User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-27-2014, 01:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew View Post
I would love a full-band "Big Love," and the addition of "Tango" in place of "I'm So Afraid." Would be a nice little kick for the setlist, while still having the same appeal.
I completely agree with this.
Old 04-14-2015, 01:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

April 14, 2015 by Nick DeRiso Something Else Reviews

http://somethingelsereviews.com/2015...-in-the-night/

Fleetwood Mac hit big with Tango in the Night, then imploded: ‘It was difficult for everybody’

Like more than one Fleetwood Mac recording subsequent to Rumours, 1987’s Tango in the Night grew out of trampled solo project by Lindsey Buckingham — and the title track bears the most striking resemblance to his quirky individual efforts. They were always welcome asides, but perhaps no where more so than this project.

The title track scuffed up a session that might have collapsed under the high-gloss pop sheen of hit tunes like Stevie Nicks’ “Seven Wonders” and Christine McVie’s “Little Lies.” Those two smash tunes (along with Lindsey Buckingham’s “Big Love” and Christine McVie’s “Everywhere”) helped make Tango in the Night the band’s second-biggest selling studio project ever — after, of course, Rumours.

Nicks’ “When I See Again,” with a smart assist from Buckingham, plumbs the dark emotions of a broken relationship once more. Tango in the Night is also notable for the tight songwriting bond between Buckingham and McVie; they co-wrote a trio of songs, including “Mystified.”

But something more ominous was already looming, both personally and professionally, for the drugged-out, worn-out Fleetwood Mac. Lindsey Buckingham, perhaps determined to actually have a solo career this time, walked out shortly before the band’s scheduled tour in support of Tango in the Night. Rick Vito and Billy Burnette were drafted to replace him for the subsequent Tango Tour through 1988.

“That was in my estimation when everybody in the band was personally at their worst,” Buckingham later remembered. “If you take the whole subculture that existed in the 1970s, and what it led to — and how it degraded — by the time we did Tango in the Night, everybody was leading their lives in a way that they would not be too proud of today. It was difficult for everybody.”

In keeping, Tango in the Night has a few potholes. “Welcome to the Room… Sara” comes off as a lesser sister to Steve Nicks’ underrated gem “Sara.” “Family Man,” though it arrived with some mildly interesting guitar embedded in the middle, is ultimately an off-kilter, calorie-free throwaway. Replacing narrative and musical content with studio trickery, the song even used the same beat found elsewhere (and to far better effect) on “Big Love.”

But more of Tango in the Night worked than didn’t — even if, today, Buckingham sees “Big Love” (which went all the way to No. 5) as deeply ironic. “There’s a line in there about ‘looking out for love,’ and it wasn’t about looking for love, it was about guarding against love,” Buckingham says of the period. “I had seen a lot of people that I knew who were spouses and parents and they were not there for their families during that time. I didn’t want to be one of those people.”

Lindsey Buckingham wouldn’t return to Fleetwood Mac again for 10 years, a period that saw the band fracture. He missed 1990’s Behind the Mask, he and Stevie Nicks were absent for 1995’s Time and Christine McVie sat out for 2003’s Say You Will.

In the meantime, Buckingham has gotten married, and now has three children — something he says puts “the subject matter of ‘Big Love’ firmly in the past.”

But the past, nevertheless, has an odd way of repeating itself. Fleetwood Mac’s Tango in the Night-era lineup is back together again for the first time. A reunion tour is to be followed by a new album.
Old 04-17-2015, 05:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Lucas View Post

I know "I'm So Afraid" has a lot of fans, but I've grown sick of hearing it over the years. "Tango in the Night" sort of occupies the same sonic environment, but it also has a more varied arrangement.

I would much rather hear them do "Tango" than yet another repeat of ISA.
A big fat YES from me!!
Old 10-10-2015, 03:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

[Theo Hutchcraft of Hurts names albums that influenced him most]

Music OMH 10/7/2015

http://www.musicomh.com/features/thi...-made-me/hurts

Since debuting with the atmospheric, ice-cool single Wonderful Life back in 2010, Hurts duo Theo Hutchcraft and Adam Anderson have sold over a million copies of their two albums, Happiness and Exile, and established themselves in the front line of English pop music as stylish writers of memorable tunes polished to perfection.

With long-time collaborative Swedish producer Jonas Quandt joined by Ariel Rechtshaid and Stuart Price, upcoming third album Surrender aims typically high, with single Some Kind Of Heaven giving a pre-emptive taste of the new collection’s ambitions. Nothing Will Be Bigger Than Us is – appropriately – one of the band’s biggest songs yet, and Rolling Stone is one of their catchiest.

Ahead of the release of Surrender we caught up with singer Hutchcraft for a look at the albums that have influenced him most for Hurts’ This Music Made Me…

Fleetwood Mac – Tango In The Night

It wouldn’t be a list without Fleetwood Mac. Rumours would be many people’s choice, but I really love Tango In The Night. It came at quite a fractious time for the band but it shows them moving into some interesting territory in the late ’80s.

Family Man could be a Prince song. And obviously Big Love is the most brilliant opening to an album.

The production is all still so small and tight, like Rumours, which gives the songs such a timeless feel.

Read more at http://www.musicomh.com/features/thi...GMg80VxHZGo.99
Old 10-10-2015, 07:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't get the "small and tight" producing quote. The production sprawls all over the place from pop-y hooks to snarling guitars, to whispy ballads. I love Tango, but "small and tight" is not a good description of the record