Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-10-2004, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by face of glass
Well I think that sometimes the opposing side has been getting out of control on the BN board too.
There's the proof. Gaius is shipper. Gaius is a shipper.
Old 06-10-2004, 03:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Finland, the country where polar bears walk on the streets singing "Silver Girl"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarneVaca
There's the proof. Gaius is shipper. Gaius is a shipper.
Nah, I just laugh at both sides. I'm above you all you know. (<--- let it be my most common smiley then.)

^ - "a selfindulged, but funny butthead of a Fin" - Shackin'up
Old 06-10-2004, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Nah, I just laugh at both sides. I'm above you all you know.
Are we talking latitudes again? <---- hey, this is fun!
Old 06-10-2004, 04:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Finland, the country where polar bears walk on the streets singing "Silver Girl"

Err, no. And I'm off to bed because I just heard the Timespace remix of "Talk To Me" and that's enough of Mac for me tonight.

Old 06-10-2004, 05:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Well I think that sometimes the opposing side has been getting out of control on the BN board too. Nancy does an admirable job in the middle of all that.
Now this is what I like to hear! Flattery will get you everywhere.

Old 06-10-2004, 05:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Is it possible he was going to have a theme for the album. Does the song Gift of Screws also fit? I've always seen that song as somewhat political as well.
I have an interp for this all written out, which I am pleased to share with everyone who cares to read it!

As Dickinson fans know, this is referring to her poem "Essential Oils Are Wrung" (to read the poem, click here: Essential Oils are Wrung )

"Essential oils are wrung" - Things we deem necessary to life, our life's blood in effect, "wrung" out through suffering, trial and tribulation. The "attar" is the essence - after these these trials, we come down to the "essence" of something. The essence of a rose is precious. The essence of the soul of man is likewise very precious. However, the essence cannot be reached without struggling. "Is not expressed by suns alone" - the natural course of nature is not enough to bring out the true core of something. That's the "gift of screws." Being twisted like a screw, wrung out....suffering...gives a person the gift of discovering the true essence of his/her soul, purified by trials of fire.

I think Lindsey's using this poem to express the struggles of his life enriching his music and bringing out his true essence. Whether it's Rumours and the suffering of Stevie's breakup, Go Insane and the suffering with Carol, the suffering of FM's nasty breakup to convince him to leave and find himself with Out of the Cradle...all good things borne of tribulation.

However, poems being as they are (just like lyrics) there's a thousand ways to go. Another possible interpretation I see is a more cynical one. In order to "smell sweet" in the music industry (like an essence of a rose) he has to tie himself into knots..."authority makes us bleed." It's not enough for him to just be himself, his true "nature". The finished product of all this twisting, "sweet-smelling" commercialization is considered a "gift" because he's considered more marketable but in reality, he's been diminished. Some gift! As a result, poor Lindsey is screwed by the industry. Now, I prefer the more uplifting interpretation myself, but this one did occur to me as well, so I thought I'd mention it.

Well, no Greek gods in my vision, but anybody else got any ideas?

P.S. Just thought I'd add that my friend Amy thinks Lindsey is speaking about his gift of screwing women skillfully. "To the left... to the right... up and down... in and out... and around..." To quote her, "It's kind of like The Joy of Sex~very instructional." Perhaps Lindsey is rejoicing in the wringing of his essential oils when he screams at the end "That's right, baby! Uh-huh! uh-huh!" [then incoherent cries as music fades.]

Hmm, maybe that's the tie-in. Greek gods are notoriously randy.

Last edited by sodascouts; 06-10-2004 at 05:30 PM.. Reason: Adding Amy's vision. ;)
Old 06-10-2004, 07:16 PM

Interesting, Nancy. I believe I had read your interpretation before; it rings a bell. You may be on to something there.

Notice the "suns" reference, which also appears in Peacekeeper. There was definitely a theme to Gift of Screws, I think. The same is true for Out of the Cradle. Several images and allusions pop up in different songs.

Incidentally, I have been reading the complete works of Emily Dickinson. A few poems here, a few poems there. Sometimes I just drown myself in her words. What an amazing poet.

Last edited by CarneVaca; 06-10-2004 at 07:18 PM..
Old 06-11-2004, 12:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
And I'm off to bed because I just heard the Timespace remix of "Talk To Me" and that's enough of Mac for me tonight.
Not to be all nit-picky... *lol*... but, excluding the three new songs on 'Timespace,' the only tracks that weren't remixed were "Talk To Me" and "I Can't Wait" (Stevie explained that the tapes had gotten brittle, and were in danger of breaking... so they kept the original mixes of those two).

So there is no 'Timespace' remix of "Talk To Me."
Old 06-11-2004, 04:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew
So there is no 'Timespace' remix of "Talk To Me."
Is there even a re-recorded vocal? To me it sounds less powerful, like it's the 1991 Nicks trying to recapture the power of the 1985 one but partially failing. Or it could be another overdub laid on the original one.

Oh, wait a minute, it's that Lord-Alge again, trying to make the album more smooth for years. Thanks a lot Chris.

Old 06-11-2004, 10:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Is there even a re-recorded vocal? To me it sounds less powerful, like it's the 1991 Nicks trying to recapture the power of the 1985 one but partially failing. Or it could be another overdub laid on the original one.

Oh, wait a minute, it's that Lord-Alge again, trying to make the album more smooth for years. Thanks a lot Chris.
There is an alternate take out there. Its one and only appearance was on a various artists compilation called 'Only Rock 'n Roll: 1985-1989.'
That version was recorded early on during the 'Rock A Little' sessions, and then (according to her 1985 interview with Jim Ladd), Stevie says she decided she could sing it better, so she re-recorded it.

That must have been what you heard.

By the way, I take it you have no love lost for Chris Lord-Alge!
Personally, I think he's great at what he does... and has a knack for finding the right sound to give an album a good flow and a sense of cohesion. Especially an album that features multiple-producers.
But that's just me.
Old 06-12-2004, 12:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
"Red Rover," I believe, is about hubris. And as such, the gods are figuring out just what to do about it.
That's an interesting perspective, CarneVaca. The song still puzzles me, however.

Can it be about the visits Lindsey used to make to his father's grave, & the "chats" he had with his dead dad?

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 06-12-2004, 12:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question Lessee here...

Here is another interp in regards to his dad's death and comforting his mother.

"Why do you come around so very much? You know it just brings you down, it's just something you can touch." - Asking his mom why she goes to the gravesite, it only upsets her, but he understands, it's tangible, because her love is gone.

"You don't belong here, I guess you never did." - He could be talking to his father now....saying, you were so good, dad, maybe you didn't belong on earth. Trying to rationalize his being gone, part of the grieving process.

"Whisper murder in your ear, you just keep it so well hid." - This dang line always confuses me. LOL Perhaps his mom was mad at God for "murdering" her husband...for taking him too soon, and she kept that from others because it's too shocking. She hid that thought from everyone else.

"Anyone at all could see what was missing. Could see you were dying though no one was crying." - Maybe there were signs that he was going to have a heart attack, chest pains or something, and they saw it in hindsight. Looking back, we should have known this was going to happen soon.

"And the lips you were kissing, night after night, all were bathed in blue, all bathed in white" - Obviously...the man she kissed is gone.

"Red rover, red rover, red rover, we come to take you over." - Taking his dad to Heaven.

"One of the quiet ones one of the few" - Perhaps his dad was a quiet man.

"Now fall down onto your knees show us all what you can do." - Stretching here, but perhaps his dad would get on his knees to play with the boys, being the good daddy that he was.

"We came around here to see if you were well" - Lindsey, other family members going to check on his mom, see how she was doing after his dad's death.

"And there's nothing for you to fear in Heaven or in Hell" - She is still alive, so there is nothing to fear.

Like I said....who knows WHAT the frick he's talking about. David, you hit a good point...it COULD be Lindsey talking to HIMSELF about his dad and his emotions after he died.

I can't leave this alone. LOL David's post got me to thinking, if Lindsey is talking to himself, that would go along with my interp regarding his mom. Perhaps, he was comforting himself and maybe talking about the therapy he went to...the therapist may have told him "Don't fear Heaven or Hell." or something. "One of the quiet ones...etc." could be Lindsey. The "we" could be LB's family and friends checking on him.

AAAAHHH!!!! This song frickin RULES!!!!!!

Last edited by wondergirl9847; 06-12-2004 at 12:25 AM..
Old 08-17-2013, 12:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

loved reading through this thread and various interpretations!

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 08-29-2013, 06:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'll take a crack at it...First of all you have to remember/understand what the game Red Rover is about. http://http://www.wikihow.com/Play-Red-Rover

The object of the game is to break through the other teams defenses and take one of their members back to your team. Once everyone is all on one team the team with all the players wins. I think Lindsey sees 2 teams Fleetwood Mac (Mick, John, & Chris) and Buckingham Nicks (Lindsey & Stevie). In essence Fleetwood Mac won the game of Red Rover they broke through Buckingham/Nicks defenses and absorbed the duo, so Buckingham Nicks became Fleetwood Mac (one team)

When Lindsey said the song was about GODS looking down on the people below and trying to decide (I think he said) if they should let the people (live ?) during the taping of Sound Stage, I think anytime he mentions GODS he is talking about Fleetwood Mac (Mick, John & Christine) and in this instance" the people" are Buckingham Nicks. Fleetwood Mac was well established by the time Buckingham Nicks joined and so to Stevie and Lindsey, Mick, John and Chris may very well have seemed like musical GODS at the time they joined.

In Peacekeeper there's a line that says " You know all of our friends are gods"

So looking at it from that point of view I think the lyrics mean this:

Why do you come around so very much
You know it just brings you down it’s just something you can touch
You don’t belong here I guess you never did

Lindsey is speaking like he's Mick, Chris or John, asking himself why do you keep coming back to Fleetwood Mac, you know it just upsets you and makes you sad. You never belonged here anyway.

Whisper murder in your ear you just keep it so well hid

When Lindsey talks about Murder, I believe he's talking about the death of Buckingham/Nicks. Stevie said Buckingham/Nicks had to die so Fleetwood Mac could live. You just keep it so well hid means he acts like he doesn't care that his and Stevie's duo dissolved (but we all know he does)

Anyone at all could see what was missing
Could see you were dying though no one was crying

I think this means that when you saw Lindsey you could see he was very unhappy and depressed (in essence he was dying inside), but no one either in the band or around the band cared.

And the lips you were kissing night after night
All were bathed in blue all bathed in white

I don't think he literally means kissing someone, but playing up to them, sweet talking them etc... so I think he's talking about Stevie. Saying when they are on stage he's crying over her, and being lovey dovey to her (not all the time, but a lot of the time). All bathed in blue and white are the colors of the stage lights. When Sister of the Moon played Stevie had blue lighting on her.

Red Rover red rover red rover
We've come we've come we've come we've come to take you over

Again I think this is Fleetwood Mac coming to take over (or destroy) Buckingham/Nicks.

One of the quiet ones one of the few
Now fall down onto your knees show us all what you can do

The quite one I think is John. In the early day's people have said John and Lindsey use to argue a lot about the music. So I think this could be Lindsey speaking like he's John and more or less saying OK Lindsey, you think your so great, why don't you fall down on your knees and show us what you can do (musically with the guitar)

We came around here to see if you were well
And there’s nothing for you to fear in heaven or in hell

Here I think Lindsey is speaking from Micks point of view acting like it's time for Fleetwood Mac to get back together for a new CD. So Mick is talking to Lindsey saying he was checking up on him to see how he's doing (is he well?). Mick then says there's nothing for you to fear in heaven or in hell. I think heaven or hell is a reference to Fleetwood Mac. It was heaven on stage, but hell off stage, so Micks is saying you have nothing to fear coming back to Fleetwood Mac to record a new CD with them.

Last edited by Deeshere; 08-30-2013 at 09:28 AM..