Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-28-2012, 11:48 AM
Senior Ledgie

Default What would a follow up to Then Play On look like w/ Green

Hello, I'm new here although I've discovered much information on this board the past few years. I was wondering what anybody's take on a follow up to Then Play On with Peter Green would have looked like?

We know Sandy Mary was slated to be on it. Loving Kind perhaps, or Only You, both Kirwan numbers. Do you think Green Manalishi/World in Harmony would be included? I'm interested in anyone's take. Also, would have been cool to see those October Jams from the Vaudville Years turn into songs.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hi LesPaul7, and welcome to the board! It's a good question, and I believe it has been discussed here before. I don't have time this moment to search for the earlier discussion but I'm pretty sure it came up sometime in the past 2-3 years. I'll try to find it later today unless someone else locates it first.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm assuming you mean "STUDIO follow-up", since a double live album from the Boston Tea Party tapes was already on the list as "next album", but was canceled at the last minute. (What became the bootleg, Cerulean, was set to be the next release)

I think that the next studio album would probably have had a few of the same tunes that Kiln House eventually had, but might've sounded significantly different without the few contributions of Christine and with Peter's input...probably "Station Man", "Tell Me All The Things You Do", "This Is The Rock", "One Together" & "Earl Grey" (aka "Farewell").

Probably would've had "Dragonfly" (and even possibly "Purple Dancer")

Don't know about "Green Manalishi" or "World In Harmony", since they were already a single and in those days, singles were pretty much separate entities from album tracks...although they did redo Then Play On to include "Oh Well", so never mind.

Plus whatever Peter would've come up with at that point, as well...and, after "Green Manalishi" and hearing End Of The Game, who KNOWS what that would've been.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Here's the discussion I was thinking of:
Last Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac Album

As far as "Green Manalishi/World in Harmony" - I doubt those tracks would have been included on a follow-up album to Then Play On, since they'd already been released as a single. Back in those days, it was much more common to release singles separately from albums than it is now. For example, "Oh Well" was not on the original release of Then Play On, although it was included in later releases.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation

I agree with chilli & sharksfan and I recall something about Peter (?) saying that Sandy Mary would be the next single and since those weren't necessarily included on albums back then, we can't say for sure that woul've been on there. Having said that, chilli is right that Cerulean could've very well been the next album so they could've taken that live version for a single (my favorite version).

John
Old 06-29-2012, 08:40 AM
Senior Ledgie

Thanks for the info. On a side note, what do you feel like the best version of Homework is? I've heard the Chess Jam version, but I tend to prefer the live bootleg versions, although I don't think I've heard soundboard quality. Did they ever play it in the BBC sessions?
Old 06-29-2012, 12:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Don't know why, but I've always imagined that on the next album Peter would include a rework of one of his earlier blues tunes. For example Fast Talking Woman Blues / Drifting, or the wonderful guitar/fiddle live version of Leaving Town Blues from the Showbiz Blues 2CD. But we'll never know the answer...
Old 06-29-2012, 02:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesPaul7 View Post
Thanks for the info. On a side note, what do you feel like the best version of Homework is? I've heard the Chess Jam version, but I tend to prefer the live bootleg versions, although I don't think I've heard soundboard quality. Did they ever play it in the BBC sessions?
Can't speak for the boots (so maybe the others can chime in here on that) but between Chess & the solo RV/PG/Splinter etc. versions Chess is my fave.

John
Old 06-29-2012, 07:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The next album would have probably been great--and more of a breakthrough in the US than Kiln House ended up being.

However, in Green's absence, Jeremy and Danny were forced to pull together and shore up some of the front-line tough-guitar elements. I don't think Station Man would have been written had Green stayed on. Jeremy and Danny wouldn't have probably felt compelled to collaborate. Nor would Danny have probably released Tell Me All the Things You Do, which is one helluva' guitar jam. Jeremy's "Hi Ho Silver" might not have sounded as tough or rough, and Jewel Eyed Judy wouldn't have emerged, since Fleetwood and McVie would most likely not have felt the need to collaborate with Danny on it if Green were there to write and perform the lion share of the songs.

In short, Kiln House as we know it would not have existed. It--along with the White Album (1975)--is my favorite Mac record. I think it's more honest and authentic than the Stones' Exile on Main Street. It's one of Rock's unsung classics.

That said, I'm amazed Danny didn't record "Only You" in the studio.
Old 06-30-2012, 03:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think it's a fair chance that Jeremy would have left the band, before they'd recorded a new studio album. I'm thinking about the way he was an outsider during the "Then Play On" sessions, recording his own solo album.

If Jeremy had stayed, I'm guessing that the next album would have been a double LP, showing the different musical styles of the band reprecented in their live shows:
-Peter's ever progressing tastes of jam and latino.
-Peter's blues
-Danny's pop/country
-Jeremy's R'n'R/50s/Elmore and country
-Instrumentals

Last edited by dansven; 06-30-2012 at 04:42 PM..
Old 06-30-2012, 07:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Just wondering if "One Sided Love" by Danny would ever had made a studio recording and release. Same goes for "Wet Weather Blues" (which is aparently not on youtube anymore, glad I saved it on my computer).