User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-07-2019, 10:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendaze5 View Post
I don't remember if it was the 1st or 2nd leg of this tour, but it interestingly began with 'In the Back of My Mind'.

The was a huge curtain in front of the stage, and song began playing with the weird sound effects and all, as it is on the album. Then as the band got into place onstage, the curtain was suddenly and dramatically lifted, and they started singing, "Well I try and I try... you can't forget her...'
I recall this being one of my favorite moments of the show. It worked better at the Jones Beach show I saw, first N America leg the tour- maybe because it was an amphitheater. When I saw the Madison Square Garden stop, months later, second leg, it didn't work quite as well. I think because I had already seen it, or maybe because the venue was configured different and the sound wasn't as good. Anyway, I recall at Jones Beach the crowd going wild when the curtain rolled up revealing the band playing. Lindsey-less, I'd say a large number of the crowd were Chiffonheads, ecstatic to see Stevie.
Old 05-07-2019, 03:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by petep9000 View Post
I recall this being one of my favorite moments of the show. It worked better at the Jones Beach show I saw, first N America leg the tour- maybe because it was an amphitheater. When I saw the Madison Square Garden stop, months later, second leg, it didn't work quite as well. I think because I had already seen it, or maybe because the venue was configured different and the sound wasn't as good. Anyway, I recall at Jones Beach the crowd going wild when the curtain rolled up revealing the band playing. Lindsey-less, I'd say a large number of the crowd were Chiffonheads, ecstatic to see Stevie.
Those were the days before the internet. The fun and excitement of not knowing what songs were in the set. I remembered being floored that they opened with the song and how the masks and curtain came up was really something.
Old 05-08-2019, 03:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Since people are mentioning the Behind the Mask tour, there were a few fans who SWEAR Stevie sang Affairs of the Heart in Australia on the opening night. I always prayed we would find a recording.
Old 05-08-2019, 04:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceLover View Post
Since people are mentioning the Behind the Mask tour, there were a few fans who SWEAR Stevie sang Affairs of the Heart in Australia on the opening night. I always prayed we would find a recording.
I never heard that before but its very possible. The BTM tour started in Australia and I never have seen any footage or set list. It was a new song and I bet they were testing songs out. They started in Australia because the band made Australia a priority since they had to cancel the 1987/88 tour there because Stevie was ill.
Old 05-14-2019, 11:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
the band made Australia a priority since they had to cancel the 1987/88 tour there because Stevie was ill.
Epstein-Barr? Klonopin? Ruptured breast implants? Broken ankle? Asthma? Pneumonia? Drinking? Our girl is a frail little flower...
Old 05-14-2019, 02:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Bruce Horsby came on the radio at work the other day and it hit me. He does not really sing but talks through the song with only barely singing a few words.
I read someone flaming Stevie for her almost speaking through Juliet and Two Kinds of Love. I think maybe Bruce's style wore off on Stevie more than I originally thought.
I never cared for Bruce. He plays a great piano but his songs were just too cheezy and filled with moral stories. Not a great singer either. Piano bar on a cruise ship maybe. But he was HUGE in 1988.
Old 05-14-2019, 03:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by petep9000 View Post
Epstein-Barr? Klonopin? Ruptured breast implants? Broken ankle? Asthma? Pneumonia? Drinking? Our girl is a frail little flower...
You forgot how she needed to breathe steam backstage during Mac shows. She really took care of herself
Old 05-14-2019, 03:18 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
"Affairs of the Heart" has been one of my favorites from Behind the Mask. I do not know if it was released as a single.
Old 05-14-2019, 04:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I read someone flaming Stevie for her almost speaking through Juliet and Two Kinds of Love.
She talk-sang through a lot of songs on that album. "I Still Miss Someone (Blue Eyes)" is one of my less-disliked songs on the album because she pretty much sings it through.
Old 05-14-2019, 08:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Bruce Horsby came on the radio at work the other day and it hit me. He does not really sing but talks through the song with only barely singing a few words.
I read someone flaming Stevie for her almost speaking through Juliet and Two Kinds of Love. I think maybe Bruce's style wore off on Stevie more than I originally thought.
I never cared for Bruce. He plays a great piano but his songs were just too cheezy and filled with moral stories. Not a great singer either. Piano bar on a cruise ship maybe. But he was HUGE in 1988.
exactly why she would have worked with him. Her typical latch onto whoever is big in the moment and try and get some of that association with the youngest, hippest performer of the moment-- forget whether they are good or just a flash in the pan,
Old 05-14-2019, 09:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

So according to the NicksFix, TOSOTM was released on May 11, 1989, which was a Thursday. Was it really released on a Thursday?? I know albums used to be released on Mondays, then it changed to Tuesdays, and now it's Fridays unless you're Beyonce or Taylor Swift when you can release it any day you want Wikipedia says May 11, but they probably lifted that from NickFix.
Old 05-15-2019, 06:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
exactly why she would have worked with him. Her typical latch onto whoever is big in the moment and try and get some of that association with the youngest, hippest performer of the moment-- forget whether they are good or just a flash in the pan,
Well I think she gravitated to people and music she liked just like with the Heartbreakers. She stated she fell in love with Kenny G while on the Shake the Cage tour. His songbird when to #1 that year. She probably loved Bruce's piano playing too. I am sometimes fascinated at Stevie's keen pop culture references during her career especially during the wild days. It shows she watched MTV and listened to the radio. During her 1985 pre-RAL interview she talks about Cindi Lauper flying over the audience in a garbage can which showed she watched a lot of MTV. During one of her Wild Heart tours after the first song she exclaimed "They'rrrrrre here" which was a pop culture reference in the early 80s from Poltergeist. I sometimes would think her lifestyle of up all night partying and sleeping during the day that she was not very into pop culture. For example, in 1990 Joe Walsh was on Rockline and a caller asked him to talk about the Kentucky Fried Chicken incident. Whoever the caller was heard this urban legend and wanted Joe to explain. Joe stated that in the mid-80s he and Stevie were at a party for the world premiere of a Prince video. The TV had a Kentucky Fried Chicken commercial on and Stevie thought it was the video. Joe described it was the commercial where the cub scouts come marching into KFC with big buckets of chicken. When Stevie was told it was not the video, she and the rest of the group could not stop laughing the entire night. I mean how messed up in the head do you have to be to mistake a KFC commercial for a Prince video. So I am always amazed when her knowledge of pop culture comes through.
However, I do get what you are stating. Her people thought she had jumped the shark and brought in 1990's biggest acts: Bon Jovi and Poison who wrote songs for her. Stevie did not pick those artists but I do believe she picked Kenny G and Bruce Hornsby.
Old 05-15-2019, 06:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Her people thought she had jumped the shark and brought in 1990's biggest acts: Bon Jovi and Poison who wrote songs for her. Stevie did not pick those artists but I do believe she picked Kenny G and Bruce Hornsby.
Let's not forget Jesse Camp with whom Stevie sang on 'My Little Saviour' in 1999.

I wonder how that came about.
Old 05-15-2019, 03:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
There was another fan story going around that year that Billy sang Rhiannon at one show—why? who knows.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 05-15-2019, 04:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
There was another fan story going around that year that Billy sang Rhiannon at one show—why? who knows.
And another one that the Mac opened their concert with Sara in NJ in 1990. No proof of that either.