The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default no mystics in first Fleetwood Mac?

They did not need to be mystical. If my memory serves me there were folks calling someone in the band "THE GREEN GOD".

Old 12-11-2009, 07:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
No matter who the personnel was: How about the very first line-up, Peter, Mick, Jeremy and Bob (Brunning).
Hey ... I'm only quoting what Stevie (supposedly) said. She oughta know mystical when she hears it. (lol)
Old 12-12-2009, 01:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicepace View Post
Hey ... I'm only quoting what Stevie (supposedly) said. She oughta know mystical when she hears it. (lol)
Actually from what I've read, Peter Green, and his girlfriend Sandra Elsdon were heavy into the mystical hippie BS of the time. Since Stevie Nicks is two months older than Jeremy Spencer, maybe she should've been the one to replace Spencer in 1971, if that could've happened.

"Black Magic Woman." Do I need to say more? (this saves me from serious vs. sarcasm, and the insane).

Last edited by slipkid; 12-12-2009 at 01:11 AM..
Old 12-12-2009, 03:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wouter Vuijk View Post
No matter who the personnel was: How about the very first line-up, Peter, Mick, Jeremy and Bob (Brunning). I can't sense any mysticism in their studio recordings as well as the in the Marquee live recording.
OMG, WHAT'S WRONG WITH ME???????
While technically not THAT line-up, just prior to that line-up, Pete did have The Supernatural with Mayall.

And then there was Black Magic Woman...

And the The Green Manalishi...

Of course, it was Lindsey and Christine that all but ripped of Peter with World Turning.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 12-12-2009, 02:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post

Of course, it was Lindsey and Christine that all but ripped of Peter with World Turning.
Not so much of a rip-off as a jumping off point for an entirely new conception. Welch's "Safe Harbour" has more in common with Green's "Albatross" than the white album's "World Turning" does with Green's earlier version...
Old 12-12-2009, 08:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittledemon View Post
I dont think anyone has ever posed this question... has anyone else noticed that on the recording (and the live performances) that Welch always says "Hyp-muh-tized"?
Funnily enough I was only thinking that on Friday night on my way back from the concert when I was listening to Hypnotized.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

By Kit O'Toole on Blog Critics.Org, March 25, 2010

http://blogcritics.org/music/article...leetwood-macs/
Enter Another World Through Fleetwood Mac's "Hypnotized"

Recently, as I was enjoying a Frappuccino at Starbucks, a haunting song began blaring from the store's P.A. system. Instantly I was sucked into its foot-tapping beat, laid-back vibe, and mysterious lyrics. Other than thinking that Starbucks was perhaps engaging in subliminal advertising (one of the lyrics talks about "two friends having coffee together"), I knew I had to discover the song's identity: "Hypnotized" by — to my surprise — Fleetwood Mac.

The song derives from the 1973 album, Mystery to Me, recorded after members Peter Green and Jeremy Spencer left the group. Guitarist Bob Welch (also known for his '70s ballad, "Sentimental Lady") and singer/keyboardist Christine McVie greatly influenced the sound of the band, which was gradually shifting from a blues-roots rock sound to a middle-of-the-road, soft rock feel. Welch left the band after Mystery to Me and the rest of the band relocated to Los Angeles to restart their flagging career. But "Hypnotized" represents some of Fleetwood Mac's greatest work.

According to Wikipedia's entry on the tune, Welch wrote the mystical lyrics while staying at the Benifold Mansion in Hampshire, England. Before Fleetwood Mac purchased the home, the previous owners of the mansion during the 1960s were part of a monastic order. Welch and the band recorded Mystery to Me in the mansion, which he believed "rather spooky and strange even in summertime," presumably due to its history. The album peaked at number 67 on the Billboard charts, but "Hypnotized" found a home on adult contemporary stations.

Fleetwood's drumming first draws in the listener, with John McVie's bass entwining each beat. Welch's jazz-like riffs add to the song's tone, which sounds like the perfect accompaniment for a late night drive. Then the creepy lyrics kick in, which start out innocently enough; two friends are enjoying coffee, "when something flies by their window." Welch refuses to explain this strange presence, leaving it to the listener to conjure their own images: "because there’s no explaining what your imagination/Can make you see and feel." By the time the chorus kicks in, Welch's voice is accented by background vocals, stressing the words "seems like a dream/Got me hypnotized."

The mystery deepens when Welch sings of North Carolina and "a strange, strange pond" and "a forest without a road." To add to the song's slightly disturbing aura, he adds that in Mexico, there is a place "where a man can fly over mountains and hills/And he don’t need an airplane or some kind of engine/And he never will." As the gentle guitar lines and steady drum beat swirl in the background, Welch finally discourages the listener from trying to make sense of any of these scenes: "Now you know it’s a meaningless question/To ask if those stories are right/'Cause what matters most is the feeling/You get when you’re hypnotized." As the song fades out, one gets the sense of leaving some kind of strange world and reentering everyday life.

"Hypnotized" represents a single at its best — one that can transport the listener into another world through creative wordplay and ear-catching guitar and drums. Welch's vocal performance, while low-key, only enhances the song's otherworldly feeling. It may have only been a modest hit, but "Hypnotized" remains a hidden treasure that grabs the listener and will not let go.

While "Hypnotized" is the standout, Mystery to Me also contains some catchy '70s rock that represents the band's change from its blues origins. While not available as a download, the CD can still be purchased, and is worth seeking out.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:03 PM
Senior Ledgie

I've just recently started working my way back through the Bob Welch era albums and MTM is an excellent. Like someone earlier said, there's no filler on there whatsoever. Definately one of FMs most consistent albums, more so than the White album I reckon.
Old 03-27-2010, 10:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
By Kit O'Toole on Blog Critics.Org, March 25, 2010

http://blogcritics.org/music/article...leetwood-macs/
Enter Another World Through Fleetwood Mac's "Hypnotized"

Recently, as I was enjoying a Frappuccino at Starbucks, a haunting song began blaring from the store's P.A. system. Instantly I was sucked into its foot-tapping beat, laid-back vibe, and mysterious lyrics. Other than thinking that Starbucks was perhaps engaging in subliminal advertising (one of the lyrics talks about "two friends having coffee together"), I knew I had to discover the song's identity: "Hypnotized" by — to my surprise — Fleetwood Mac.

The song derives from the 1973 album, Mystery to Me, recorded after members Peter Green and Jeremy Spencer left the group. Guitarist Bob Welch (also known for his '70s ballad, "Sentimental Lady") and singer/keyboardist Christine McVie greatly influenced the sound of the band, which was gradually shifting from a blues-roots rock sound to a middle-of-the-road, soft rock feel. Welch left the band after Mystery to Me and the rest of the band relocated to Los Angeles to restart their flagging career. But "Hypnotized" represents some of Fleetwood Mac's greatest work.

According to Wikipedia's entry on the tune, Welch wrote the mystical lyrics while staying at the Benifold Mansion in Hampshire, England. Before Fleetwood Mac purchased the home, the previous owners of the mansion during the 1960s were part of a monastic order. Welch and the band recorded Mystery to Me in the mansion, which he believed "rather spooky and strange even in summertime," presumably due to its history. The album peaked at number 67 on the Billboard charts, but "Hypnotized" found a home on adult contemporary stations.

Fleetwood's drumming first draws in the listener, with John McVie's bass entwining each beat. Welch's jazz-like riffs add to the song's tone, which sounds like the perfect accompaniment for a late night drive. Then the creepy lyrics kick in, which start out innocently enough; two friends are enjoying coffee, "when something flies by their window." Welch refuses to explain this strange presence, leaving it to the listener to conjure their own images: "because there’s no explaining what your imagination/Can make you see and feel." By the time the chorus kicks in, Welch's voice is accented by background vocals, stressing the words "seems like a dream/Got me hypnotized."

The mystery deepens when Welch sings of North Carolina and "a strange, strange pond" and "a forest without a road." To add to the song's slightly disturbing aura, he adds that in Mexico, there is a place "where a man can fly over mountains and hills/And he don’t need an airplane or some kind of engine/And he never will." As the gentle guitar lines and steady drum beat swirl in the background, Welch finally discourages the listener from trying to make sense of any of these scenes: "Now you know it’s a meaningless question/To ask if those stories are right/'Cause what matters most is the feeling/You get when you’re hypnotized." As the song fades out, one gets the sense of leaving some kind of strange world and reentering everyday life.

"Hypnotized" represents a single at its best — one that can transport the listener into another world through creative wordplay and ear-catching guitar and drums. Welch's vocal performance, while low-key, only enhances the song's otherworldly feeling. It may have only been a modest hit, but "Hypnotized" remains a hidden treasure that grabs the listener and will not let go.

While "Hypnotized" is the standout, Mystery to Me also contains some catchy '70s rock that represents the band's change from its blues origins. While not available as a download, the CD can still be purchased, and is worth seeking out.
Hey, thanks for posting this. I just heard this song again on Tuesday. I haven't been able to find the album that this song is on while I'm out & about, so I'm probably going to have to order it through Barnes & Noble on-line.

Lee
Old 08-13-2015, 11:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Rapid City Journal by By John Maron and Bradford Brady

http://rapidcityjournal.com/blackhil...d67a18959.html

Q: In the old Fleetwood Mac song, “Hypnotized,” there’s a line about a place in North Carolina. Where is the place?

A: “Hypnotized” is one of Fleetwood Mac’s early ’70s hits before they changed their lineup and became superstars. Written by Bob Welch, the song from the 1973 album, “Mystery to Me,” is about strange, unexplained events. The lyrics were inspired by a conversation Welch had with a friend who was from Winston-Salem, North Carolina. According to Welch, the friend told him of a crater about 20 miles from town that had “smooth sides like melted glass.” There were no visible access roads to the site so the friend thought the crater might have been caused by a meteor. Welch was a member of Fleetwood Mac from 1971 to 1974. Other than “Hypnotized,” he is best known for his top-10 solo hit “Sentimental Lady” from 1978.
Old 08-16-2015, 02:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Not so much of a rip-off as a jumping off point for an entirely new conception. Welch's "Safe Harbour" has more in common with Green's "Albatross" than the white album's "World Turning" does with Green's earlier version...
New conception? Not really, World Turning is both lyrically and musically a rip off World Keeps On Turning.