Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-19-2003, 06:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I mean, I thought that became politically incorrect and tacky in the 80's?!

Yea,well,when has Stevie ever really bowed to fashion trends??

"I walk on stage, I'm very strong, I'm still pretty cute and I rock." -Stevie Nicks
Old 04-19-2003, 07:14 PM
Ledgie

Who cares if something has been dubbed politically incorrect or not? If Stevie wants to wear real fur, more power to her! Lindsey is wearing leather jackets and I guess leather pants. I eat meat myself. I sure hope that has not become "politically incorrect". Heck, I hope it has. I love being a rebel Bill
Old 04-19-2003, 08:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

It just seems like a really bad choice. I thought she wanted no part of political issues? Oh well, it's her right, but it wouldn't be the first time I've been disappointed in Stevie. Actually that article that WindingRoad quoted was a real let down for me.

And Tusk 57 has a point about Lindsey's leather. I suppose it's the idea of something being killed ONLY for its fur. Maybe it would make it better if I could get me some chinchilla burgers at the market or something.

And no, I don't lose sleep over this sort of thing. I just think it's a bad choice. I mean when you think of the myriad of choices available to Stevie Nicks for outerwear during her appearance on the "Today" show to promote the album, why fur?

Take on the situation but not the torment
Old 04-19-2003, 09:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Hey, they are all individuals, like us

Different values, etc. Stevie wore a fur, and she is not a vegetarian. But I don't judge her or Lindsey for wearing a leather jacket, or any member for any other difference/value they have that differs from mine. I love their music. I don't want them to be like me, and don't want them to live their lives for me. It's a little late to throw these expectations on anyone in the band isn't it?
Old 04-19-2003, 10:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Okay, I was surmising but I'm still confident that the coat was fake fur. Stevie has wisened up over the years and surely would realise the outcry wearing fur may incite. Sheryl Crow is anti-fur and the two chicks trade fashion tips on a regular basis. I wasn't actually present to stroke the offending garment but it did appear to resemble cashmere more than fur but who knows?
I think it amusing that there has been so much speculation over this issue when we don't know for sure either way. That said, if it does turn out to be the real deal, I'm with Tommer... I can just see her chasing after the little critters, of course with Lindsey in toe wielding that knife as he chased her through the woods!
Old 04-20-2003, 06:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Hey, they are all individuals, like us

Quote:
Originally posted by Tango
Different values, etc. Stevie wore a fur, and she is not a vegetarian. But I don't judge her or Lindsey for wearing a leather jacket, or any member for any other difference/value they have that differs from mine. I love their music. I don't want them to be like me, and don't want them to live their lives for me. It's a little late to throw these expectations on anyone in the band isn't it?
Couldn't have said it better myself Tango. Lindsey has received nothing but praise for choosing to wear a leather jacket ALL the time recently. Our society seems to have some double standard. It's ok to slaughter as many cows as we want to and make jackets, shoes, gloves and hamburgers out of them, but God forbid that we kill a furry oversized rat like creature and make a coat out of it. Frankly, I don't care what they wear. People have the personal freedom to choose whatever they want.
Old 04-20-2003, 06:45 AM
Senior Ledgie

Well lets put it this way Ive read posts from people on this thread who ragged on her for curling her hair because it makes her "look old", "the ends look dead" and whatever the case may be it's her hair! Im ragging on her for wearing a fur coat but alot of you posters have said way worse things about Stevie. Check yourself.

People are in the mindset when they wear fur that they look glamorous, actually it added way to much weight to her frame. Even the skinniest person wearing a fur looks a little dowdy. And when your only 5'1" its just not a good look. Being the fashion icon she is, someone should have said this really isnt working for you. She looked like Nanook from the North. And I have accepted all looks from Stevie. The way overdone linebacker Other Side Of The Mirror look, the Mae West back from the dead look of the Mask tour. But this was just stupid. Sorry.
Old 04-20-2003, 07:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by MACFAN
Well lets put it this way Ive read posts from people on this thread who ragged on her for curling her hair because it makes her "look old", "the ends look dead" and whatever the case may be it's her hair! Im ragging on her for wearing a fur coat but alot of you posters have said way worse things about Stevie. Check yourself.

People are in the mindset when they wear fur that they look glamorous, actually it added way to much weight to her frame. Even the skinniest person wearing a fur looks a little dowdy. And when your only 5'1" its just not a good look. Being the fashion icon she is, someone should have said this really isnt working for you. She looked like Nanook from the North. And I have accepted all looks from Stevie. The way overdone linebacker Other Side Of The Mirror look, the Mae West back from the dead look of the Mask tour. But this was just stupid. Sorry.
So in other words you do not think she should have worn a fur simply for a fashion reason, and not for political reasons. I'm fine with that because that is merely your opinion, and I'll respect that. My "beef" is with people who isolate fur as animal cruelty. Frankly though, I was there and I thought she looked radiant, especially when she came out at 5:30 for the sound check and had her hair up in a bun. But I am glad she had the balls to wear something like that if that's what she's into, instead of falling victim to our society's strange mores. But whether you thought she looked good in it or not is just an opinion, and everyone is entitled to that.
Old 04-20-2003, 07:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

She looked like Nanook from the North

I thought she looked warm and toasty. Nanook was no dope.

Here's a quote that I remembered. I thought it worked nicely in this thread.

"The only people with a right to complain about what I do for a living are vegetarian nudists"

-Ken Bates, one of California's 700 licensed fur trappers.
Old 04-20-2003, 09:12 AM
Senior Ledgie

I dont think people who abhor fur coats do so for poltical reasons. As much as I think it's wrong for animals to be slaughtered for food I wouldnt care if someone ate S**t for breakfast, let the body be a burial ground for dead animals. But trapping for fur is just plain wrong. These animals are often left to suffer in these traps for hours, how humiliating. Somtimes they have electrial prods shoved up their butts and are raised just to be killed. Im not a religious person but isn't one of God's commandments, "Thou Shall not Kill"? It does not deferentiate between humans and animals. Believe me I dont even kill bugs.

And Ken Bates is a complete A*****E, he should trap that other moron Ted Nugent.
Old 04-20-2003, 09:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I just have an idea, maybe I'm on glue or something, who really knows? But, considering that it was what, 38 degrees outside? I think Stevie just wanted to stay warm and couldn't give a damn about what she wore. She probably just wanted to wear what kept her the warmest. Personally, I think the cold is what threw them off on "Today." I thought the performances weren't very good at all, and there were quite a few mess ups on Go Your Own Way. "Today" kind of worried me...the band didn't seem ready to perform live.
Old 04-20-2003, 11:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
She looked like Nanook from the North.

LMAO...she did look kinda funny.Like i said before,I am not into animals being killed for fur,but for god's sake,this woman is 55 years old(almost),I don't think there is anyone who could tell her what or what not wear at this point in her life.

"I walk on stage, I'm very strong, I'm still pretty cute and I rock." -Stevie Nicks
Old 04-20-2003, 11:39 AM
thewhitewingedd
This message has been deleted by thewhitewingedd.
Old 04-20-2003, 08:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I dont think people who abhor fur coats do so for poltical reasons. As much as I think it's wrong for animals to be slaughtered for food I wouldnt care if someone ate S**t for breakfast, let the body be a burial ground for dead animals. But trapping for fur is just plain wrong. These animals are often left to suffer in these traps for hours, how humiliating. Somtimes they have electrial prods shoved up their butts and are raised just to be killed. Im not a religious person but isn't one of God's commandments, "Thou Shall not Kill"? It does not deferentiate between humans and animals. Believe me I dont even kill bugs.

And Ken Bates is a complete A*****E, he should trap that other moron Ted Nugent.
Hi MACFAN, Hey, I was with you until you got into Mosiac Law and religion. The Ten Commandments guy/The Biblical Law is all about substitionary atonement, sacrifice (animals at first, including Adam and Eve getting their coats of fur after their Garden of Eden sin). Everyone has their beliefs and many people (not all) have their underpinning beliefs on Judeo Christian traditions, and dont have the same problems with fur and meat dishes. Those writings definitely distinquish between animals and man, and say that man has dominion over the animals. I guess in the food chain, animals aren't ranking as high as man. Hey, animals eat other animals and bugs. It's the way of the universe, although there are clearly those that abhor that way of thinking.

With that, Happy Passover and Happy Easter to those celebrating.

I hope you're all enjoying family, friends and some great new FM music.
Old 04-21-2003, 09:47 AM
Ledgie

Ted Nugent may be a lot of things, but he's no moron. He has to be one of the smartest rock and rollers out there.
Old 04-21-2003, 10:35 AM

Boy, this thread is sure taking a weird twist now. Ted Nugent is now some sort of genius.

Look, here's where I stand: I eat meat and I wear leather. I even sit on leather.

But there is not moral equivalent between taking the skin of an animal that is slaughtered specifically for the skin with taking the skin as a byproduct of slaughtering the animal for nourishment. If leather didn't come from animals we eat, I would have nothing to do with it. Throwing away the hides from an animal you're going to kill anyway would seem wasteful, to my way of thinking.

If Stevie wants to wear fur, that is her business. But I don't like it. It was a very poor choice of outerwear to appear on national TV. Surely she could have worn wool, which is taken from an animal that doesn't have to be slaughtered.

I have great respect for all living things. I abhor the notion of killing an animal in a heartless, painful way just for the skin. If someone did that to my dog, I wouldn't be happy.