The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-12-2018, 12:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Am I being too hopeful or did he seem like he’d be forgiving if reconciliation was on the table?

The part that interested me most was how he talked about the “factions” losing their perspective and not rising above to fulfill their destiny... what does he mean by that? I take it to mean that Stevie would rather tour/get money over pursuing creative fulfillment through an album... but that doesn’t really seem to fit with the established narrative given that no Fleetwood Mac album was on the table. Unless he is saying that they tried to suppress his artistic truth because he wanted to use this time for another album, as was reported in the press. This whole thing is so sad.
Old 05-12-2018, 12:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post

Not surprised Linds is a Democrat! I am too (well, I'm in the Australian Labor Party).
Old 05-12-2018, 12:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyfee View Post
Am I being too hopeful or did he seem like he’d be forgiving if reconciliation was on the table?

The part that interested me most was how he talked about the “factions” losing their perspective and not rising above to fulfill their destiny... what does he mean by that? I take it to mean that Stevie would rather tour/get money over pursuing creative fulfillment through an album... but that doesn’t really seem to fit with the established narrative given that no Fleetwood Mac album was on the table. Unless he is saying that they tried to suppress his artistic truth because he wanted to use this time for another album, as was reported in the press. This whole thing is so sad.
i think you are probably overthinking it. i think factions is just saying it was not the whole band but just some people who ousted him. he always talks about them staying together as a band to fulfill their destiny, raising above themselves to be better people, that kind of stuff.

this evening was so cathartic - i never in a million years thought he was gonna address FM issues tonight at that event. i'm so glad he did, and in such an amazing, eloquent, classy way.

#wearenotworthy

and he told several fans who were there that he will be releasing Best Of album and is planning the fall tour, possibly to start in August (or maybe September?). this evening was like a dream come true and clouds finally lifting!

i loved that he also talked about new opportunities.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 05-12-2018, 01:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Angry

Quote:
i think you are probably overthinking it. i think factions is just saying it was not the whole band but just some people who ousted him. he always talks about them staying together as a band to fulfill their destiny, raising above themselves to be better people, that kind of stuff.

this evening was so cathartic - i never in a million years thought he was gonna address FM issues tonight at that event. i'm so glad he did, and in such an amazing, eloquent, classy way.

#wearenotworthy

and he told several fans who were there that he will be releasing Best Of album and is planning the fall tour, possibly to start in August (or maybe September?). this evening was like a dream come true and clouds finally lifting!

i loved that he also talked about new opportunities.
I feel like such a sucker for buying a Fleetwood Mac ticket. How are they able to go on with people who themselves are ex members of established bands? It tarnishes the legacy of Crowded House and of Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers, not just Fleetwood Mac.
This man is so articulate, sensitive and intelligent.
Shame on Fleetwood Mac.
Old 05-12-2018, 01:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secret love View Post
Not surprised Linds is a Democrat! I am too (well, I'm in the Australian Labor Party).
Lol right???
Everything about him screams Democrat. I can't believe some people were mad about it
Old 05-12-2018, 01:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

“Some factions” tells me that he doesn’t blame everyone in the band.

“Losing perspective” is completely open to interpretation. Maybe at this stage, his perspective and theirs were just too far removed. It happens, and it sucks.

Either way, I am sad that it was Lindsey who got booted.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 05-12-2018, 01:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyfee View Post

Maybe down the line when enough time has passed and wounds have healed...but they might be too old for that sadly.
And I think he meant it to be a general statement that they got caught up in the conflict/desire for money/easy way out and lost sight of the most important thing-- preserving the legacy of that beautiful band. And he's 150% right that that is the saddest thing about it all. I don't think he's as upset about them screwing him over as he is about the legacy being ruined. It might have been part of his psychoanalysis therapist babble, but I always fully believed that what he said about cycles was true, and that it really meant a lot for him to 'finish' the journey.
Old 05-12-2018, 01:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Hell, I disagreed with most of one lineup of Guided by Voices politically and agreed completely with another. I rode in vans for weeks at a time with these people, and gladly would again, either way. Politics is only one part of life. People have different outlooks. Doesn’t mean people have to live exclusively through that lense.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 05-12-2018, 01:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotafraid View Post
I thought he was answering with such class.
But then he lost me when he went political.

I know it was a political event. And I expected
him to be liberal like the majority of celebrities
are. Even so, I am disappointed.

I wish I hadn't even watched the video.
The majority of educated Americans who live in big cities tend to be engaged in their communities and politically active. Why is that disappointing?
This is a democracy and thank god there are still people who have a point of view with critical thinking skills intact. There’s a big world out there when you turn off Fox News. Wake the **** up.
Old 05-12-2018, 08:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotafraid View Post
I thought he was answering with such class.
But then he lost me when he went political.

I know it was a political event. And I expected
him to be liberal like the majority of celebrities
are. Even so, I am disappointed.

I wish I hadn't even watched the video.

????? Bit of a strange one.

I can't seem to find it now but I'm sure there was footage of Lindsey a couple of years ago playing guitar (with another musician- cant remember who) at another political fundraiser. Was it for Tim Kaine????

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 05-12-2018, 09:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
????? Bit of a strange one.

I can't seem to find it now but I'm sure there was footage of Lindsey a couple of years ago playing guitar (with another musician- cant remember who) at another political fundraiser. Was it for Tim Kaine????
Yes, Tim Kaine.
Old 05-12-2018, 12:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

LB is a democrat and fans know it, on both sides of the aisle as far as politics goes - and that doesn't defer them from being fans.

we can stop discussing that particular kind of politics here.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 05-12-2018, 02:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
LB is a democrat and fans know it, on both sides of the aisle as far as politics goes - and that doesn't defer them from being fans.

we can stop discussing that particular kind of politics here.
Right. And John is a conservative, whichever political party in the UK he chooses to align with. He's never said but he's been clear he's strongly not Labour.

And he's in a band with at least one avowed Democrat.

And yet I like them both. Go figure.
Old 05-12-2018, 02:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
Maybe down the line when enough time has passed and wounds have healed...but they might be too old for that sadly.
And I think he meant it to be a general statement that they got caught up in the conflict/desire for money/easy way out and lost sight of the most important thing-- preserving the legacy of that beautiful band. And he's 150% right that that is the saddest thing about it all. I don't think he's as upset about them screwing him over as he is about the legacy being ruined. It might have been part of his psychoanalysis therapist babble, but I always fully believed that what he said about cycles was true, and that it really meant a lot for him to 'finish' the journey.
Exactly!

He even stated what that was-- that their legacy, their "higher calling" whatever... was to rise above the daily grind of the egos and everything else involved in being in a band (broken hearts, anyone?) and soldier on to make good music. He *said* this in his comments.

And now they are *not* rising above the difficulties and disagreements and challenges to find a way forward, and he's saying it's sad that given how often they HAVE managed to do this in the past (breakups, people leaving, etc) they can't pull it out just one last time so they can end on a note of surviving all the vicissitudes of rock success. In the end, in the final hour, they managed to not live up to their own track record and legacy of patching it up and soldiering on for one last tour. Now they'll be remembered for holding it together long enough to fall apart at the very end.

I think the "factions" bit, like people have said, means he recognizes certain people were the instigators and certain other people got swept along in the momentum (e.g., John possibly, and Chris).
Old 05-12-2018, 02:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

y'all know that it pains me to have to post Trouble video, but here it is anway, from last night