The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: FAVORITE "BAD" STEVIE SONG!!!
"Gate & Garden" 10 15.15%
"The Nightmare" 6 9.09%
"Fire Burning" 4 6.06%
"When I See You Again" (a.k.a. "Whassamattah Baby") 6 9.09%
"Docklands" (...you go down to the laundromat...) 12 18.18%
"That Made Me Stronger" 6 9.09%
"Cheaper Than Free" (a.k.a. "Barney & Friends") 13 19.70%
"Silver Girl" 8 12.12%
"Without You" 1 1.52%
"If You Were My Love" (we're not friends anymore if you pick this! 0 0%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-22-2014, 08:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default ok...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
I don't get the hate for "Silver Girl" AT ALL!!! GRRRR!
We can agree on this one, Travis. A sleepy gem.. ".. shadow moves across her face.. you cannot see her soul... unless she lets you.. see her soul.." love that lyric.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Gate and Garbage
Old 10-23-2014, 04:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by priestofnothing View Post
I would have added to this list:
Sister Honey
Welcome to the Room Sara
and Mabel Normand (sorry).
Agree completely with "Mabel Normand". A bunch of words sung in no melody or pattern over a very mediocre riff. It just drones on and on and on about absolute twaddle.

"I Don't Care" is equally as horrid.

I love "Sister Honey" though, it's so much fun
Old 10-23-2014, 09:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Forgotten Chimpanzee: The Worst of Stevie Nicks

Mirror Mirror
Jane
Desert Angel (Agent Orange Remix)
When I See You Again
Freedom
Two Kinds Of Love (Re-Recorded Duet with Michael Bolton)
Docklands
Mabel Normand
Street Angel
The Nightmare
Soldier's Angel (Rock Smack Remix)

@2014 Rhino Records

Old 10-23-2014, 09:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
I'm really surprised Jane didn't make this list... it's unequivocally the worst song she's ever recorded. Cheaper Than Free is a worthy heir, though.
You got that right, honey! If "Jane" is not on this list, something's amiss. The melodic disaster that is "JANE" quite possibly takes the cake as the worst song ever recorded. Girl, put me in beloved exile with those forgotten chimpanzees!!! Write a book about it, and call it CHIMP QUEEN !
Old 10-24-2014, 12:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I can find a bizarre charm in every one of her songs, even songs I think are her worst,- vocally,lyrically, or arrangement/production wise.

I don't have any hate towards any of her songs; some are the cream of the crop, some rank at the bottom, and others hover in the middle. All are listenable for variable reasons.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
I can find a bizarre charm in every one of her songs, even songs I think are her worst,- vocally,lyrically, or arrangement/production wise.

I don't have any hate towards any of her songs; some are the cream of the crop, some rank at the bottom, and others hover in the middle. All are listenable for variable reasons.
Likewise. The ones people seem to love to hate here are mostly my sort of guilty Stevie pleasures.

Some against the grain musings of mine:

I actually like Jane more than the entire rest of the SA album with the ;possible exception of Kick It. IT IS A TRIBUTE TO JANE GOODALL AND THAT IS WHY IT REFERENCES CHIMPANZEES.

Affairs of the Heart is by far the worst of Stevie from BYM.

Her Hammond organ driven Tom Petty crap from the early years drives me to drink. I Need to Know, Gold and Braid, Blue Lamp, Violet and Blue.... At least they show that she sucks at being ordinary.

To me her all time worst song is Desert Angel.

When I See You Again is among Stevie's best, to me. Mysterious and avant garde and sincere.

Sometimes the reactions of "fans" to her more unusual efforts is like what you would expect when the trailer park takes a field trip to the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Don't expect pictures of trees and lakes and paintings of dogs playing poker.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
We can agree on this one, Travis. A sleepy gem.. ".. shadow moves across her face.. you cannot see her soul... unless she lets you.. see her soul.." love that lyric.
Old 10-26-2014, 04:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

I cant even read all of these posts
Some of the songs I can see are not favorites but some of you have my ALL TIME favorite Stevie songs like Doing the Best that I can. That song is probably the best written and produced song ever. It is hypnotizing and its was meant to be that way building a frenzy.
Its about drug addiction and escaping the Betty Ford Center (thus escape from Berlin)

It was one for you and three for me (shows how much more addicted she was than others)
I just played the part...did not win or lose... but I threw the cards....(shows her attitude about just wanting to leave)
Locked away but I covered my tears,....silent all day...its out of my hands here

Man..it does not get any better than that. Those that don't like the song....listen to the song with headphones on. Rupert Hine is a genius for producing this song!!
Old 11-04-2014, 03:05 AM
Junior Ledgie

Omg .... I absolutley love "When i see you again"
Old 11-04-2014, 03:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzo View Post
Likewise. The ones people seem to love to hate here are mostly my sort of guilty Stevie pleasures.

Some against the grain musings of mine:

I actually like Jane more than the entire rest of the SA album with the ;possible exception of Kick It. IT IS A TRIBUTE TO JANE GOODALL AND THAT IS WHY IT REFERENCES CHIMPANZEES.

Affairs of the Heart is by far the worst of Stevie from BYM.

Her Hammond organ driven Tom Petty crap from the early years drives me to drink. I Need to Know, Gold and Braid, Blue Lamp, Violet and Blue.... At least they show that she sucks at being ordinary.

To me her all time worst song is Desert Angel.

When I See You Again is among Stevie's best, to me. Mysterious and avant garde and sincere.

Sometimes the reactions of "fans" to her more unusual efforts is like what you would expect when the trailer park takes a field trip to the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Don't expect pictures of trees and lakes and paintings of dogs playing poker.

No need to cast aspersions on others who don't like the same songs in her collection you do. Calling people here trailer trash and every single thing Stevie's done equal to the work of the great masters is an overstatement on both accounts.

Stevie has absolutely written some turd songs. Glorious turds though they may be, festooned with ribbons and bows, turds the are. She's not above writing some really mediocre sh*t too….. especially mid-career when the success and drugs went to her head and she thought every random brain fart lyric she scribbled was Shakespeare.

And then there are the true gems, the songs that don't deserve to be cheapened by being put on the same level as the scat.

Can she write amazing, unique, classic songs? Yes. Can she write crap? Yes. Will some people disagree on which is which? Yep. There's no accounting for taste. But Mama laughs all the way to the bank either way.
Old 11-04-2014, 03:24 AM
bombaysaffires
This message has been deleted by bombaysaffires.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
No need to cast aspersions on others who don't like the same songs in her collection you do. Calling people here trailer trash and every single thing Stevie's done equal to the work of the great masters is an overstatement on both accounts.

Stevie has absolutely written some turd songs. Glorious turds though they may be, festooned with ribbons and bows, turds the are. She's not above writing some really mediocre sh*t too….. especially mid-career when the success and drugs went to her head and she thought every random brain fart lyric she scribbled was Shakespeare.

And then there are the true gems, the songs that don't deserve to be cheapened by being put on the same level as the scat.

Can she write amazing, unique, classic songs? Yes. Can she write crap? Yes. Will some people disagree on which is which? Yep. There's no accounting for taste. But Mama laughs all the way to the bank either way.
The trailer park reference was a metaphor. Stevie uses a lot of those in her lyrics.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Sister Honey!
Old 11-11-2014, 08:47 PM
Ledgie

It seems like there's some confusion over whether to vote on Stevie's absolute worst songs, or songs that we instinctively know are pretty crumby but find some delight in anyway. I'm going with the latter interpretation.

As dedicated Stevie fans, as most of us appear to be, we've likely gotten used to having to lower our expectations since the mid-1980s. Her golden era for me was 1973 to 1983, even though I've found numerous occasions for enjoyment since. I've just had to brace myself for a lot of flat/missed/nasally notes.

What we might think of as a respectably decent modern-day Stevie vocal ("All the Beautiful Worlds") recently caused by boyfriend to stare up from his phone trace and say "She sounds pretty atrocious." He'd just heard the "tell me why" and "say goodbye" parts. I sort of have to agree with his assessment, I'm afraid.

So separating Stevie's vocal performance from a song's quality or the production value can be tricky business.

That said, my favorite fundamentally flawed song that is quite the guilty pleasure is....(opens envelope)...

"One More Big Time Rock & Roll Star."

It's the pinnacle of her bleating goat voice, with some cringe worthy lyrics: "Under music lover and an art lover like me. There were candles, there were crystals, I was anyone's fantasy."

I love the whole damn thing against my better judgment. Narcissism be damned.

Last edited by brad975; 11-13-2014 at 05:10 PM..
Old 11-11-2014, 09:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
...she thought every random brain fart lyric she scribbled was Shakespeare.
Great line! I believe she still thinks that way.