The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-19-2015, 12:57 AM
Senior Ledgie

*add note: was thinking of why Oasis didn't get more success in America. I remember people saying that bands from overseas needed to do extensive American tours - the hard yards - to become known there. From what I understand their tours there were a mess because of the power struggles in the band. I can think of many good bands who tried America and should've made it but didn't. Sometimes because of culture differences. When I listen to interviews with Liam and Noel their accents are so strong I often can't understand them and they never became more sophisticated. There are also some differences I think between British and American humour. I find myself having to be conscious of that online or I can get taken in the wrong way. (Am an Aussie, Oasis were big here too.)
Old 01-07-2016, 11:09 PM
Senior Ledgie

I found that Noel is actually a big fan of Peter Green. He participated in a documentary about him so I might just be catching up on what is already generally known here - if so sorry :S At first I thought his comments might be ignorance but of course there are people who try to put Green and Buckingham in competition with each other.

There is no way that Noel can compare with either Green or Buckingham on guitar. He would fess that himself.

However from http://www.nme.com/news/noel-gallagher/58404 'The ex-Oasis leader said 'Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds' was inspired by Jefferson Airplane track 'High Flying Bird'. Meanwhile, the format of the title is a homage to the original name for Fleetwood Mac, Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac.'

A list of his top ten groups. No females on the list! I take it he prefers the pre Buckingham-Nicks Fleetwood Mac.

1: The Beatles
2: The Rolling Stones
3: The Who
4: Sex Pistols
5: The Kinks
6: The La's
7: Pink Floyd
8: The Bee Gees
9: The Specials
10: (Peter Green's) Fleetwood Mac

The Bee Gees would be on there for their pre disco work. Incidentally, Lindsey used a rhythm from a Bee Gees song on the Rumors LP.

Lindsey certainly deserves more recognition as a guitar player. In the 1980s FM seemed to have an easy listening, radio friendly music reputation that was firmly in pop. It wasn't until I saw the 'Rosebud' documentary that I started realizing there was more to them. And then, the grunge artists started paying homage to the band.

Lindsey has the skill to be virtuoso but at the same time, he keeps the feel raw and direct. That's a deadly combo. On a youtube video he describes his style as 'refined primitive'.

However, there will always be people who prefer the Peter Green era and feel it was more 'authentic' blues music - many blues listeners tend to be 'purists'. They have the right to that if that is their interest and Peter Green fully deserves the respect. Lindsey had to try and take over from someone who was already a blues legend and maybe it was harder for some to take him seriously because of that. But he is certainly great in his own right. (I like to think that I can appreciate the best of both players.)

Fleetwood Mac are such an eclectic mix of individuals. At the outset they probably don't seem compatible but obviously it works for them in some crazy fashion.
Old 01-11-2016, 05:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy View Post

That made me wonder if Lindsey can play the banjo. Seems like he could.
He plays banjo on The Dance version of "Say You Love Me".
Old 01-13-2016, 08:51 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVielhaber View Post
He plays banjo on The Dance version of "Say You Love Me".
Thanks for that info So there you go Noel - Lindsey Buckingham is officially a genius! I wonder if playing that instrument led to his 'picking style'.

I read that the first time Noel quit Oasis was because Liam hit him over the head with a tambourine during a show. Lindsey is probably lucky that never happened to him.