The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-16-2008, 05:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default 3 more reasons why LB is a genius (blog)

http://the21gunsalute.blogspot.com/2...hat-funny.html
Old 01-16-2008, 05:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

women's suits?

But the writer's right of course.

Old 01-16-2008, 07:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

omg

http://bp3.blogger.com/_KVlB3grV1lY/...Buckingham.jpg
Old 01-17-2008, 06:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackaghost View Post

Old 01-17-2008, 08:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackaghost View Post
Oh, ****, I could have drawn this.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by danax6 View Post
Oh, ****, I could have drawn this.
And you'd receive an "A" for it from this Audiovisual teacher. Or is it an "E"?

Old 01-17-2008, 06:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Is this an abandoned illustration for STORMS by CAH ?
Old 01-17-2008, 08:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy View Post
Is this an abandoned illustration for STORMS by CAH ?
Maybe it was the first cover idea.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1LiddyBuckFan View Post
Maybe it was the first cover idea.
I would have prefered it to the actual cover
Old 01-25-2008, 11:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Actually, come to think of it...you don't even really need to read the book. That picture says it all.

Old 01-25-2008, 03:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[Hey, this guy isn't stupid. It's not an opinion. It's a FACT: ]

By Larry Dobrow
http://adage.com/mediaworks/article?article_id=123297

Published: January 24, 2008

This here internet place may have proved a boon for the distribution and "legal" sharing of songs, but it has been the worst thing imaginable for the art of music criticism. Let's face it: Everybody holds several indisputably stupid opinions about music -- like my contention that Fleetwood Mac's Lindsey Buckingham is one of the three greatest guitar players who has ever lived -- and the internet allows us to proclaim them loudly, taste and common sense be damned. Sharing, in the public domain as in interpersonal relationships, is bad.

Anybody who doubts this hasn't passed a few hours with the turbo-snobs at Pitchfork, those deathly self-serious arbiters of all that is good and decent in the world of music. The site, which started up as an online indie-rock haven more than 10 years ago, has evolved into an influential beast, with the "approved by Pitchfork!" tag spurring sales and college-radio airplay. This is as revolting a development for music fans as the prospect of another Crosby, Stills & Nash record (oh, snap).

My problem with Pitchfork boils down to this: Its contributors don't seem to like music very much. Rather, they revel in the role of tastemaker, sternly lecturing the audience as to why Band X is cooler/more worthy of an opening slot on that super-awesome Band of Horses/Cass McCombs double bill than Band Y, and why anyone who only recently happened upon "Neon Bible" (raising hand) is a mainstream poser who totally doesn't get what Arcade Fire is all about, man.

The Comic Book Guy 'tude annoys the hell out of me. I don't see any point in playing along with Pitchfork's sucks-sucks-GOOD game, especially when there are 72,000 Ultragrrls and Ultraguys out there in the internet ether, writing about music in a way that makes me want to listen. Along those lines, check out the recently resuscitated Popdose and the pathologically enthusiastic I Am Fuel, You Are Friends. Snark is boring; give me the incredibly literate enthusiasm of these two sites over the trademark Pitchfork hoity-toityness any day.

Also, as an individual who makes a living arranging nouns and verbs in coherent working order, I'm put off by the quality of Pitchfork's writing, especially in its bread-and-butter reviews. There's bad writing everywhere on the web, and lord knows I'm a repeat offender, but it's tough to stomach the tortured analogies and unforgivable puns (the aforementioned Band of Horses have "saddled up for the long haul." Get it? Get it?). Forget merely siccing a few members of the Bad-Writing Police on them; Pitchfork demands the assembly of a Federal Bad-Writing Task Force, complete with subpoena power and automatic weaponry.

Don't buy it? Check out the following, and sadly representative, descriptive flourish: "The girl who put the 'grr' in Sugababe went solo with a snoozy album of measured soul-pop maturity. But this collaboration finds Mutya Buena playing with her grumpy fire, teetering toward an ex-created freak-out. Her counter-vocal plays nervous conscience --'Don't panic panic Mutya!' -- but the wrath is building. Luckily for her, and for us, she gets even, not mad, swapping tense electropop for a skylarking synth climax and freewheeling New Order bass."

What's this about who's what now? I get the XTC/"Skylarking" nod (at least I hope it's an XTC nod, as the dictionary definition of "skylark" is "to run up and down the rigging of a ship in sport"). But for the love of Andy Partridge, just tell us whether you like the damn song. I sure wish this review had run in a print publication, so that I could tear it out and burn it in my "grumpy fire" later tonight.

The site's features fare much better in this regard, with the "Found Sound" recaps of rediscovered old records offering moments both warm and witty. Pitchfork also deserves props for updating its news section early and often as well as for its intuitive design, from which any number of minimally navigable music sites could learn something.

Nonetheless, Pitchfork is a lost cause for advertisers. Music labels can't get anywhere near the site, lest that one of the bands it hypes winds up on the receiving end of one of Pitchfork's meanie-pants barbs. Gizmo makers aren't a good fit because the site's ahead-of-every-curve-ever-always-4-life influentials are already onto the next big thing by the time marketers get around to touting the previous one. Indie-ish movies or books, maybe? I dunno. It's a little sad, really, that the trickle of Google Ads on Pitchfork's "Reviews" page is the best the company can do.

As anyone who's ever met me in person knows, I am Mr. Rock and Roll. The feathered shoulder-length hair, the ballsy swagger, the low-lidded gaze -- I'm a mellower, slightly less goth James Taylor. I relish the discovery of new music and devote an inordinate amount of effort to the process. I'm happiest with a guitar on my lap or with an iPod on my hip.

That said, I'd no sooner spend any significant length of time with Pitchfork than with "No Jacket Required." (Yeah, I just went there.) If you can't find a better way to sate your music jones than by perusing Pitchfork, you're not trying very hard. (Note: I have written about music in the past for Blender.com and GuitarJamDaily.com.)
Old 01-25-2008, 08:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1LiddyBuckFan View Post
Actually, come to think of it...you don't even really need to read the book. That picture says it all.
thats true
I didnt know she was only 22 though, but if you think about it, 6 years really isnt that much of a difference.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrislit18 View Post
thats true
I didnt know she was only 22 though, but if you think about it, 6 years really isnt that much of a difference.
well, numerically it isn't. and from say, 30 to 36.. 40 to 46 or whatever it's not that much. but in terms of life experience, it definitely is. there's a WORLD of difference from 20 to 21 and 21 to say, 23 or 24.. 22 to 28 isn't a huge number, but when you factor in all the changes that happen in your 20s. yeah. not to mention she was 22 getting swept up in a rock-excess superstar circus.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

oh yeah, but i did mean in age, people act like 6 years is a lot, but i dont see it that way, my parents were 6 years apart.

But regarding that last part Sarah, about getting swept up into the rockstar stuff, yeah I felt bad for her in that way, if what she said in her book was completely true, and she never did drugs or drank or any of that and was around it all the time, it really corrupted her. and that would totallly suck.
Old 01-26-2008, 12:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
By Larry Dobrow
http://adage.com/mediaworks/article?article_id=123297

Published: January 24, 2008

This here internet place may have proved a boon for the distribution and "legal" sharing of songs, but it has been the worst thing imaginable for the art of music criticism. Let's face it: Everybody holds several indisputably stupid opinions about music -- like my contention that Fleetwood Mac's Lindsey Buckingham is one of the three greatest guitar players who has ever lived
The art of music criticism takes one in the kisser from Larry Dobrow when he commits a usage gaffe like that. Should be: "Lindsey Buckingham is one of the three greatest guitar players who have ever lived."