Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-06-2014, 02:06 PM
Ledgie

Default Lindsey's Mindset

I was just wondering about LB’s touring ‘rhythm’…Now would usually be the time – after a big succe$$ful FM tour, for LB to be free to go more into solo, underground mode and enjoy the creative freedom he experiences during that time…but with the return of CM, he’s right back into the Mac with new CM songs and a new tour. Esp given his recent recognition/collabs with more cutting-edge artists (more like-minded ‘left side of the palette’ I guess you could say), I wonder if he’s working on Mac stuff enthusiastically, or with more of a sense of legacy/last tour, and just doing the work?? I mean, I guess he’s able to juggle both, as he has for years, but I was pondering his real mindset around now. Have any of his public comments alluded to his feelings about going back to the studio and tour w reunited FM?
Old 02-06-2014, 02:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by juniper View Post
I was just wondering about LB’s touring ‘rhythm’…Now would usually be the time – after a big succe$$ful FM tour, for LB to be free to go more into solo, underground mode and enjoy the creative freedom he experiences during that time…but with the return of CM, he’s right back into the Mac with new CM songs and a new tour. Esp given his recent recognition/collabs with more cutting-edge artists (more like-minded ‘left side of the palette’ I guess you could say), I wonder if he’s working on Mac stuff enthusiastically, or with more of a sense of legacy/last tour, and just doing the work?? I mean, I guess he’s able to juggle both, as he has for years, but I was pondering his real mindset around now. Have any of his public comments alluded to his feelings about going back to the studio and tour w reunited FM?
He has to re-assess because he wrote and recorded 8 new songs with the Fleetwood Mac popfeel in mind, just to push Stevie over to do another Mac-album. Now that Chris is back, Stevie will be in, and he'd automaticly feel that he has to conquer the mainstreamfeel of the other two, I guess. But he already wrote new, I presume not-so-edgy songs, with another mindset than he is in now.

To be in his head now must be pretty bouncy.

Old 02-06-2014, 03:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I recall an interview where he specifically said that what he wanted to do now was to go into the studio and record an album with FM, but that it would depend on getting everyone else on the same page for them to actually do it... Or something along those lines. It was before the news about CM came about. I'll try to find it.
Old 02-06-2014, 04:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHearted View Post
I recall an interview where he specifically said that what he wanted to do now was to go into the studio and record an album with FM, but that it would depend on getting everyone else on the same page for them to actually do it... Or something along those lines. It was before the news about CM came about. I'll try to find it.
Yes, this. Also he's mentioned the BN thing a lot over the past couple of years.. I think he would love to do that, but maybe he's figuring out by now that it's never going to happen.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHearted View Post
You're right, he said, "band politics aside" he'd like to do another FM album after the tour.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:35 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
You're right, he said, "band politics aside" he'd like to do another FM album after the tour.
If he wants to do an LP after the tour, is it likely we will see an EP this spring?
Old 02-06-2014, 06:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon View Post
If he wants to do an LP after the tour, is it likely we will see an EP this spring?
The tour he was talking about was the 2013 tour they were on at the time. This was before anything with CM/a new tour was being talked about.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by juniper View Post
great idea for discussion!

since practically the beginning of 2009 Unleashed tour he was giving out signals that he wanted to record an FM album really bad... and i think that colored what he was doing throughout a lot of the last 5 years:
  • 2009 - he was saying the whole tour that it's a prep for them going into studio after it's over.
  • 2010 - "i was hoping something else [FM album] was gonna happen, but [SN said no so] the time opened up and i filled it" with making SWS.
  • 2011 - he was putting out and touring SWS.
  • 2012 - back to FM album mindset, gathering Mick and John in his studio and recording 8 songs. SN said no to both album and tour. he put together OMS tour. at the end of the year he was telling fans during last legs of OMS that he's trying to put out 2 of the FM songs they recorded that year out for download before the FM tour in 2013, but there may be some "band politics" in the way.
  • 2013 - FM tour. they pushed out an EP. he seemed to be back in the mindset of wanting to put out new FM music.

but than there was Hesitation Marks. and OMS. and recent Grammy performance. and a few other things. and these all happened in 2012 or after. each one of these i would have to think whetted his appetite for something different, again. somewhere where he always wanted to go. left side of the palette. as primarily his fan (as opposed to primarily FM or fan of one of the other macsters), i think that's where he should go. unequivocally. he already made his mark and legacy with FM. it's time for him to finally explore that left side some more and make some of his marks there, that he's obviously very capable of doing.

now what's in his mindset regarding all that... no idea.

he's been however working with a pretty breakneck speed in the last few years. so maybe he can do all of it. what he will want to put more effort into, where he'll push more, is a question.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 02-06-2014, 08:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
He has to re-assess because he wrote and recorded 8 new songs with the Fleetwood Mac popfeel in mind, just to push Stevie over to do another Mac-album. Now that Chris is back, Stevie will be in, and he'd automatically feel that he has to conquer the mainstreamfeel of the other two, I guess. But he already wrote new, I presume not-so-edgy songs, with another mindset than he is in now.

To be in his head now must be pretty bouncy.
it occurred to me today that Sad Angel (maybe) and especially Miss Fantasy somehow remind me of Sleeping Around the Corner. cute pop song that i love having, but i'm also happy it's just an extra and not on the main Seeds We Sow album, because it's not as strong or fitting together as the material there.

regarding his public statements, he really gave just that one radio interview about Christine maybe coming back (before it was official and they were all skirting around it). he said something like her potentially coming back opens up a whole spectrum of possibilities that make him happy but he doesn't want to say anything more because he doesn't want to jinx it.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 02-06-2014, 08:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I do want him to work with other people, like the NIN collab that I (and others ) love so much. But I want MORE, not just a little guitar part on a couple of tracks. I guess I want a solo album, sounding more like "real" Lindsey singing (She Acts Like You) and less whispery, with awesome people on HIS songs. Like a LB song with bonus Trent Reznor, or Dave Grohl, or whoever.

As far as an FM album, I think it could be good if everyone steps up and brings their "A" game. Stevie needs to be a team player this time around. I thought the EP was good. I liked Sad Angel a lot, especially live.

I've been wondering though, with all the talk about producers, why hasn't anyone suggested who was used for the Sound City album? As far as I could tell, Chiffonheads liked You Can't Fix This. Stevie obviously loved her experience with the players/docu in general. The album in its entirety won a Grammy for Best Compliation Soundtrack for Visual Media, and Cut Me Some Slack won Best Rock Song. One of the mixers has already worked with Stevie, too. Not sure how that went though.

Eh. What do I know.
Just a dream, just a dream.

Last edited by HelloMonster; 02-06-2014 at 08:34 PM..
Old 02-06-2014, 08:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloMonster View Post
I do want him to work with other people, like the NIN collab that I (and others ) love so much. But I want MORE, not just a little guitar part on a couple of tracks. I guess I want a solo album, sounding more like "real" Lindsey singing (She Acts Like You) and less whispery, with awesome people on HIS songs. Like a LB song with bonus Trent Reznor, or Dave Grohl, or whoever.
true... when we were first trying to hear which songs he was on and which parts, i wanted much more. but he's got so much mileage of just 1 day of work, Trent talked about his amazing guitar skills at every opportunity, and invited him to perform at grammys with him (at least i assume that's what happened)... but yes i would like that to be just a first step.

i like the idea of his solo album with interesting collaborations a lot - although that's been done so much by everyone who wants to attract different audiences to their work. but depending on who collaborators would be and what they would contribute it could be very interesting and different from what all others are doing. but i still also like the idea of him collaborating and adding his embellishments to other people's projects, like with HM/NIN, just more.

Quote:
As far as an FM album, I think it could be good if everyone steps up and brings their A game. Stevie needs to be a team player this time around.I thought the EP was good, I liked Sad Angel a lot, especially live. I guess we'll just see if everyone brings their goods to the table!
true re Sad Angel, i love live version. it was one of the concert highlights for me the whole last year.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I've been wondering though, with all the talk about producers, why hasn't anyone suggested who was used for the Sound City album? As far as I could tell, Chiffonheads liked You Can't Fix This. Stevie obviously loved her experience with the players/docu in general. The album in its entirety won a Grammy for Best Compilation Soundtrack for Visual Media, and Cut Me Some Slack won Best Rock Song. One of the mixers has already worked with Stevie, too. Not sure how that went though.
it's kinda funny that Cut Me Some Slack won considering nobody really seemed to care for it. but i was happy to see Krist up there.

Butch Vig. i think he was the producer for most of the Sound City tracks.

Old 02-06-2014, 10:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Eh probably just because it was "Sirvana." I didn't care for it either, but I think it's cool who was in that little group. And yeah, they should use that guy!
Just a dream, just a dream.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

would LOVE to see him open up his solo albums a little more. we've gotten plenty of the "genius alone in the basement" recordings, and they've been great, but after multiple albums of this, it's time for something different. Maybe that's part of why I've always loved OOTC so much... he worked with Richard on it and it has a different feel to it. I would love for him to bring some new talent into his solo work-- not as glossy, publicity-generating stuff but real playing with others and feeding off their ideas.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
would LOVE to see him open up his solo albums a little more. we've gotten plenty of the "genius alone in the basement" recordings, and they've been great, but after multiple albums of this, it's time for something different. Maybe that's part of why I've always loved OOTC so much... he worked with Richard on it and it has a different feel to it. I would love for him to bring some new talent into his solo work-- not as glossy, publicity-generating stuff but real playing with others and feeding off their ideas.
I agree that when Lindsey works with others, his songs seem to be more accessible and less "edgy" or "artsy." However, with the Big Machine taking priority in 2014, my suspicion is that we won't see another solo album until 2015 from Lindsey. Recently, he has had a tendency to work on solo stuff in his hotel room while on tour with FM. Hence my thought we will see another "basement" Small Machine CD after that, without any outside collaborators.