User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-11-2018, 02:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I have no idea but usually its about the artist not wanting to be included or is not paid enough. Maybe Lindsey didn't want the song on the soundtrack in case the movie was a flop or something. This has happened on other albums. The Flashdance soundtrack was one of the biggest selling albums of 1983. Joan Jett's "I love rock n roll" is in the movie but not included on the album. I heard that Joan did not want it on the album. The Go Gos did not want "We got the beat" (one of their biggest hits) on the Fast Times soundtrack. They gave them another song instead. We Got The Beat is the opening song to the movie.
How about this. No one thought Woodstock would be profitable. Mountain's manager persuaded the band to not be included in the soundtrack or any video performances. They lost a ton of money and publicity for that decision The album went to #1 and made many bands famous and rich.

I guessed that could be the reason. I watched Forrest Gump again last night for the first time in many years. Obviously all the music used in the film is brilliant and has its place but when it got to the 'run' Go Your Own Way really sent shivers down my back. I remember being perplexed when the soundtrack was released that GYOW was omitted. Then, having looked it up on wikipedia it seems GYOW was later added when the album was reissued. That really sounds like typical Fleetwood Mac.
Surely though, if he/they didnt want it used on the soundtrack he/they wouldnt have sanctioned its use for the film in the first place???

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 08-22-2019, 12:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I know there have been a number of Go Your Own Way breakdown/analysis clips. This is one by a Youtuber that I particularly like watching; Rick Beato. Unfortunately Fleetwood Mac blocked it from his Youtube channel so it was moved to a website;

https://flatfiv.com/blogs/rick-beato...-fleetwood-mac

It's very interesting to understand all the different layers to the song.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 08-22-2019, 12:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
I know there have been a number of Go Your Own Way breakdown/analysis clips. This is one by a Youtuber that I particularly like watching; Rick Beato. Unfortunately Fleetwood Mac blocked it from his Youtube channel so it was moved to a website;

Nice, deep breakdown, and it always helps to have top-notch technology at the ready when producing these videos, including the software to separate and highlight individual tracks.

One thing that has puzzled me for decades about McVie is that his lines are always described as "busy" or "flowery" or something like. But then I listen to other bass lines of the period, especially funk and disco, and I think McVie keeps it a lot simpler than they are. I don't know who is playing bass on the 1977 Andrew Gold album, but it sounds as "filled in" as anything McVie does on Rumours.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 08-22-2019, 02:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Nice, deep breakdown, and it always helps to have top-notch technology at the ready when producing these videos, including the software to separate and highlight individual tracks.

One thing that has puzzled me for decades about McVie is that his lines are always described as "busy" or "flowery" or something like. But then I listen to other bass lines of the period, especially funk and disco, and I think McVie keeps it a lot simpler than they are. I don't know who is playing bass on the 1977 Andrew Gold album, but it sounds as "filled in" as anything McVie does on Rumours.

I know what you mean. But I think it's McVie's unexpected yet logical placing of the notes he plays that makes his work feel more bubbly and propulsive than others. I think of his redacted bass lines for "Second Hand News" that propel the song forward as an energetic, stately march. Lindsey ended up rerecording a more straightforward bass line that takes attention away from the bottom end that was so prominent on The White Album. Never understood why LB often tried to get Mick and (especially) John to play less idiosyncratically. In an effort to keep the pop profile, he often simplified the bottom end instrumentation.
Old 08-26-2019, 08:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Yeah Youtube changed something in their policy about a month ago, and now you get these random blockings. This persons block says there are 22 seconds in his video claimed by WMG - if he edits out those 22 seconds he would get his 18 plus minute video reinstated with all the views GYOW generated and he doesn’t wanna lose. Apparently guy doesn’t wanna do that and instead went on social media hate mail spree against LB.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 08-30-2019, 10:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I guessed that could be the reason. I watched Forrest Gump again last night for the first time in many years. Obviously all the music used in the film is brilliant and has its place but when it got to the 'run' Go Your Own Way really sent shivers down my back. I remember being perplexed when the soundtrack was released that GYOW was omitted. Then, having looked it up on wikipedia it seems GYOW was later added when the album was reissued. That really sounds like typical Fleetwood Mac.
Surely though, if he/they didnt want it used on the soundtrack he/they wouldnt have sanctioned its use for the film in the first place???
Wow, for the first time in a while I just learnt something new about Lindsey and Fleetwood Mac. Cannot remember GYOW being in Forrest Gump and I have seen the movie at least twice in full and bits and pieces I have watched over and over as it is always on TV and you channel surf when it is on if you know the movie well.

My favourite movie soundtrack is My Girl. Makes me cry. Great movie. Don't think any Fleetwood Mac songs feature in it, but correct me if I am wrong?