Old 12-21-2018, 12:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default On BBC this evening

On BBC 4 TV this evening..21st... at 8pm

FLEETWOOD MAC : A musical history.
Don’t think this has aired before.
“Fellow musicians, journalists and fans celebrate the music of Fleetwood Mac
with a selection of their best loved songs”

Presumably they will play pre Rumours music but this was the obvious place to post.
Old 12-21-2018, 01:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for the reminder. I can't see this as having much more content than the Don't Stop documentary. It too is just 60 minutes. We'll see. Perhaps there'll be some recent interviews included.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 12-21-2018, 04:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Disappointing, but as expected. Peter Green-era for the first 10 minutes which featured Albatross and Oh Well. Skip straight to Say You Love Me. Then the expected songs up to TITN. Danny and Jeremy weren't mentioned. Bob Welch never existed. The post TITN bands never happened. Oddly ended with snippets of In My World and Secret Love.

All interspersed with a bunch of talking heads who think they know the history of the band but often presented misleading alternative facts. Impressed to hear Toyah Wilcox listens to Fleetwood Mac every day though.
'A Musical History: Fleetwood Mac'...not quite.
I'm convinced there's a brilliant Fleetwood Mac documentary out there somewhere. One day.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 12-21-2018, 04:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Disappointing, but as expected. Peter Green-era for the first 10 minutes which featured Albatross and Oh Well. Skip straight to Say You Love Me. Then the expected songs up to TITN. Danny and Jeremy weren't mentioned. Bob Welch never existed. The post TITN bands never happened. Oddly ended with snippets of In My World and Secret Love.

All interspersed with a bunch of talking heads who think they know the history of the band but often presented misleading alternative facts. Impressed to hear Toyah Wilcox listens to Fleetwood Mac every day though.
'A Musical History: Fleetwood Mac'...not quite.
I'm convinced there's a brilliant Fleetwood Mac documentary out there somewhere. One day.
Haven’t watched it yet...but I’ve noticed Toyah Wilcox crops up a lot on these documentaries of music, like rent an expert...

Last edited by sue; 12-21-2018 at 04:50 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-22-2018, 08:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Link to download for non-UK ledgies

https://mega.nz/#!Wl0w3QCR!szpZ1LBD7...vIVwN09aSEYdQw

http://stillgoinginsane.fleetwoodmac-uk.com
Still Going Insane - A Lindsey Buckingham Resource
Old 12-22-2018, 09:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks. I had to set up a MEGA account to download it, but was able to do so.
Old 12-22-2018, 04:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbBen View Post
Thanks. I had to set up a MEGA account to download it, but was able to do so.

Well I wouldn’t hold your breathe as FuzzyPlum says ,...nothing new in this documentary.
There’s a small bit about Peter Green and blues origins ...then mainly clips of them after Rumours, on The BBC.
Short bits about Christine and her “pop” writing prowess, small bits about Lindsey.....but lots about Stevie, lots and lots.
Old 12-22-2018, 07:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

What a thoroughly depressing programme this was. Lots of uninformed opinions, endless rehashing of inaccurate rumours, and an almost total airbrushing of Lindsey's contribution to the band's sound and success. A brief mention of his guitar playing (although they talked over all the guitar solos) and a dismissive reference to his apparent 'rock' sensibilities. But otherwise, the line was that Christine and Stevie are the true songwriting geniuses of the band. They played clips of Dreams, Sara and Gypsy, seemingly without any idea that it was Lindsey's genius that made those songs enduring and iconic. All those days and nights in the studio, arranging and producing, playing guitars at half-speed for nights on end... God, I wanted to throw my mince pie at the television!
Old 12-22-2018, 08:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The best FM documentary I've seen was one the BBC did years ago. I don't recall the name but I thought it did a really good job covering everything up to Lindsey's departure. I have yet to see one that sheds any light or insight from 1988-1995 which is a shame because regardless of what people think about the band or the success they had or didn't have, it's still an important part of Fleetwood Mac's legacy.
Old 12-22-2018, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tango87 View Post
What a thoroughly depressing programme this was. Lots of uninformed opinions, endless rehashing of inaccurate rumours, and an almost total airbrushing of Lindsey's contribution to the band's sound and success. A brief mention of his guitar playing (although they talked over all the guitar solos) and a dismissive reference to his apparent 'rock' sensibilities. But otherwise, the line was that Christine and Stevie are the true songwriting geniuses of the band. They played clips of Dreams, Sara and Gypsy, seemingly without any idea that it was Lindsey's genius that made those songs enduring and iconic. All those days and nights in the studio, arranging and producing, playing guitars at half-speed for nights on end... God, I wanted to throw my mince pie at the television!
Glad I didn't bother.
Old 12-22-2018, 09:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tango87 View Post
How about the lady who called "Albatross" a great piece of Americana? lol!

A documentary should not be a bunch of uniformed people with no connections to the band chatting about them, interspersed with clips (ratio of talking heads to music clips is about 4/1). A lot of times, they even make inane comments over the clips so you can't even really enjoy those. "Guitars are such cool instruments!" Seriously?! BTW, why does one of them keep calling Christine "Christy"? Is she her close and personal friend?

Halfway through, I got a message that I would have to make an account to continue streaming. I decided to give it a pass.

Old 01-10-2019, 05:39 PM
Ledgie

Watching the doc now and was a bit surprised to hear one of the women say that the reason John wasn´t in the Tusk video was because he and Stevie had a falling out? I´ve always heard that he was out sailing... Just wondering if I´ve missed something here or what??
Old 01-10-2019, 06:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This sounds like if Ed Wood made a Fleetwood Mac documentary.

THE Stephen Hopkins