Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-15-2003, 05:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Don't like Thrown Down? Try PEACEKEEPER!

It's available now at sararhiannon (thanks to jwys_sopabox who made the link in a Lindsey forum thread earlier). I have been blown away. Lindsey has honestly tread some sort of brave new territory of song structure, and the sound itself is just brilliant, coupled of course with those evocative lyrics we all fell for.

P E A C E K E E P E R!!! We love you Lindsey!!! You champ!
Old 01-15-2003, 05:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default WHERE IS EVERYBODY?!??!

I have to talk about this lol!!

Well first big thing is the drum track - kick and snare anyway - is that even Mick - it sounds like electrical stuff. Yet it rocks. Perhaps it won't go down well with tradition FM fans - in fact I wonder is it even FM as opposed to solo Lindsey??!?! I personally don't have a problem with that being FM, but I was wondering if other did. Hopefully not. Cause whatever these drums are, they work!! (BTW I guess the FM drums kick in on the first chorus now that I listen to it)

The other big thing is the funny synthesized vocal hook in the middle of the lines of the chorus seemingly lifted from Gift of Screws itself. Yet again it pays dividends in this song.

Just the structure itself is so new for something from lindsey, in regards to the absence of 'breaks' - there seem to be less musical pauses where you would usually wait for the bar to play out before the next lyric kicks in, But here it just changes into lyrics ASAP. So good! Yet so new for Lindsey, it's as though he's worked this one through with someone??! Up until now, others will agree with me, Lindsey tends not to break a great deal of musical (in the theory/structual sense) ground. This is more like the ingenuitive beats of Radiohead.

And the vocals themselves - wow! They are just so well worked out, in terms of harmony and timing!

Now I can see why this is called the Peacekeeper album - I can see Lindsey singing it stadiums now!

IMHO this is GYOW quality. I saw that with paricularly the catchy beat, chord sturcture and vocals in mind.

On a different 'note', that spine-tingling chord/vocal melody change at 15 secs where he says 'Fire we've made' ... it's so good that I'm worried it rings a bell. Anyone with a broader musical knowledge think it's in another song?
Old 01-15-2003, 05:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Just another thought!

President Clinton sure put Don't Stop to good use ... But the chances of George Dubya using Peacekeeper? lol! Funny contrast.
I guess now that Chrisitne and her positivity shuffles are out of the way, Lindsey can get some revenge on the political scene with, again, Fleetwood Mac's music!
Old 01-15-2003, 06:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default I'm here.....

I actually replied to your other post on the Lindsey thread, about this song...it's really good! More of a GOS thing though I would have thought, but hey, if he can do an FM version, I'm sure it'll be just as good, maybe even better!
Old 01-15-2003, 07:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Hey Mich - thanks for post-Peacekeeper support!

OK so Mich reckons this could be Lindsey solo contra what will be on the album, and Carne, in a Lindsey Board thread mentions a suggestion in the Peacekeeper Lyrics thread on this Board that this is not the cut that will make the album. Yet I can't find what you've referred to? Where does it say this??

Because, frankly, I will become vomitously sick if this track is changed by a single note. Let alone overproduced into the Berlin wall of sound that is Thrown Down. Anyway, this has the same sort of sound as the production and mixing mentality in Thrown Down, so I don't see how it's not part of new album.

Old 01-15-2003, 07:33 AM

Talking

Downloading NOW
Old 01-15-2003, 08:08 AM

Its very very upbeat and catchy, not sure on the lyrics a little weak

I prefer 'Thrown down' at the minute

Though Ive listened that some 100 times more
Old 01-15-2003, 08:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Pretty cool...I like it...I am not sure more or less than Thrown Down..but it is catchy...and gotta love that guitar playing

"I walk on stage, I'm very strong, I'm still pretty cute and I rock." -Stevie Nicks
Old 01-15-2003, 09:10 AM

On first listen, I would say this is a truly special song. Strong chorus. Interesting bridge. Eerie verses. God bless'm, that man can write a song!
Old 01-15-2003, 09:20 AM

One more note: The chorus melody sounds very familiar. It had to be inspired by something else, and I am thinking of a song though I can't quite put my finger on it.

Again, the use of the arpeggiated rhythm is a stroke of brilliance. Love the sound of that guitar. I wonder which one he's using.

DownOnRodeo, Lindsey spent a lot of time listening to Radiohead and Bach while he was recording GOS songs. The influence of both is evident in a lot of the songs.

Lastly, Seteca, did you figure out the chords yet? I can't wait to play this.
Old 01-15-2003, 09:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Sorry I just realised the title tothe thread was a bit zany and could be perceived as some sort of challenge - I didnt mean it to set up a comparison between this and Thrown Down!!!! I just came upwith the title in light of all the Thrown Down lyrics debacle, and I guess didnt really think it through! Meanwhile such comparisons are obviously warranted!
Old 01-15-2003, 09:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Carne -

In what source did Lindsey say he was listenening to those artists?? Very interesting.

And as for the ( I assume guitar) chords, well if all you want is things like 'Em' I can do that for you, but maybe its not what you want.

In fact the chords are the usual variety - it's his vocal melody (esp around the 15 secs point) and the, as you said, arpeggiated gtr part playing the same E E D E part that counterpoints this song to perfection.

Bass chord-wise it's:

Em____(up octave)C_____ (back down 8ve) D
"We make............same.............................fire.."

etc

CHORUS

Em_____C_______D_________G____F#m_Em
"Peac.....Take.......Time.. .......Dark...of....Night

C______D ______...B
"..Suns...Rise

Hope this is what youre after. I was sure banging away and playing along soon enough (but on the copout synth!!) Good luck

Last edited by DownOnRodeo; 01-15-2003 at 09:48 AM..
Old 01-15-2003, 09:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by iamstevienicks
Its very very upbeat and catchy, not sure on the lyrics a little weak

I prefer 'Thrown down' at the minute

Though Ive listened that some 100 times more
If you think the lyrics are a bit weak or disjointed, have you thought of the chorus like this..

'Dont be afraid to fight
Love is the sweet surprise'

It could sound like two contradictory sentences, hence platitudinal tripe, but as soon as you grab the metaphor of 'fight for love and peace', and how Lindsey is grappling with the paradox that there must be wars for peace etc, it becomes not two disjointed thoughts but a single idea.

Once I thought of it like that it all made sense. Hope it helps!
Old 01-15-2003, 09:46 AM

Rodeo, that will do me just fine. Thanks for sharing

By the way I just remembered what song this brings to mind: "Kodachrome" by Paul Simon. I can't remember what the chords are there, but the chorus melody is very similar.

And I agree with your interpretation of the lyrics. I think you're dead on. This would be a great anchor for the album. I vote for "Peacekeeper" as the album name. In these senseless warmongering times, it would make a huge statement.
Old 01-15-2003, 09:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Hey Carne thanks for the agreeance on interpretation - at least I didnt pull it out of that crazy part of my brain like usual this time!

I had to edit the chords post twice to get it all aligned properly due to stupid v-bulletin (and the fact I dont preview my posts!). It should be clear enough to make sense of now ( I hope)