User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-07-2006, 01:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Beethoven had no trouble whatsoever being original.
Of course if you can't hear anything, whatever you do is going to be original. I'm surprised that his stuff wasn't more dissonant!

Quote:
Knowledge -- whether it be scientific knowledge, musical knowledge or moral knowledge -- opens doors, not shuts them.
Oh, stop it...now you're just showing off.

Last edited by chiliD; 03-07-2006 at 01:03 PM..
Old 03-07-2006, 01:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I don't think this is true at all. The only people who say this (& they say this a lot, like Lindsey saying it about Javier Pacheco) are the people who don't happen to have a theory background or who don't read notation.
Well I guess I fit in here!

Quote:
I doubt that anyone with theory & reading ability has ever said anything like this, so that is an indication right there that the opinion is an extremely one-sided one. But it also just doesn't hold water when you look at the musicians & composers who do have such a background.
Well I said a mix was good. If you purely stick to theory you are playing within musical boundaries. How many guitarists out there have learned theory from a teacher and can play songs very well yet cannot improvise when needed. I'd like to know every guitar scale and chord but I don't have the time or patience to learn. I find stuff by accident at times which only gives me more passion to play. Being stuck in a learning environment is stuffy and clinical with no room for lateral movement. I'm sure you can tell I hated school and teachers that had no spiritual content.
Old 03-07-2006, 01:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
Of course if you can't hear anything, whatever you do is going to be original. I'm surprised that his stuff wasn't more dissonant!
Old 03-07-2006, 01:11 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by madformac
Music theory can give you great discipline and understanding but it also stops you from being original.
Echoing what David said, it most certainly does not stop you from being original. What stops learn-ed musicians from being original is their own discomfort with being original. Often times, the stuck up, proper, high society types that a lot of trained musicians are, are the type of people that don't like experimental music and aren't particularly interested in being unique. Broad generalization of course. Musicians with the non-conformist personalities tend to do music their own way and don't seek out teachers to tell them what to do. So the lack of originality comes long before learning to the music theory.
In fact, learning all the theory rules can give you many ideas on how to break the rules and do new things. I speak from experience.
Old 03-07-2006, 01:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester
Echoing what David said, it most certainly does not stop you from being original. What stops learn-ed musicians from being original is their own discomfort with being original. Often times, the stuck up, proper, high society types that a lot of trained musicians are, are the type of people that don't like experimental music and aren't particularly interested in being unique. Broad generalization of course. Musicians with the non-conformist personalities tend to do music their own way and don't seek out teachers to tell them what to do. So the lack of originality comes long before learning to the music theory.
In fact, learning all the theory rules can give you many ideas on how to break the rules and do new things. I speak from experience.
Very good point and post.
Old 03-07-2006, 01:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse
I think he needs to stop, stop, stop... analizing EVERYTHING to death... and being SO, SO interlectual, big word, big thoughts, intense discussions with whover will listen ---that he can sometimes come off as rather a borish man and rather a snob with too many words and not enough heart, to back it up...
He's a Libra, darling! Poor guy can't help it. They love to hear themselves. He strikes me as the type of person who talks at you and not with you.
Old 03-07-2006, 01:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by madformac
Well I said a mix was good. If you purely stick to theory you are playing within musical boundaries.
Yes but if you are completely bound by roles & historical precedent, you're just a boring composer/musician. That's not the fault of being trained to read notation -- that's your own fault.

If you play with no feeling, you can't blame the fact that you read notation. You have to just blame yourself, as I blame myself for not investing my playing with feeling or for not having developed my own style.

There are undoubtedly plenty of untrained musicians out there who play with even less feeling & individual style than I do!

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 03-07-2006, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind

I love that word
me too!
Old 03-07-2006, 02:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr
me too!
I use it and the C word all of the time

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 03-07-2006, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Eric Clapton
Rick Vito
Bob Welch
Mark Knopfler
Warren Haynes
Doyle Bramhall II
Keith Richards
Paul McCartney (yeah, he's known as a bass player, but he's an incredibly versatile guitarist, as well)
Larry Carlton
Lee Ritenour

I could go on...but it would be pointless...there's your examples.
dammit you forgot Pat Metheny.... must i keep reminding you!!
Old 03-07-2006, 02:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B
He's a Libra, darling! Poor guy can't help it. They love to hear themselves. He strikes me as the type of person who talks at you and not with you.
I'm a Libran too. It's all true, I won't deny it...
Old 03-07-2006, 02:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
There are undoubtedly plenty of untrained musicians out there who play with even less feeling & individual style than I do!
You mean shredders?
Old 03-07-2006, 02:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I am surprised that nobody has mentioned Richard Thompson, and amazingly versatile, skilled guitarist on electric and acoustic: he can play blues, jazz, British folk, classical, he can rock - hard- and he has some of that angry intensity that Lindsey has. http://www.richardthompson-music.com/audiodownloads.asp

Which, brings me to my possibly unpopular belief about Lindsey.
Quote:
Guitar World Acoustic March 1998
I would have much rather been in the Clash than Fleetwood Mac at that point.
I don't think he is a rebel avante-punk experimenter trapped in a dinosaur pop band. I think he was in the band he belonged in.

Quote:
Uncut Magazine
April 2004

UNCUT: What kind of impact did punk and post-punk have on you and the way you felt Fleetwood Mac’s music should be going?
BUCKINGHAM: Although punk had a fairly huge impact on me, its influence on Tusk wasn’t so much on the music but more that it gave me a little room to deprogram and reaffirm things - to retrieve my own style, which I had when I joined the band in ’74 but which I had then given up to the situation of the group’s collective femaleness. I was inspired by the honesty, integrity and sensibility of bands like The Clash and Gang Of Four
The Clash would never have wanted him. Punk never really allowed room for self-exploration, self-expression, yes, but navel-gazers in a mosh pit will get you crushed under a hundered stomping workboots.
I think he confused Punk with EST.

Last edited by ragandbone; 03-07-2006 at 02:48 PM.. Reason: added link
Old 03-07-2006, 02:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Eric Clapton
Rick Vito
Bob Welch
Mark Knopfler
Warren Haynes
Doyle Bramhall II
Keith Richards
Paul McCartney (yeah, he's known as a bass player, but he's an incredibly versatile guitarist, as well)
Larry Carlton
Lee Ritenour

I could go on...but it would be pointless...there's your examples.
Same old same old....

Not One of this list can hurt my soul like Lindsey does...or Kevn Kinney...or JJ Cale ( who has more feel in is pink than Clapton or Knopfler have in their entire body... although he loses it on every front skillwise or even tone from those two). But Hey, I can see it coming: Shackin'up, you don't know **** about guitarplaying-strong argument.

Old 03-07-2006, 02:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up
But Hey, I can see it coming: Shackin'up, you don't know **** about guitarplaying-strong argument.
You've spared me saying the words Gerald.