User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-06-2013, 11:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat View Post
There's a little writeup on the Buckingham Nicks album on the Waddy website in a new article:

http://www.waddywachtelinfo.com/WWIn...yJoeBosso.html

There's also stuff on Stevie's Bella Donna and a few other artists that might interest you here.
Thanks for the heads up!!

Here's the BN part:

“I was doing some dates with producer Keith Olsen. One day he said to me, ‘Waddy, I’m bringing this couple down from San Francisco. You gotta meet them, and you gotta play with them. They’re great singers, great songwriters. The guy’s a really good guitar player, but he needs to play with someone like you.’

“That was Keith’s intention, bringing me into it. I met Stevie and Lindsey, we dug each other, and we went off and did the record. Moving to LA was a bit of a shock to them. Lindsey saw me as a compassionate person, and we got along. He was a great fingerpicker – he still is, he’s an amazing fingerpicker! – and me being a flatpicker, we had a lot to teach each other and a lot to learn from each other.

“I would say that, at the time, Lindsey needed to learn how to let somebody else be there with him. In Keith Olsen’s mind, I was the right guy for that because I knew about the give and take. I wouldn’t overstep the perimeter, so to speak.”
Old 09-10-2013, 06:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The second single from the Buckingham Nicks album was the song that was recorded first and is the opening track, "Crying in the Night".

The single was released in February of 1974 and the "B" side was "Without a Leg to Stand On".
It was released again in June of 1976 after the duo joined Fleetwood Mac and their popularity soared.
The "B" side on the second release was the beautiful instrumental by Lindsey titled, "Stephanie".

Here are two versions of "Stephanie", the original from the album and a recent version performed on Lindsey's tour in 2012,
the first time a Buckingham Nicks song had been performed live since "Don't Let Me Down Again" in 2004 on the Say You Will Fleetwood Mac tour.

Last edited by CADreaming; 09-11-2013 at 05:49 PM.. Reason: Corrected the information regarding "B" side of single.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Lost Gems: “Crying in the Night” by Buckingham Nicks
by Jim Pace

Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks have always been that good looking couple from high school who we all thought would be together forever, but never made it past senior year. We always root for that couple. If they can make it, then maybe we can hold on to some of our unrealistic, romantic dreams a little while longer.

They first met at a party where Stevie saw Lindsey sitting alone, playing “California Dreaming.” She thought he was “beautiful,” so she walked over and sang the harmony, which impressed Lindsey. Soon after, her family moved to Chicago and they would not see each other for two years when they met up in college, and Lindsey asked Stevie to join his band, Fritz.

Fritz was a popular local band that would go on to open for Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, CCR and Chicago, but they couldn’t secure a record deal. Frustrated, Lindsey and Stevie quit the band in 1971 and forged ahead as a duo.

Lindsey used his inheritance to buy an Ampeg 4-track tape machine; they locked themselves in a small office space at a coffee plant where his father worked, and recorded all night, every night for about a year.

They recorded seven songs and headed to Los Angeles to score a record deal. They were turned down by every record company in town except for Polydor Records, who eventually signed the duo in 1973.

Keith Olsen, who was Curt Boettcher’s whiz kid engineer and collaborator, was brought in to produce the album. He showed up with a gaggle of session players, including legendary drummer Jim Keltner, Waddy Wachtel on guitar and Elvis Presley’s famed TCB band. But make no mistake, the album is dominated by Lindsey Buckingham‘s unique guitar sounds and the duo’s strong vocals. They were seasoned pros by the time they recorded their debut record and it shows.

What makes Buckingham Nicks special, however, are the songs. ”Crying in The Night,” which has Stevie already warning Lindsey about the dangers of other women, could have been the lead track on the album Fleetwood Mac. Buckingham’s “Without a Leg to Stand On” would have felt right at home on Rumours, while “Don’t Let Me Down Again,” is a long time Fleetwood Mac concert staple. Nicks’ “Crystal” packs a bigger wallop here than it does on the Mac version, and “Races Are Run” is Stevie’s first kiss-off song, a mean little middle finger to her old Fritz bandmates. This album could have been titled Rumours, the Prequel.

The critics loved the record, but the early sales figures were poor and Polydor dropped the duo. Within weeks they were living in Richard Dashut’s house; Stevie began cleaning Keith Olsen’s apartment and waitressing to make ends meet, whereas Lindsey raised some cash, touring with Don Everly. Meanwhile, they began recording a second Buckingham Nicks album. The songs included such Fleetwood Mac hits as “Rhiannon,” “Monday Morning,” and “Landslide.”

Fate stepped in when Mick Fleetwood stepped into Sound City Studios, looking for a place to record the next Fleetwood Mac album. He was also looking for a new guitar player to replace Bob Welch. Olsen played Fleetwood a copy of the Buckingham Nicks’ track ”Frozen Love” to demonstrate the studio’s and his capabilities. Fleetwood loved the guitar work and offered Buckingham the gig but had no interest in Nicks (good call, Mick).

Buckingham told him they were a package deal. After talking it over with John and Christine McVie, they agreed to let them both join. They rehearsed for a month, recorded the Fleetwood Mac album in three months and went on the road. By the end of 1975 they were superstars.

Before the venom, the affairs and the mountains of cocaine, there was Buckingham Nicks. Their sole record has never been released in any digital format; it’s a “classic” album we’re not sick of yet, like your old high school sweetheart, showing up after so many years, looking exactly the same, without the baggage, without thirty years of life’s bruises. Still fresh-faced, filled with hope, dreams of the future, before everyone went their own way.

And you had nothing but time.

Read more: http://www.riffraf.net/2012/06/lost-...#ixzz2ed1umT5y

"Without a Leg to Stand On"

Old 09-11-2013, 11:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Alabama Appreciation

Nice details about the Alabama / Buckingham Nicks connection, with only a couple of errors. (TUSK-a-loos-a?? )

Buckingham Nicks

Buckingham Nicks was a California-based music duo made up of guitarist Lindsey Buckingham and vocalist Stevie Nicks. Their sole 1973 album earned little airplay, except on Birmingham's WJLN-FM, which aired "progressive/underground rock" in the evening hours.

The duo played three times in Birmingham. They opened for Mountain and Poco on their first two visits and cultivated a secure fan base in the area. Meanwhile, Keith Olsen, owner of Sound City studio in Los Angeles, played "Frozen Love" to Mick Fleetwood to demonstrate the qualities of the recording studio. When Bob Welch left the band, Fleetwood inquired about bringing Buckingham on board as his replacement. Buckingham refused to leave Nicks behind, and they accepted the invitation on December 31, 1974. In an interview, Nicks said of accepting Fleetwood's offer: "We could join Fleetwood Mac or we could move to Birmingham, Alabama."

Just days later, Birmingham promoters contacted Buckingham Nicks agent and invited the pair back to Alabama to headline shows at Boutwell Auditorium on January 28 and Tuscaloosa on January 29. Buckingham recalled that "We went to Birmingham and discovered we'd sold out an auditorium. Just blew our minds because we were totally unknown in L.A., couldn't get a gig at a club or anywhere, and here were six thousand people out there going nuts!." He told Rolling Stone that the shows allowed the band, with Gary "Hoppy" Hodges on drums and Tom Moncrieff on bass, to go out "in style".

Buckingham's 1979 composition, "Tusk" (ostensibly shorthand for "Tuscaloosa") was recorded in Dodger Stadium with the University of Southern California's marching band. It is performed by the University of Alabama's Million Dollar Band at Alabama Crimson Tide football games in Bryant-Denny Stadium.

The Buckingham Nicks album was aired in its entirety as one of the first full-album features on WZRR-FM "Rock 99" in 1989.

http://www.bhamwiki.com/w/Buckingham_Nicks
Old 09-16-2013, 12:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
Nice details about the Alabama / Buckingham Nicks connection, with only a couple of errors. (TUSK-a-loos-a?? )

Buckingham's 1979 composition, "Tusk" (ostensibly shorthand for "Tuscaloosa")...
Tusk for Tuskcaloosa! Yeah, okay, sure whatever!

Any idea if this album will ever be remastered/released officially and all that stuff?

Old 09-16-2013, 12:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacShadowsBall View Post
Any idea if this album will ever be remastered/released officially and all that stuff?
Here's a thread for that discussion: http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=52292
Old 10-24-2013, 08:12 AM
Junior Ledgie

Default buckingham nicks release

I've read a couple of things that say Buckingham/Nicks is going to be released on CD and swear Lindsey and Stevie both said that'll happen. When though? Or will it ever?
Old 10-28-2013, 07:37 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by staceface View Post
I've read a couple of things that say Buckingham/Nicks is going to be released on CD and swear Lindsey and Stevie both said that'll happen. When though? Or will it ever?
I'd take that with a pinch of salt. They've been saying that for the last 12-15 years. Luckily I have a WAV download of Buckingham Nicks which is sourced from the master tapes (as opposed to a transfer from vinyl).
It's sound stunning!
Old 10-28-2013, 07:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Was this album released on cassette? I have no way of playing vinyl.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'msoAfraid95 View Post
Was this album released on cassette? I have no way of playing vinyl.
Yes, it was.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 10-28-2013, 09:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Yes, it was.
Crap. It's out of stock on Amazon.

Anybody know of any other trustworthy sites in the states that might have a cassette copy? That's not gonna cost a ton of money. (over $40)
Old 10-28-2013, 10:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Crap. It's out of stock on Amazon.

Anybody know of any other trustworthy sites in the states that might have a cassette copy? That's not gonna cost a ton of money. (over $40)
I have a cassette copy (I think...may have sold it), but it sounds a lot worse than what's out on the net. Point being don't waste your money on 30+ year old cassette if you're only buying it for listening.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 10-28-2013, 10:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
I have a cassette copy (I think...may have sold it), but it sounds a lot worse than what's out on the net. Point being don't waste your money on 30+ year old cassette if you're only buying it for listening.
Guess I'll stick to youtube then.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Guess I'll stick to youtube then.
Or you could own this "Rare Promo Copy" of a limited edition of this Buckingham/Nicks CD..."This is an original factory pressed silver CD and comes with case and all inserts" For the Low Low price of only $88.00 (US) on ebay...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Buckingham-N...item58a4de635d
Old 10-28-2013, 11:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDenimLamp View Post
Or you could own this "Rare Promo Copy" of a limited edition of this Buckingham/Nicks CD..."This is an original factory pressed silver CD and comes with case and all inserts" For the Low Low price of only $88.00 (US) on ebay...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Buckingham-N...item58a4de635d
um they can keep it.
I don't care how "rare" it is.

Bad enough that my usual site is selling the Penguin album for the very affordable price of $50.
No import just the album itself.

I recently came into some extra money and I want to expand my cassette and cd collection.