User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-12-2017, 11:10 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWildHeart67 View Post
Certainly none of them have any hints of a duets type album.
It's a shame none of the first 3 songs prominently showcased their vocals blending together, and some splashy keyboards from Christine with some fabulous guitar from Lindsey.
I would swear that Christine and Lindsey harmonize during the chorus of Feel About You -- which is my favorite portion of any of three songs. Am I wrong?
Old 05-12-2017, 11:10 AM

I agree about the mentality being childish but actually I really haven't truly seen it openly on this board, apart from a couple of instances in which people were possibly trolling Stevie fans.
Old 05-12-2017, 11:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB View Post
I would swear that Christine and Lindsey harmonize during the chorus of Feel About You -- which is my favorite portion of any of three songs. Am I wrong?
I also could hear Christine but I'm not so sure either.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 05-12-2017, 12:03 PM
Junior Ledgie

How could a song that has been (presumably) demo-ed, recorded, re-written, and re-recorded still be so undercooked lyrically? Each verse is only two lines long?!?!? And the instrumentation on "Sleeping" - just like the first two songs - is so spare and mannered and sterile it makes the odd percussion overdubs and samples stick out awkwardly even further. And just like the first two songs, the "middle eight" which begs for a guitar solo or something interesting musically to happen just lays there lazily. All that being said, the chorus - musically - is an earworm that I have not been able to shake yet.

It makes me sad that none of these three songs work for me. Lindsey is up there on my personal Mt. Rushmore of my favorite musicians but the songwriting, production, and guitar playing are each lacking in different ways on these tracks IMO.

As for what the phrase "Sleeping around the corner" means, I take it to mean something along the lines of "I'm just around the corner. When you want/need me, you know where to find me."
Old 05-12-2017, 12:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

When your name is something like "Tambourineshawlcokebutt"...I think it's safe to assume you are a Stevie fan weighing in and hoping it fails.
Old 05-12-2017, 12:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamIsOver View Post

As for what the phrase "Sleeping around the corner" means, I take it to mean something along the lines of "I'm just around the corner. When you want/need me, you know where to find me."
I agree. But why sleeping??! He old and taking naps now?

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 05-12-2017, 12:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

my shallow theory was always that this was about Christine needing to sort out her visa or green card or whatever immigration papers. back in 2011 when we first heard the song, i thought of Christine because
1) the song sounded so Christine-like
2) he pronounces the words like English person would (ie "round" the corner), and uses english phrases such as "give you a frown" - so it must be about someone English.

almost like she's waiting for him to sort out her papers. does not make much sense, but there it is anyway. and once i heard she liked the song and it's coming back, plus that she really did "burn her bridges" and had her green card expire and is having to redo it all now, it kinda brought all those thoughts back.

why sleeping - basically "i'm staying here around the corner waiting for you".

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 05-12-2017, 12:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

in the course of the day yesterday i had to contain a full-out brawl in my LB facebook group where 2 hardcore Lindsey fans got into an ugly name calling wordfight arguing whether these new songs are the greatest thing since the sliced bread or embarassing underuse of Lindsey's tremendous talent.

goes to show you how passionate people are about their music. while i hated the ugliness and personal attacks the argument evolved in (both guys are highly knowledgeable guitarists / musicians, but with obviously very different musical tastes!) and had to delete bunch of posts, it's great that we all have this beautiful distraction in our lives!

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 05-12-2017, 01:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
my shallow theory was always that this was about Christine needing to sort out her visa or green card or whatever immigration papers. back in 2011 when we first heard the song, i thought of Christine because
1) the song sounded so Christine-like
2) he pronounces the words like English person would (ie "round" the corner), and uses english phrases such as "give you a frown" - so it must be about someone English.
Interesting that you hear "English." I hear a lot of "Lawd" and "I's" which strike me as American or Caribbean colloquialism.

Maybe it's a reference to Christine's infamous Halloween attire.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.

Last edited by TrueFaith77; 05-12-2017 at 02:24 PM..
Old 05-12-2017, 01:54 PM
Junior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
I agree. But why sleeping??! He old and taking naps now?
I take "sleeping" as in "wherever I lay my head is home" - so he is staying somewhere nearby.
Old 05-12-2017, 01:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I take "sleeping" as in "wherever I lay my head is home" - so he is staying somewhere nearby.
yup, except she is the one "sleeping 'round the corner" while he's putting some papers in order.

Old 05-12-2017, 02:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
How could a song that has been (presumably) demo-ed, recorded, re-written, and re-recorded still be so undercooked lyrically? Each verse is only two lines long?!?!? And the instrumentation on "Sleeping" - just like the first two songs - is so spare and mannered and sterile it makes the odd percussion overdubs and samples stick out awkwardly even further. And just like the first two songs, the "middle eight" which begs for a guitar solo or something interesting musically to happen just lays there lazily. All that being said, the chorus - musically - is an earworm that I have not been able to shake yet.

It makes me sad that none of these three songs work for me. Lindsey is up there on my personal Mt. Rushmore of my favorite musicians but the songwriting, production, and guitar playing are each lacking in different ways on these tracks IMO.

the short verses bother me too. he's appealing to the public's need for instant gratification. Can't wait another 20 seconds for the chorus to kick in. Gotta have it now. Whatever.

I remember it all...you just had to fall...
Old 05-12-2017, 02:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
Interesting that you hear "English." I hear a lot of "Lawd" and "I's" which strike me as American or Caribbean colloquialism.

Maybe it's a reference to Christine's infamous Halloween attire.
Now THAT should have been the cover of the album.

Old 05-12-2017, 02:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

In the comment section of the EW article about this song it's SO OBVIOUS that people from the Stevie board ran over there and bashed the song. LOL!
Old 05-12-2017, 02:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default #2 in Digital Music > Songs > Rock on amazon

just clicked on the twitter link for MP3 amazon and this is what it says -

Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #16 Paid in Songs (See Top 100 Paid in Songs)
#2 in Digital Music > Songs > Rock

https://www.amazon.com/Sleeping-Arou...squidoo0cf2-20

i think that's much better than IMW did in its 2nd day, but maybe i'm just blocking anything IMW related.