The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-23-2017, 08:54 PM
Ledgie

My guess it was a fan made cd from mixed stollen, floating around at the time.
They didn't do cd singles at that time and the sound is too crisp compared to the cd at the time.
Old 08-23-2017, 09:09 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahafan02 View Post
Years and years ago I did a fan trade with someone...I sent him a couple of Stevie shows and he sent me a CD with two tracks on it labeled "The Nightmare (Single Mix)" and "The Nightmare (12" Dance Remix)". He told me Stevie wanted this as a third single but Modern changed her mind and "Has Anyone..." was released instead and these mixes went unreleased. The 12" Dance Remix is just a longer version (6:13) of the single mix but I lost the track ages ago when I lost an external drive due to dropping it (I lost the CD ages ago). I, luckily, kept a copy of the "Single Remix" (4:24) on a CDR and still have it. Does anyone know if this was an actual single remix or where does it come from?
https://soundcloud.com/jon-hank/the-nightmare-7-remix
Can we download this///If so how? Thanks, LOL
Old 08-24-2017, 06:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallfromgrace84 View Post
My guess it was a fan made cd from mixed stollen, floating around at the time.
They didn't do cd singles at that time and the sound is too crisp compared to the cd at the time.
I actually enhanced the sound with an audio program...the version on the CD I had sounded typical of the 80's CD's...although clearly this bootleg was made after at least Whole Lotta Trouble single was released.
Old 08-24-2017, 07:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I bought the 12 inch record when it was brand new in the stores. The Nightmare was always my favorite song on RAL and so I was especially thrilled with this new version. I must have played it a billion times for myself and all of my friend's. Did u guys know that Chris Nicks is listed as one of the writers?

I always found it odd when other fans say they lost this or any other record over the years. I carried my collection across the USA twice and never lost a thing from my music collection. But that is because I never loaned things out without getting them back and always took real good care of the storage of everything.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

There were tons of mixes done for RAL. These all came from the master reels. Modern certainly had The Nightmare in mind to be a single, but I think it worked out better that HAEWAFY was chosen instead.
Old 08-24-2017, 04:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyNote View Post
There were tons of mixes done for RAL. These all came from the master reels. Modern certainly had The Nightmare in mind to be a single, but I think it worked out better that HAEWAFY was chosen instead.
I don't know if it technically worked out better. HAEWAFY, which is a beautiful song, was a commercial failure especially with no video. I don't know if Nightmare would have made a better choice but it's all dust in the wind anyway. Nightmare is one of the songs that fans either love or hate it. I personally love it although I prefer the remix (a/k/a Alternate Version 1) over the LP version.
Old 08-24-2017, 05:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I don't know if it technically worked out better. HAEWAFY, which is a beautiful song, was a commercial failure especially with no video. I don't know if Nightmare would have made a better choice but it's all dust in the wind anyway. Nightmare is one of the songs that fans either love or hate it. I personally love it although I prefer the remix (a/k/a Alternate Version 1) over the LP version.
Worked out better for Stevie in the sense that it's a single she's still willing to perform today in concert.

Well, I wouldn't say it was a "commercial failure." The context is important here. Being the third single, it just wasn't being promoted as heavily as the first two songs. No. 60 isn't bad for a song without a video during the MTV age.
Old 08-25-2017, 12:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Well, I wouldn't say it was a "commercial failure." The context is important here. Being the third single, it just wasn't being promoted as heavily as the first two songs. No. 60 isn't bad for a song without a video during the MTV age.
I thought HAEWAFY cracked the top 40 (barely)? I just checked and Wikipedia says no. 60 too. Hmmm....I wonder if it would have charted higher with a video?
*Ricoh*
Old 08-25-2017, 06:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricohv View Post
I thought HAEWAFY cracked the top 40 (barely)? I just checked and Wikipedia says no. 60 too. Hmmm....I wonder if it would have charted higher with a video?
*Ricoh*
Who knows, but it couldn't have hurt. Stevie's never been about the single, so I think she would have gone along with whatever was suggested.
Old 08-27-2017, 06:00 PM
Senior Ledgie

I LOVE this song, especially the extended 12" version. I wish that version would appear officially on cd someday.

Thank you for sharing this "single remix"! I'm not sure it's officially but it's great!
Old 08-28-2017, 07:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Who knows, but it couldn't have hurt. Stevie's never been about the single, so I think she would have gone along with whatever was suggested.
Wasn't she on tour when the single HAEWAFY came out? Maybe there wasn't time to make a video.
Old 09-01-2017, 11:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Wasn't The Nightmare a B-side? If so, then the remix could have been done for the single version that was to be released as the B-side much like All The Beautiful Worlds was intended to be. I agree however that HAEWAFY would have fared better with a video. Actually, I think it should have been the second single - people seemed to like momentum changes and differences sonically to the ears not to mention patterns that were already successful for Stevie at the time. Stop Draggin' - mid tempo. Leather and Lace - Ballad. Edge of 17 - rocker. Talk To Me - mid tempo. Has Anyone - Ballad. I Can't Wait - rocker. However, I would have led with Sister Honey as the rock/with a pop bent as lead and made Talk To Me the fourth single. And with that momentum, followed up with If I Were You, No Spoken Word, Some Become Strangers, and Imperial Hotel (which was a single in Australia). If all went well, I'd add The Nightmare too. Bottom line, if promoted correctly and all with killer videos, That album with all it's 80's synth could have been the mega hit for her during that time. The only truly non-radio songs I hear are I Sing For The Things and the title track even though I personally love the songs.

Last edited by StevieNicksfann; 09-01-2017 at 11:44 AM..
Old 09-06-2017, 03:46 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Years and years ago I did a fan trade with someone...I sent him a couple of Stevie shows and he sent me a CD with two tracks on it labeled "The Nightmare (Single Mix)" and "The Nightmare (12" Dance Remix)". He told me Stevie wanted this as a third single but Modern changed her mind and "Has Anyone..." was released instead and these mixes went unreleased. The 12" Dance Remix is just a longer version (6:13) of the single mix but I lost the track ages ago when I lost an external drive due to dropping it (I lost the CD ages ago). I, luckily, kept a copy of the "Single Remix" (4:24) on a CDR and still have it. Does anyone know if this was an actual single remix or where does it come from?
https://soundcloud.com/jon-hank/the-nightmare-7-remix
thanks for sharing dude! Cool version.
I wonder how many more CD promos are out there to discover? I found one that no-one knew about for a track on TISL about 2 years ago. They are out there!
Old 09-06-2017, 01:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubylounge View Post
Can we download this///If so how? Thanks, LOL

I don't know where to upload it at.
Old 09-09-2017, 05:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Sorry, I don't know anything about why this mix was made, BUT I do know that several years ago on here, someone posted the original tracklist for what became Crystal Visions. It was more of a "deep cuts" album initially than a greatest hits package but Stevie pulled it and changed her mind. It had "The Nightmare" (single edit) included.