User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-04-2010, 11:36 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
For dramatic effect Stevie relates how poor she was before she joined FM. It makes for a better success story.
Yep. Stevie (and also Lindsey) have always been wealthy.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default quick summary

I'd say almost half of it was different from the original, so different parts only:

They used a lot of footage from Destiny Rules doc, and some from Live in Boston. They also used several minutes from Lindsey's VH1 BTM, which was somewhat weird - the part starting from how he and Kristen met, through kids and wedding, and interview with his brother and Kristen talking about spectre of Stevie and studio hermit, with Soul Drifter playing in the background. It was so obviously patched in and a part of another show... they should have patched more of Destiny rules doc/LiB/SYW if they wanted newer stuff... but anyway. Using Tusk era pics when talking about Rumours, using Under the Skin cover pic when talking how they got together for Lindsey's solo album between inauguration and the Dance. Descriptions of Christine leaving, with parts of Bleed to Love Her and Everywhere from the Dance spliced in.

A lot of talk about SYW album, but almost no songs from it (other than instrumental parts of Miranda and poppy SYW song with lasso dance over and over - they played it more than their biggest hits it seemed - don't know how that fits with the statements made how SYW might be their best album so far, but oh well). Interesting how much time dedicated to Sheryl Crow situation - more than they ever said about it, it seems. While discussing Unleashed tour (one pic from Unleashed, Stevie and Lindsey in action in front of a drum kit). Appears Stevie and Mick wanted Sheryl in a band, and Lindsey didn't (saying what would she do as a part of FM tour - play Christine's songs? she certainly wasn't going to play Sheryl Crow songs!).

The only new interviews were Mick and Lindsey i think - a lot of snippets with both. Seems like they were taped some time last summer (Lindsey had on similar atire to the US Open one). Christine newer interview snippet was shown, I think the same background as in the Don't Stop documentary so probably taped at that time or before.

Outside people interviewed - Paul Lester, David Wild, Sheryl Crow (i think her snippet was from some time in the late 90s, maybe spliced in from the original BTM).

Mick and Lindsey talked about wanting to make at least one more album. Mick made it sound like SYW was not as cohesive as they would have liked b/c Mick/John/Lindsey were working on an album for a long time before Stevie joined them so she was not a part of the whole process. Lindsey said oh well, SYW was not the first not completely cohesive album they've done and referred back to Tusk (true!), and reiterated Tusk is his favorite FM album.

Mick saying that now they are Buckingham Nicks upfront with Fleetwood Mac in the back, or something like that. He followed this with something that sounded like he's thinking of a tour where there would be some Lindsey and Stevie solo songs mixed in with the Mac songs but what he said can be interpreted in a number of different ways.

Last edited by elle; 12-05-2010 at 10:56 AM..
Old 12-05-2010, 12:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacShadowsBall View Post
Christine announces she's leaving - they play "I Do" from Time!
I actually liked that the show gave overall impression that FM really was the 5 of them, and even though Christine left at the point where the original BTM ended, her leaving was given a lot of space and discussion.

Last edited by elle; 12-05-2010 at 12:36 AM..
Old 12-05-2010, 12:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

yeah they covered her leaving and it's effect on the band. Just too much focus on Lindsey and some sloppy editing.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmn3 View Post
They certainly could have cut Stevie's "when you're in Fleetwood Mac, and you're doing a lot of other...STUFF" or whatever her quote is exactly about having a personal life and being in the band...I've always hated that stupid snippet, it sounded ridiculous in 1997 and it sounds the same way in 2010.
I laughed at her "breakfast room" comment, because she said that in the eighties and she was still using that term in the nineties and I really don't know what a "breakfast room" is. I'm familiar with the breakfast nook. And sure when you stay in a hotel, there's a restaurant where you can go and have breakfast, but it's not really a breakfast room, per se.

These rockers keep late hours, so when they all finally got together in the studio at around 2 p.m., I'm sure Krafts Services didn't cater them eggs and bacon in a breakfast room.

A breakfast room just seems to be some mysterious place unique to FM where Lindsey horrified Stevie with his new girlfriends.

Of course, it may be a British term that she stole from Mick and the McVies.

Michele
Old 12-05-2010, 02:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermicious knid View Post
Geez, you get a brand new rare interview with Christine and then show five seconds of footage from it.

I was thankful that they refrained from showing Stevie at the inauguration party. And I wonder if there is any meaning behind her not doing a new interview.
Idk! I cannot fathom them NOT asking her, which means she declined. So why? She could take a break to play a corporate gig, but could not do a simple interview? Poor management or spite towards VH1.
Old 12-05-2010, 03:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Okay, just finished watching it, here is what I thought.

Overall it was pretty good, but there were some things the grated my nerves.

-Mirage, Tango, Behind The Mask, and Time were all glazed over by one single sentence. I can understand brushing over BTM and Time, but Mirage and Tango should have gotten more attention.

- Lindsey's comment about The Chain just sounded so bleh to me. "The Chain is just about us sticking it out.. The Chain, keep us together...." Lol, okay Lindsey, thanks for dumbing it down for us!

- Why did they include John's alcohol comment twice?

- Stevie's comment about not bringing your "personal life" into Fleetwood Mac... really?

- Lindsey should be barred from ever saying the word "soap opera" again.

- The whole five minute Lindsey Buckingham Behind The Music mini-show... Why did they interview his wife and brother? That is more time they should have dedicated to the 80's.

- "After Say You Will, the members went on to work on solo projects of their own" *TISL covers comes across screen* *facepalm*

- No new Stevie interviews! Where the hell was our woman?!

But all in all, it was pretty awesome just to see something Fleetwood Mac related on TV! And it was pretty good other than those flaws. One thing that caught my attention tho was Mick's comment that went something like, "I think the next time we go out there will be a mix of something Lindsey and Stevie have done that maybe we can play on stage." WHAT? It seems like he isn't saying that there is going to be a new Mac album, but they will tour and play new solo stuff from them or possibly Buckingham Nicks stuff? However, earlier in the show he said something like "Well it is BuckinghamNicks up front and Fleetwood Mac backing them... that IS the band! That's the way it is supposed to be!" So I think he didn't originally say this part first. I imagine it went like this.

Interviewer: So the next time Fleetwood Mac goes out, will you guys be playing any new music?

Mick: I think the next time we go out there will be a mix of something Lindsey and Stevie have done that maybe we can play on stage.

Interviewer then asks what he means by just stuff Lindsey and Stevie will do, as in outside of Fleetwood Mac and then Mick says his comment about FM being BN with FM in the back and therefore it would be new Mac material, but it originated from Stevie and Lindsey since they are the songwriters. But IDK! Any ideas?
Old 12-05-2010, 06:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
Descriptions of Christine leaving, with parts of Bleed to Love Her and Everywhere from the Dance spliced in.

Interesting how much time dedicated to Sheryl Crow situation - more than they ever said about it, it seems.
I'm not able to see this because I don't have the channel here in the UK. Is it available online and/or can someone tell me what was actually said about these points? Especially Christine leaving because we actually haven't heard much about that.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

i couldnt finish watching it i had to turn it off after they were going on and on and on about Lindsey and his damn wife.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuiteShangriLa View Post
i couldnt finish watching it i had to turn it off after they were going on and on and on about Lindsey and his damn wife.
Don't you mean John and Yoko?
Old 12-05-2010, 11:13 AM
Senior Ledgie

I watched it but must have missed the part where Lindsey talked about his wife alot I don't remember that.

I am packing up my house and had a hard time paying attention.

Old 12-05-2010, 11:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Something about the way this band comes off in interviews just annoys me at times. Maybe it's something to do with the times we live in now, things are a lot different than they were in 1997, and sitting and listening to rich, famous people act like making Rumours was such a horrifying, painful, and exhausting experience that they are "lucky to be alive" afterward just seems ridiculous. Seriously, you made an album...you went to a studio, played instruments, sang, produced, yadda yadda. And everyone was breaking up...right, that happens every day too. Hell, LB and SN weren't even married, and none of them (aside from Mick) had any kids involved in these splits. I don't know if this kind of self-pity really resonates with people anymore. I know I personally thought it sounded amusing 13 years ago, but I was 17..now I'm 30, and I just think, seriously, you poor bastards, stfu....move on.

To me, this was a silly revision to what was already a half-assed approach to covering Fleetwood Mac...behind the music. In 1997 it left out a LOT...(1967-75 lasts about what, 1-2 minutes?)...(1980-96 is covered in a phrase, aside from the Clinton inauguration)...I guess I would have thought a revised show would have maybe not focuses as much on repeating what is already known. Gee, NOTHING to report about Mirage, Tango? The whole 1987 breakup and subsequent tours with Billy and Rick? It's not as glamorous as Stevie cleaning houses to make ends meet, but it's the band's history. And I thought the 1997-now stuff should have been beefed up a lot. What about mentioning how they were asked to perform at the White House again in 2001 for Clinton's going away party...I would think that is an interesting tid bit a lot of folks might not know. Additionally, where's Stevie's thoughts about the SYW Tour/album. That was reported quite a bit after the tour ended but no real mention of anything other than the admission of a lack of cohesiveness on the album. Peacekeeper, Say You Will, and Miranda to me weren't the best representations of the album either. The best stuff in the show in my opinion was the Sheryl Crow piece which got more time than I ever thought. Lindsey made me laugh with the comment about her not singing her own songs...clearly he was appalled at the idea.

I wasn't expecting much more from VH1 really, but I think a more detailed "part 2" would have been better...focusing on the years since 1980 would have been more interesting to me. And clearly, new interviews with all of the band members (and Christine) would have been most ideal.
Old 12-05-2010, 11:22 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Something about the way this band comes off in interviews just annoys me at times. Maybe it's something to do with the times we live in now, things are a lot different than they were in 1997, and sitting and listening to rich, famous people act like making Rumours was such a horrifying, painful, and exhausting experience that they are "lucky to be alive" afterward just seems ridiculous. Seriously, you made an album...you went to a studio, played instruments, sang, produced, yadda yadda. And everyone was breaking up...right, that happens every day too. Hell, LB and SN weren't even married, and none of them (aside from Mick) had any kids involved in these splits. I don't know if this kind of self-pity really resonates with people anymore. I know I personally thought it sounded amusing 13 years ago, but I was 17..now I'm 30, and I just think, seriously, you poor bastards, stfu....move on.

To me, this was a silly revision to what was already a half-assed approach to covering Fleetwood Mac...behind the music. In 1997 it left out a LOT...(1967-75 lasts about what, 1-2 minutes?)...(1980-96 is covered in a phrase, aside from the Clinton inauguration)...I guess I would have thought a revised show would have maybe not focuses as much on repeating what is already known. Gee, NOTHING to report about Mirage, Tango? The whole 1987 breakup and subsequent tours with Billy and Rick? It's not as glamorous as Stevie cleaning houses to make ends meet, but it's the band's history. And I thought the 1997-now stuff should have been beefed up a lot. What about mentioning how they were asked to perform at the White House again in 2001 for Clinton's going away party...I would think that is an interesting tid bit a lot of folks might not know. Additionally, where's Stevie's thoughts about the SYW Tour/album. That was reported quite a bit after the tour ended but no real mention of anything other than the admission of a lack of cohesiveness on the album. Peacekeeper, Say You Will, and Miranda to me weren't the best representations of the album either. The best stuff in the show in my opinion was the Sheryl Crow piece which got more time than I ever thought. Lindsey made me laugh with the comment about her not singing her own songs...clearly he was appalled at the idea.

I wasn't expecting much more from VH1 really, but I think a more detailed "part 2" would have been better...focusing on the years since 1980 would have been more interesting to me. And clearly, new interviews with all of the band members (and Christine) would have been most ideal.
You are right about the being invited for Clinton's going away, I did not know that. What did they sing? Don't Stop?

Old 12-05-2010, 11:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~GoldDustWoman~ View Post
You are right about the being invited for Clinton's going away, I did not know that. What did they sing? Don't Stop?
They played Don't Stop but also a mini-set...I can't recall the exact set order, but exactly what you'd expect if they were to only play 10 songs...The Chain, Dreams, I'm So Afraid, Gold Dust Woman, Landslide, Big Love, Gypsy, Tusk, Rhiannon, Go Your Own Way.

Last edited by jmn3; 12-05-2010 at 11:32 AM..
Old 12-05-2010, 02:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The best stuff in the show in my opinion was the Sheryl Crow piece which got more time than I ever thought. Lindsey made me laugh with the comment about her not singing her own songs...clearly he was appalled at the idea.
I was appalled too and I'm entirely on his side, but I wish he would shut up. Sheryl was so gracious when asked about his comments. All she said was that clearly they see things differently. Given his behavior, she could have said a whole lot more. Obviously, I wanted him to say and do anything to stand up against her inclusion behind the scenes, but there's no reason to publicly trash her. He did it 20 times during the Unleashed tour. Having read the previous barbs, the interviewers know he has something sarcastic to say and always ask him about it. The fact that he keeps obliging them just makes him look bad, not Sheryl.

She was presumptuous in making the announcement. FM nipped that in the bud. It's over. Say something generic and pleasant and then shut up.

Honestly, this guy is going to be fevered and delirious on his death bed saying that John and Mick tried to make him use a pick, Christine burned her bridges and Sheryl Crow didn't know her place.

Michele