Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-10-2002, 02:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Yep!

Quote:
Originally posted by BellaDonnaGypsy
Has anyone actually bought a copy of the magazine yet? I should have looked for it today when I was in London, but had other things on my mind...

Laura.
Well here's my "weirdness" shot for the day..!! I was sitting at home bored so I decided to go out and actually buy the magazine from Tower Records...the section on Lindsey was so pathetically small that I didn't bother buying it......I just got back now and I see your post!

I remember Lindsey's section perfectly though:

There's a picture of the cover of the Rumours album followed by:

"The tasty fingerpicker ushered in Fleetwood Mac's most successful period, playing on Rumours and Tango In The Night"

Wow...talk about "in-depth" huh!

Also in the same magazine there was a "guest's article" about some good fingerpicking guitarist called "Colin something" and he had Lindsey in his top 5 guitarists, saying that he was addicted to listening to his elder sister's copy of Rumours and his favourite track was Never Going Back Again. He's written an acoustic tribute to The Chain (which when I had a glance at the tabs for in the same article looked like it was The Chain just in a different key!).

There ya go Laura...and anyone else who cares!

Last edited by seteca; 08-10-2002 at 02:51 PM..
Old 08-10-2002, 02:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation Here's another...

"Top 100" list from "Guitar World", "The Top 100 Guitar Solos":

http://www.guitarteacher.com/lessons...ion/top100.htm

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 08-10-2002, 03:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Here's another...

Quote:
Originally posted by estranged4life
"Top 100" list from "Guitar World", "The Top 100 Guitar Solos":

http://www.guitarteacher.com/lessons...ion/top100.htm
And "The Chain" and "Go Your Own Way" are missing from this list because.....?

There's a list of "Greatest 100 Guitar Solos And How To Play Them" in the magazine Guitar Technique this month but I couldn't find a copy of it today, I'll try to find one soon and see if LB's listed.

Old 08-10-2002, 06:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hmm... I don't think I'll bother buying it then... They could at least show some respect and put a picture of Lindsey himself, as opposed to the usual Rumours cover showing Stevie and Mick.

Laura.
Old 08-11-2002, 01:38 AM

Default Thanks Seteca and ChiliD

Seteca and ChiliD, thanks for the response on the top 3 issue.

Now, about those 100 top guitar solos . . . what about So Afraid?
Old 08-11-2002, 08:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Thanks Seteca and ChiliD

Quote:
Originally posted by Rainman
....Now, about those 100 top guitar solos . . . what about So Afraid?
I'm pretty sure this list is album/original versions only, and to be honest, looking at the songs on the list, I don't think the original I'm So Afraid end solo from the White Album is worthy of being in the top 100.
If the Dance version (which so obviously is not an "improvised" solo anyway, it sounds waaay too rehearsed.....would make sense though seeing as he knew they were gonna make an album out of it) was the original studio version, then I personally would have placed it in there, as it's one of the most powerful solos (and pieces of music) I have ever heard, but I could understand if it was missing simply because of lack of fame.
However, what I don't understand is why The Chain and/or Go Your Own Way are missing from the list...by the looks of it the list is a mixture of technically amazing solos and/or simply worldwide famous solos....and both those solos definitely qualify for the latter.

Oh well.....

Old 08-11-2002, 08:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This top 100 guitarists thing is, as usual, totally different than any one person would agree with. Some REALLY strange choices and positions on this one though.

I've got to say I think James Marshall Hendrix is probably the most influential and innovative guitarist ever, does this make him the greatest guitarist? Probably, but not top on my list.

I'd have to say, the players that have influenced ME the most are :-

Eric Clapton
Mark Knopfler
Slash
Lindsey Buckingham
Peter Green
Jimi Hendrix
George Harrison

Technically, Knopfler and Buckingham are for me, the best. Emotionally, Peter and Eric are my "best" they ooze emotion, as do Harrison and Knopfler. Slash has the most amazing speed and fluidity I've ever seen plus he is the "coolest" of the bunch with the best stage aura.

All of the above have their own "tone". Listen to a song and you can just tell who it is. So distinctive.

Overall EC has to be top of my list. As much as I love the others, I really do, they don't call him "God" for nothing. He's played with them all, been around for ever (for me) and been to hell and back. Everything he plays live is quite outstanding and just when you think he's faded from the scene, he's back with something fresh. Total Genius.

Mark Knopfler even decided to play for him on a tour because of the stature of the man, even Jimi was in awe of him in the 60's.

But then Eric himself openly bows to Peter Green!

Old 08-12-2002, 01:36 PM
Ledgie

Angry WTF???

Neither a Johnny nor a Bucky Pizzarelli anywhere?

(BTW: Chili, nice call including Ry in your list!)
Old 08-12-2002, 01:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: WTF???

Quote:
Originally posted by Carole Ann

(BTW: Chili, nice call including Ry in your list!)
Yeah, Chili, Ry Cooder, slide legend extraordinaire!

Come to think of it, where are Chris Rea and Sonny Landreth???

Old 08-12-2002, 02:19 PM

Default So Afraid solo from The Dance

I'm pretty sure this list is album/original versions only, and to be honest, looking at the songs on the list, I don't think the original I'm So Afraid end solo from the White Album is worthy of being in the top 100.

Seteca, I'd say this is a good call. Yes, the version from THE DANCE is extraordinary and rich with emotion. So are Big Love and Go Insane (the latter not necessarily being a blazing guitar solo but nonetheless some pretty expressive guitar work).

Thanks for a thoughtful reply.
Old 08-12-2002, 03:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

In regards to Lindsey's guitar solos, none are extraordinarily flashy, nor technically intricate. In particular, "The Chain"...hell, he plays one friggin' note til it fades...nothing spectacular about that...even a total novice guitar player with a bit of an ear can play that solo. "Go Your Own Way"'s fade out solo is a mix of multiple solos faded in & out by Ken Caillat to make the "signature" solo that we all know & love...the solos that are on the list are "one pass" solos, one guitar part from beginning to end, not a patchwork of multiple takes blended to make one solo.

Actually, I DO find the studio solo on "I'm So Afraid" to be much more intense than any live version...why? you ask? Because he has a shorter time to reach the climax than he does on the live versions.

My favorite "solo" is Martin Barre's solo on the original studio version of Jethro Tull's "Aqualung". Just amazing. I read a bit in a guitar magazine a few months ago where Martin said that as he was out in the studio just about to play the solo, Jimmy Page walked into the control room and watched intently. Martin's solo was FIRST take. They'd done a couple of subsequent takes, but it's the first one that they used.
Old 08-12-2002, 04:03 PM

Default Okay, what about Big Love?

"In regards to Lindsey's guitar solos, none are extraordinarily flashy, nor technically intricate."

ChiliD, this may be true for the songs you mentioned, but surely you can't say this about the live/accoustic version of Big Love, can you? I mean, how intricate can you get?
Old 08-12-2002, 04:05 PM

Default Aqualung

"My favorite "solo" is Martin Barre's solo on the original studio version of Jethro Tull's "Aqualung". "

ChiliD, forgot to say this has always been one of mine, too. Thanks for the anecdote about it.
Old 08-12-2002, 04:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up My favorite solo...

is David Gilmour's solo on the live version of "Comfortably Numb" from the Pink Floyd "Delicate Sound Of Thunder" live album...A VERY close second is Mark Knopfler's solo on "Brothers In Arms" from the "Brothers In Arms" album ...Brian

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 08-12-2002, 04:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
but surely you can't say this about the live/accoustic version of Big Love, can you?
Sure, I can. That whole SONG is intricate...only from a fingerpicking standpoint...if you notice what he's fretting, he's just changing chord structures (even in that he's holding down an Am chord and just changing the bass note), it's all in the fingerpicking (and a little added digital delay) that gives it the intricate sound.

The premise of the list, I think, is just the SOLO section of certain songs. From that standpoint, Lindsey's solos aren't intricate at all.

Quote:
David Gilmour's solo on the live version of "Comfortably Numb"
Anyone else hear the similarity between DG's solo on "Comfortably Numb" and LB's solo on "I'm So Afraid"??