The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-22-2013, 12:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Tiny request for people who will come to the shows...

So Elle and I have this rather crazy idea where Lindsey and Christine do a side project as a duo independent of Fleetwood Mac. Call it a medium-sized machine, if you will.

If anyone of you manages to meet Lindsey at some point or another, please, please, please get that idea in his head whatever way you choose (within reasonable limits, of course). This is a perfect opportunity to get some new Lindsey and Christine material. No band politics, no pressure of time, no pressure to tour, no limits to the creative process. Just merry music-making. They have their own studios at home, so they don't even have to leave their houses, if they so choose (get them to use the Internet). Capitalize the musical chemistry. The performances, marketing and whatnot can come in later, as long as the output gets released.

Of course, we don't know what could come from this. The important thing is just to relay the message to him. The rest is up to them.

"What a f**king stupid shirt you're wearing." - Christine McVie

Last edited by applebucked; 09-22-2013 at 12:40 AM..
Old 09-22-2013, 12:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by applebucked View Post
So Elle and I had this rather crazy idea where Lindsey and Christine do a side project as a duo independent of Fleetwood Mac.

If anyone of you manages to meet Lindsey at some point or another, please, please, please get that idea in his head whatever way you choose (within reasonable limits, of course). This is a perfect opportunity to get some new Lindsey and Christine material. No pressure of time, no pressure to tour, no limits to the creative process. Just merry music-making. They have their own studios at home, so they don't even have to leave their houses, if they so choose (get them to use the Internet). Capitalize the musical chemistry. The performances, marketing and whatnot can come in later, as long as the output gets released.
i'd actually love to see 2 of them perform together... although making some new music together might be interesting. and much more probable actually, because i just can't see them touring anywhere (even Europe) as a duo ever, realistically happening. plus lindsey's output has been so frequent recently that why not add some Christine collaboration into it! of course, that would probably result in that FM album that Lindsey and Mick want so much...

personally, there are so many people i'd like to see Lindsey do a collaboration with, and recent NIN example whet my appetite for more similar one-offs.

anyway, i'm rambling. what applebucked said! give Lindsey some ideas about working with Christine!

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 09-22-2013, 01:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
i'd actually love to see 2 of them perform together... although making some new music together might be interesting. and much more probable actually, because i just can't see them touring anywhere (even Europe) as a duo ever, realistically happening. plus lindsey's output has been so frequent recently that why not add some Christine collaboration into it! of course, that would probably result in that FM album that Lindsey and Mick want so much...

personally, there are so many people i'd like to see Lindsey do a collaboration with, and recent NIN example whet my appetite for more similar one-offs.

anyway, i'm rambling. what applebucked said! give Lindsey some ideas about working with Christine!
Yes, yes, yes. Performing would be amazing too. Imagine if they put an album out and do some one-off performances. They have a wide range of songs to choose from (FM, Lindsey solo, Christine solo, collaborations, covers, they "by request" thing LB does would work here if they rehearse enough songs)

Just don't mention the T word and get him to butter Christine up.

Old 09-22-2013, 07:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

The idea of a Chris/Lindsey double-act is pretty compelling. They seem to work well together as a songwriting team. I guess there's no harm in asking. But I'm not sure I can really see either of them being moved to actually do it, given their seemingly total lack of personal relationship.

Still, just putting the idea out there as something fans would enjoy seems like a fine idea. The band seems so preoccupied with milking the B/N relationship to death that such an idea probably hasn't even occurred to anyone.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
The idea of a Chris/Lindsey double-act is pretty compelling. They seem to work well together as a songwriting team. I guess there's no harm in asking. But I'm not sure I can really see either of them being moved to actually do it, given their seemingly total lack of personal relationship.

Still, just putting the idea out there as something fans would enjoy seems like a fine idea. The band seems so preoccupied with milking the B/N relationship to death that such an idea probably hasn't even occurred to anyone.
Well, that's true, but they seem to get along well enough based on some recent comments on Lindsey's end, especially. Very much like a big sister-little brother relationship where even if they drive each other crazy, they still have this sort of fondness and bonding with one another. It could also prove to be a nice change of trajectory and focus. (because I have to admit, the B/N drama is becoming stale for me )

I really believe that the C/L songwriting combo provides some of the best music The Mac has to offer, apart from Chris/Bob Welch (sadly he's dead now, may he RIP, and he and Chris didn't exactly part in good terms), and such combination would be quite fruitful, if done properly (like no pressuring of things the other doesn't want to do, fundamentally speaking). Lindsey has lots of material, and Chris has been writing new music. Why not combine them into a collaborative effort while adding come collaborative songs in the process? Lindsey lives for the studio and Chris is definitely receptive to the idea of recording, just not the other things associated with the Big Mac Machine.

But yes, I don't think it has ever occurred to anyone in the band.

Last edited by applebucked; 09-22-2013 at 09:36 AM..
Old 09-22-2013, 08:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Don't apologize, Sam. As a fan, I have to say I actually was never very interested in the B/N drama element of things. It's never excited me whatsoever. I just dig those vocal harmonies.

Is Chris receptive to the idea of recording? Serious question. I wasn't aware that the idea had been brought up with her recently. But then, I don't follow her that closely.

I don't think I've ever picked up on that fondness/bonding that you seem to see between them. But I do agree they write damn well together. And, especially with Everywhere enjoying unprecedented popularity, the world is certainly ready for more Christine in the studio.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
Don't apologize, Sam. As a fan, I have to say I actually was never very interested in the B/N drama element of things. It's never excited me whatsoever. I just dig those vocal harmonies.

Is Chris receptive to the idea of recording? Serious question. I wasn't aware that the idea had been brought up with her recently. But then, I don't follow her that closely.

I don't think I've ever picked up on that fondness/bonding that you seem to see between them. But I do agree they write damn well together. And, especially with Everywhere enjoying unprecedented popularity, the world is certainly ready for more Christine in the studio.
Even the vocal harmonies I don't really dig anymore. While I enjoy Lindsey's voice now, Stevie especially plays it too safe nowadays (and a bit too nasal for my taste). With Chris, I know she's gonna play it safe, but you can't really change much with her kind of voice.

Mick says in one of the M&Gs she's writing new music, so I'm inclined to think she is definitely interested with the recording/writing side of things. Else she would just be cooking and putting around in her garden or playing with her dogs.

The bond is certainly more familial and respectful than anything. Maybe a little flirty at times, especially around Tusk/Mirage. But their fundamental common ground is their musical chemistry and for them not to capitalize on this is frankly, quite criminal.

Last edited by applebucked; 09-22-2013 at 09:00 AM..
Old 09-22-2013, 01:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Given the comments they have made and the way they used to work on each other's solo endeavors, I think they certainly realize there is something magical about their pairing. They know how their voices sound together, for one. And although Lindsey likes to eschew the piano, I think he likes when they come together musically as well.

I doubt that they'd ever do a show together, but if they did not live on separate continents, I believe we would have seen more collaborations. Lindsey would have done something on Meantime and she would have appeared on at least one of his solo records.

I think things got a little chilly during the SYW production, but that would not have lasted had they been in closer physical proximity.

Michele
Old 09-22-2013, 08:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Given the comments they have made and the way they used to work on each other's solo endeavors, I think they certainly realize there is something magical about their pairing. They know how their voices sound together, for one. And although Lindsey likes to eschew the piano, I think he likes when they come together musically as well.

I doubt that they'd ever do a show together, but if they did not live on separate continents, I believe we would have seen more collaborations. Lindsey would have done something on Meantime and she would have appeared on at least one of his solo records.

I think things got a little chilly during the SYW production, but that would not have lasted had they been in closer physical proximity.
And in turn, Christine also complains of songs have "a tad too much guitar" so they're more or less even. They love how they sound and they know it. Yeah I doubt about performances but an EP or even a full album would be more plausible.

And there's always Skype.

Old 09-23-2013, 02:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Would that be the ultimate twist?
Lindsey leaves his wife, children,
the good ole USA and even Stevie.

Christine and Lindsey make many
albums together. Tour Europe at
their pleasure. And live happily
ever after...
Old 09-23-2013, 05:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotafraid View Post
Would that be the ultimate twist?
Lindsey leaves his wife, children,
the good ole USA and even Stevie.

Christine and Lindsey make many
albums together. Tour Europe at
their pleasure. And live happily
ever after...
That would be one hell of the plot twist, and one bigger hell of a road trip.

Old 09-28-2013, 02:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by applebucked View Post
That would be one hell of the plot twist, and one bigger hell of a road trip.
Couldn't you just see Christine and Lindsey
in the Griswold's station wagon touring around?
Just the two of them with a couple of guitars, a
keyboard and two amps.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotafraid View Post
Couldn't you just see Christine and Lindsey
in the Griswold's station wagon touring around?
Just the two of them with a couple of guitars, a
keyboard and two amps.
Usually, Lindsey's gonna need more than a couple of guitars. Maybe Chris can talk him into parting with some...

Old 09-30-2013, 06:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Speaking of which, are any of you coming to the M&Gs? Maybe one of you could relay it to Mick. Don't forget to emphasize that it's gonna be independent of The Mac.