Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-26-2009, 05:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Cyndi Lauper? does You Make Lovin' Fun

Check out this video on youtube if you don't know about it already and read the comments:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GB2qTJLY_Gc

I was very excited about this until I heard it, because Cyndi ROCKS! So apparently this was the first single ever released by Cyndi and she was meant to "sound like someone else". I really doubt this is Cyndi, it sounds nothing like her!Then again, I went on to read that she didn't even have a copy until 2002 when she confirmed it was her. How strange! I'm not sure about this version at all.

Does anyone know any more about this?

By the way, how annoying was the repeated mis-spelling of McVie in the comments?!?

Last edited by Dodfather; 07-26-2009 at 05:37 AM..
Old 07-26-2009, 10:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I had a similar reaction as the comment person...

LOVE YMLF...love Cyndi...HATE this version. It's like they took EVERYTHING that was good about the song out of it.

But, it's just one more degree in six degrees of separation...
Old 07-26-2009, 12:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

still not sure if it's actually her.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't believe this is Cyndi Lauper. Doesn't sound a thing like her. She must have her reasons for claiming to be the singer on this.

And this version is absolute junk. Possibly the worst cover I've ever heard of a Fleetwood Mac song.
Old 07-26-2009, 03:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Here's a picture of the single that was released for her version:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Yo...ngfuncover.jpg
Old 07-26-2009, 04:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It's Cyndi. She used to sing in cover bands in the 70's until she formed Blue Angel in 1978.

She was paid 12 bucks in 1977 to record a few covers for someone and this was the only one that was released. She got "paid to sound like someone else," in her words.

I know the woman who gave her the single; she said Cyndi was indeed surprised that it saw the light of day at all!
Old 07-26-2009, 06:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm still skeptical. As the wise guy said, don't believe everything you read (or see) on the internet.

But Cyndi or not, this version is absolutely horrible. I have to go listen to a few tracks by Christine to wash the dirty feeling out of my ears. (lol)
Old 07-26-2009, 06:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicepace View Post
I'm still skeptical. As the wise guy said, don't believe everything you read (or see) on the internet.

But Cyndi or not, this version is absolutely horrible. I have to go listen to a few tracks by Christine to wash the dirty feeling out of my ears. (lol)
it is pretty bad, I agree, but it is definitely her. Why she'd just claim it was her, especially BECAUSE it's so bad, makes no sense.
Old 07-26-2009, 07:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldustsongbird View Post
Why she'd just claim it was her, especially BECAUSE it's so bad, makes no sense.
Good point. Okay, it's Cyndi. Cyndi at her absolute worst. (lol)

Which really isn't fair, because it's not the vocal that makes the song so horrible, it's the so-called arrangement.
Old 07-27-2009, 02:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldustsongbird View Post
It's Cyndi. She used to sing in cover bands in the 70's until she formed Blue Angel in 1978.

She was paid 12 bucks in 1977 to record a few covers for someone and this was the only one that was released. She got "paid to sound like someone else," in her words.

I know the woman who gave her the single; she said Cyndi was indeed surprised that it saw the light of day at all!
Poor Cyndi! Being reminded of it - oh dear!
Old 07-27-2009, 04:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I could be wrong but I think it was for one of those companies that made knock off records. You would see them in woolworths or k-mart and they would get you because it would have all the titles of hit songs but in small print they would say they weren't the original artists. I think the company made money because they paid the publishing company for the rights to use the song but not the artists, so they'd pay some no name artist a few bucks to record it. And Cyndi had hit on hard times before the release of She's So Unusual so it's no surprise she would do this. And if you've listened to her for as many years as I have you can tell it's her, pushing her voice into a lower register and not letting herself do her signature vocal inflections.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UndoingTheLaces View Post
I could be wrong but I think it was for one of those companies that made knock off records. You would see them in woolworths or k-mart and they would get you because it would have all the titles of hit songs but in small print they would say they weren't the original artists. I think the company made money because they paid the publishing company for the rights to use the song but not the artists, so they'd pay some no name artist a few bucks to record it. And Cyndi had hit on hard times before the release of She's So Unusual so it's no surprise she would do this. And if you've listened to her for as many years as I have you can tell it's her, pushing her voice into a lower register and not letting herself do her signature vocal inflections.
Listening to it again I do agree. Those companies suck. The cd's are always awful! By the way...great screen name!
Old 07-27-2009, 08:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I could be wrong but I think it was for one of those companies that made knock off records. You would see them in woolworths or k-mart and they would get you because it would have all the titles of hit songs but in small print they would say they weren't the original artists.
But those records usually made the attempt to sound like the original by using a similar arrangement of the songs. The arrangement of this version of YMLF is absolutely nothing like the FM original. (That obnoxious disco beat -- those horrible screeching horns!)
Old 07-28-2009, 03:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodfather View Post
Listening to it again I do agree. Those companies suck. The cd's are always awful! By the way...great screen name!
Thanks. Sara is one of my favorite songs.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UndoingTheLaces View Post
Thanks. Sara is one of my favorite songs.
You are not alone