Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-14-2015, 07:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Stevie Nicks says relationship with ex Lindsey Buckingham remains tense

http://www.examiner.com/article/stev...-remains-tense

Stevie Nicks says relationship with ex Lindsey Buckingham remains tense

January 14, 2015

Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham of Fleetwood Mac perform on NBC's 'Today Show' on October 9, 2014 in New York.
Photo by Noam Galai/Getty Images

Stevie Nicks has revealed that her relationship with ex-boyfriend and ongoing bandmate Lindsey Buckingham continues to remain tense despite the decades that have passed since their break up. The pair broke up during the recording sessions for Fleetwood Mac's multi-platinum selling 1977 studio album Rumours.

According to a new cover story interview posted Jan. 14 at Rolling Stone, the two-time Grammy winner maintains that tensions between the former lovers remain "exactly" the same as when they broke up. Despite the break up, ongoing infighting and the pursuit of solo careers, the pair have remained in Fleetwood Mac and are part of the current reunion tour, which includes the return of long estranged Mac singer-songwriter Christine McVie, which begins its second U.S. leg Jan. 16 in St. Paul, Minneapolis, at Excel Energy Center and wraps up April 11 in Las Vegas, Nevada, at the MGM Grand Garden Arena.

Characterizing their relationship as antagonistic, the diminutive diva describes the conflict in an interview with Rolling Stone. "He and I will always be antagonizing to each other, and we will always do things that will irritate each other, and we really know how to push each other's buttons," says Nicks. " We know exactly what to say when we really want to throw a dagger and I think that that's not different now than it was when we were 20."

Over the holiday season, Nicks made a surprise appearance at Deer Tick's New Year's Eve gig. The two-time Grammy winner joined the alt-rockers onstage to help celebrate their final night of a 10th anniversary six-night stand in Brooklyn, New York, at the Brooklyn Bowl to perform her 1975 Fleetwood Mac hit "Rhiannon."

Nicks recently released a new solo studio album 24 Karat Gold: Songs from the Vault, which hit shelves Sept. 30 via Reprise and will spend most of 2015 touring the world with Mac's hugely successful On With The Show Tour, which will include a headline appearance June 14, 2015 at the Isle of Wight Festival and multiple night runs May 27-28, as well as June 22-30 at London's prestigious O2 Arena . For the latest information on Stevie Nicks, click here and for Fleetwood Mac, click here.

Did you know? Prior to joining with Fleetwood Mac, Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham released at studio album together titled Buckingham Nicks in 1973.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 01-14-2015, 08:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

wait, what happened to the lovey-dovey never-been-better we-sat-and-talked-and-hashed-it-all-out bull we were getting before Chris returned?? Was that all just…..marketing???
Old 01-14-2015, 08:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Christine is also quoted is Stevie's Rolling Stone article..

“Stevie is very direct, very honest, very self-obsessed in a way. And I don’t mean that in a bad way. She has her brand, you know? She’s an icon. She’s a genius. She’s a lovely, kind, beautiful woman, and I love her to death"
Old 01-14-2015, 08:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
wait, what happened to the lovey-dovey never-been-better we-sat-and-talked-and-hashed-it-all-out bull we were getting before Chris returned?? Was that all just…..marketing???
I would say yes...They have been rehearsing the same "Soap Opera" for years...
Old 01-14-2015, 09:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
well, now all of the sudden their relationship was always the same, always antagonistic, never changed... makes you wonder what other stuff said in these interviews is complete fiction.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 01-14-2015, 10:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie's won two Grammys?? I just thought Album of the Year for Rumours.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
well, now all of the sudden their relationship was always the same, always antagonistic, never changed... makes you wonder what other stuff said in these interviews is complete fiction.
Hmm, maybe the part about him singing like an angel.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Or maybe 'we sat down and talked and forgave each other and things are better than ever' and 'we still antagonise one another and have arguments' just aren't as mutually exclusive as you seem to think...

Or maybe the assumption that it's the 'we're getting along' is the PR 'lie' rather than the 'we're not getting along' isn't 100% correct...

Or maybe she focuses on different elements of the relationship (positive/negative) depending on her mood, the interviewer, the publication, the time, and neither of those elements is their relationship in totality...

The 'being able to push one another buttons' is just ONE of the consistent things in the 'we never change' spiel she gives A LOT.

"In many, many ways, Lindsey and I are still the same people that we were when we met at 16 and 17. There’s a part of our relationship that remains unchanged. It doesn’t matter that he’s married with kids. It doesn’t matter what my life is. When we’re together we can still be incredibly teenage."

"My relationship with Lindsey is pretty much the pivotal one in my life… Meeting him was my destiny… It doesn’t matter whether the other person has married or had children. What matters are the things you experienced together."

"It was the same when we were 16 and 17 as it is now that we’re 63 and 64. We’re exactly the same people."

"He’s found a good, happy, calm, safe place — but who Lindsey and I are to each other will never change.”

"It’s still the same fire, oh yeah, because Lindsey and I, you know, we have that everlasting love affair, that though, he’s married and has 3 children, can you believe that, he has 3 children - and he is a total dad, you know, he has been taking little girls to ballet lessons - but we still have that dynamic, that just is, that just exists, and will still be existing when we are 90 years old."

"There’s nothing going on between you and me except that there will always be something going on between you and me. Until the day we die"
Old 01-14-2015, 11:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInNV View Post
Hmm, maybe the part about him singing like an angel.
sure. and how about oh i don't know?? tons of other stuff!! sifting through these interviews to try understand what's actually going on with this practically biggest touring band nowadays is not really helpful.

i scanned that RS interview and was amazed at all the regurgitating of every single FM legendary thousand-times told story and practically nothing new. she was not promoting any new product (or her solo career, really). why was she interviewed exactly?

when Mick had similar RS interview he was announcing the end of FM... what was she announcing? that Christine came back and therefore they could sell out twice over all the same venues they couldn't last year and yet Christine is just a supporting character in this interview somehow. why? why was Christine not the one interviewed?

Old 01-14-2015, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Hmmmm??? I'm so confused?? I thought they were really still loved each other and the whole "Lindsey getting married thing and having kids" it was all a front.

Say what you want about, Stevie Nicks (and mgmt).. but the girl is a marketing genius. And I am dead serious about that. These people lap it up like a soap opera. She knows how to sell herself and she commits to her stories, her music and her marketing.. I seriously think the woman is smarter than all of them.

.... Now stay tuned for............ As The World Turnings.... and The Macs of Our Lives....
Old 01-14-2015, 11:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
sure. and how about oh i don't know?? tons of other stuff!! sifting through these interviews to try understand what's actually going on with this practically biggest touring band nowadays is not really helpful.

i scanned that RS interview and was amazed at all the regurgitating of every single FM legendary thousand-times told story and practically nothing new. she was not promoting any new product (or her solo career, really). why was she interviewed exactly?

when Mick had similar RS interview he was announcing the end of FM... what was she announcing? that Christine came back and therefore they could sell out twice over all the same venues they couldn't last year and yet Christine is just a supporting character in this interview somehow. why? why was Christine not the one interviewed?
It wasn't to announce anything. It wasn't to promote anything in particular, really, except HER. It's part of trying to build a certain legacy for herself, I believe.

And not 'sure'. One thing she's always been consistent on is that she truly believed and believes in Lindsey's talent. She used to make tapes of his guitar parts to do ballet to, lol.

"I love Lindsey. I love him very, very much and I wanted Lindsey to make it and I wanted this album to be as successful as…If this album is more successful than my album, I would be so glad. You know, when "Trouble" (the single from Buckingham’s LP) came out, I was saying, let it go straight to the top. Because it only makes my life easier when Lindsey is happy. ‘Cause when Lindsey is happy, he’s really in a good humor and he’s wonderful and he and I really get along and we’re close. For me, when you love somebody, you want them to be the best."

[Stevie Nicks, 1982]

"Because by that time [when Buckingham Nicks was dropped] I was to the point where… You know, I’m very loyal and I certainly was Lindsey’s biggest fan and I thought he was the greatest guitar player in the world and had the most beautiful voice. He’s one of those people that I walked into the room once and he sat there and played a song and it was room’s on fire. He’s one of those. He’s one of those men.

And whatever I had to do to keep him going was okay because it was more important to me that Lindsey make it than it was that I made it. Because I knew that I could do a hundred other things and no one could ever take my music away from me. I could still write songs and play and I could take my music in whatever I did. I would be fine; I knew that.

I worried about him. I didn’t know what he would do and because I was so in love with him there wasn’t any - there was no question. There was never a question in my mind that I would stick in there until, if we didn’t both make it, at least I got him up there. And when you love somebody and you see the pain in their face when they even consider the fact that you might not make it, it’s like “don’t even consider the fact that we’re not going to make it; we are”. And in my heart I’m saying to myself “If I have to, y’know, if I have to comb this town, I will find somebody to listen to us, that we understand how good we are, that will at least know how good he is.”

[Stevie Nicks, 2011]

"There’s nothing going on between you and me except that there will always be something going on between you and me. Until the day we die"
Old 01-14-2015, 11:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Hmmmm??? I'm so confused?? I thought they were really still loved each other and the whole "Lindsey getting married thing and having kids" it was all a front.
I'm sorry but HOW is still loving each other incompatible with “He and I will always be anatagonizing to each other, and we will always do things that will irritate each other, and we really know how to push each other’s buttons."

She's said this kind of thing forever.

"We tangle a lot, but we love each other. We’ll always love each other. He and I will never get away from the fact that we were as one for so many years." [1982]

Saying they argue does NOT negate love. In fact, she often talks about them both together.

Old 01-14-2015, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole21290 View Post
I'm sorry but HOW is still loving each other incompatible with “He and I will always be anatagonizing to each other, and we will always do things that will irritate each other, and we really know how to push each other’s buttons."

She's said this kind of thing forever.

"We tangle a lot, but we love each other. We’ll always love each other. He and I will never get away from the fact that we were as one for so many years." [1982]

Saying they argue does NOT negate love. In fact, she often talks about them both together.

It's sarcasm.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
It's sarcasm.
I do understand that you're sarcastic and it's a gentle mocking. The point stands. Nobody is spinning elaborate theories here about the family being a front, for goodness' sake. Just pointing out that her saying they argue now is nothing new, and doesn't negate any other kind of emotion, including love, thus meaning past interviews, which claim that, aren't automatically just lying PR. That's all.

Old 01-14-2015, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole21290 View Post
I do understand that you're sarcastic and it's a gentle mocking. The point stands. Nobody is spinning elaborate theories here about the family being a front, for goodness' sake. Just pointing out that her saying they argue now is nothing new, and doesn't negate any other kind of emotion, including love, thus meaning past interviews, which claim that, aren't automatically just lying PR. That's all.
I appreciate you think that. And I'm glad you get me because at the end of the day we are all fans. (and for the record, I wasn't mocking you, Nicole)

But in my opinion, she's a fantastic marketer and their relationship is staged for the benefit of the soap opera. You can post a million pictures, (and I love your gifs and pics.) but they will never convince me that it's nothing but staged. They love writing about each other because they are good at it and the fans love it. I'm just a fan of the band and the music and I'm certainly in the minority. But I've been following this band long enough to realize they set up a lot of PR that works for them..