Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWILDheart View Post
Screw you!
Well Said !
Old 07-04-2015, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by welcomechris View Post
Shut up people why do you have to keep this up.
Quote:
Screw you!
This discussion is starting to resemble one of my holiday family reunions...

Last edited by SisterNightroad; 07-04-2015 at 01:57 PM..
Old 07-04-2015, 11:20 AM
Registered

I just think people on this board always have something to complain about. If Stevie threw a million dollars at you, You'd still figure out a way to make an argument about it.

Nobody can respect Stevie's opinions either. She is 67 years old. When I'm 67 I'll be in my house in California on the beach resting. Stevie is touring the world 2 and a half hours a night. Then she try's to be nice to fans and record an album for fans to enjoy, and people just bash it.

You have the right to think or say whatever you want, but I do too.
Old 07-04-2015, 11:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I think the production sounds fine, musically. The mixing and mastering sounds far superior to most albums being released today. My only complaint with this record is how the vocals were mixed into the music. I first noticed this when we got to hear "The Dealer". Something is off with the compression. And I feel that maybe they did it this way because the main intent was to master it for vinyl. When I listen on my record player, the vocals don't sound off at all. But when I listen to the CD or the download on my iPod, it sounds off again.

The thing is, I only really notice this on a handful of songs, NOT the whole album. And even then, it doesn't hamper the enjoyment for me.

I LOVE the raw aspect of this album and all of its eccentricities. As a whole entity, I don't think it's produced badly at all! Just some compression issues with the vocals on a few songs. That's it.
Old 07-04-2015, 12:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Belladonna, TWH, Rumours, etc, were all recorded on equipment that was large, bulky, expensive and built to AUDIOPHILE specs. Some of it might have been tube equipment, or custom built with old paper in oil capacitors, high quality transistors, and pure copper signal paths. The way that many studios are now they use digital tape, hard drives, computers, and glorified version of Garage Band. if there is a mixing console and other equipment I am betting it is all mass produced Chinese crap . I do not know if 24K was recorded on tape, but if it was I am guessing the mixing console, equipment and all that was far inferior to the mixing consoles of old. Modern music is all done in the digital world now. I dont know much about Blackbird studios, but I am sure it is nowhere near as god as the old Record Plant, Sound City and Capitol studios sound boards and equipment. They did the best they could with how long they had to record, how much money they could spend and how much time they had to perfect it. Could have been worse!

As for Child Lord Algae Plum..... i think he is getting old and is suffering hearing loss. His mixes are not all that. I like what he did with Sleeping Angel on the Enchanted box set though.

Last edited by AnthonyMI; 07-04-2015 at 12:31 PM..
Old 07-04-2015, 01:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I'm in complete agreement with the OP. It's sloppy, lazy and rushed. So what if it was recorded in two weeks? It should still SOUND good. The vocals are distorted all over the place. It makes it sound like no thought or care really went into it.

there is a difference between songs being minimally produced and sh&tty sound quality.

The vocal edits on 24k are some of the worst ever. You can totally hear the cuts from one take to another, and she sounds blurry on so much of it. There's no excuse not to have clear clean sound no matter how simply a song is produced. Good examples are many of her demos--- just her and a piano, can't get more minimally produced than that, and yet her vocals are clear (except in some cases where she physically moved away from the mic). Sloppy sloppy. It's like they got cocky about how well they could mash it all together with computer technology.
Old 07-04-2015, 01:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The vocals on 24KG are muffled and distorted. It sounds as though she's singing into a pillow.
Old 07-04-2015, 02:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Anybody have some specific examples of the bad overdubs and so on so the less attuned, like me, can get a better sense of what the problems might be?
Old 07-04-2015, 04:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by welcomechris View Post
I just think people on this board always have something to complain about. If Stevie threw a million dollars at you, You'd still figure out a way to make an argument about it.

Nobody can respect Stevie's opinions either. She is 67 years old. When I'm 67 I'll be in my house in California on the beach resting. Stevie is touring the world 2 and a half hours a night. Then she try's to be nice to fans and record an album for fans to enjoy, and people just bash it.

You have the right to think or say whatever you want, but I do too.
Oh give it a rest! Who are you trying to preach to? You won't find a bigger Stevie fan than myself - I've been following her career since I was 4 years old! I've bought everything she's released in my lifetime on release day and at her first and only solo show in my country in my lifetime, I was outside the venue from 7am!

I can sing her praises and DO sing her praises constantly. Just because I'm a Stevie fan doesn't mean I have to believe everything she does is perfect. And regardless of how old she is, if Stevie is going to continue to make music, it should be of a high a standard. She set the standard herself, she should keep it up. Stevie is, after all, a professional and should be critcised as such. Sloppy work in any career will be scrutinised. IYD was fantastic and well produced - there is no reason why 24KG couldn't have recieved the same treatment.

She didn't make an album "for fans to enjoy", she rushed an album together to get out of her contract.

All this is coming from a fan who frequently praises "Street Angel" and considers BD, TWH and TISL as 3 of the greatest albums ever made.
Old 07-04-2015, 06:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It sounds great through my setup and it sounds 100 percent better then what I hear on the radio.

Its not compressed like todays recordings are.

Atlease she can still sing .The others cant without autotune.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 07-04-2015, 06:24 PM

Old 07-04-2015, 10:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Oh give it a rest! Who are you trying to preach to? You won't find a bigger Stevie fan than myself - I've been following her career since I was 4 years old! I've bought everything she's released in my lifetime on release day and at her first and only solo show in my country in my lifetime, I was outside the venue from 7am!

I can sing her praises and DO sing her praises constantly. Just because I'm a Stevie fan doesn't mean I have to believe everything she does is perfect. And regardless of how old she is, if Stevie is going to continue to make music, it should be of a high a standard. She set the standard herself, she should keep it up. Stevie is, after all, a professional and should be critcised as such. Sloppy work in any career will be scrutinised. IYD was fantastic and well produced - there is no reason why 24KG couldn't have recieved the same treatment.

She didn't make an album "for fans to enjoy", she rushed an album together to get out of her contract.

All this is coming from a fan who frequently praises "Street Angel" and considers BD, TWH and TISL as 3 of the greatest albums ever made.
If she didn't tell us the album was done in two weeks you wouldn't be complaining about it. Best album she has done since Bella Donna.
Old 07-05-2015, 12:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The funny thing is that there are A LOT of production issues on both "Bella Donna" and "The Wild Heart". Not just vocally, but musically, and in the mixing and mastering as well...and nobody complains about those albums in regards to those issues.

I could compile a HUGE list of production issues with those albums, and go song by song if needed.

But the fact is both those records are lauded as being a part of the "very best" of Stevie's solo career (and I would agree) so everyone turns a blind eye to the production "mistakes", despite there being many more "issues" than 24KG!

So why are we "picking apart" 24KG just because it was recorded in 2-3 weeks?
What's funny is that NO ONE is complaining about the music and how it was mixed. EVERYONE here seems to be complaining about the weird compressed vocals within the mix. Granted, that's a big reason as to why we are all Stevie fans...BECAUSE of her voice.

No. The timeframe of when it was recorded to when it was released has NOTHING to do with the weird compressed vocals. They are what they are. You either like them or you don't. I, for one, refuse to let something as innocuous as weird compressed vocal takes hinder my enjoyment of an album I've been waiting YEARS for her to record.

"If You Were My Love", "ATBW", "Belle Fleur", "Hard Advice", "Watch Chain" and ESPECIALLY "24 Karat Gold" are just pure, classic Stevie Nicks...and I defy ANYONE to tell me otherwise simply because of a "compression" or "production" foible. How stupid!
Old 07-05-2015, 04:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

"Shut up people! Why do you have to keep this up?"

I like the somewhat raw, imperfect sound of the album because it is so distinct from her previous work. What some might see/hear as flaws, I consider as unguarded intimacy and immediacy.

Several unusual factors come into play with this album. Not only did it lean on a batch of unearthed abandoned songs, it was recorded with unprecedented expediency, with efficient session musicians much like the lauded Wrecking Crew in the 1960s. It bears no resemblance to Stevie's arduous conventional methods. That is why some people see it as a refreshing change of pace.

That there are such wide contradictions of opinion of the album is perversely a good thing, Noteworthy art, like it or leave it, often evokes polarizing perspectives.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 07-05-2015 at 04:18 AM..
Old 07-05-2015, 04:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer999 View Post
The funny thing is that there are A LOT of production issues on both "Bella Donna" and "The Wild Heart". Not just vocally, but musically, and in the mixing and mastering as well...and nobody complains about those albums in regards to those issues.

I could compile a HUGE list of production issues with those albums, and go song by song if needed.

But the fact is both those records are lauded as being a part of the "very best" of Stevie's solo career (and I would agree) so everyone turns a blind eye to the production "mistakes", despite there being many more "issues" than 24KG!

So why are we "picking apart" 24KG just because it was recorded in 2-3 weeks?
What's funny is that NO ONE is complaining about the music and how it was mixed. EVERYONE here seems to be complaining about the weird compressed vocals within the mix. Granted, that's a big reason as to why we are all Stevie fans...BECAUSE of her voice.

No. The timeframe of when it was recorded to when it was released has NOTHING to do with the weird compressed vocals. They are what they are. You either like them or you don't. I, for one, refuse to let something as innocuous as weird compressed vocal takes hinder my enjoyment of an album I've been waiting YEARS for her to record.

"If You Were My Love", "ATBW", "Belle Fleur", "Hard Advice", "Watch Chain" and ESPECIALLY "24 Karat Gold" are just pure, classic Stevie Nicks...and I defy ANYONE to tell me otherwise simply because of a "compression" or "production" foible. How stupid!
Great points and perspective!