "The Dance").

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 09-22-2016, 08:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexD View Post
So great to hear from the most talented female in the group
That shade wasn't necessary.......or true.
Old 09-22-2016, 08:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
That shade wasn't necessary.......or true.
I'm sorry. It was a joke!
Old 09-22-2016, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexD View Post
I'm sorry. It was a joke!
It's funny because it's true.