Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-15-2003, 08:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Peacekeeper

I like this song. Definitely has some of those TITN touches on it. I do hear Kodachrome on it too. Good job Lindsey. I can't wait to hear the Fleetwood Mac touch ups on it. Would definintely pick this song over "Thrown Down" as a single release.....especiallly given the state of the world these days.

Joe
Old 01-15-2003, 10:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Great song

This song is so good! One of the things I like about is that, while he uses some unusual techniques, they aren't so noticeable that they draw attention to themselves. Instead, they just augment the overall sound. I think that's where a lot of people dabbling with "experimentation" go wrong - the quirkiness stands out so much that it detracts the focus from the overall song. Not the case here. I love this song!

Old 01-15-2003, 10:45 PM
Ledgie

Thumbs up

"Peacekeeper" is an example of what I was talking about when I started a thread last week entitled "Thrown Down...not that great". Peacekeeper sounds terrific! It's the quality I would expect from FM. The only thing I would like to hear in the song is Stevie singing background.
Old 01-15-2003, 10:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The song is going to be one of the best on the album, in my opinion. I posted my thoughts in detail over in the LB forum.

A VERY B I G thanks to sararhiannon.com

Old 01-16-2003, 12:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Heart LOVE IT!!

I haven't heard Thrown Down, so I can't say which I like better, but knowing me, I'm gonna say I like Peacekeeper better because TD was never a fave demo of mine...but I'm curious to hear Lindsey's contributions to the song, FER SURE!! I'm gonna wait tho...

Now, onto Peacekeeper...this song ROX, I love it, it's on loop...hehe. I am seriously loving the country/rock/pop combo and Lindsey's vocals are strong and that 2:32 guitar part KILLS ME..it's so 1980's!!! LOVE IT!!!! I love the last line too..."take no prisoners, only kill...." WOAH...chilling....NICE JOB LINDSEY...he never fails to impress me...

I cannot wait to hear this song with Mick's drums and John's bass...and I wonder how Stevie will factor in...on the chorus, or will she sing something during the "laugh" effect between the chorus and 2nd verse....hmm....
Old 01-16-2003, 09:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

XHector....You can use Virginal...I don't think I have a copyright on the term...

What makes people so sure that Mick, John, and Stevie will turn up on this song or some of the other Lindsey Stuff we have heard? Yes Mick played drums on numerous tracks and John some bass. However, to assume that every track you have heard will be reworked with contributions from the other 3 may be wrong. Numerous songs labled as Fleetwood Mac have not had contributions from all the members. Lindsey has talked about playing bass parts on Tango in the Night using a Fairlight Synth, and Stevie's vocals are missing from many Lindsey tunes on Tango. Some of the percussion and drum sounds on that album are synth produced as well. It is well documented that some songs on Tusk were Lindsey all by myself.

My point to all of the above. Don't assume that every Lindsey tune you have heard has been reworked to include all of the band members. There is much in Fleetwood Mac's history that says that may not be the case.

I think a lot of last 18 months was spent with the band producing Stevie's songs not redoing nearly complete Lindsey songs.

With all that said, I am sure some of the Lindsey tunes we have heard will have been changed and maybe even a sprinkling on the album of songs never before heard!!

Last edited by John Run; 01-16-2003 at 10:23 AM..
Old 01-16-2003, 12:42 PM
thewhitewingedd
This message has been deleted by thewhitewingedd.
Old 01-16-2003, 01:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: LOVE IT!!

Quote:
Originally posted by wondergirl9847
I haven't heard Thrown Down, so I can't say which I like better,
Same here.

I really love Peacekeeper, but it reminds me of 80s music.
I'd love to see Peacekeeper released as a single.
Old 01-16-2003, 02:52 PM
Senior Ledgie

This song is absolutely fantastic!!!!! I love it!!!!

The chorus does remind me of Kodachrome..... and it also reminds me of "Sleepwalker" by The Wallflowers.
Old 01-16-2003, 03:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Guys, this is the hit!!=:-)

I just got Peacemaker- man it grabs me the way the Tusk songs did-this is the one that should be the single-it's awesome!!!!
Old 01-17-2003, 09:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The chorus melody sounds very familiar. It had to be inspired by something else, and I am thinking of a song though I can't quite put my finger on it.

Carnevaca: I know what you mean and I can't think of the song either=:-)

Has anybody else noticed this?
Old 01-17-2003, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Vianna
The chorus melody sounds very familiar. It had to be inspired by something else, and I am thinking of a song though I can't quite put my finger on it.

Carnevaca: I know what you mean and I can't think of the song either=:-)

Has anybody else noticed this?
Vianna, it's "Kodachrome" by Paul Simon. The chord structure is different but the melody is very similar.
Old 01-17-2003, 10:50 AM
joe

i finally downloaded "Peacekeeper" last night. I really like it. I think it's a strong song musically. Lyrically, when i read it, i wasn't blown away at all but i don't expect that from Lindsey. I've never regarded him as a great writer which is ok cause it's not why he's here. He's a great guitarist and arranger and my first guitar teacher...i love his finger picking style and always have. you don't hear a lot of that in rock and roll.

To me, the only apparent thing that this song needs is a new rhythm section. I think the drumming is a bit middle of the road and would like to hear Mick rework it. However, i'm not expecting much as Mick's drumming has sort of lost some edge over the years. Another thing to add would be to add Stevie's vocals somewhere in the mix.

I don't think this should be the first single. I think maybe something a tad more upbeat should be the first single...this song is a little too dark. i love it but i just don't see it being released as a first single.

I also think that "Peacekeeper" has given "Thrown Down" a sort of boost. I know we aren't 100% sure what songs are even going to be on the album but after i played "Peacekeeper" i played "Thrown Down" and i liked the combination of the two.
That's why it's easier to like a song when you've heard the entire album. All the songs influence one another.
Old 01-17-2003, 12:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Lightbulb The sound is quite "mainstream"...

...and I don't know if I like that about it. I love the lyrics (REALLY, REALLY love the lyrics), the melody, that little hook that seems to be lifted right from GOS, and Lindsey's harmonies. I would be curious to hear Stevie's harmonies in there if this is going to be a Mac song (I'd love to hear Christine in there too but that's just wishful thinking).
I bet this will be a single and I'm sure it will be a hit. It's more mainstream than Lindsey's other stuff, and when Lindsey does something mainstream (a la GYOW) he (or the Mac as it were) sells a billion records and gains a lot more attention because his sound suddenly appeals to masses of people. I actually prefer Lindsey's less mainstream stuff, and I'm especially digging the GOS demos. Peackeeper, while a strong song in its own right, lacks a trademark guitar solo or wide use of vocal range.
I just hope that this is the sound of the song that Lindsey intended it to have, and is not the result of someone telling him to tone it down and make something marketable...a single. If this is as he intended it, then I will totally embrace it, because I know Lindsey could easily create something mainstream sounding if he wanted to.

Now, I've heard the demo of Thrown Down from TISL sessions, but from what I'm reading here I gather there is a more produced version of it out there? If so, where can I get it ? Thanks.
-Sonia
"So I close my eyes softly... till I become that part of the wind that we all long for sometimes. And to those that I love like a ghost through a fog, like a charmed hour and a haunted song, and the angel... of my dreams"

"All alone we suffer. Oh, to steal your heart away."

Last edited by ERigby818; 01-17-2003 at 12:54 PM..
Old 01-17-2003, 01:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well Lindsey sounds great, I'll give him that.

I liked all the guitar parts.

The lyrics were weak, peacekeeper kill? I don't get it.

But I loved the line " love is a sweet surprise", sooo some of the lyrics were nice.

I didn't like that little twittle at the end of each line, that high thing...I think that should be changed...

You know the song will only get better ---but as it is its still a good song...Im just being critical because I heard it once. Anything Lindsey does I usually love.
Old 01-17-2003, 01:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Janet
The lyrics were weak, peacekeeper kill? I don't get it.
I think the lyrics are very strong: mysterious & fascinating & sort of prophetic. Lindsey is a genuine poet, imo, not as accomplished as Dylan or Jones or Costello or some others, but to find an analogy, one really has to reach beyond the medium: he uses language the way the American composer John Adams uses notes. Elliptical yet recursive, Lindsey's lyrics bristle with strange cries & dronelike movement.

Stevie's lyric art is more a narrative art (maybe there's a parallel to the director D.W. Griffith). At her best, she elevates the sentimental & the direct. What I miss in Stevie, however, is a celebratory sense of the playful side of language. She rarely uses language self-referentially. She doesn't typically take a wry look at things because she is in the grip of some powerful (possibly self-generated) response to another person or an event. Maybe that's what I miss in Lindsey's lyric-writing.

Stevie is moral innocence & spiritual awakening.