The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-22-2007, 03:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Rilo Kiley - The New Fleetwood Mac?

They're on the cover of the new SPIN - ^^ that's the headline with an asterisk, then the cover folds out and it says:

*All they need is some righteous facial hair, witches' frocks, and a marching band.

Haven't read the article yet, it was in my mailbox when I went home for lunch. But I flipped through, and there's a pic of the BN cover with a caption that says something like, "Stevie and Lindsey in happier, nakeder times."
Old 08-22-2007, 06:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
They're on the cover of the new SPIN - ^^ that's the headline with an asterisk, then the cover folds out and it says:

*All they need is some righteous facial hair, witches' frocks, and a marching band.

Haven't read the article yet, it was in my mailbox when I went home for lunch. But I flipped through, and there's a pic of the BN cover with a caption that says something like, "Stevie and Lindsey in happier, nakeder times."
Thanks for the heads up, Livia.

I guess the real Fleetwood Mac has given rise to many many other Fleetwood Macs, some of them staring back at us from the magazine page & others dancing across the stages of the world at places like IHOP.

I thought this was sort of interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXgBR...elated&search=

And yet sort of odd & even somewhat frightening, too. In fact, I'm a great big bundle of emotions when I watch it.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

from merf...cause she's awesome...

i'm surprised no one else has chimed in yet -- carrie? greg?
Old 08-23-2007, 12:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

figures, i'm actually sitting here listening to the album for about the 4th time today ...

i think there are obvious similarities ... but there doesn't seem to be the same kind of overt antagonism between blake & jenny that has been palpable between SN&LB for the last, oh ... 150 years or so. and that's what keeps RK a vital artistic force rather than merely a moneymaker (o hay puns are fun) like FM. and thanks to merf for the scan. i'd go broke if i tried to buy every magazine that had a spread on my favorite bands/people.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie721 View Post
figures, i'm actually sitting here listening to the album for about the 4th time today ...

i think there are obvious similarities ... but there doesn't seem to be the same kind of overt antagonism between blake & jenny that has been palpable between SN&LB for the last, oh ... 150 years or so. and that's what keeps RK a vital artistic force rather than merely a moneymaker (o hay puns are fun) like FM. and thanks to merf for the scan. i'd go broke if i tried to buy every magazine that had a spread on my favorite bands/people.
duuuude. it's SO DAMN GOOD OMG. i just cannot stand 15 and smoke detector but that seems to be what most kiley fans aren't into. i love how they're back to back, too. barf, jlew...barf. perhaps they'll grow on me but as of now, whenever i play the album i don't get too jazzed when they come on.

apart from the obvious similarities (i.e. relationship), dreamworld specifically seems like blake channeled lindsey buckingham circa 1987 tango in the night -- the guitar work bares an uncanny resemblance to the whole vibe of that era as does the faded echo technique he has going on during the chorus. it's craziness. sometimes when i listen to the song, i can kind of imagine what buckingham and nicks would sound like on the track.

buckingham and blake are both visionaries for sure. i'd be into them both collaborating on something together.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenStateGirlie View Post
duuuude. it's SO DAMN GOOD OMG.
seriously. having it on repeat isn't even a voluntary thing, it's just ... i can't help it. although at the moment i'm a liar because right now i'm listening to more adventurous.

Quote:
i just cannot stand 15 and smoke detector but that seems to be what most kiley fans aren't into. i love how they're back to back, too. barf, jlew...barf. perhaps they'll grow on me but as of now, whenever i play the album i don't get too jazzed when they come on.
i kind of dig the raunchy gaucheness of 15 ... and i think it's a great vocal. smoke detector ... idk. it's as if she was trying to evoke the same simplicity found in the frug, but it doesn't wash for me. if anything, my complaint about the album is that it's unbalanced. the first 6 tracks are so strong, and then it kind of trails off a bit.

Quote:
apart from the obvious similarities (i.e. relationship), dreamworld specifically seems like blake channeled lindsey buckingham circa 1987 tango in the night -- the guitar work bares an uncanny resemblance to the whole vibe of that era as does the faded echo technique he has going on during the chorus. it's craziness. sometimes when i listen to the song, i can kind of imagine what buckingham and nicks would sound like on the track.
without a doubt. if you can't hear the similarities between dreamworld and LB's TITN songs you're just not paying attention. the vocals also seem a little scissor sisters-y but that's neither here nor there.

at the moment my favorite tracks are under the blacklight and close call. i love the crazy open harmonies on UTB and close call harkens back to early RK way more successfully than smoke detector does.

Quote:
buckingham and blake are both visionaries for sure. i'd be into them both collaborating on something together.
word!
Old 08-23-2007, 01:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm kinda new to RK (where have I been, I know.), but I can't stop listening to this album. it's such lushy goodness.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:15 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Cool

DreamWorld is the best track on the album! Reminds me of Fleetwood Mac, in a way. What a great song. Very catchy.

I do like Moneymaker, Silver Lining and Close Call. Great album all around.
Old 08-24-2007, 03:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

well, i didn't know them, only their name from here. So I tried the new album today. Didn't impress me much, although she has a pretty voice, it seems that she's not very diverse in tone throughout the album. that gets on my nerves a little. For me the song 15 stands out. not lyricly, but musically. and there are some really funky/freaky production-gags in some songs. AND: I want more harmonizing! everytime THAT happens they get something extra. And at those moments I hear The Connection.

Old 08-24-2007, 06:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well I just ordered on Amazon. I'm intrigued, but I'm going to try to keep all Mac comparisons outta my head when i listen...
Old 08-24-2007, 06:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I like the new album, but I'd say it's easily their worst effort, and one where they are clearly going for crossover appeal (two videos already?) the exception being the sublime Dreamworld, which is one of my very favourite things they've done.
Old 08-24-2007, 11:55 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
although she has a pretty voice, it seems that she's not very diverse in tone throughout the album.
Hmm. Kinda like Stevie on SYW.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

For those that download off of dimeadozen...newly added

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-d....php?id=159703

Rilo Kiley
Islington Academy, London
2007-08-20
====

Source: Audience
Lineage: Sony MZ-NH600 w/Sony ECM - 719 (Mic) > SonicStage 4.3 > WAV > Audacity 1.2.6 > WAV > FLAC
Link: http://www.rilokiley.net/viewtopic.php?t=12185

Setlist:
01 It's A Hit
02 Close Call
03 Portions For Foxes
04 Paint's Peeling
05 Breakin' Up
06 Dreamworld
07 Moneymaker
08 Wires and Waves
09 Ripchord
10 Under The Blacklight
11 Silver Lining
12 Smoke Detector
13 Dejalo
14 15
15 Rise Up With Fists (Cover)
16 Spectacular Views
17 Encore Break
18 Give a Little Love
19 Does He Love You?

Recording, Editing and Artwork by Ben Grubb
Photography by Lorne Thomson and Ben Grubb

Artwork is included in the torrent.
Old 08-25-2007, 10:05 AM
Supporting Ledgie

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackaghost View Post
I like the new album, but I'd say it's easily their worst effort, and one where they are clearly going for crossover appeal (two videos already?) the exception being the sublime Dreamworld, which is one of my very favourite things they've done.
Yeah Dreamworld reminds me of Nightbird...the drum intro. Then a splash of Dreams offa Rumours.
Old 08-26-2007, 04:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittledemon View Post
Hmm. Kinda like Stevie on SYW.
Yep. VERY true.