The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-31-2014, 08:58 AM
Senior Ledgie

Default What Should A New Fleetwood Mac Album Sound Like?

So there's obviously been lots of discussion about if and when there will be a new Fleetwood Mac album. However, I think it would be fun to discuss what a Fleetwood Mac album in 2015 should sound like! What sounds and styles would you like to hear? Should they revisit old ground sonically? What do you imagine the first single sounding like, and whose song are you hoping leads the charge? What outside producers do you think they should bring in?

Just some fun discussion! Keep it cute

Last edited by pauls90; 12-31-2014 at 09:07 AM..
Old 12-31-2014, 11:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

In an interview Christine gave earlier in the year she said the songs she'd done with Lindsey, Mick & John were a mixed bag. Can't recall exactly but I think she said one was really funky, one was bluesy and one was country inspired.

Glad to hear Lindsey say in his recent interview that he took the songs Christine presented to him and 'took a lot of liberties with them'. That's what is needed with her songs. I love In The Meantime but he is able to play around with them and elevate otherwise nice, simple songs to another level of greatness.

I'd love to have an amalgamation of all the styles of everything they've done over the past 40 years.
Old 12-31-2014, 12:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauls90 View Post

[/CENTER]
I love the way John and Chris are sitting in the chair. Arms, denim legs. I can't tell when one's body begins and the other ends.

Michele
Old 12-31-2014, 02:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think they should play it safe, a la Mirage, and go for the sound that "brought em".
Old 12-31-2014, 03:18 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I think they should play it safe, a la Mirage, and go for the sound that "brought em".
I think a mirage sound would be great considering there are quite a few "indie" bands really getting into the Mirage-Tango era sounds. I think they could definitely put a modern sheen on things and pull it off.

Something like this would be PERFECT (sonically anyway)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edWnWhZKM-I

I think a song that sounds like this would be a good sound for Lindsey as well
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWmQNeGQb7w

I think it would be wise for them to really play up the ethereal/esoteric side of them for this last swan song of an album

Last edited by pauls90; 12-31-2014 at 03:29 PM..
Old 12-31-2014, 05:40 PM
Senior Ledgie

I'd love a "safe," Mirage type of sound as well. But anything would be great, really. I just hope they don't attempt anything "danceable," that one new Christine track notwithstanding.
Old 12-31-2014, 08:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I hope they sound like Fleetwood Mac..LOL...................................

Which they will.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 12-31-2014, 09:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

I hope they let it rip for once. Stop being commercial, conservative, or safe. Blast away with total creativity. Lets get them in raw form. I would love to hear some hard rock from them or some kind of things they do live.
I know Chris will bring some beautiful ballads but she can rock too. Maybe she has another Isnt it Midnight in her
Old 01-01-2015, 03:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I hope they let it rip for once. Stop being commercial, conservative, or safe. Blast away with total creativity. Lets get them in raw form. I would love to hear some hard rock from them or some kind of things they do live.
I know Chris will bring some beautiful ballads but she can rock too. Maybe she has another Isnt it Midnight in her
Amen to that. We don't need to hear anything "safe" from this band at this point in their career. The new project should be one of the most artistic, experimental and sublime albums of their catalog. They need to bring in an outside producer like Mitchell Froom or T-Bone Burnett. I always recall when Johnny Cash made an album with Rick Rubin called "The Man Comes Around".
Old 01-01-2015, 03:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchChain View Post
Amen to that. We don't need to hear anything "safe" from this band at this point in their career. The new project should be one of the most artistic, experimental and sublime albums of their catalog. They need to bring in an outside producer like Mitchell Froom or T-Bone Burnett. I always recall when Johnny Cash made an album with Rick Rubin called "The Man Comes Around".
Froom gets my vote for a few reasons, such as his past works with the likes of Richard Thompson and Susanna Hoffs, but mostly because he's already produced Lindsey's songs that I assume are going on the new album.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-01-2015, 05:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

What SHOULD it sound like? LOL.

Fresh. Innovative. Familiar. Haunting. Bitter. Sweet. Catchy. All at the same time.

What WILL it sound like? Lindsey will be idiosyncratic, neurotic, and annoying. As he has been since Tango. Or he might be just bland. A la Peacekeeper. He may be tamed by forces around him to take all the edges off. Maybe a bad thing. Maybe not.

Chris will be catchy. Warm. Bouncy. With any kind of luck, she may even be sexy like Isn't It Midnight. I am sure the studio can resurrect those honey coated tones. And she has a way with a melody. She will crank out some nice songs with Lindsey to pull her out of her shell. If there is a song that gets airplay (unlikely), it will be hers.

Stevie will probably drag out two tired old 70's demos, scrapping the original melodies that were interesting, because her range doesn't allow her to sing them that way anymore. But she will sing them anyway, and render them shadows of their previous almost greatness. She will toss in one co-write song with music by Sanwertcambellwhatever that she sings three notes over and proclaims her anthem of the ages. It will be ignored in droves and not performed live. Everyone will screech when she twirls twice during a dragging trudging boring Rhiannon on the final tour. And the band will gross over 150 million in farewell tour show receipts.

End. Scene.

All animals are equal. But some animals are more equal than others.
Old 01-01-2015, 09:38 AM
Ledgie

Harsh but hilarious!
Old 01-01-2015, 01:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky View Post
What SHOULD it sound like? LOL.

Fresh. Innovative. Familiar. Haunting. Bitter. Sweet. Catchy. All at the same time.

What WILL it sound like? Lindsey will be idiosyncratic, neurotic, and annoying. As he has been since Tango. Or he might be just bland. A la Peacekeeper. He may be tamed by forces around him to take all the edges off. Maybe a bad thing. Maybe not.

Chris will be catchy. Warm. Bouncy. With any kind of luck, she may even be sexy like Isn't It Midnight. I am sure the studio can resurrect those honey coated tones. And she has a way with a melody. She will crank out some nice songs with Lindsey to pull her out of her shell. If there is a song that gets airplay (unlikely), it will be hers.

Stevie will probably drag out two tired old 70's demos, scrapping the original melodies that were interesting, because her range doesn't allow her to sing them that way anymore. But she will sing them anyway, and render them shadows of their previous almost greatness. She will toss in one co-write song with music by Sanwertcambellwhatever that she sings three notes over and proclaims her anthem of the ages. It will be ignored in droves and not performed live. Everyone will screech when she twirls twice during a dragging trudging boring Rhiannon on the final tour. And the band will gross over 150 million in farewell tour show receipts.

End. Scene.
Sparky.is.spot.on.
Old 01-01-2015, 02:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It still bugs the sh@& out of me that we only got 5 studio albums out of this line up in 40 years. I'm sure this will be another classic collection with a current sound like the MAC has always stayed true to. We will get at least a handful of new radio type friendly songs like...... Say You Love Me, Second Hand News,Think About Me, Sara, Hold Me and Little Lies...........I'm sure of it and I can't wait.I have always treasured their solo work but this album can't come soon enough.
Old 01-01-2015, 03:34 PM

I've always felt the Buckingham/McVie collaborations were far superior to anything else. They have a such a superb chemistry within this band. Can't wait to hear what they came up with. I understand they wrote some stuff together in the studio as well. It must be nice for Lindsey to work with her again as she is an accomplished musician.