Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-28-2015, 06:57 AM
Registered

Default Holiday Road on iTunes

Finally! Holiday Road/Dancing Across the U.S.A. is on iTunes! And what do you know? Most downloaded song from him on iTunes!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/ho...d/id1019370042

Not loving the cover, but it's good he's on iTunes now!
Old 07-29-2015, 08:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The weird thing is that I just tired to download this maybe a month ago and saw that it wasn't on iTunes. Thanks for the update Do you know why it wasn't on iTunes before?

Kevin
Old 07-31-2015, 12:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Entertainment Weekly, July 30, 2015 by Christopher Rosen

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/07/30...-road-vacation

The new Vacation — which as Rusty jokes in the film’s most meta moment will “stand on its own” — includes a surfeit of callbacks and references to the 1983 original (including appearances from Chevy Chase and Beverly D’Angelo, as Clark and Ellen Griswold), but none as big as the use of Lindsey Buckingham’s theme song, “Holiday Road.” Both the original and two covers are played in the new movie. Ahead, a brief guide to the variations.

“Holiday Road” by Lindsey Buckingham

Buckingham’s classic opens the movie, acting as musical accompaniment to a montage of awkward family photos.

“Holiday Road” by Matt Pond

Pond’s downcast cover, which could have been used on an episode of The O.C. but wasn’t, gets played when the Griswolds arrive at Clark and Ellen’s house after a bunch of road-trip related set backs.

“Holiday Road by Zac Brown Band

Zac Brown Band’s straightforward cover is used during the closing credits, perhaps to signal that while we’re no longer inside our father’s version of Vacation, we’re at least on its same travel route.

Vacation is out now.
Old 07-31-2015, 12:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

People Magazine By Alex Heigl 07/29/2015 AT 05:00 PM EDT

http://www.people.com/article/nation...acation-trivia

Buckingham's jaunty single wasn't produced with any of his Fleetwood Mac cohorts. He plays all the guitars, keyboards and drum machines on the song, and he also performed all the backing vocals.
Old 08-01-2015, 10:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Illinois News Network July 31, 2015 | Ray Hanania

http://www.illinoisnewsnetwork.com/2...ive-ever-seen/

I don’t know if Walley World really exists in California or if it’s just a script writer’s dream version of Disney World, but the 1983 movie and the Lindsey Buckingham theme song “Holiday Road” together bring back the greatest memories I have ever had of family, friends and life.

=========================
“I found out long ago … oh, oh, oh, oh, oh …
it is a long way down the Holiday Road … oh, oh, oh, oh, oh …”
=========================

If that lyric means nothing to you, then don’t even waste your time reading the rest of this review or seeing the new movie remake, Vacation, starring Ed Helms (who I first saw in Office) as Rusty, and Christina Applegate (the charming sexed up daughter, Kelly Bundy, in the TV sitcom Married with Children) plays Rusty’s wife, Debbie.

Still, this movie meant so much to me when I was growing up and just hearing the Lindsey Buckingham song (Holiday Road) makes me stop whatever I am doing to remember, reminisce and smile.
Old 08-05-2015, 06:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Long Way Down: The Strange Brilliance of “Holiday Road”

http://deadshirt.net/2015/08/05/long...-holiday-road/

Long Way Down: The Strange Brilliance of “Holiday Road”
Mike Duquette / 8 hours ago
R-6717468-1425238279-4905

July 24, 2015 saw a bizarre, inevitably underreported musical phenomenon occur: WaterTower Music, Warner Bros.’ soundtrack arm, released the companion album to the new film Vacation, a record anchored by three unique versions of Lindsey Buckingham’s “Holiday Road,” the theme to 1983′s National Lampoon’s Vacation. Those versions—a remix of Buckingham’s original, a melancholy 2005 cover by Matt Pond PA, and a new end-credits rendition by the Zac Brown Band—were duly accompanied by a separate digital release from Warner’s catalog division, Rhino Records, collecting the original mix (its digital debut) and “Dancing Across the U.S.A.,” Buckingham’s other song from the classic film.

With these releases, four separate versions of “Holiday Road” were simultaneously made available in the legal marketplace. A live take on Buckingham’s Live At The Bass Performance Hall (2008) brings this overall total to five—all of which made for diligent musical promotion for a negatively-reviewed (but entertaining enough) sequel to a film series whose last entry was in 1997. But my own reaction to this sudden abundance of “Holiday Road” was unexpected at best: in the days since discovering the various versions available for consumption, various iterations of the tune have passed through my eardrums about 30 to 40 times. Every subway ride, every down minute at work, the march to and from my apartment to the movie theater on opening night—all were turned into a madcap montage waiting to happen, anchored by Buckingham’s stupidly simple verses (27 words in total) and home-run hook of a chorus. I can’t remember getting this roped in by a song since Daft Punk’s “Get Lucky” debuted.

This of course begs some questions: what makes “Holiday Road” such a winner? Where did it come from, exactly, and why is it still sticking around?

The titanic hold of “Holiday Road”—a song forever associated with the National Lampoon’s Vacation franchise, appearing in four of the five films in the series—is considerably striking considering its relative failure to take hold of the Billboard Hot 100, that classic metric for pop song success. While the original Vacation topped the American box office charts for three weeks straight in the summer of 1983, “Holiday Road” managed a paltry No. 82 on the charts, far eclipsed by the likes of other soundtrack smashes in the year to follow, including Flashdance, Footloose, Ghostbusters and even The Woman in Red, home to Stevie Wonder’s Oscar-winning greeting card “I Just Called to Say I Love You.”

In hindsight, the logic behind this is twofold: commercial copies of the single on either side of the Atlantic don’t do a great job of telling the listener this is the big soon-to-be-hit from a big summer comedy. Chevy Chase’s “and you’re not” smirk isn’t present on the single sleeve, and references to the film are rote at best.

Then there’s the matter of the all-important music video. While many of the biggest film hits of the day were bolstered by videos interspersed with clips of the parent film at hand, Buckingham banked left on “Holiday Road,” crafting one of the strangest videos of the decade: a surreal send-up of corporate office culture that actively challenges the tune’s carefree nature.

Even the song’s reputation as carefree anthem is at odds with Buckingham’s own recorded output at the time. The signature singer/guitarist for Fleetwood Mac had found his own straightforward rock/proto-punk songwriting and arranging style (exemplified on the bestselling Rumours [1977] and its sprawling, underrated follow-up Tusk [1979]) sidelined by the high-charting, Stevie Nicks-anchored soft-rock of 1982′s Mirage. Buckinham’s major contributions to that album, “Oh Diane” and “Can’t Go Back,” stiffed in America, a surprise after Buckingham took a solo hit, “Trouble,” off 1981′s solo debut Law and Order, to the Top 10.

Buckingham was by now used to exerting much more control in the studio, playing nearly all the instruments on his own songs, and “Holiday Road” is emblematic of that trend. It’s definitely the work of a studio shut-in playing Frankenstein, anchored by an insistent drum machine/clap track and punctuated by strange, brilliant flourishes (Buckingham’s distinctive finger-picked guitar, the soaring harmonies in the chorus, the unsettling synthesized dog barks as the song fades out).

The enigmatic appeal of “Holiday Road” is further compounded by Buckingham’s deafening silence surrounding the track. It fits neither the New Wave vibe of Law and Order or the pseudo-breakup album overtones of 1984′s follow-up Go Insane, though its vibe is in line with William Ruhlmann’s assessment of Go Insane for the All Music Guide: “a triumph of studio wizardry over songwriting craft.” And Buckingham has never really talked about it in interviews, its exact origins lost to time. Even fans don’t have much to say about it, outside of a brief but effective post on Popdose or another blog post on its difficult availability. Indeed, the song’s barely-two-minute running time suggests Buckingham and co-producer Richard Dashut tossing off a wacky little pop nugget and giving it to Warner Bros. (his label and the distributor of Vacation) as a goodwill gesture of vertical integration.

vacation-movie-chevy-chase-today-tease-150528_055383e6354bcba18dd996a54c3f58da.today-inline-large

So, then, what is it that makes “Holiday Road” such a junk food masterpiece? Perhaps it’s tied to what Kaleb Horton wrote about in his brilliant reassessment of the original Vacation for Vanity Fair last week: the film is a wicked, cynical send-up of Reagan-era suburbia, and perhaps “Holiday Road” is an unwitting accomplice to that viewpoint. Maybe Lindsey Buckingham saw the same nose-thumbing at the Griswolds’ idealized version of the American Dream that Vacation writer John Hughes and director Harold Ramis did, and built a dopey piece of ear candy in kind.

Whatever the reason, there’s a good chance I’m going to queue up Buckingham’s gonzo earworm a few more dozen times before Labor Day, dreaming of the kind of madcap montage lifestyle often promised by jaunty comedies like National Lampoon’s Vacation. Why not take a ride with me? It’s a long way down that holiday road.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 08-05-2015, 11:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^I like this and I'm glad that the Holiday Road video got a mention, because it was not what I expected. Many movie musical videos contained scenes from the movie and cameos from the actors and tried to incorporate the theme of the movie. The Holiday Road video, by contrast, fits into Lindsey's solo work quite neatly. The Big Machine strangles creativity and individuality. You have to break out. The mesage is similar to the videos for Wrong and Go Insane, really.

Michele
Old 08-13-2015, 07:35 PM
Registered

I want to see the new movie? Anyone see it? Is Holiday Road actually in it?
Old 08-15-2015, 01:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by welcomechris View Post
I want to see the new movie? Anyone see it?
I found out long ago sequels aren't as good as the originals.
Old 08-15-2015, 12:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotafraid View Post
I found out long ago sequels aren't as good as the originals.
Star Trek movie fans would not agree. Michele
Old 08-15-2015, 03:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Star Trek movie fans would not agree. Michele
I just had to write those first five words.

Besides, The Empire Strikes Back is the
best sequel ever.

Star Trek? Never heard of it.
Old 08-16-2015, 08:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Star Wars? Not sure, but I believe that's where adults prance around with magic swords and learn wisdom from muppets. May the farce be with you.

Old 08-17-2015, 01:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Brown View Post
I believe that's where adults prance around with magic swords and learn wisdom from muppets.
No, no. We're not talking about The Dark Crystal or Labyrinth.

And I can't wait to hear Lindsey's soundtrack contribution to
The Force Awakens. John Williams and Lindsey Buckingham!
Never thought they'd work together.
Old 08-21-2015, 12:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I always enjoyed the Vacation series as long Chevy Chase is in it.I got to check the new one out.I have a copy of the 2013 Star Trek movie which I have not viewed yet so I cant comment on it as a Trekkie view of it.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 09-27-2015, 01:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Ultimate Classic Rock By Dave SwansonSeptember 23, 2015 8:37 AM

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/chris...mmercial-2015/

Meanwhile, we hear the familiar ring of “Holiday Road,” a song written and performed by Fleetwood Mac‘s Buckingham in the original film. The song made a small dent back in 1983, hitting No. 82 on the Billboard Hot 100, but has become an iconic traveling song in the years since. Though it was used again in the Vacation sequels, including the 2015 update of the film, the one used in this ad is not Buckingham. It’s a fairly faithful take on the pop classic, but to be honest, it hasn’t been revealed who is singing this version.

Read More: Christie Brinkley Gets Back on Lindsey Buckingham's 'Holiday Road' in New Commercial | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/chris...ckback=tsmclip