The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-02-2013, 03:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This is an interesting thread. I listen to a lot of music by black artists and when I attend their concerts, there are usually white people there.

Throughout the years, I have attended numerous Fleetwood Mac shows as well as solo concerts by Stevie Nicks, Lindsey Buckingham and Christine McVie. The only black people that I've seen at these concerts were employees of the venue and members of the stage band: Eliscia Wright, Bobbye Hall, Lynn Mabry, etc... So, no I have never seen a black audience member. I guess our black sisters and brothers just don't feel the need to groove to chiffon, tambourines, heavy handed guitar solos, California Pop, British Humour, Welsh Witches, White Elephant Tusks, platform boots and big love.

Also, as one someone previously stated, I LOVES ME SOME BOBBYE HALL !! "She is OFF THE CHAIN !!!" I sure wish Stevie would bring back Ms. Bobbye Hall for her next solo tour. That hot mama has rhythm!!!!

Last edited by WatchChain; 03-02-2013 at 03:22 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 03-02-2013, 04:50 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by svnwndrs View Post
I have an African American friend, and she was temporarily living with her aunt and her uncle, and her aunt found a mix CD I made for her, and her aunt said "Stevie Nicks is a devil worshipper!" And of course, she took the mix CD and threw it away. We were both so PISSED!
...what the hell...
Old 03-02-2013, 04:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Is the point of this thread to somehow insuate that Fleetwood Mac's music is racist?
Old 03-02-2013, 04:59 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
Is the point of this thread to somehow insuate that Fleetwood Mac's music is racist?
I don't get that impression at all! Just someone making an observation about fans, I think!
Old 03-03-2013, 04:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
No...Just VERY Anglo-Saxon.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 03-03-2013, 04:37 AM
Registered

as a person of color, this offends me.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It is interesting that racism always raises its head when the difference between cultures is mentioned. Like it or not, people from different cultures, backgrounds etc like different styles of music.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Well, considering that the person who started the thread (way back in 2005 ) was a teenager then, I highly doubt that was his intention.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireflies View Post
as a person of color, this offends me.
I am not surprised - it's a totally weird and unnecessary thread!
Old 03-03-2013, 11:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think some people in this thread are confusing colorblindness with political correctness. For whatever it's worth, and that may not be much, I can't think of many activists I've encountered who would say that the two are the same thing.

As for why this might be, rock and roll was birthed out of musical traditions of black Americans (although of course there were important influences from the Appalachian folk/country tradition) but popularized for the white mainstream by white artists. Perhaps when that happened that music could no longer speak of the specific experiences of a disenfranchised minority so they continually sought out newer forms of expression. It's hard to separate art from sociology IMO, if you really want to understand it, even though it might be more comfortable to ignore the latter.

There's something possibly to the fact too that if you never see another non-white person at a Fleetwood Mac concert you might not ever feel like it's your place to be. There was an interesting article I read recently at MTVhive.com called "The Only Black Guy at the Indie Rock Concert" that talks about what an analogue of that might feel like. The author is probably not literally the only one, but it's easy to see how he sure could feel like it.

Anyway, things get branded as "for" these people or "for" those people. Some of it is maybe grounded in truth (it was hip-hop music that spoke for the experiences of urban black America in the 80's and 90's, more than other genres, so why would people who live that reality find other genres that don't even acknowledge those realities more relatable?) and some of it is less so. But once that happens it can be a self-feeding cycle. I think the thing that hip-hop and rap was able to do especially the 1990's was come across not only as "for black people" but also "for young people", because it was young and new, it was the new kid on the block. So a lot of young people can identify with hip-hop through a generational identity regardless of race. Rock music OTOH hasn't been the new kid on the block since the 1950's, the only thing that's going to appear edgy to kids now is either very hard rock or very experimental/obscure rock.

I'm aware that I've spoken in gross generalizations and nothing should be taken to apply to every single person ever. Individual variations always happen. Uh, I'll just end with a shout out to Skeetwood Mac, The Melker Project's mashup tribute to Rumours that features a lot of current hip-hop artists like Rihanna, Ciara, Jay-Z, Ludacris, 2 Chainz, etc. If mashups are your thing then some of these are really successful.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:16 AM
Senior Ledgie

What happened to Bobbi Hall?
Old 03-04-2013, 09:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer78 View Post
What happened to Bobbie Hall?
A few weeks ago she lifted a pic of Stevie and Mick off of Sara Fleetwood's FB page that I had posted there.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:54 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Musical artists usually aren't a racist bunch.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Old 03-09-2013, 04:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman408 View Post
That was really beautiful, thanks for sharing.