The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-21-2008, 01:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yes, I remember an interview where Christine said that Lindsey had already been planning to have more guitarists on the road with them (a scaled down vision of the "guitar army" he eventually used for his solo tour), so that they could get a fuller sound on stage.

Michele
Old 12-21-2008, 09:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Bob Welch got lucky in that he got three albums before any real expectations were put on his shoulders.
All the more reason I feel sorry for Danny in the greater FM equation. First to lose Peter like they (he) did when they were working so well together, then to take the reins with Jeremy, only to see him bail in the middle of a subsequent tour, then being thrust front and center, only to have Green return with his derailing "terms." With that whirlwind already dogging him, Kirwan was expected to carry Fleetwood Mac on his shoulders -- all at age 20. It's a marvel he did it as well as he did all things considered, to include losing the battle to his own growing substance abuses and insecurities, and in some ways you can hardly fault him for losing his own mind as time went on.

About ten years ago, a very handsome man, now prone to indie rock, asked Billy out-right about it...
"I vaguely recall reading somewhere that even if Lindsey hadn't left in 1987, you were probably going to be asked to at least be a backing guitarist/vocalist on the 1987 tour. Is that true?" (Handsome Steve MacDougall, Columbus, Ohio, USA)

CHECK

Yes, that is what Mick talked about.

MATE

Nothing worse than getting it directly from the source(s) -- pwnd x2!

SO there it is! DISAPPOINTED BUT AGAIN! LINDSEY, HOW COULD YOUUUU!! ARGGH

Last edited by snoot; 12-21-2008 at 09:45 PM..
Old 12-21-2008, 09:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Yes, I remember an interview where Christine said that Lindsey had already been planning to have more guitarists on the road with them (a scaled down vision of the "guitar army" he eventually used for his solo tour), so that they could get a fuller sound on stage.
pwnd x3!

Hurts so good to know you know?

Of course, it would only have mattered if Lucky Lindsey let the second fiddle have a bit of the spotlight, enough free reign to count in the affair. If so, that would have been a BLAST to see!

Leaving us to ask but again, WHY OH WHY NOT?
Old 12-21-2008, 09:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Here's my thoughts on Kiln House..

Simply Fantastic! - Jewel Eyed Judy One of my favourite FM songs!
Great - Station Man, Earl Gray
Good - Tell Me All The Things You Do, Hi Ho Silver, One Together, Mission Bell
Okay - This is The Rock, Blood on the Floor, Buddy's Song

Kiln House has some of my favourite Danny tracks and my some of my least-favourite Jeremy tracks. I've found that my favourite JS songs were recorded with Peter - i.e. Shake Your Moneymaker - that's a riot and a half!

"Or maybe she's a witch, who transcends the boundaries of time and space, and traveled back to 1981, for her own reference."
Old 12-21-2008, 09:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moz View Post
Here's my thoughts on Kiln House..

Simply Fantastic! - Jewel Eyed Judy One of my favourite FM songs!
Great - Station Man, Earl Gray
Good - Tell Me All The Things You Do, Hi Ho Silver, One Together, Mission Bell
Okay - This is The Rock, Blood on the Floor, Buddy's Song

Kiln House has some of my favourite Danny tracks and my some of my least-favourite Jeremy tracks. I've found that my favourite JS songs were recorded with Peter - i.e. Shake Your Moneymaker - that's a riot and a half!
You're not too big on rockabilly, are you? How about straight Buddy Holly?

Of course Mission Bell could have been covered by the Everly Brothers, so that doesn't really count.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Nah, haven't really been into rockabilly or Buddy Holly - but then again, I haven't heard much. When I was younger I didn't like the blues and now I do! My musical tastes are a-changin'..

"Or maybe she's a witch, who transcends the boundaries of time and space, and traveled back to 1981, for her own reference."
Old 12-21-2008, 10:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wow, it's weird that I started this thread over four years ago and now that its been brought back up to the top I finally own it. Here's my thoughts on Kiln House:

Best of the Great: Tell Me All The Things You Do

Great: Station Man, Jeweled Eyed Judy

Very Good: Hi Ho Silver

Good: One Together, This is the Rock

OK: Earl Grey, Buddys Song

Bad: Blood on the Floor, Mission Bell

He Will Burn You Down
Old 12-21-2008, 10:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Nah, haven't really been into rockabilly or Buddy Holly - but then again, I haven't heard much. When I was younger I didn't like the blues and now I do! My musical tastes are a-changin'..
Get to it man. No time better than the present. If you don't Holly, you don't like rock n roll.

I'm always floored at how far my musical tastes have evolved over time. Things I used to boo hoo I now find not so horrific, in fact, not so bad at all. Even certain tracks I used to think of as "filler" or "fluff" on many albums I've come to see in a different light, especially as time goes on. Not all mind you, but still more than I would have expected. Not sure if it is "burnout" from overplay of the age-old favorites, or just revisiting at a later place and time when my musical tastes have matured more. Some things I used to dismiss almost curtly I now "get," all these years later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Wow, it's weird that I started this thread over four years ago and now that its been brought back up to the top I finally own it.
Good to see the OP bringing up the rear. How was your sleep during all those years?
Old 12-22-2008, 12:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoot View Post
Get to it man.
Okay, what are some suggestions aside from good ol' Buddy?

Old 12-22-2008, 12:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Oh my gosh, too many to name. Any BEST OF or GH compilation should do. From The Original Masters (MCA, 1985), The Very Best Of Buddy Holly (MCA, 2004), or perhaps The Buddy Holly Collection (MCA, 1993). Any of those would be a great starter set, but of course there are other GH packages to be had beyond that.

Buddy is where it all began! (ok, along with Elvis, Lewis, Berry, Perkins, Haley, Orbison and the Everly Brothers). Never forget the trailblazers!
Old 12-22-2008, 12:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Holly PS

Whatever you get, make sure it covers his biggest hits: That'll Be The Day, Peggy Sue, Oh Boy!, Everyday, Maybe Baby, I'm Gonna Love You Too, Rave On, Think It Over, Fool's Paradise, Early In The Morning, Heartbeat, Raining In My Heart and It Doesn't Matter Anymore.

PLUS these golden gems: Words Of Love, Learning The Game, It's So Easy, Wishing, Not Fade Away, Well...All Right, Crying Waiting Hoping, Reminiscing, True Love Ways, What To Do, Look At Me, Tell Me How, Blue Days Black Nights, Rock Around With Ollie Vee, Peggy Sue Got Married, Changing All Those Changes, Moondreams, Holly Hop, Bo Diddley, Brown Eyed Handsome Man and Love's Made A Fool Of You.

Now you're made in the shade.
Old 12-22-2008, 01:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoot View Post
Get to it man. No time better than the present. If you don't (like) Holly, you don't like rock n roll.

WOW! That's the truest statement you've ever posted. Buddy Holly took Sun record Elvis and made it better. The Crickets are the first modern rock band IMHO.

At the age of nine, I had a 2 LP MCA collection of Buddy Holly songs. I was hooked for life. I now have a 2CD collection of many of the great songs, but I'm a little miffed that it doesn't have the GREAT song "Dearest" that's featured on the "Juno" soundtrack. It's only available as an import.

BTW, I'm still waiting for your Grateful Dead response to my post on another thread .
Old 12-22-2008, 01:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Ah, it feels good to find "new" songs (hey, I'm seventeen, any music pre-1960 is new to me)! Thanks for the recommendations.

Last edited by Moz; 12-22-2008 at 02:01 AM..
Old 12-22-2008, 02:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipkid View Post
WOW! That's the truest statement you've ever posted.
What? What does THAT supposed to mean!

Buddy Holly took Sun record Elvis and made it better. The Crickets are the first modern rock band IMHO.

It could be argued Bill Haley's band was the first true group, and Elvis the first true rocker (with Jerry Lee Lewis and Chuck Berry right on their heels), but I would say Buddy Holly was the foremost to capture the purest form of what we still readily identify today as "rock n roll". All of the above, along with Carl Perkins, had a distinct hand in the making of the genre, let's make no bones about that. There was also Little Richard parenthetically, but he was more R&B based. But from my vantage point, Holly was the purest.

At the age of nine, I had a 2 LP MCA collection of Buddy Holly songs. I was hooked for life. I now have a 2CD collection of many of the great songs, but I'm a little miffed that it doesn't have the GREAT song "Dearest" that's featured on the "Juno" soundtrack. It's only available as an import.

Great song. It's true, once you sample a good BH collection, you'll immediately know where so much of what we take for granted and groove to began, in better depth than ANY of the above mentioned artists. Call him the truest of the true! To think, all of his stuff was written and recorded within roughly a 3 year period! DAYUM

There's a reason Don McLean lamented Holly's death with his immortal American Pie.

Good to see you're so into Holly slipkid, and that you started so young. There's hope for you yet!

BTW, I'm still waiting for your Grateful Dead response to my post on another thread .

Alright, alright. I'll have to go revisit that thread. Now where is it?
Old 12-22-2008, 02:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I just noticed the words ASIDE FROM. Aye yea yea, senility must be catching up to me quicker than I knew!

Ok rockabilly in a nutshell: Carl Perkins, Bill Haley, Elvis Presley, Jerry Lee Lewis, and Roy Orbison were some of the biggest acts that dipped their heels in and out of rockabilly early on, to varying degrees. The rockabilly scene was going pretty strong until the coming of the Beatles and the British Invasion. Ironically, the Beatles were BIG admirers of the genre. In fact, John Lennon recorded an album in 1975 called "Rock 'n' Roll" that contains a whole slew of rockabilly hits - the cover even shows him in full Gene Vincent leather! WOOT. Big guns of the size of Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page were also influenced by rockabilly musicians.

On the heels of the early artists cited above came acts like Eddie Cochran, Gene Vincent, and Rick Nelson.

More modern acts include Dave Edmunds, with or without his band band Rockpile. Queen touched on it with their Crazy Little Thing Called Love, the last rockabilly song to hit #1 on Billboard. The most commercially successful of the newer rockabilly artists would have to be Brian Setzer & The Stray Cats. There's also The Blasters led by Phil and Dave Alvin out of Downey, California. John Fogerty touches on it a bit here and there, like with Centerfield from 1985. Then there's rowdy Hank Williams, Jr. on the country side of things I suppose. There's others to boot alluding me at the moment, that's for sure.

Quote:
Ah, it feels good to find "new" songs (hey, I'm seventeen, any music pre-1960 is new to me)! Thanks for the recommendations.
DANG Moz, you're already made in the shade. Big ups so far mate.

PS. Now go read those threads I mentioned earlier, in full. You'll only be that much wiser.