The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-17-2003, 09:27 AM

Default Presidential politics

Howart Kurtz, who doesn't do much for me usually (can you spell conflict of interest?) shows some real insght here:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2003Dec17.html

In essence, he says some of the Democratic nomination candidates are now pouncing on Dean even though, with the exception of Lieberman, they had been attacking Bush for Iraq. This is particularly the case with Kerry and Gephardt, neither of which will ever become president now matter how many times they change their weasly positions.

Truly, the best person for the job is Dennis Kucinich, but he ain't got a chance. So Dean it is for me.
Old 12-17-2003, 10:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Presidential politics

Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca
Howart Kurtz, who doesn't do much for me usually (can you spell conflict of interest?) shows some real insght here:

In essence, he says some of the Democratic nomination candidates are now pouncing on Dean even though, with the exception of Lieberman, they had been attacking Bush for Iraq. This is particularly the case with Kerry and Gephardt, neither of which will ever become president now matter how many times they change their weasly positions.

Truly, the best person for the job is Dennis Kucinich, but he ain't got a chance. So Dean it is for me.
all politicians change their positions

We shall see after the primaries in the next four or five months. But, I agree Dean certainly has the best shot of getting the nomination.

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 12-17-2003, 11:02 AM

The problem is these spineless idiots are now handing Bush fodder to attack Dean in the general election. Will these morons never learn? I mean, after all, it is unlikely Willie Horton would have become a big issue in the Dukakis/Bush campaign had Al Gore not brought it up during the nomination fight. And in typical Gore fashion, he of course didn't have his facts straight.

Idiots!
Old 12-17-2003, 11:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I love Kucinich, but he'll never make it. Never.

My dream would be Braun and Kerry as running mates, but I'm just a silly dreamer.

I can't even stand to look at Dean, but if it comes to down to him and Bush, of course I'm going to vote for Dean. Anything is better than Shrub. The Republicans are just salivating at the thought that Dean will get the nomination because they'll crucify him. Like we talked about before, chances are that they know what's in his sealed records and they'll use it against him. They'll use his flip-flopping on Iraq against him, they'll use the fact that he turned his state into a tax shelter for Enron and Ken Lay, and they'll use his history of changing his mind against him (for example, the death penalty). He doesn't stand a chance.

I'm really hoping that Braun continues to do tours of high schools so that she can try to get the teens (of age) to the polls. She's had great success so far and could get a lot of votes if she keeps it up.

Old 12-17-2003, 12:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Re: Presidential politics

Quote:

Dean changed his position on the war. I posted the article for you in The Reagans thread. I like Kucinich as well, who changed his stance on a woman's right to choose about a year ago.
I agreed with a lot of points in the article. I think the Republicans have already figured out what they're going to use against Dean. IMO, he's not the man for the job.

Last edited by gldstwmn; 12-17-2003 at 01:01 PM..
Old 12-17-2003, 01:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hey, Goldie--

Did you see last nights episode of Whoopi? The Arab (*ahem* Persian) handyman ripped into Bush.

"I want to tell you an Iranian fable...about a man named George Dubya Bush...

Once upon a time, Georgie took a rich country and he plunged it into debt...He couldn't even pronounce the word "terrorists." He called them tooooourists. And when Georgie couldn't find the weapons of mass destrustion, did he crawl under the covers in his cowboy pajamas and cry? NO! What did he do? He got up and...he put on a suit and...he faced the world like he knew what the HELL he was talking about!!!"

Last edited by dissention; 12-17-2003 at 01:59 PM..
Old 12-17-2003, 02:07 PM

Default Re: Re: Presidential politics

Quote:
Originally posted by gldstwmn
Dean changed his position on the war. I posted the article for you in The Reagans thread.
No way am I going to go through that monster of a thread. Do you have the link otherwise?
Old 12-17-2003, 02:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

No I missed Whoopi. Sounds great though. Shrub called Saddam a "raperum" (rapist?) in his speech after the capture.
Old 12-17-2003, 02:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by gldstwmn
No I missed Whoopi. Sounds great though. Shrub called Saddam a "raperum" (rapist?) in his speech after the capture.
I know, I taped it!

http://www.dubyaspeak.com is the BEST source for Bush-isms!

Old 12-17-2003, 02:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Re: Re: Re: Presidential politics

Quote:
No way am I going to go through that monster of a thread. Do you have the link otherwise?
Sorry, it was on the Kerry/O'Reilly thread:

From John Kerry's website:

Kerry rips Dean for `flip-flop' on Iraq

December 12, 2003

Boston Herald
by Andrew Miga

Manchester, NH -

Charging there are ``several Howard Deans,'' Sen. John F. Kerry yesterday tore into the high-flying Democratic presidential front-runner for flip-flopping on the Iraq war to score political points.

By ``It seems to me like he tried to have it both ways,'' said Kerry. ``If you don't have to vote, you can run around and say a lot of things.''

Kerry (D-Mass.) cited Dean's support last fall for a congressional resolution similar to the one Kerry and three of his rivals voted for, giving President Bush war authority.

Kerry charged that Dean, who tapped a deep well of anti-war sentiment among party liberals to propel his candidacy to the front of the Democratic pack, straddled and misled voters.

``Howard Dean exercised the exact same judgment that the rest of us exercised,'' Kerry said. ``I'm saying there are several Howard Deans.''

But Dean, campaigning in Concord, brushed off Kerry's criticism. ``The difference is, I came out very early against the war,'' said Dean.

Kerry cited Dean's support of an alternative resolution, co-authored by Sens. Joseph Biden (D-Del.) and Richard Lugar (R-Ind.), requiring Bush to win United Nations approval for enforcing weapons checks in Iraq before going to war.

Bush also would have had to report to Congress by sending a letter before waging war. Dean insisted the Biden-Lugar measure could have prevented the war in Iraq. He said the resolution would have forced Bush to engage in more diplomacy - and to prove his claims about Iraq's weapons of mass destruction.

``Had the president done that, we would not have gone to war, because then he would have been forced to certify with his word . . . all the claims he made that were not true,'' said Dean.

Kerry, who has made similar charges in the past, said he was taking fresh aim at Dean because Al Gore had cited the former Vermont governor's anti-war views as the prime reason for endorsing him.

``If Al Gore is endorsing the Howard Dean who made the judgment at the same time as the rest of us, then he is endorsing the wrong Howard Dean,'' Kerry charged.

U. S. Rep. Richard Gephardt (D-Mo.), meanwhile, fired a stinging shot at Bush for failing to honor America's fallen soldiers in Iraq.

``Bush found the time to go to 34 fund-raisers since the war,'' Gephardt told a crowd in Berlin, N. H., ``but has not found time to go to one funeral.''

GOP officials have said the president wants to keep politics out of memorial services, and expresses his sympathy privately.

Kerry, meanwhile, insisted he would not be deterred if he fails to win New Hampshire, which most party insiders consider as a must-win contest for him.

``I'm running a national campaign and I intend to take my campaign nationally,'' he said
Old 12-17-2003, 02:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Here are some FAB ones:

Today, the unemployment rate dropped, as you may know, from 6 percent to 5.9 percent.
-- At that rate we'll be at full employment in two months, Halethorpe, Maryland, Dec. 5, 2003

As we hunt down the terrorists, we're committed to spending -- spreading freedom in all parts of the world, including the Middle East.
-- I think he got it right prior to correcting himself, Washington, D.C., Oct. 1, 2003

By making the right choices, we can make the right choice for our future.
-- Flawless logic, Dallas, Texas, Jul. 18, 2003

I think war is a dangerous place.
-- Washington, D.C., May 7, 2003

If America goes to sleep, the rest of the world is in trouble. If we blink, the rest of the world will close their eyes. So we're not blinking, and we're not going to sleep.
-- To summarize, Blinking: bad, Sleeping: bad, Los Angeles, California, Apr. 29, 2002

I wanna remind you all that I -- in, in order -- what -- in order to fight and win the war it requires a expenditure of money -- uhh, uhh -- that is commiserate with keeping a promise to our troops to make sure that they're well paid, well trained, well equipped.
-- It's official... Dubya doesn't know he's still using the wrong word, and his advisers are afraid to tell him, Washington, D.C., Dec. 15, 2003

Our productivity is high. I hope some of it has to do -- I know some of it has to do, I hope you understand some of it has to do with the fact that the role of government can help create growth.
-- Nicely put, Halethorpe, Maryland, Dec. 5, 2003

AND THE BEST ONE IN A LONG WHILE...

See, when a person has more money in their pocket, they're likely to come to Home Depot.
-- I think someone had better check the corporate campaign contributions list, Halethorpe, Maryland, Dec. 5, 2003

Old 12-17-2003, 02:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

BTW, Carne, if you haven't already, watch Howard Dean in an un-soundbite forum like C-Span. It ain't pretty.
Old 12-17-2003, 02:18 PM

Dissention, I hate to tell you this, but Kerry ain't going to make it. Perhaps if he hadn't waffled so much, he might have had a chance. Besides, he's viewed as a Massachusets liberal, and we know how hard it has become to overcome that in presidential politics.

Dean wouldn't be my favorite, but I would pick him over Kerry without any soul-searching whatsoever. The reason Dean has picked up so much support is that he is perceived as a guy who says what he thinks. That's going to be very important in this election, considering the constant lying of the current administration.

Kerry should have had the courage to vote against the bill giving Bush carte blanche to do what he wanted in Iraq. Here's a decorated Vietnam Veteran who could have made a difference. The deaths of thousands in this needless war are on his head too.

See, I don't even understand his position. He's telling us Bush is wrong while voting for the war, then jumping on the bandwagon when Saddam is caught, which you agree is of little significance. But, wait, didn't he vote for that preposterous $87 billion package too? See why I'm confused about him?
Old 12-17-2003, 02:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Dissention, I hate to tell you this, but Kerry ain't going to make it. Perhaps if he hadn't waffled so much, he might have had a chance. Besides, he's viewed as a Massachusets liberal, and we know how hard it has become to overcome that in presidential politics.

Dean wouldn't be my favorite, but I would pick him over Kerry without any soul-searching whatsoever. The reason Dean has picked up so much support is that he is perceived as a guy who says what he thinks. That's going to be very important in this election, considering the constant lying of the current administration.

Kerry should have had the courage to vote against the bill giving Bush carte blanche to do what he wanted in Iraq. Here's a decorated Vietnam Veteran who could have made a difference. The deaths of thousands in this needless war are on his head too.

See, I don't even understand his position. He's telling us Bush is wrong while voting for the war, then jumping on the bandwagon when Saddam is caught, which you agree is of little significance. But, wait, didn't he vote for that preposterous $87 billion package too? See why I'm confused about him?
Kerry's never going to make it because he was to busy dragging his feet...but one can hope. He was stupid to vote for the war (and I ripped him on it when I spoke with him last summer) and I suspect that it is costing him voters.

I understand why you're confused (I am as well) but I agree with him on many of his issues and platforms, whereas I don't with Dean. I don't think Dean really says what he thinks, I think he says what us far-left liberals want to hear, while making a fool out of himself in the process.

Kerry f*cked it up for himself early on and I'm just hoping he does something to fix it (even though that won't happen!).

Old 12-17-2003, 02:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:

It's also his biggest liability. He shoots from the hip. It's more than a little scary.