Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-18-2016, 04:23 PM
Junior Ledgie

Default Most Underrated & Overrated Mac Songs

Hi everyone! With all of this talk about the worst songs by each writer, I'd like to shift focus to something a little less critical and with a little more diversity in opinion (I hope).

I think the most underrated song has to be "Crystal". I love it on Buckingham Nicks, and it's even better on the White Album. The harmonies by Lindsay and Stevie are perfect; you can really hear the love in their voices. So few new Mac fans know this song, but IMO it shows Stevie and Lindsey's musical partnership at its best.

I'd go with "Everywhere" as the most overrated. It's pretty catchy, but it's just so bland and a bit too lightweight for me. It sounds like Chris just going through the motions without putting much feeling in the song. It's often considered an 80's classic and is a frequent starting point for new Mac fans, but IMO it just doesn't deserve all the praise it gets.
Old 01-18-2016, 04:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think this is a great way to build on the more basic best/worst threads, and maybe we could even do most overrated and underrated for each writer.

Hmmm, going to have to go think on that.
Old 01-18-2016, 06:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Wow this is an impossible thread because the Mac has so many underrated songs. Just every song on Tusk is underrated. The entire Mirage album is underrated. Even worse, many Christine McVie songs are underrated especially prior to Buckingham/Nicks.
Say You Will is also full of underrated songs. Too many to list.

I cant think of an overrated song because I don't think the Mac was an overrated band. They earned success the hard way and then surprised everyone with Tusk. For a song to be overrated it has to be successful commercially where everyone knows it.
I would say the song Tusk is overrated. Its a great jam but not much of a song. It was commercially successful but only because it was the first single on a new album after Rumours. I don't think it would have charted if it was the 3rd single release. Its a good song and I enjoy it live but definitely overrated IMHO.
I forced myself to pick one so don't yell at me. I could not come up with an underrated song so forced my hand on this one.
Old 01-18-2016, 06:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It's way too hard to pick two from their entire catalog so I'll limit mine to singles;

- Most overrated? Don't Stop. It's good but it's not amazing.
- Most underrated? A lot of people I know always forget about As Long As You Follow and I think it's a gem of a tune.
Old 01-18-2016, 07:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenshiMaster16 View Post
- Most underrated? A lot of people I know always forget about As Long As You Follow and I think it's a gem of a tune.

oooooh that's a good one!
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 01-18-2016, 08:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

most overrated: Love in Store... zzzzzzz. Dirge. long gaps between interesting bits.

Blue Letter.

I'm So Afraid. Compelling live, but the lyrics.. oy. THey're like bad Stevie lyrics.

Most underrated:
Sugar Daddy. Great story, fun piano riff. Not her best vocal maybe but still.

Think About Me. For the reasons others have said. Should have been a better single.

Tango in the Night. epic. Love most of his stuff on Tango. [His Mirage stuff not so much.]

Not That Funny.
Old 01-18-2016, 07:08 PM
Senior Ledgie

Overrated: Sara, Sisters of the Moon, Everywhere.

Underrated: most of Mirage, Honey Hi, Blue Letter, Seven Wonders.
Old 01-18-2016, 07:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Great topic! I totally agree with the OP on this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsavi4 View Post
I'd go with "Everywhere" as the most overrated. It's pretty catchy, but it's just so bland and a bit too lightweight for me. It sounds like Chris just going through the motions without putting much feeling in the song. It's often considered an 80's classic and is a frequent starting point for new Mac fans, but IMO it just doesn't deserve all the praise it gets.
For most underrated....I'll stick with another single and pick Think About Me. It's really a great, great song and I've never understood why it wasn't every bit as popular as Sara or Tusk.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 01-19-2016, 04:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Overrated:

Everywhere
Don't Stop
Over My Head
Silver Springs (studio version)

Underrated:

Illume
Family Man
Isn't It Midnight
Seven Wonders
Steal Your Heart Away
Crystal
Honey Hi
Brown Eyes
That's Alright
Caroline
Heart of Stone
Tango in the Night
Save Me a Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsavi4 View Post

I agree with this. Isn't It Midnight is much better.

Last edited by He's So Unusual; 01-19-2016 at 04:19 AM..
Old 01-19-2016, 04:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Most overrated: Go Your Own Way. It's a great song and I love it and it deserves all the praise and esteem it gets, but there are much better songs by this band.

Most underrated: Hold Me, duh lol how has no one said this yet? Another underrated song is Why. It's such a beautiful song, one of Christine's best actually. This song should still be played on the radio, it should have been a single back in the day too.

I don't think Everywhere is overrated at all. I agree with what the OP said about the song, but it's one of my favorite songs and a great comeback tune for Christine.

Last edited by Wdm6789; 01-19-2016 at 04:47 AM..
Old 07-03-2018, 07:37 AM

10 Underrated Fleetwood Mac Songs
From Rumours to Tusk, Mirage and more, we have found the top 10 underrated Fleetwood Mac tracks for your essential listening.

The American sweethearts with a reckless, exciting and troubled past; things have never been linear for Fleetwood Mac. They have formed, split, fired, relight flames and vanquished them repeatedly over their long and fruitful careers but, while their relationships might harbour cracks, their tracks shall live on forever. Below are the 10 most underrated tracks the band have ever produced.

Caroline, Tango In The Night, (1987)
Despite Tango In The Night being Mick Fleetwood’s “worst recording experience”, the album has spawned some mega hits; such as ‘Everywhere’ from ~ that ~ advert with the pony, ‘Little Lies’ and the ridiculously underrated ‘Caroline’. Simple yet effective with a tropical tinge; ‘Caroline’ is the ultimate ear-worm. Mark your bingo cards, we are onto a winner.

Book Of Love, Mirage, (1982)

A stadium-sized anthem which has you begging to know ‘right, what is the ‘Book Of Love’ and how can we get our mitts on it?’. Perfect harmonies, a stunning lead vocal and a sublime crescendo, we are marking this as the definitive best track on Mirage. Our opinion might not be fact, but it should be.

Sisters Of The Moon, Tusk, (1979)

An ethereal Nicks vocal, a killer electric guitar solo and an atmosphere of mystery; could ‘Sisters Of The Moon’ be the most underrated Fleetwood Mac track of the lot? Bathe in the beauty of this stellar composition and do not let it slip through your net for any longer. You were warned.

Woman Of 1000 Years, Future Games, (1971)

Written by Danny Kirwan, ‘Woman Of 1000 Years’ is soft, rhythmic and somewhat sensual. It does not carry the same power, pizzaz or energy that Fleetwood Mac’s later material does, but this 1971 slow-burner is sacredly sweet.

The Second Time, Behind The Mask, (1990)

‘The Second Time’ was written by Billy Burnette and Rick Vito; artists drafted in to replace the gaping hold Lindsay Buckingham left in the band, after his 1987 departure. The track sees Nicks laying down a thick vocal accompanied by a spindly, delicate acoustic guitar; producing this heartfelt lullaby. Behind The Mask gets a bad reputation, but ‘The Second Time’ makes the album worth every moment.

Welcome To The Room… Sara, Tango In The Night (1987)

It took ‘Sara’ (thought to be Stevie Nicks’ alter-ego) eight years, two live records and a studio album to make an official reappearance in a song title. The second outing of ‘Sara’ (the first being featured on 1979’s Tusk) was written shortly after a Nicks rehab stint, and features obscure yet indulgent lyrics from the goddess herself.

Empire State, Mirage, (1982)

“If I can make it there… I can make it anywhere” was a lyric featured on ‘Empire State’ regarding Buckingham’s desire to quit the drug-fulled disaster train, known as Fleetwood Mac, and set-up shop in New York. A track addressing themes of escapism, success and hopelessness ‘Empire State’ is as honestly as raw as Fleetwood Mac get.

Running Through The Garden, Say You Will, (2003)

Despite not being penned during the bands ‘golden era’ Say You Will features some of the collective’s most progressive tracks to date. One of the often-overlooked numbers, ‘Running Through The Garden’ is an instant sing-along, matching the likes of their super-hits with the same energy, professionalism and producing that gooey ‘I-love-Fleetwood-Mac’ feeling we all adore.

Wish You Were Here, Mirage, (1982)

Released as a single in April 1983, the Christine McVie lead vocal and hillbilly-rock tinged guitar makes ‘Wish You Were Here’ an underrated classic. The track was ahead of its time and,’The Very Best Of Fleetwood Mac tracklisters? it deserved a place on that compilation! McVie was robbed.

Never Going Back Again, Rumours, (1977)

Being sandwiched between ‘Dreams’ and ‘Don’t Stop’ on a tracklist is a hard fret, but ‘Never Going Back Again’ still defies odds as being one of Rumours’ hidden gems. Played solely on the acoustic guitar using the Travis plucking technique, the heartbreaking track is utterly gorgeous… It is just a shame it took Buckingham/Nicks breaking-up in order for it to be crafted.

http://www.thenationalstudent.com/Mu...mac_songs.html
Old 07-03-2018, 08:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
From Rumours to Tusk, Mirage and more, we have found the top 10 underrated Fleetwood Mac tracks for your essential listening.

The American sweethearts with a reckless, exciting and troubled past; things have never been linear for Fleetwood Mac. They have formed, split, fired, relight flames and vanquished them repeatedly over their long and fruitful careers but, while their relationships might harbour cracks, their tracks shall live on forever. Below are the 10 most underrated tracks the band have ever produced.

Despite Tango In The Night being Mick Fleetwood’s “worst recording experience”, the album has spawned some mega hits; such as ‘Everywhere’ from ~ that ~ advert with the pony, ‘Little Lies’ and the ridiculously underrated ‘Caroline’. Simple yet effective with a tropical tinge; ‘Caroline’ is the ultimate ear-worm. Mark your bingo cards, we are onto a winner.

A stadium-sized anthem which has you begging to know ‘right, what is the ‘Book Of Love’ and how can we get our mitts on it?’. Perfect harmonies, a stunning lead vocal and a sublime crescendo, we are marking this as the definitive best track on Mirage. Our opinion might not be fact, but it should be.

An ethereal Nicks vocal, a killer electric guitar solo and an atmosphere of mystery; could ‘Sisters Of The Moon’ be the most underrated Fleetwood Mac track of the lot? Bathe in the beauty of this stellar composition and do not let it slip through your net for any longer. You were warned.

Written by Danny Kirwan, ‘Woman Of 1000 Years’ is soft, rhythmic and somewhat sensual. It does not carry the same power, pizzaz or energy that Fleetwood Mac’s later material does, but this 1971 slow-burner is sacredly sweet.

‘The Second Time’ was written by Billy Burnette and Rick Vito; artists drafted in to replace the gaping hold Lindsay Buckingham left in the band, after his 1987 departure. The track sees Nicks laying down a thick vocal accompanied by a spindly, delicate acoustic guitar; producing this heartfelt lullaby. Behind The Mask gets a bad reputation, but ‘The Second Time’ makes the album worth every moment.

It took ‘Sara’ (thought to be Stevie Nicks’ alter-ego) eight years, two live records and a studio album to make an official reappearance in a song title. The second outing of ‘Sara’ (the first being featured on 1979’s Tusk) was written shortly after a Nicks rehab stint, and features obscure yet indulgent lyrics from the goddess herself.

“If I can make it there… I can make it anywhere” was a lyric featured on ‘Empire State’ regarding Buckingham’s desire to quit the drug-fulled disaster train, known as Fleetwood Mac, and set-up shop in New York. A track addressing themes of escapism, success and hopelessness ‘Empire State’ is as honestly as raw as Fleetwood Mac get.

Despite not being penned during the bands ‘golden era’ Say You Will features some of the collective’s most progressive tracks to date. One of the often-overlooked numbers, ‘Running Through The Garden’ is an instant sing-along, matching the likes of their super-hits with the same energy, professionalism and producing that gooey ‘I-love-Fleetwood-Mac’ feeling we all adore.

Released as a single in April 1983, the Christine McVie lead vocal and hillbilly-rock tinged guitar makes ‘Wish You Were Here’ an underrated classic. The track was ahead of its time and,’The Very Best Of Fleetwood Mac tracklisters? it deserved a place on that compilation! McVie was robbed.

Being sandwiched between ‘Dreams’ and ‘Don’t Stop’ on a tracklist is a hard fret, but ‘Never Going Back Again’ still defies odds as being one of Rumours’ hidden gems. Played solely on the acoustic guitar using the Travis plucking technique, the heartbreaking track is utterly gorgeous… It is just a shame it took Buckingham/Nicks breaking-up in order for it to be crafted.

http://www.thenationalstudent.com/Mu...mac_songs.html
Fully agreed on Second Time, Sisters of the Moon, Running through the Garden, and Wish You Were Here!
Old 07-03-2018, 10:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
Agreed!

Nope. This song is crap.

I thought everybody loved this sexy song with hits hot guitar!

Agreed.

Agreed.

Ugh. No. Also crap.

More crap.

LOVE this song. Agree!

Snooze. Don't hate it, but can't agree.

Underrated? Everybody loves this song!

Old 07-03-2018, 01:21 PM

Agreed!!!!

Yes, Love this!!

Who doesn't like this?

Pure Treasure. Love this so much!

Huh??? Nails on a chalkboard!! Yuck..

I'm one of the few that like this tune. I like the arrangement. And the LB and CM vocals.

Love this song. It sparkles.

Great tune!

Wonderful sentiment. Piano and guitar jam at the end is amazing.

Sick of it.. but never skip it.

Last edited by jbrownsjr; 07-03-2018 at 01:23 PM..
Old 07-03-2018, 02:47 PM
Ledgie

Great topic!

UNDER-RATED
Over & Over
Fireflies
Emerald Eyes
That's Alright
Remember Me
Sunny Side Of Heaven
I Don't Want To Know

OVER-RATED