Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-17-2009, 12:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Fleetwood Mac & The Eagles Eying Joint Summer Stadium Tour
By: Howie Edelson

Promoters are pitching a joint Fleetwood Mac/Eagles Sumner tour of stadium and arenas to venue operators and promoters across the U.S., according to livedaily.com. The site reports that "the double bill is being considered for a combination of single nights in baseball and football stadiums and multiple nights in arenas." No dates have been announced, but industry insiders are suggesting that the show will undoubtedly pack stadiums of up to 70,000 at every venue the tour plays. So far there's been no word as to when an announcement will be made.

Throughout their '70s heyday, the groups'kept up a friendly rivalry while vying for the top spot as California's hottest rock band. Fleetwood Mac and the Eagles have only played on the same bill twice -- on July 25th, 1976, in Foxboro, Massachusetts at Schaefer Stadium; and on January 12th, 1998 when both bands performed at New York;'s Waldorf Astoria for their respective inductions into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Don Henley and Stevie Nicks were romantically linked back in the late '70s, and scored a 1981 Top Ten hit with their duet "Leather And Lace." The pair went on to tour with each other in 2005. Henley shed some light on his deep friendship with Nicks: "We go back a long way. We don't see very much of each other these days. I mean, she's got her life and I've got mine, and there's certainly nothing going on here on a romantic level. But we're friends. We feel like we've been through a lot of the same things in our careers."

Nicks was asked how, after so many years as a working unit, Fleetwood Mac is able to still deliver at the top of their game with each new road trek: "It stays fresh because we never stop playing. Y'know, basically what we are is entertainers. Even if this band had never made it big, we'd be playing all the clubs, we'd be playing all the clubs in Europe, we'd be still doing that because what we really are is entertainers. So when we go onstage -- we're performers. We're performance artists, that's what we do. So it isn't a question of keeping it fresh because it's what we love. We don't basically have anything else to do."

Fleetwood Mac performs tonight (December 16th) in Boondall, Australia.

The Eagles will play their first-ever shows at L.A.'s Hollywood Bowl on March 16th, 17th, and 20th.

http://www.kbsradio.ca/news/music/87/1039216
70,000?? what, are they gonna play at the georgia dome?? no way both of these groups are gonna sell 70,000 seats.......only the Beatles could do that....
Old 12-17-2009, 12:40 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeannieKartis View Post
70,000?? what, are they gonna play at the georgia dome?? no way both of these groups are gonna sell 70,000 seats.......only the Beatles could do that....
Atlanta would be Turner Field, with a capacity of about 35,000.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

heinz field here in pittsburgh holds over 65,000 people but for concerts i think its closer to 55,000 or so.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeA View Post
Atlanta would be Turner Field, with a capacity of about 35,000.
well according to the following quote from the article they're talking capacity of 70,00 and thats the georgia dome...they won't fill 35,000 either...

"No dates have been announced, but industry insiders are suggesting that the show will undoubtedly pack stadiums of up to 70,000 at every venue the tour plays"
Old 12-17-2009, 02:59 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeannieKartis View Post
well according to the following quote from the article they're talking capacity of 70,00 and thats the georgia dome...they won't fill 35,000 either...

"No dates have been announced, but industry insiders are suggesting that the show will undoubtedly pack stadiums of up to 70,000 at every venue the tour plays"
They may very well play venues with 70,000 plus seats, but since they wouldn't be touring with a stage anywhere close to resembling U2's revolutionary current 360-degree setup, the actual seating capacity on the manifest will be dramatically lower.
Old 12-17-2009, 03:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
They may very well play venues with 70,000 plus seats, but since they wouldn't be touring with a stage anywhere close to resembling U2's revolutionary current 360-degree setup, the actual seating capacity on the manifest will be dramatically lower.
How would they workout the equipment logistics? I.E getting Fleetwood Mac's stuff off the stage for the Eagles show or vise versa?
Old 12-17-2009, 03:22 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMn View Post
How would they workout the equipment logistics? I.E getting Fleetwood Mac's stuff off the stage for the Eagles show or vise versa?
They'll surely use the same lighting/backdrop/etc... but as far as the equipment, I'm sure they will also try to make that as interchangeable as possible (even though Mick/Don clearly will have different kits, etc.). There will need to be an intermission (if only to give the boomers a rest & an opportunity to buy more beer & overpriced merchandise ), but I imagine that the break between sets would be no more than 45 minutes. They'll work on getting the switchover down to a science- quite frankly, they have no other choice.
Old 12-17-2009, 03:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

If they do an encore together - which would only make sense, because if they have no shared encore, the first band would be perceived as simply "opening" - then I was wondering what songs they could do. Here are some that came to mind:

Eagles songs

Take It Easy - a natural for an encore, the Eagles have arranged this for multiple singers before (check out Take It Easy with Linda Ronstadt and Jackson Browne)

Heartache Tonight - they all could harmonize on the verses, Glenn Frey on lead vocal otherwise. Its fun, party feel would be great for the gang all hanging out on stage together.

Take It to the Limit - my fave Eagles song with Stevie and Lindsey on it - oh my gosh! Alternating verses with Glenn Frey and Lindsey. It's not as if Glenn originated the vocal anyway, so it's up for grabs to share, I say!

Life in the Fast Lane - applies to the Mac too certainly! Alternating leads on verses between Don Henley and Stevie. Joe Walsh and Lindsey could share lead guitar parts.

Witchy Woman - what a hoot to have Stevie dancing around as Don and Lindsey trade vocals about the woman who will "rock you in the nighttime 'til your skin turns red." It would be too cool (yeah, I know it's not ORIGINALLY about Stevie but it would be tons of fun to apply it to her). Heck, maybe Joe Walsh could even do a verse. He can relate, too...

Seven Bridges Road - for those unfamiliar with this song, it's straight-up multiple harmony throughout. It would be magnificent. Check it out here.

Fleetwood Mac songs

Don't Stop - Instead of Stevie and Lindsey sharing the lead, it could be shared with Lindsey and perhaps Glenn Frey. I'd love to hear the Eagles and Fleetwood Mac all singing "oooooh.... don't you look back..." Joe and Lindsey could share lead guitar duties.

Say You Love Me - Lindsey has already re-arranged this song to be a song that features multiple harmonies and alternating leads. Just throw the Eagles into the mix! Stevie, Lindsey, and Don Henley could each do a verse.

Farmer's Daughter - I don't really like this song, but the layered harmony leads throughout would work. They haven't done it since 1980, though, so it would be a challenge.

Of course, they can throw in some covers and do whatever the heck they want, like Stevie did with Don during their encores for the Two Voices tour.

I think the possibilities are very exciting, and I will be very disappointed if they don't take advantage of the opportunity to perform at least a couple songs together.

Old 12-17-2009, 04:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
If they do an encore together - which would only make sense, because if they have no shared encore, the first band would be perceived as simply "opening" - then I was wondering what songs they could do. Here are some that came to mind:

Eagles songs

Take It Easy - a natural for an encore, the Eagles have arranged this for multiple singers before (check out Take It Easy with Linda Ronstadt and Jackson Browne)

Heartache Tonight - they all could harmonize on the verses, Glenn Frey on lead vocal otherwise. Its fun, party feel would be great for the gang all hanging out on stage together.

Take It to the Limit - my fave Eagles song with Stevie and Lindsey on it - oh my gosh! Alternating verses with Glenn Frey and Lindsey. It's not as if Glenn originated the vocal anyway, so it's up for grabs to share, I say!

Life in the Fast Lane - applies to the Mac too certainly! Alternating leads on verses between Don Henley and Stevie. Joe Walsh and Lindsey could share lead guitar parts.

Witchy Woman - what a hoot to have Stevie dancing around as Don and Lindsey trade vocals about the woman who will "rock you in the nighttime 'til your skin turns red." It would be too cool (yeah, I know it's not ORIGINALLY about Stevie but it would be tons of fun to apply it to her). Heck, maybe Joe Walsh could even do a verse. He can relate, too...

Seven Bridges Road - for those unfamiliar with this song, it's straight-up multiple harmony throughout. It would be magnificent. Check it out here.

Fleetwood Mac songs

Don't Stop - Instead of Stevie and Lindsey sharing the lead, it could be shared with Lindsey and perhaps Glenn Frey. I'd love to hear the Eagles and Fleetwood Mac all singing "oooooh.... don't you look back..." Joe and Lindsey could share lead guitar duties.

Say You Love Me - Lindsey has already re-arranged this song to be a song that features multiple harmonies and alternating leads. Just throw the Eagles into the mix! Stevie, Lindsey, and Don Henley could each do a verse.

Farmer's Daughter - I don't really like this song, but the layered harmony leads throughout would work. They haven't done it since 1980, though, so it would be a challenge.

Of course, they can throw in some covers and do whatever the heck they want, like Stevie did with Don during their encores for the Two Voices tour.

I think the possibilities are very exciting, and I will be very disappointed if they don't take advantage of the opportunity to perform at least a couple songs together.
I like your ideas Nancy! Very intriguing indeed!
Old 12-17-2009, 08:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Smile

If I am not mistaken they did perform Farmer's Daughter on the Dance Tour as the last song after Songbird.

Matt
Old 12-17-2009, 10:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
I'm almost thinking they'll have to do more then the encores together... They are really going to have to somehow blend so as not to make one feel or look like an opening act.... Plus, you'll have people there strictly to see FM and some only for the Eagles... To stop people from walking out after one has played, they are going to have to mesh together somehow to keep either audience interested... I think. That or flip flop opening spots to satisfy either side.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:13 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan View Post
I'm almost thinking they'll have to do more then the encores together... They are really going to have to somehow blend so as not to make one feel or look like an opening act.... Plus, you'll have people there strictly to see FM and some only for the Eagles... To stop people from walking out after one has played, they are going to have to mesh together somehow to keep either audience interested... I think. That or flip flop opening spots to satisfy either side.
Yes- they'll most definitely address this in the press release if/when they do announce the tour in order to assuage fans of both groups. It can't just be a straight-up double bill.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yes- they'll most definitely address this in the press release if/when they do announce the tour in order to assuage fans of both groups. It can't just be a straight-up double bill.
If you look at the Journey/Heart/Cheap Trick shows, from two summers ago, while Cheap Trick was mostly looked at as an opening act(especially since it was still daylight for their set), BUT, Heart played a long, VERY IMPRESSIVE set. And while I guess they could technically be called an opener, I think everyone in the venue left, dragging their chins on the floor, after witnessing the POWER of that band. IMO, they were an opener, only by the time slot. They kicked major ass!

That said, I don't really know how FM can kick the Eagles ass. The Eagles have an 11 piece band, and most of the backup players sing, too! So really, Lindsey's playing is about the only thing that's "over the top". Then again, he's up against Joe Walsh, and the even more impressive Stuart(sp, he spells it funny, and I can't remember how) Smith.

So I don't see how FM CAN'T be seen as the opener. Yes, they are the soundtrack to my life, and a lifelong obsession, but I'm facing the facts. The Eagles are bigger, in every way.
Old 12-18-2009, 01:11 AM
Registered

IF this does happen... and something to this magnitude... My discernment would be willing to predict that Christine McVie would might come back for this "Special Tour"...???

Donnie Wayne ~
Old 12-18-2009, 03:27 AM
Senior Ledgie

Usually when two bands this popular, or egomaniacal tour together, they trade off who opens.......
So how many people would prefer to see Tom Petty instead of The Eagles on this bill?