The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-13-2011, 04:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Might be a tad over dramatic. That's genuinely what I feel when i think of this album. Sorry. I geuss I was so hyped......and.....this. lol. Anyway it's subjective. If you enjoy it rock on. I'm glad really Nico;

Mick

-Tom Waits
Old 12-13-2011, 05:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
You guys are too over-dramatic here. SWS makes you sad? What even is that? Look, I'm going to try and put myself in someone's mind who doesn't like SWS (very hard for me but I'm doing it). Even then I'm trying to hear how anyone can think it's THAT bad. So the mixing isn't up to your standards...I get it. Still, the album is NOT that bad to make people sad. Unless you have some kind of emotional reaction to the song lyrics or something...

WTH?

I'm going to officially name myself the only SWS stan here. I have nothing bad to say about the album and I still listen to it constantly. So perhaps you should pop out your OOTC and original GOS instead. Hmph.
Don't even think about it I love it too ( see page 1 ) And I listen to it every day...yes, every day

Though, after my initial response, I have let you do all of the fighting for it
Old 12-13-2011, 05:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
Is it fair to compare SWS to the original bootlegged version of GoS that was leaked in 2001? That album was a masterpiece in its original form that was later frittered away bit-by-bit onto various FM and solo projects in a decidedly less successful manner. To be honest, that original GoS is probably the only Lindsey album that I really, really enjoy. SWS is just too... overwrought and a bit smarmy. There is nothing on there that comes close to "Down on Rodeo" or "Red Rover" or even "Someone's Gonna Change Your Mind."
see, i was just thinking about the bootlegged GOS today. and i completely agree with you - THAT was my favorite LB's solo album before SWS came out. it was a masterpiece and it's a shame what they've done to it. SYW and GOS that did come out are still great albums because of GOS leftover songs from 2001. and that's why i agree with others who say GOS 2008 has some great songs on it but all together it's missing a flow as an album. the great songs are ALL from GOS 2001, except Underground. but it seems both LB and the fans felt some kind of affection for the songs that came after 2001 that i don't really get. maybe for LB b/c GOS 2001 songs were mostly from before his current blissful family life and he wanted to prove to himself and others that family life doesn't ruin creativity?

either way, before april 2011, i though he will never ever write the songs as good anymore as GOS 2001 songs were. but new SWS songs that i heard in april squashed that notion completely. and then the album came out. and it flows. and there are no bad songs or fillers on it. and i have different favorite song all the time. and i didn't listen to it for a while b/c i was listening to the live versions from the Small Machine CD - because i do love live versions, especially of TTWLG better. mostly b/c of the stupid voice change on several songs on the album. but when i put SWS back on after a while, it struck me again how gorgeous that album is. and i had the whole new appreciation for it.

so yeah, out of Lindsey's 6 official studio releases, SWS is by far ahead of all the others and definitely a favorite LB's solo album for me.

if you count the bootlegged GOS from 2001, then i'm not sure. it's still SWS for now b/c these songs are still much more fresh. and this is the album that came out when i was a fan. and i saw the tour, i saw the Saban show, i was at 92Y. so it's much more personal, i guess.

oh, and another thing - i agree with you about the magnificence of red rover - but you have rock away blind now. you said before that you liked RAB version at 92Y better than the one on the album. i listened to RAB from 92Y a lot, and then i went back to the album. and i was surprised again how beautiful the album version is.

i don't get the love for SGTCYM. i do think DOR is gorgeous. but IOOT, TTWLG, RAB, GTF and One Take are all magnificent songs - if you ask me. i love all of them, each in it's own way. so SWS has it all - great songs and nice flow, that official GOS album doesn't. i do think lyrically GOS 2001 was stronger. illumination and SATC have lyrics that are as corny as they can be. LRD or DYMM from the official GOS - not much better either.
however One Take? i like that. my son commented the other day that's the song he can see being played on DC101.1. not that it would be, but i found that interesting observation.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I am refusing to take any part in this Thread.
Here are some other examples of threads i didnt take part in, for one reason or another

Water - Not good for you
Food - Who needs it.
Daylight - Gods worst invention.

They are pretty much the only other three so far.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madness Fades View Post
I am refusing to take any part in this Thread.
Here are some other examples of threads i didnt take part in, for one reason or another

Water - Not good for you.
Food - Who needs it.
Daylight - Gods worst invention.

They are pretty much the only other three so far.

but - see now you put it at the top of the other threads again. for a long time i kept working on pushing it down - and it was down this morning but then somebody resurrected it yet again. so i finally gave up and decided to start describing the gorgeousness of SWS in this thread instead.

but - i'm with you madness. hate the very existence of this thread and even more the time when it was conceived (see my reply to truefaith somewhere among the first posts). makes no sense at all.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My mom just called to tell me that Seeds We Sow is "Lindsey's best ever solo album!"

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
I'm just here to say that I love what Louie posted and feel almost identical about LB's albums- though I do t have quite as much malice for UTS. It has some beautiful songs on it, but there's a couple that are too muddled-sounding for my liking.
While there are some misses on UTS, I think conceptually, it's probably his most cohesive album. I think it unfolds beautifully...the frustration of "Not Too Late" to the acceptance of "Flying Down Juniper" (a song I don't even enjoy that much, but it has its purpose).

I do think the original GOS would have been his best album.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:17 AM
Senior Ledgie

I like Seeds We Sow very much, with the exception of "Illumination" and "One Take." Here's my album ranking from favorite to least:

1. Out of the Cradle
2. Gift of Screws
3. Seeds We Sow
4. Law & Order
5. Under the Skin
6. Go Insane
Old 06-30-2013, 01:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

So interesting to see how music affects different
people.
For me Seeds We Sow is easily one of the
strongest albums of Buckingham's career.
It's definitely up there at the top of the list
for me; closely edging out the top spot next to
Out of The Cradle.
OOTC suffers from a dated production sound
here and there, so the jury's still out for me.
But I would tell new fans to go to OOTC and
Seeds We Sow first. And then Under The Skin.
Those are the 3 best Buckingham records for me.

My least favorite is Gift of Screws.
Still don't get that album. I've tried and tried and
with the exception of 2 or 3 songs, it just never
stuck with me.
Stevie Nicks was right when she said "Lindsey took
a melody pill" when he went in to make
Seeds We Sow. I love the whole album.
Except for That's the Way Love Goes.
Old 06-30-2013, 01:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontlookdown View Post
So interesting to see how music affects different
people.
For me Seeds We Sow is easily one of the
strongest albums of Buckingham's career.

It's definitely up there at the top of the list
for me; closely edging out the top spot next to
Out of The Cradle.
OOTC suffers from a dated production sound
here and there, so the jury's still out for me.
But I would tell new fans to go to OOTC and
Seeds We Sow first. And then Under The Skin.
Those are the 3 best Buckingham records for me.

Still don't get that album. I've tried and tried and
with the exception of 2 or 3 songs, it just never
stuck with me.
Stevie Nicks was right when she said "Lindsey took
a melody pill" when he went in to make
Seeds We Sow. I love the whole album.
Except for That's the Way Love Goes.
as you said, funny about tastes - while i completely agree with you about SWS being probably his top officially released album, That's the Way Love Goes is one of my 2 favorite songs from it. although to be fair, if there were no live versions of it, i wouldn't think that, if judging only by castrated album version.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 06-30-2013, 02:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontlookdown View Post

And I think Gift of Screws and Seeds have very similar strengths and deliver them pretty equally. That's why I would put them both at the top of my list for this reason. If I chose one over the other, it would probably be GOS, but they are virtually interchangeable. OOTC being in the top 3 with them. UTS at the bottom.

Michele
Old 06-30-2013, 04:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This is old thread already, lol. My opinion has not really changed......some great tracks, but IMO....a weaker record overall.

Mick

-Tom Waits
Old 06-30-2013, 04:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Sounding like a demo? That what the world wrote about his first album too. To each his own, But what I simply don't get, is that LB-followers still don't seem to see that Lindsey's productional styles are always very conscious decisions. For me, OOTC is his weakest album, because it has too much perfect sheen all the way through. And aweful syndrums, where they don't fit in my opinion. On other soloalbums, I don't mind the electronic feel of the drums. hell, GI is still my favorite LB-album.

I love the sparse approach on UTS, and the sketchy approach of SWS. The only album that has a very instable and wacky production is GOS. That's just a selection of very different sessions with very different approaches.

Demo's? he can't put out enough rough material in my opinion. I don't like it when he's going for too slick, like on TITN and OOTC.

Old 06-30-2013, 06:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
But what I simply don't get, is that LB-followers still don't seem to see that Lindsey's productional styles are always very conscious decisions.
I don't know how conscious I am of this on a general basis, but I recall that with UTS that was very clear in my head and Lindsey started giving interviews about his production approach even before the album came out, so I felt really primed beforehand. I knew exactly what to expect and why and this helped my appreciation of his choices. At the time.

Once I got GOS, I kind of lost the mentality that once let me savor UTS.

Michele
Old 06-30-2013, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
Sounding like a demo? That what the world wrote about his first album too. To each his own, But what I simply don't get, is that LB-followers still don't seem to see that Lindsey's productional styles are always very conscious decisions. For me, OOTC is his weakest album, because it has too much perfect sheen all the way through. And aweful syndrums, where they don't fit in my opinion. On other soloalbums, I don't mind the electronic feel of the drums. hell, GI is still my favorite LB-album.

I love the sparse approach on UTS, and the sketchy approach of SWS. The only album that has a very instable and wacky production is GOS. That's just a selection of very different sessions with very different approaches.

Demo's? he can't put out enough rough material in my opinion. I don't like it when he's going for too slick, like on TITN and OOTC.
Go Insane is an album that I adored when I first spun it... and it just gets better and better.... The choices he makes on this album just groove so well... I think OOTC looses a bit of the groove that GI has... GI is tighter and 1983/84 was a great year...