Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-01-2014, 11:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default House painting

I'm in the process of painting my living room. 2 walls light "silverline grey" and 2 walls "pool party blue" (don't laugh ~ that's the actual name of the colors...they're the Valspar brand from Lowe's). The accent color to connect the other two colors is called "orange ice".

I'm on DAY FREAKING TWO of this project and I've only gotten the silverline grey on the walls. I really didn't think this would be so hardcore of a project. The upside is that I'm listening to the 24KG album back to front on my iPod the whole time and it's making this boring/time consuming task more enjoyable. I suspect day three will be the pool party blue application and day four will be orange ice. Then the decision has to be made as to whether or not to paint the door frames and baseboards.

What REALLY SUCKS is not only is it taking so long to do ONE ROOM, but there's the rest of the house that needs to get done as well!!!

Sorry. I don't really know why I started this thread! I guess I really just needed to b*tch about this project!!!
Old 10-02-2014, 07:24 AM
Registered

congratulations on your use of Colour! and post a picture when you're finished !

If you are going to do it do it right , you'll be happy in the end .... and you are not professional so take your time and relax it will all be fine and look GREAT!
Old 10-02-2014, 11:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I love painted rooms - but I've done it so many times over the years that I'm adverse to painting my new house. I have an older home, and the taping off of all the original wood trim takes more time that the actual painting!

However, that hasn't stopped me from choosing all the colors - various shades of watery blue, minty greens and soft greys.

Good luck with your project!
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 10-02-2014, 11:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
I have an older home, and the taping off of all the original wood trim takes more time that the actual painting!
Oh my God! You're not kidding! Taping is the worst!

Quote:
Originally Posted by olive View Post
If you are going to do it do it right!
Now I've got that Wham song stuck in my head! Thanks a lot!

And yeah, I'll post before and after pics when I'm done!
Old 10-02-2014, 03:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I got to do the front window which is the only wood window on the house .The rest are vinyl like the siding.

I just paint it white like it is already.

The prep always a pain in the rear.I got to scrape,putty,sand,caulk before the painting.

My dad was a pro house painter so I picked up the experience working with him years ago.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 10-02-2014, 08:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer999 View Post
I'm in the process of painting my living room. 2 walls light "silverline grey" and 2 walls "pool party blue" (don't laugh ~ that's the actual name of the colors...they're the Valspar brand from Lowe's). The accent color to connect the other two colors is called "orange ice".
This is great. I've just done some house painting in a couple rooms, but now I'm ready to do the main house. I don't have the color scheme yet, but I was thinking of light gray as the main color, so I'll check out silverline grey. I have no idea what to use for accents, so I might check out your colors for those too!
Old 10-03-2014, 01:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I got the "pool party blue" up on the walls and the ceiling tonight. That just leaves the accent color of "orange ice" for tomorrow night. It might even run over into Saturday night as well seeing as how the design for it is going to be EXTREMELY intricate and there will be A LOT of taping involved.

In fact, I do believe I will be spending MORE TIME taping up the design than I actually will be painting the "orange ice" inside of it. Boo.

New couch comes Saturday. New rug and brand new curtains on Sunday. If I'm not too tired, I'll post pics on Sunday night if anyone is interested.
Old 10-03-2014, 07:50 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer999 View Post
I got the "pool party blue" up on the walls and the ceiling tonight. That just leaves the accent color of "orange ice" for tomorrow night. It might even run over into Saturday night as well seeing as how the design for it is going to be EXTREMELY intricate and there will be A LOT of taping involved.

In fact, I do believe I will be spending MORE TIME taping up the design than I actually will be painting the "orange ice" inside of it. Boo.

New couch comes Saturday. New rug and brand new curtains on Sunday. If I'm not too tired, I'll post pics on Sunday night if anyone is interested.
please post a picture !
Old 10-04-2014, 03:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Crazy!!! It is almost 4am here in Nashville and I just got done with the orange ice design. I had obligations in the early evening so I didn't get to start taping the design until 10pm...and that took 3 and 1/2 hours!!!

...then 1:30am til 3:30 painting the damn thing!

Bedtime now! Goodnight...or good morning???
Old 10-04-2014, 06:31 AM
Registered

i can't wait to see the results!
Old 10-06-2014, 01:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Okie dokie! Here are some pics of the repainted and redecorated room. I still have several more pictures to put on the wall but wanted to snap some pics of the bare walls in order to show the colors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Living Room 1.jpg (25.0 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Living Room 2.jpg (26.6 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg Living Room 3.jpg (19.1 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Living Room 4.jpg (24.0 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Living Room 5.jpg (19.5 KB, 23 views)
Old 10-06-2014, 07:41 AM
Registered

Very Nice!
Old 06-04-2015, 10:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Resurrecting this thread (mostly for Olive's benefit) because I FINALLY got around to painting and redecorating my hallway.

My friends have dubbed it "The Other Side Of The Mirror" and suggested I post some pictures here on the Ledge.

I didn't go into the project with Stevie in mind, but I must admit I have been listening to a lot of that album lately, so perhaps subconsciously it informed my decorating decisions...

Anywho, here are some pictures. I hope you all enjoy them. The process of house painting really sucks but it's sooooooooo worth it in the end.

I'm currently working on repainting/redecorating my bathroom. The kitchen will follow after that and then my bedroom will be last. I'll post pics of all those as well if any of you are interested.

-Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hall1.jpg (41.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg hall2.jpg (31.5 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg hall3.jpg (31.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg hall4.jpg (28.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg hall5.jpg (35.9 KB, 14 views)
Old 06-04-2015, 10:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

...more pics...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hall6.jpg (38.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg hall7.jpg (37.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg hall8.jpg (40.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg hall9.jpg (38.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg hall10.jpg (40.5 KB, 11 views)
Old 06-04-2015, 10:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

...and one final photo...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hall11.jpg (38.0 KB, 8 views)