User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-16-2008, 04:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street_Dreamer View Post
Blood On The Floor is one of my all-time favorite Fleetwood Mac songs, and without question my favorite contribution from Jeremy to the band.
The more you listen to it, the more it grows on you, that's for sure. You got to give it a chance after the long drawl vocal inflection at the beginning. Jeremy sure belts that one out. It's what makes the song.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Kiln House

cute album

I saw them on the Kiln House Tour at Central Parks Wohlman Skating Rink
Shaeffer summer series
most of audience made up of drunk greasers

Spencer was the show

Mission Bell and Station Man were great live

next week Jeremy jumped ship
Old 12-16-2008, 10:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

"Cute album"? We want more than that. You know, Great, Good, OK, Bad. Don't cheat. No cutting corners!

JS was always a character on the stage. Great movements, like on Blue Suede Shoes.

The shows on that circuit were noted for the often fever-pitched "Where's Peter?" mantra. All the peeps got was Christine in his place! Some thought Jeremy was Peter, while others were ready to pull their hair out. I remember one guy cursing up a storm. Ha ha ha

It didn't help them doing next to none of the old Green stuff during that touring stint. Oh well.

TMATTYD was good once they got into it. Wasn't Purple Dancer in the set? I remember I'd Rather Go Blind clearly, Need Religion too. Most of its just a haze now. Like so much else.

Drunken greasers on east side, bikers and surfers on the west, most higher than kites wOOt

Old 12-16-2008, 10:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoot View Post
"Cute album"? We want more than that. You know, Great, Good, OK, Bad. Don't cheat. No cutting corners!

JS was always a character on the stage. Great movements, like on Blue Suede Shoes.

The shows on that circuit were noted for the often fever-pitched "Where's Peter?" mantra. All the peeps got was Christine in his place! Some thought Jeremy was Peter, while others were ready to pull their hair out. I remember one guy cursing up a storm. Ha ha ha

It didn't help them doing next to none of the old Green stuff during that touring stint. Oh well.

TMATTYD was good once they got into it. Wasn't Purple Dancer in the set? I remember I'd Rather Go Blind clearly, Need Religion too. Most of its just a haze now. Like so much else.

Drunken greasers on east side, bikers and surfers on the west, most higher than kites wOOt

That may be the coolest live shot I've ever seen!

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 12-16-2008, 10:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
That may be the coolest live shot I've ever seen!
At the Fillmore in SF
Old 12-17-2008, 01:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
At the Fillmore in SF
Wow snoot, that's a great picture! So that's the last concert with Spencer playing with FM. I've seen the pic of Spencer leaving the plane in L.A., which is officially the last picture of him before he joined CoG. You wouldn't happen to have any pics from the Peter Green portion of the tour? There is a lot of myth surrounding that part of the tour. I know there's a boot around with Green from that tour playing rhythm guitar on a standard Kiln House era set. What I want to know is if they really had shows that were just a Black Magic Woman jam. This is where supposedly Kirwan tried to brain Green with a beer bottle. I want the myth proved, or debunked.
Old 12-17-2008, 06:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default second hand news

I was not there at the Fillmore East. My childhood friend was. He claimed that after four or so songs where Peter just played second guitar, He stepped up and turned up the volume and did not stop playing for a few hours. As was the custom, people left at the end of the show as dawn broke. He claimed it was unbeliveably good. We were both at The Band Of Gypsies Concert so I gave him credence on this. The only existing bootleg is a distorted 20 minutes or so of jamming. I am sure it was recorded but is in someone's private stock like Eric Clapton's tour on Hitler's Train.

doodyhead

as I said. I did not see it but had to listen to the story for weeks
Old 12-17-2008, 08:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipkid View Post
Wow snoot, that's a great picture! So that's the last concert with Spencer playing with FM.
Actually it's from the summer of 1970, not long after Kiln House was recorded, and not the winter tour you're thinking of which came early in the following year. I recall a lot of new stuff was introduced, as much of it was unfamiliar to me -- I don't think the album had even made it to the stores shelves yet. Danny anchored everything nicely with his guitar, supplemented by Christy on the keyboards. Mick and John were rock solid as usual. Jeremy, as always, was the most dynamic on stage, plus the most comfortable in front of the mic. He could also turn to those familiar Elmore James and Elvis style ditties as augments. Outside of showcasing their new material, they also did a handful of blues numbers, some of which got pretty spirited. Jeremy, Danny & Christy as a front line really could put on a good show.

Jump forward a half year or so, with Peter back in the fold. My recollection - largely diminished now - was that it basically amounted to a lot of loose knit riffing based around new or familiar themes - some Kiln House stuff, I'd Rather Go Blind was still in there, an instrumental rip of Oh Well near the end IIRC, plus a few others now lost to me. Some psychedelic and blues numbers were thrown in for good measure. I suspect a portion of the jam material may have been tapped from the instrumental preps Green and Kirwan had been working on the previous year but never recorded. The really extended jamming I believe came later on during that tour. That was more a precursor of sorts to that first solo project PG cranked out later in the year. Danny was doing most of the lead stuff early on, Peter backing him as best he could on the KH material with which he was still unfamiliar. It was patch job, little more!

I don't believe any concert set was cast in stone though, not once Green replaced Spencer. Unfortunately I don't think things worked out so well as time went on. From what I gather, the band eventually got bored, basically just started going through the motions. There's no way they could have been happy with their situation in general, especially losing Jeremy like they did, or with Peter's return under those circumstances, to include all that endless, cosmic riffing. There was a lot of pointless meandering in those jams by that late date, I don't know what else to say, it was weird. Maybe it would have been more rewarding depending on how stoned you were!

Then again, maybe some nights it was better than others, depending on what went down. The touring leg involving PG lasted for almost 6 weeks. That's a lot of time for things to evolve - or devolve. By the time it was over Bob Welch was on the scene, just in time to kick off the European summer tour.

Last edited by snoot; 12-17-2008 at 09:00 AM..
Old 12-17-2008, 08:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodyhead View Post
I was not there at the Fillmore East. My childhood friend was. He claimed that after four or so songs where Peter just played second guitar, He stepped up and turned up the volume and did not stop playing for a few hours.
That pic is of the Fillmore West in SF in 1970, sans Green of course. The Fillmore East concert in NYC to which you refer occured early in '71, by which time Peter was back in the fold as a temp. That would have been fairly early on as a replacement to boot, not but a week or 10 days after Jeremy disappeared. Not sure what to say, but anything was possible, especially given Peter - and the band's - state at the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodyhead View Post
as I said. I did not see it but had to listen to the story for weeks
Can't tell if this was more pain, or pleasure!
Old 12-17-2008, 09:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
That was more a precursor of sorts to that first solo project PG cranked out later in the year.
I think End Of The Game was already out by the time the Kiln House tour began (with Jeremy). I have a boot from early on that tour that has a backstage interview with Mick, and he talks about Peter's album.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 12-17-2008, 09:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I think End Of The Game was already out by the time the Kiln House tour began (with Jeremy). I have a boot from early on that tour that has a backstage interview with Mick, and he talks about Peter's album.
Yes I think you've got something there, come to think of it. Correction: All that endless cosmic jamming would have been more in line with - call it a taste of, not precursor of - that solo project he just cranked out.

Thanks for keeping me straight on that.

Last edited by snoot; 12-17-2008 at 09:50 AM..
Old 12-17-2008, 10:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipkid View Post
I know there's a boot around with Green from that tour playing rhythm guitar on a standard Kiln House era set.
Is there by chance a copy or link of that anywhere around here? I would love to give that one a listen, for old time's sake if nothing else.

There is a lot of myth surrounding that part of the tour.

I think much of it is based on kernels of the truth, but no doubt distorted over time. Like so many other things. Keep in mind, that was a six week tour Green participated in, so all kinds of things could have occurred over its course. I don't think we'll ever know how much myth supersedes fact in the equation.

As for the possible extended Black Magic Woman jams, anything is possible, especially on any given night. There was definitely an extra emphasis placed on jamming towards the end of the tour. For all we know, Peter may well have gotten bored with the Kiln House stuff - or just wanted to emulate what he did on that solo project he recently completed. After all, that's where his heart was at that time. But my suspicion is that this may be blown up a little, if it points to an entire concert based on riffing around one ditty.

The biggest problem, when looking back and trying to reconstruct events, is everything gets so damn cloudy. And I wasn't even stoned at the time! [Liquored up a bit perhaps, but definitely not stoned!]
Old 12-17-2008, 11:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Bottoms Up is my favorite track. Green is having a conversation with his guitar.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default kiln house

I was referring to Fillmore East at end of PG temp tour of duty that Peter played into the night.

I did not visit the left coast until five years ago, nice place to visit

I did see Fleetwood Mac the last time they were in NY with Jeremy Spencer

as for Kiln House:
Kiln House

I bought this Album when it was first released in US. My first FM album was Then Play On, I wemt back and bought English Rose /dog and dustbin re release as well as a double bundled FM in Chicago. These were released by Mike Vernon to capitalize on the belated press that FM got justt as PG was bolting. I must admit that I was playing catchup as i bought Mayall with Clapton/ and A Hard Road on the same day in 1969. While seeing Clapton/ Page/ Beck/ Hendrix/ Lee/ Bloomfield/ BB King/ Albet King/ freddie King/ Simmonds/ H Mandell/ Garcia/ Winter/ Trower/ Sumlin/ Kreiger/ West(he was a brooklyn local) / Jourma/ Cippolina/ Betts/ Allman/.Stills/ Young/ Townsend/ Richard hompson/ Kalb/ Bishop/ Cropper/ Garcia/ Santana...(did I miss anyone) I had never seen Peter Green live except hearing him once while hanging out at the fillmore east stage entrance on 2/11/70 (for the Greatful Dead Show with Duane Dickey, Peter and Danny).
I thought at the time (just from listening to the madge sessions on then play on that they were a better 1- 2 punch than the allman/betts or garcia/ratdog, bloomfield/bishop, Quicksilver, savoy Brown,or the two from moby grape.

Sooo ...when Kiln House came out I knew that Green was gone but I thought that Danny had such a great tone out of his Goldtop that he could shine on his own. When I hear the Album I was unprepared for what it played like. I had heard Mission Bell on the radio, Hi Ho Silver and Buddy Holly was, well, Buddy Holley.

Nowhere on the previos FM recordings did old school (I am dating myself here) rock and roll appear.

This is the rock this one gets better with age. Spencer has impeccable timing
Station Man we hear in short bursts Dannys guitar tone, nice tune, not very edgy though
Blood On The Foor Spencer at his satirical best
Hi Ho Silver nice rocker good cover
Jewel Eyed Judy Pop here we go (this is for you snoot)
Buddys Song Jeremy got this down good
Earl Gray simmered in the pot too long, but fortells of Dragonfly to come( I also think Dragonfly is Danny's erie best
One Together space filler, nice song
Tell Me All The Things That You Do What I was expecting when I Bought the Album to begin with
Mission Bell Nice Cover, strange ending track

thirtyeight? years later the album stands up as a contiguous whole, is as an album higher on the list than many FM releases with better press
Old 12-17-2008, 01:54 PM
Junior Ledgie

Doodyhead:

Like you, my first album by FM was Then Play On. I had to work backwards as well as forwards to catch up. Ended up getting the double release called Black Magic Woman that was nothing more than their first two albums.

I remember, initially, being disappointed with Kiln House. However, after a friend told me that was his favorite FM album I listened closer and it realized it was just different, that is what was throwing me off. As soon as I let the album itself do the talking (instead of my expectations) it grew on me.

Love that album now. Still have my vinyl but have the cd as well.

For my money, the best song on the album is TMATTYD. Danny's riff is just captivating. I think my favorite Jeremy song is Blood on the Floor. By the time I was listening to this album I was into Poco and Pure Prairie League (and many other "hippie/country" bands) so I actually began to appreciate this song as a well written tongue-in-cheek country and western bit of satire. I think it is a great song.

I think what turned me off initially was the Buddy Hollyness of it and now I even get that.