Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-17-2017, 06:44 AM

Default Melbourne

Stevie Nicks is a rockstar storyteller on tour with The Pretenders
Stevie Nicks’ latest tour sees her spend almost an hour telling hilarious and heartfelt stories about some of her greatest hits and unreleased gems

CHRISSIE Hynde knows her stuff. “Melbourne you’re a music town,” Hynde said at last night’s Rod Laver Arena show where her band The Pretenders ignited the crowd for Stevie Nicks.
Off paper and in real life it turns out the two artists complement each other brilliantly — both iconic rock musicians (and both effortlessly cool) who inject their personality into their songs.
The Pretenders balance classic hits — Brass in Pocket, Don’t Get Me Wrong, Message of Love, Back on the Chain Gang, I’ll Stand By You, Middle of the Road, Hymn To Her — with a handful of new tracks to bring the audience up to date with the fact that this isn’t just a nostalgia trip.

Unlike most of these dual bills, where you’re hoping for a duet considering they’re in the same venue on the same night, Hynde and Nicks actually perform a song together.
It’s particularly poignant that they duet on Stop Draggin’ My Heart Around, which was originally a duet with Nicks and the late Tom Petty.
Petty looms large over Nicks’ entire set, including a string of photos of the pair on the big screens.
Nicks admits she “grappled” with singing songs she made with Petty so soon after his recent death, but knew her friend wouldn’t want her to change the show.
We already knew Stevie Nicks is a storyteller by her lyrics over the past 40 years, but on this new solo tour she becomes a literal story teller.
The theme is that a very chatty Nicks shares the tales behind most of the songs aired, many from her “gothic trunk of lost songs” on the 24 Karat Gold compilation, featuring tunes that didn’t make it out of the studios for whatever reason, some made with Petty and his band The Heartbreakers.

Some of the stories stretch longer than the tune they’re about — brilliant, rambling, incisive anecdotes filled with humour, near-forensic details and the occasional A-list superstar. It was like hearing her reading from her mythical memoirs, breaking up the chapters with songs.
But there’s *a lot* of talking. Like, almost an hour if you added it all up. Luckily Nicks is hilarious and engaging and her memory is super sharp and it’s nice hearing her talk about creating music and being a songwriter rather than being asked about drugs and ex boyfriends for the umpteenth time.
Nicks details how important her solo career outside Fleetwood Mac has been, but how she made a pact to return to the band whenever they needed her. “You can have it all,” she says of her dual careers.
Arguably this kind of show (which pushed past two and a half hours) might be better in a theatre, but Nicks has the great problem of being way too popular for that.
It’s a different setlist than usual, airing some of those unheard or lesser-known songs (one stretching back to her pre-Mac album with Lindsey Buckingham) which rewards diehard fans — and there’s lots of them.
But not one of the increasing number of young fans discovering Nicks these days. Side note —
a 20-something next to this reviewer stated to her friend “Lindsey Buckingham is the other female singer in Fleetwood Mac” at one point when Nicks mentioned Buckingham. No, that’d be Christine McVie.
For the more casual fan Nicks still detoured through hits of her own (Stand Back, Edge of Seventeen) and of her other band (Gypsy, Dreams, Gold Dust Woman, Rhiannon and Landslide).
Prince joined Petty as the night’s most discussed man. You may know the story about how Nicks heard Little Red Corvette while driving to her honeymoon and it inspired Stand Back, but you haven’t heard it in this much detail. Nicks also talked about giving Prince fashion tips and reworked the dove theme in Edge of Seventeen to reference Prince’s When Doves Cry.

e careers of many of her contemporaries.
And who knew watching the second Twilight movie at a private cinema in Melbourne inspired her to relaunch her solo career and the song Moonlight? Yes, that Twilight.
And Chrissie Hynde didn’t have to call out any audience members on her pet hate — the modern plague of filming gigs on phones.
Now, for that next Fleetwood Mac tour where Nicks can play Sara.

The Pretenders play the Forum tonight, while Stevie Nicks and the Pretenders unite again for A Day on the Green at Rochford Wines tomorrow.

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment...8aee11e592ac9d
Old 11-17-2017, 05:10 PM

An episode with Stevie Nicks

Stevie Nicks talks with Sarah Daniell on the eve of her New Zealand tour with The Pretenders.

What can you see out your window right now?

The most exquisite view of Melbourne ever. A beautiful, mirrored building that reflects the entire city and the ocean.

What's your current state of mind?

On one hand, Australia has been amazing and I can't wait to get to New Zealand. On the other hand, I just lost my best friend, Tom Petty.

A 20-something colleague wanted to ask how does she join your coven - because she wants to sign up - do you ever get used to that level of fandom that spans generations - does that still surprise you?

As of now, I don't have a coven. But if I get one, I'll let you know. It makes me feel like when I was 20 and I knew that I wanted to be a rock and roll star, that I made the right decision to go through the next 40 to 50 years and bring as much wisdom as I could to the people that like my music.

As a female lead singer did you feel as though you were "representing" for women? Empowering them?

Absolutely. Always ... then and now.

With all the news coming out of Hollywood now - do you see or did you see similarities with the way female artists were treated by powerful men? Was that your experience?

It was not my experience, but in the beginning, Christine and I made a pact that we would never be treated like second-class citizens. We were also always protected by Mick, John and Lindsey.

You said back in 1977, in an interview, you were tired of touring. How do you manage that now - what tricks help you ride that challenge of travelling and performing?

It is not really that you are tired of touring, you just get tired after being on the road for a long period of time. It's a lot of work. Especially when you're ancient. I'm very lucky to be able to fly privately most of the time, which makes all the travel a lot easier. If there is a beautiful hotel suite in the city, I find it. How you travel and where you stay is your home, so that is a huge part of how much rest you get and how good you feel.

You also said you love old things. What old thing is your greatest treasure?

A spectacular antique diamond ring that Christine McVie gave me in 1997.

Do you ever suffer imposter syndrome or have you always felt that you are where you belong?

No, I have never suffered imposter syndrome. I have always felt I am exactly where I am supposed to be, doing exactly what I was supposed to be doing.

Who or what is the rock in your life?

My best friends, who have been around from the beginning ...

What current artist rocks you?

I am currently obsessively listening to Lorde and Haim.

When was the first time someone else noticed and remarked on your voice - how old were you and what impression did it leave?

When I was in fourth grade, my granddad came to Texas, where we lived, with a bunch of 45 records. And he played all of them for me, and I just started singing along. He told me what a great harmony singer I was and that he thought I was going to be a singer. And then I moved on to R & B.

When you reflect on your life and career, what is the one thing you would change, if you could.

Well, there is only one thing and it's kind of a bummer. It would be not having walked into the office of the doctor who prescribed a medication called Klonopin for me, which ultimately ruined my life for eight years.

What can we look forward to at the concerts in Auckland and Dunedin?

Lots of music, some unfamiliar, some very familiar, lots of stories about who, when and why they were written. Really a lot of fun.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainm...ectid=11945273
Old 11-17-2017, 06:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

she talked SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much during this show. I feel like it was way more talking than usual?

Also, I don't know what she's been saying at other shows and I couldn't find the thread where we were all discussing THE songs. But she said If You Were My Love was one of her Rhiannon songs.

is this new? I dunno. but my ears perked up
Old 11-17-2017, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetAngel86 View Post
Also, I don't know what she's been saying at other shows and I couldn't find the thread where we were all discussing THE songs. But she said If You Were My Love was one of her Rhiannon songs.

is this new? I dunno. but my ears perked up
Yes, she never said before that it was from the Rhiannon project, thanks for the heads-up.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My partner surprised me with tickets for the Melbourne show on Thursday night and I reluctantly went along (I tried every trick in the book to get out of attending but I ultimately had no choice). Anyway, I was impressed by Stevie's performance - she sang extremely well, looked great and actually seemed really enthused to be on stage. However...
Stevie's rambling between songs got old real fast. I was cringing from the outset because I knew what was about to occur - various members of the audience began becoming impatient with each successive 'story' and soon erupted with shouts of "Shut the &%$* up and sing!". These demands became increasingly more aggressive, to the point where I thought a fight was going to break out. From about two thirds into Stevie's set, fans just started leaving.
To be fair, many of the complainants seemed to be drunken thugs who probably shouldn't have been there in the first place (they didn't seem to know any song other than "Seven Wonders", which they kept requesting in a none-too polite manner) but it has to be said, Stevie's anecdotal ramblings are inarticulate, often nonsensical and just plain boring.
The Pretenders, who took to the stage a little after 7:00 pm, delivered a taut set that left just about everyone in the crowd wanting more. Stevie commenced soon afterwards and by the time the concert was over (after 11:00 pm), many people seemed tired and restless. She just stretched it out way too long. People were simply annoyed and yet, Stevie seemed totally oblivious to the reaction. She also came across as extremely arrogant with the usual comments about her successful solo career, how the only Fleetwood Mac song to make number 1 in the charts was 'Dreams', how she would never break up Fleetwood Mac (as in she is holding all the cards), etc. etc.
This truly could have been a remarkable show if Stevie had just edited herself a little here and there. I'm still amazed that for the very first concert of the initial leg of the tour last year (I think in October 2016?), she barely said a word. From memory, she basically performed her set and hardly uttered a word. Then from the second show onwards, she just couldn't shut herself up. What's that all about?
I think I preferred Stevie with a little more mystery. God knows how things will go at the vineyard shows lined up for this weekend. With a potentially inebriated crowd, there's bound to be some harsh criticism of Stevie's verbal diarrhoea.
Old 11-17-2017, 08:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
My partner surprised me with tickets for the Melbourne show on Thursday night and I reluctantly went along (I tried every trick in the book to get out of attending but I ultimately had no choice). Anyway, I was impressed by Stevie's performance - she sang extremely well, looked great and actually seemed really enthused to be on stage. However...
Stevie's rambling between songs got old real fast. I was cringing from the outset because I knew what was about to occur - various members of the audience began becoming impatient with each successive 'story' and soon erupted with shouts of "Shut the &%$* up and sing!". These demands became increasingly more aggressive, to the point where I thought a fight was going to break out. From about two thirds into Stevie's set, fans just started leaving.
To be fair, many of the complainants seemed to be drunken thugs who probably shouldn't have been there in the first place (they didn't seem to know any song other than "Seven Wonders", which they kept requesting in a none-too polite manner) but it has to be said, Stevie's anecdotal ramblings are inarticulate, often nonsensical and just plain boring.
The Pretenders, who took to the stage a little after 7:00 pm, delivered a taut set that left just about everyone in the crowd wanting more. Stevie commenced soon afterwards and by the time the concert was over (after 11:00 pm), many people seemed tired and restless. She just stretched it out way too long. People were simply annoyed and yet, Stevie seemed totally oblivious to the reaction. She also came across as extremely arrogant with the usual comments about her successful solo career, how the only Fleetwood Mac song to make number 1 in the charts was 'Dreams', how she would never break up Fleetwood Mac (as in she is holding all the cards), etc. etc.
This truly could have been a remarkable show if Stevie had just edited herself a little here and there. I'm still amazed that for the very first concert of the initial leg of the tour last year (I think in October 2016?), she barely said a word. From memory, she basically performed her set and hardly uttered a word. Then from the second show onwards, she just couldn't shut herself up. What's that all about?
I think I preferred Stevie with a little more mystery. God knows how things will go at the vineyard shows lined up for this weekend. With a potentially inebriated crowd, there's bound to be some harsh criticism of Stevie's verbal diarrhoea.
I couldn't agree with you more. I know she loves to tell these stories but she clearly either can't hear the rumblings in the crowd or just doesn't care. I also agree that her shows are much better with more singing and less rambling. Sorry you had to sit through it!

I remember it all...you just had to fall...
Old 11-17-2017, 11:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post

Hate to agree with that, but I do 100 percent. and before I go any further I also must say that without exaggeration I think if you remove all the talking this is Stevie's best solo tour of all time with exception being the wild heart, street angel and enchanted tours. The performances of moonlight and gold dust woman alone prove that point. She is singing and performing the best she has at th very least since the turn of th century. I can't emphasize enough I blessed I feel to be able to see Stevie perform at this level at 69.

But this also may be the first ever tour where I like watching g her YouTube videos more then being at the show. Because you can skip to the singing on them. And I say this as someone who typically LOVES her stories. When done sparingly and when they have a point. The 2012 in your dreams tour was the perfect amount of talking. It was the most she had talked in a show up to that point, but I found every story very enjoyable. Even her 8 minute without you and gypsy stories on the Fleetwood Mac tours were very enjoyable to me.

But the talking on this tour is borderline unbearable. Jut endless ramblings and the very worst of stevie isms. And that's from me who like I said typically loves her stories. On top of that, it's insanely incomfortable to be surrounded by so many angry fans (and yea Phil, absolutely yelling shut the f*ck up and sing a few times)

And you even missed out on what I consider the low point of her stories.
The New Orleans story was so embarrassing to here her tell. Complete with how watching the hurricane on the tv while looking at the Pacific Ocean made her so sad (or something like that) she followed it up with what I'd call the third best performance of the night but danm so many extreme conflicting feelings about this show.

In the end the joy I have for this tour greatly outweighs the negatives for me. And she's still playing more songs then any other solo tour with a great set. It would be great for her to not make us choose between a great performance and not being put to sleep in between songs but I guess if we're forced to choose one or the other I'll take this reality. On the other end of the spectrum, when I saw Lindsey and Christine in Cleveland their banter was incredibly enjoyable and their show had a much better flow but Stevie's actual performance level blows them away at this point. Even the most vocal haters who at points I feared would rush the stage and tackle stevie at some points were content with the show after gold dust woman ended. Oh and on that note she even had to talk after f**kin gold dust woman. A pointless few sentences about how she just becomes the crazy gold dust woman character. The whole point of her epic long songs is that there's no explanation to her crazy performances. Imagine if after her exorcism Rhiannon's she walked back up to the mic and said "well that silly Rhiannon character, you just never know where she's gonna take me guys!" Again a minor gripe and it doesn't take away from the performance, but those types of songs were not meant to have funny stevie commentary.

He Will Burn You Down
Old 11-17-2017, 11:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

So in summary stevie. You know how all those ears in interviews you talked about how your fans would feel if you didn't play all your hits. Well this pass tour proves that even th most casual fan will forgive you for not singing Dreams (well for 90 percent of the tour) all the angry fans around me were fine with whatever song stevie sang even if they didn't know it. They just wanted her to SING. If she really cares about what her fans think (which she does too much) then our old joke of Stevie can sing the phone book and we'd enjoy the show is absolutely true. But if she recites the phone book on speaking form, that is no longer true and I take back way I said all those years ago when I said I could go to a stevie show and listen to her recite the phone book!

He Will Burn You Down
Old 11-17-2017, 11:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Also this is a question for those with actual knowledge of the science of singing. Does Stevie's ability to sing hinge at all on the amount of talking she does? What I mean is theoretically, if she cut a half hour of talking would that translate into her voice being able to handle a half hour more of singing,or is that a completely different way to use your voice? Is it pretty much a fixed amount her voice can comfortably handle singing a night and the talking is just a "bonus" that doesn't take from the amount of songs?

I hope that question makes sense?

He Will Burn You Down
Old 11-19-2017, 04:35 PM

Review: Stevie Nicks and The Pretenders

MUSIC
STEVIE NICKS AND THE PRETENDERS ★★★
Rod Laver Arena, Melbourne
November 16

Some things are simply better left unsaid, or in the case or rock stars, said by somebody else.

Stevie Nicks has other ideas and her 24 Karat Gold Tour with special guests The Pretenders plays heavily on stories about the writing and recording of her solo material away from Fleetwood Mac, her vintage $3000 shawl, her first car and countless other tidbits from the 1970s, '80s and onwards.

Nicks' first car, an old Toyota that belonged to her grandmother, is significant because it represents her shift away from anonymity to being swept up in the world of rock 'n' roll excess, where the biggest of the big stars are ferried around in limousines, whatever time of the day or night.

These countless stories, including her collaboration with the late Tom Petty on the hit song Stop Draggin' My Heart Around, another far briefer collaboration with Prince and her penchant for playing grand pianos, took up a lot of time. In between these yarns were the songs, including Fleetwood Mac's Gypsy and Rhiannon, Gold Dust Woman and Edge of Seventeen, all delivered with Nicks' distinctive and still reliable voice.

Prior to Nicks and her band, including guitarist Waddy Wachtel, coming on stage it was The Pretenders with Chrissie Hynde out front who belted out a quality hour-long set of favourites, which had the crowd singing along and pumping the odd fist or two in the air.

Hynde congratulated Melbourne for its part in the successful "Yes" vote in the same-sex marriage campaign, but maybe went a bit far when she asked a couple near the front of the stage if they planned to now get married. Too personal, came the reply, and Hynde refocused her attention on the band's hits, including I'll Stand By You, Back on the Chain Gang, Don't Get Me Wrong and perhaps their biggest hit, Brass In Pocket.

Four decades after forming in Britain with the American-born Hynde and English drummer Martin Chambers, those two original members are now joined by a couple of flashy young guns on guitar and bass duties, but collectively they produce the goods.

Hynde returned to the stage during Nicks' set to sing Petty's original lines on Stop Draggin' My Heart Around. It was emotional stuff, coming just weeks since Petty died. On this night there were many times Nicks went down memory lane, but it's a place her fans were happy to be.

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/...0171117-gznd94