Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-06-2005, 12:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation Awesome!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookie29
Look for me at the LB Soundstage whenever that airs.

Sean
I should have been there at Soundstage. STILL kicking myself.

Cool to know that people of all ages, races, religions, etc...love the Mac.
Old 06-06-2005, 01:10 PM
DeadliestPoison
This message has been deleted by DeadliestPoison.
Old 06-06-2005, 01:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
oh, and don't forget about Sparky....
That's me, a brutha all the way.

You so silly, AMber.
Old 06-06-2005, 02:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondergirl9847
I should have been there at Soundstage. STILL kicking myself.

Cool to know that people of all ages, races, religions, etc...love the Mac.

Let's get Lindsey to do a private concert just for us Christy. It will be 10 x better than Soundstage.

But back to the question, aren't Macy Gray and Destiny's Child fans of La Nicks?
Old 06-06-2005, 02:19 PM
dudden22
This message has been deleted by dudden22.
Old 06-06-2005, 04:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyqm
Anyway, pop music doesn't get much more "white" than Rumours-era Fleetwood Mac,
I somewhat disagree. I mean, ABBA is clearly "whiter" than Fleetwood Mac. Even during the Rumours-era, I think there was some grooving going on in the music, for example "You Make Loving Fun."
Quote:
That said, I would venture the following guesses:

1) Fleetwood Mac probably has more black fans in Europe and Africa than they do in America.

2) Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac probably has more black fans than any other era of the band.
I would tend to agree on 1, but not necessarily on 2. If we're just talking about popularity in America, I still think the Rumours band would win, mainly because in America, that IS Fleetwood Mac.

Actually, I'd think Bob Welch would probably be more likely to have AA fans, as his stuff was more jazzy and funky. Bob's influences are as rooted in African American music as Peter Green's, maybe even moreso. But, Bob's influences are seen as still being relevant to many African Americans. Sadly, many African Americans write off the blues as being slave music, and don't realize its importance to American culture. Given the connotation of the blues for many African Americans, imagine how it must look to see a white person playing "the slave's" music. In fact, I'd say that a typical blues audience in my area is probably only 15-20% African American, regardless of who's on the bill (i.e. B.B. King or Buddy Guy). When I saw Peter Green in Cleveland, I think the audience was about 100% white.
Quote:
Are there many classic rock bands that do have much of a black fan base, though? Are there many classic rock bands that have black people in them?
In terms of classic rock, the Allman Bros. have a black drummer, Eric Clapton has been touring with Nathan East for about twenty years, and we can't forget about Hendrix. The problem is that over the last fifteen years, the lines between various sects of popular music have become much more rigid. So, where would one put groups like War, Sly & The Family Stone, or Earth, Wind, & Fire? You can't tell me that people who were likely to buy a Fleetwood Mac album in the '70s weren't also likely to buy an Earth, Wind, & Fire album.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 06-06-2005, 05:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Are there many classic rock bands that do have much of a black fan base, though? Are there many classic rock bands that have black people in them?
Holy cow, yes...see below

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD
In terms of classic rock, the Allman Bros. have a black drummer, Eric Clapton has been touring with Nathan East for about twenty years, and we can't forget about Hendrix. The problem is that over the last fifteen years, the lines between various sects of popular music have become much more rigid. So, where would one put groups like War, Sly & The Family Stone, or Earth, Wind, & Fire? You can't tell me that people who were likely to buy a Fleetwood Mac album in the '70s weren't also likely to buy an Earth, Wind, & Fire album.
Beatles/Rolling Stones/Eric Clapton Band: um...hello? BILLY PRESTON!!!

Doobie Brothers: Bassist Tiran Porter; later to be replaced by Willie Weeks...then Tiran came back, then I haven't a clue who their bass player is now.

Dave Mason Band/Steve Miller Band: bassist Gerald Johnson (I'm surprised you didn't mention HIM, Steve-o!)

Jimi Hendrix's Band Of Gypsys was ALL-black: Buddy Miles, drums; Billy Cox, bass...and then there's the all-black rock band, LIVING COLOR ...guitarist Vernon Reid is the only member I know by name.

The Allman Bros have had TWO black bass players: the late Lamar Willams and currently Oteil Burbridge.

Current Rolling Stones bass player (and bass player in the first Sting solo band): Darryl Jones

And, while were talking Sting's first band: the late Kenny Kirkland, keyboards, sax player Branford Marsalis, drummer Omar Hakim, too. Background singers, Janice Pendarvis & Dolette McDonald

And, later, drummer Manu Katche' (who previously had been in Peter Gabriel's band)

E-Street Band: CLARENCE CLEAMONS...and ex-E Street-er, ex-Sting band, ex-Eric Clapton Band keyboardist David Sancious

Santana's had more black members than I can even remember...original bass player, Dave Brown...singer Greg Walker (from the late '70's/early 80's incarnation)...keyboardist Leon Patillo (from the mid-70's incarnation.

And, Fleetwood Mac & Stevie Nicks have had black members of their touring entourage:

Eliscia Wright, Lynn Mabry, Lenny Castro, Bobby Hunt, Bobbye Hall...the bass player for Stevie's Street Angel & Enchanted tours, whose name I've forgotten...oh, wait...yeah...Don Boyette. And, Lindsey's bass player on the OotC tour...another space out on a name. Bob Welch's drummer for French Kiss and Three Hearts albums, Alvin Taylor

Ex-Animals lead singer Eric Burdon had an all-black backup band in the mid-70's (the Eric Burdon Band)...of which the aforementioned Alvin Taylor was the drummer.

It just seems ridiculous to even have to mention these people as "being black". It's the music that comes out of 'em, not the color of their skin.
Old 06-06-2005, 05:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
Holy cow, yes...see below

Beatles/Rolling Stones/Eric Clapton Band: um...hello? BILLY PRESTON!!!

Doobie Brothers: Bassist Tiran Porter; later to be replaced by Willie Weeks...then Tiran came back, then I haven't a clue who their bass player is now.

Dave Mason Band/Steve Miller Band: bassist Gerald Johnson (I'm surprised you didn't mention HIM, Steve-o!)

Jimi Hendrix's Band Of Gypsys was ALL-black: Buddy Miles, drums; Billy Cox, bass...and then there's the all-black rock band, LIVING COLOR ...guitarist Vernon Reid is the only member I know by name.

The Allman Bros have had TWO black bass players: the late Lamar Willams and currently Oteil Burbridge.

Current Rolling Stones bass player (and bass player in the first Sting solo band): Darryl Jones

And, while were talking Sting's first band: the late Kenny Kirkland, keyboards, sax player Branford Marsalis, drummer Omar Hakim, too. Background singers, Janice Pendarvis & Dolette McDonald

And, later, drummer Manu Katche' (who previously had been in Peter Gabriel's band)

E-Street Band: CLARENCE CLEAMONS...and ex-E Street-er, ex-Sting band, ex-Eric Clapton Band keyboardist David Sancious

Santana's had more black members than I can even remember...original bass player, Dave Brown...singer Greg Walker (from the late '70's/early 80's incarnation)...keyboardist Leon Patillo (from the mid-70's incarnation.

And, Fleetwood Mac & Stevie Nicks have had black members of their touring entourage:

Eliscia Wright, Lynn Mabry, Lenny Castro, Bobby Hunt, Bobbye Hall...the bass player for Stevie's Street Angel & Enchanted tours, whose name I've forgotten...oh, wait...yeah...Don Boyette. And, Lindsey's bass player on the OotC tour...another space out on a name. Bob Welch's drummer for French Kiss and Three Hearts albums, Alvin Taylor

Ex-Animals lead singer Eric Burdon had an all-black backup band in the mid-70's (the Eric Burdon Band)...of which the aforementioned Alvin Taylor was the drummer.

It just seems ridiculous to even have to mention these people. It's the music that comes out of 'em, not the color of their skin.
Hey! Don't forget Randy Jackson in Journey!

Old 06-06-2005, 05:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My list was FAR, FAR, FAR from "complete".
Old 06-06-2005, 05:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
My list was FAR, FAR, FAR from "complete".
Still, I don't think bunches of AFA's like those bands....

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 06-06-2005, 05:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
Hey! Don't forget Randy Jackson in Journey!
Hell, I've BEEN trying to forget about that! Randy Jackson in tight leather pants. Sorry, but there's not enough beer in Milwuakee to make me think that was a good idea!

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 06-06-2005, 05:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
later to be replaced by Willie Weeks

FYI, Willie Weeks also played on Billy Burnette's "Coming Home" album. For that matter, Nathan East played on Bob Welch's s/t album. And, let's not forget Greg Wright of The Zoo! While not a "rock" album per se, can I mention Fleetwood Mac In Chicago? I'd mention "The Visitor," but this discussion is about African AMERICANS, and those folks were Africans.

As for Gerald Johnson, I actually didn't know he was black. I've never seen a picture of him. Hey, I didn't have a lot to work with when I had that Dave Mason site!

Finally, dont' forget that it was Eric Burdon who actually founded War!

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 06-06-2005, 05:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation Woooooooo!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackaghost
Let's get Lindsey to do a private concert just for us Christy. It will be 10 x better than Soundstage.
I'm so there, Sharon!! I. am. so. there! It has to be in London too. Hehe!

BTW, I chatted with a black dude at Best Buy once about FM. I was looking at their CDs and he goes "You like FM, you're too young!" I told him I was 27 (at the time, I was) and he told me he used to listen to them when he was in the Army. He liked the blues FM.
Old 06-06-2005, 05:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
Still, I don't think bunches of AFA's like those bands....
It's hard to say. They don't collect demographic information from Soundscan. However, it was a two-part question, and we answered the only part that anybody really could answer.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 06-06-2005, 05:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD
It's hard to say. They don't collect demographic information from Soundscan. However, it was a two-part question, and we answered the only part that anybody really could answer.
Fair enough. I really doubt there are many, though, judging from what I've heard/seen. No big.

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 06-06-2005, 06:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant
I think there are alot of African-American fans of Stevie and the Mac. I just don't think they shell out the cash to see them live because their are other artists that are more ingrained into their culture. For example, Etta James is playing here in Denver the same day that Stevie is at Red Rocks, and I'm sure there will be very few white people in the audience at that show.
Etta James and Stevie Nicks the same day?!?!?! And I'll miss them both, Yippeee!

Romy

Non vogliate negar l'esperienza
di retro al sol, del mondo sanza gente
Considerate la vostra semenza
fatti non foste a viver come bruti
ma per seguir virtute e canoscenza ~ Dante Alighieri, Divina Commedia, Inferno Canto XXVI
Old 06-06-2005, 06:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serrart
Etta James and Stevie Nicks the same day?!?!?! And I'll miss them both, Yippeee!
Ouch. I feel your pain. Although, I don't know if I could make the decision as to who I'd see. Stevie is a member of my favorite band, but Etta is a major influence on my favorite band. I'd probably choose Etta only because I haven't had the opportunity to see her live, whereas I've seen Stevie six times (once solo).

THE Stephen Hopkins