User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-17-2017, 12:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyNote View Post
Here's a link to pictures, videos and the Twitter feed.
Thank you for the videos. I just sat and watched them all from the comfort of my own living room.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Nice to hear that Lindsey is playing that beautiful high solo at the end of YMLF again - in recent years he has been playing it an octave lower, and it just doesn't have that same transcendent effect.

I often wonder if musicians ever listen back to their records and think, 'oh yeah, that's how I used to play it - I should do that again!'
Old 07-17-2017, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tango87 View Post
Nice to hear that Lindsey is playing that beautiful high solo at the end of YMLF again - in recent years he has been playing it an octave lower, and it just doesn't have that same transcendent effect.

I often wonder if musicians ever listen back to their records and think, 'oh yeah, that's how I used to play it - I should do that again!'
I think the same thing. I wish he would play NGBA at regular speed.
Old 07-17-2017, 02:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tango87 View Post

Yeah Lindsey has been so obviously loving doing YMLF during BuckVie shows - it's been a joy to watch and listen! He must have been really missing performing some of Christine's songs in the years she was absent from the band.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 07-17-2017, 02:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Positive review from Billboard
http://www.billboard.com/articles/co...m-classic-west
Old 07-17-2017, 02:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

http://www.ocregister.com/2017/07/17...odger-stadium/
Old 07-17-2017, 03:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Based on a few reviews from friends and after reading the Billboard review, it sounds like it was a great show.

Still glad I didn't go. The crowds and the ****ty Dodger stadium acoustics would have annoyed me - and I would have regretted the high ticket prices.

But that doesn't mean I won't go if they do a legitimate tour next year.
I'm all about the music and could not be less interested in all the manufactured drama surrounding the Buck/McVie album and Stevie.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Their three voices sounded terrific on "The Chain." 'I'm impressed they can still do it. They sing together and yet each voice is identifiable and important. Love it.

YMLF was very good. Christine's voice is strong here. Her piano playing on "Don't Stop" was welcome, too!

The other clips were equally good. "Gold Dust" is when Stevie shines brightest, I think.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The reviews are positively gushing, which was awesome to read. All three singers got great mentions overall, unfortunately leaving little mention of Mick and John, but I'm sure they did a great job, too.

I think their set list was totally awesome. I didn't check, but it sounds like it was the exact same set list as what they played last year at Dodger Stadium, at the fundraiser. Songbird wouldn't have been a good set closer in that stadium. I am surprised Stevie swapped Seven Wonders for the more subdued Sara, so good for her.

I can't wait to see them next year!
Old 07-17-2017, 05:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyNote View Post
Here's a link to pictures, videos and the Twitter feed.
thanks for compiling that! surprised no pics of the final bows.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 07-17-2017, 06:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Ouch!

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...717-story.html

This is perhaps the clincher:

But the true bummer was how unengaged the members were in the music how little pleasure (or pain) they seemed to be taking in the job at hand. There was no humor or charm, nor any evidence of the groups mythically complicated chemistry; song after song in the two-hour set simply rolled by as though they were marking items off a grocery list.

and

. In their excellent performance on Saturday, the Eagles showed that its possible to refresh a vintage sound while maintaining a cherished legacy.

Twenty-four hours later, the members of Fleetwood Mac made me feel like a sucker for caring about theirs.

Well, I wasn't there but the videos I've seen don't really show them gelling personally as well as they did on the last tour. I just hope they don't have to suffer the Eagles' recent tragedy to produce something that would please this reviewer more.

You have to wonder if the recent Buckingham-McVie bifurcation whilst the Mac remains a touring concern is having wider effects between them. Sympton or cause, though?
Old 07-17-2017, 07:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

All of that might be true, but how can you compare the emotional resonance of the Eagles reuniting in tribute to their band mate who passed away, with his son performing in his place, to Fleetwood Mac coming together not too long after a huge world tour? So maybe FM was going through the motions a little bit- it sounds like they still put on a great, professional show, not an easy feat considering their age and the fact that Buckingham/McVie are smack in the middle of their own tour.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Scathing review. 180 degrees from the 2 linked reviews I posted up thread. Chris and Lindsey are doing their thing. Stevie is still doing 24 Karat Gold shows. Maybe this Classic West show infringed on their ability to compartmentalize (even though they agreed to it). It would have been cool to do Tusk with the marching band but there's a cost. If FM was lukewarm to this show/just getting a check then there's no motivation for them to do anything extra like the drummers/horns.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Scarrott View Post
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...717-story.html

This is perhaps the clincher:

But the true bummer was how unengaged the members were in the music — how little pleasure (or pain) they seemed to be taking in the job at hand. There was no humor or charm, nor any evidence of the group’s mythically complicated chemistry; song after song in the two-hour set simply rolled by as though they were marking items off a grocery list.

and

. In their excellent performance on Saturday, the Eagles showed that it’s possible to refresh a vintage sound while maintaining a cherished legacy.

Twenty-four hours later, the members of Fleetwood Mac made me feel like a sucker for caring about theirs.

Well, I wasn't there but the videos I've seen don't really show them gelling personally as well as they did on the last tour. I just hope they don't have to suffer the Eagles' recent tragedy to produce something that would please this reviewer more.

You have to wonder if the recent Buckingham-McVie bifurcation whilst the Mac remains a touring concern is having wider effects between them. Sympton or cause, though?
That's the thing: this is a band that was always famous for their chemistry, good or bad, and the drama sorrounding them at all time. To be on the stage like robots who are doing their job sucks, simply because that's not who they are.

And it wasn't only Stevie and Lindsey. Christine didn't look very happy either. I don't know if the BuckVie tour is the cause of this strange behavior on stage, but a cold concert with no emotion whatsoever isn't exactly who they are. And it makes the concert less pleasurable.

And I certainly sympathize with the reporter. It makes you feel like a sucker for caring about their legacy.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.

Last edited by button-lip; 07-17-2017 at 07:13 PM..
Old 07-17-2017, 07:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It's a little sad somehow that these two Classic events are the only Mac performances this year as they approach the 50th anniversary of Fleetwood Mac's very first proper gig on 13 August 1967 and that this doesn't appear to have been acknowledged during their set (from what I have read). Did Mick not make any mention of it?