User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-12-2005, 11:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad4stevie
What was the "slander"? That he was in rehab? I thought Danny announced that himself!
Here's the news article.

Bonaduce Sues Radio Host for Slander
By WENN
Former Partridge Family star Danny Bonaduce is suing his former radio show co-host Jamie White for slander.
Bonaduce, who used to host The Jamie and Danny Show on Los Angeles station Star FM, alleges White made "numerous false and defamatory statements" on air about the redhead actor, while he was in rehabilitation for his alcohol addiction in May.

Bonaduce, 46, claims White lied about him attending work while under the influence of drugs or alcohol, and is asking for compensatory and punitive damages.

The actor, who played Danny in the cult 1970s show, quotes White as telling listeners, "I've been so patient about all of this crap, you know. I've been so freaking patient about and I've dealt with it, and I've dealt with [Bonaduce] being higher than a kite on this show."

Bonaduce also alleges White claimed Star FM couldn't insure him because of his substance abuse and he swore at his daughter in front of his radio colleagues.

The actor was fired from Star FM earlier this summer after six years working at the station.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Supposedly the ratings have gone in the toilet since he left the show. Jamie White is one nasty woman.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

What triggered Danny to start using again? His wife already put up with enough the first time around before he got clean last time. I also don't know how she stays with him.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzeQuze
What triggered Danny to start using again? His wife already put up with enough the first time around before he got clean last time. I also don't know how she stays with him.
The bipolar manic episode likely started the alcohol abuse. Here is some information on bipolar disorder:

Bipolar disorder is a serious mental illness that affects millions of Americans each year. If untreated, the disease can produce dramatic mood swings—and can seriously disrupt a person's life and the lives of those around them. While most people have their share of ups and downs, people with bipolar disorder experience a vicious cycle of dangerous highs called "mania" and debilitating lows known as "depression."

The two "poles" of bipolar: mania and depression
In bipolar disorder, the periods of highs and lows are called manic and depressive "episodes." During manic episodes, your mood soars and your mind races. You may go days without sleep, and you can vastly overestimate your abilities. In periods of depression, just getting out of bed can feel like climbing Mt. Everest. You may have difficulty concentrating, and you may lose interest in all your favorite activities. Some people also experience what's known as a "mixed episode," where symptoms of depression accompany the mania.

The length of an episode often differs for each person, and the pattern can change over time. Sometimes an episode will last a few hours or days; other times, it can go on for weeks or even months. In between these episodes, most people with bipolar disorder have a relatively normal period (what doctors call "euthymia"). A series of four or more manic or depressive episodes in 12 months is known as "rapid cycling," a condition that can be more difficult to treat.

How doctors define bipolar disorder
Doctors have identified four different forms of bipolar disorder:

Bipolar I disorder—Recurring manic episodes or mixed episodes, and often one or more episodes of depression.
Bipolar II disorder—Depression that alternates with a milder form of mania called "hypomania."
Cyclothymic disorder—Moods that shift between short periods of mild mania and mild depression. (Many people with cyclothymia may later develop a more severe form of bipolar illness.)
Bipolar disorder not otherwise specified (NOS)—Any form of the illness that doesn't fit the above definitions (e.g., recurring hypomania with no depressive symptoms).

Also - how substance abuse factors into this illness:

Substance abuse is very common among people with bipolar disorder. In fact, about 60% of the bipolar population has an alcohol or drug abuse problem, according to recent research by the National Institute of Mental Health.

People with untreated bipolar disorder often turn to alcohol and street drugs to try to calm manic episodes, or pick themselves up during low periods. Some have trouble sleeping through the night or even just falling asleep, so they drink alcohol to make themselves feel sleepy.

But substance abuse only makes the situation worse. Using alcohol or street drugs to manage the effects of bipolar disorder is dangerous and ineffective. It can also hide symptoms that are important to recognize, and interfere with the medication that a doctor has prescribed. And, abusing drugs or alcohol can make future manic and depressive episodes worse and more frequent.

Additional information can be found here: http://www.bipolarhelpcenter.com/index.jsp?reqNavId=0

This is an illness that everyone should be aware of. Nearly 20% of people with bipolar illness will commit suicide, and nearly 70% of those with bipolar disorder have been misdiagnosed with depression only.

Well, someday when we're older
And my hair is silver gray
Unbraid with all of the love that you have
Like a soft, silver chain . . .
Old 10-14-2005, 10:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for posting that, Heather. I actually didn't realize he was bipolar. I watched a few episodes of this show last night and it really is heart breaking. I hope that he can get himself together.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzeQuze
Thanks for posting that, Heather. I actually didn't realize he was bipolar. I watched a few episodes of this show last night and it really is heart breaking. I hope that he can get himself together.
It is heartbreaking to watch, especially when you consider that it is an organic brain disease that no one would ever "chose" to have. The good news it that it can be controlled through medication and psychotherapy. However, part of the stuggle of treating bipolar is that when someone feels manic (which can be triggered by stress or major life events), they stop taking their meds because they feel "great". Of course, that is the exact wrong thing to do, and their illness spirals out of control, often resulting in hospitalization. A good support network is key, also.

Well, someday when we're older
And my hair is silver gray
Unbraid with all of the love that you have
Like a soft, silver chain . . .
Old 10-14-2005, 11:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad4stevie
It is heartbreaking to watch, especially when you consider that it is an organic brain disease that no one would ever "chose" to have. The good news it that it can be controlled through medication and psychotherapy. However, part of the stuggle of treating bipolar is that when someone feels manic (which can be triggered by stress or major life events), they stop taking their meds because they feel "great". Of course, that is the exact wrong thing to do, and their illness spirals out of control, often resulting in hospitalization. A good support network is key, also.
Yeah, I majored in psych and also had a friend who is bipolar so I am aware of the symptoms and behaviors. I watched my friend go through the ups and downs, the alcohol abuse, and then hit bottom. She did get on the right meds and level out though. She quit the booze too. It was all very difficult. I know she missed the mania, I guess it is quite a high. But then you wind up spending $30,000 on a party at the Waldorf when you don't have a pot to piss in. An aunt of mine did something like that. So staying on the meds is necessary I know. I think early intervention would help prevent the needless suffering of many. Unfortunately the stigma of mental illness and lack of education about it creates an environment where few seek treatment until they are really hurting.
Old 10-15-2005, 10:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yeah I agree that Danny is bipolar. I have a bipolar mother and it is always a struggle with her to take her medication. I spent half of my summer trying to get her to take her meds while she was in a manic state and then having to put her in the hospital. It really is heart breaking to have to go to the hospital and fill out the paperwork and then go to the police station to get the cops and an ambulance to come get your mother and take her to the hospital. I spent a lot of time feeling guilty for doing that to her but I know that if I wouldnt have done that then I think that she would have died. My mother is so bad off that without medication she cant even function. She will leave the water on without thinking, wont eat or sleep for days and then she will go off the road when she is driving the car. I feel so bad for people that have mental disorders. All they want is to be like everybody else and not have to take medication but instead they are doomed to a life of confusion because when they are in a manic state everything is so great and they cant figure out why anybody thinks they are acting strange. When they are depressed they cant imagine why they would ever stop taking their medication and they constantly ask "why me". I would do anything to make it so my mother wasnt bipolar but there is nothing I can do but be there for her when she needs me. It is hard though.