The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-19-2014, 05:39 AM
Junior Ledgie

I've managed to order the hard cover book from amazon. It's available in the UK.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Closer Weekly Jan 31, 2015 5:45PM By Closer Staff

http://www.closerweekly.com/posts/st...the-tale-50690

Stevie Nicks Lived a Life Fueled By Sex, Drugs and Rock ‘n’ Roll – And Survived to Tell The Tale

These days, Stevie Nicks goes her own way.

“She loves her current, quiet life,” a friend tells ‘Closer.’ “Her days consist of taking long walks on [LA] beaches, reading, crocheting and watching soap operas like The Young and the Restless’ and ‘Days of Our Lives.’

It’s a long way from the young and restless days of her life as a rock star with the ‘70s supergroup Fleetwood Mac, as documented in her new biography, ‘Stevie Nicks: Visions, Dreams & Rumors,’ by Zoe Howe.

"She nearly lost her life on more than one occasion,” Howe tells ‘Closer’ of the singer, who battled drug addiction. “There were times she would fall off the stage and have to be rescued.”

“All of us were drug addicts, but there was a point where I was the worst drug addict,” Stevie, 66, says of her band. “I was doing a lot of coke, and I had a [dime-sized] hold in my nose, so it was dangerous.”

A doctor warned Stevie that if she did cocaine once more she might suffer a fatal brain hemorrhage, so she checked herself into rehab in the early ‘80s.

But she got hooked on the Klonopin she was prescribed to help kick the coke. “It was actually much worse and stopped her creativity for a while,” Howe says.

She finally got off hard drugs 20 years ago – although she admits to smoking pot occasionally during songwriting.

To read the full story on Stevie, pick up the new issue of ‘Closer Weekly,’ on newsstands now!

Keep up with Stevie Nicks in the pages of Closer Weekly by subscribing now!
Old 01-31-2015, 09:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Reading, crocheting and watching soap operas.

I know she used to crochet, but recently?

Michele
Old 02-01-2015, 01:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Reading, crocheting and watching soap operas.

I know she used to crochet, but recently?

Michele
when I hear stuff like that I always imagine it as something she does to occupy some of the long stretches where she isn't needed say in the studio or during rehearsals while maybe equipment is being set up or lights rigged/tested or whatever. A lot like many actors/actresses on movie sets who knit or sketch or play cards or something while they wait around for a shot to be set up. [ I think of the scenes in parts of the Tusk documentary where engineers and so one would be hovered over the sound board or setting things up in the studio and she's on the couch drawing or writing in her journals. She does the same in SYW doc with her own little sitting room area with her drawings and such while they recorded-- sh&t she's even sitting on the couch in the "control room" flipping thru magazines]

If she crochets as well as she draws, not sure I'd wear one of her creations!!
Old 02-06-2015, 12:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Daily Mail Article on 'Visions, Dreams, and Rumours'

VERY interesting article in the Mail today... It's all about the new book. Some interesting things in there, but of course drugs drugs drugs "omg a cocaine o no" drugs drugs drugs
This one also specifically mentions the abortion
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-new-book.html

EXCLUSIVE: Stevie Nicks' $1million cocaine habit, fueled by her wild affair with married Mick Fleetwood, burned a hole in her nose so big she took the drug through her private parts, reveals new book

Stevie Nicks was 27 when she became the ‘Queen Bee’ of the British-American rock band, Fleetwood Mac.
Up until that time, writing songs and singing with her longtime sweetheart, Lindsay Buckingham, she hadn’t indulged in drugs. But that was all about to change.
She quickly descended into drug hell and became addicted to cocaine, alcohol, Quaaludes to sleep, and cigarettes – until her system broke down and she started having nosebleeds, falls on stage, blackouts and near overdoses.
She bought $1 million worth of cocaine and it burned a hole in her nose the size of a dime. Rumors spread that she had to have the drug blown up her derriere by an assistant.
‘There was no way to get off the white horse and I didn’t want to,' the now 66-year-old Nicks said.

She only slowed down her drug consumption when her doctor warned her she was risking permanent mental and physical damage as well as heading for a brain hemorrhage or an early grave.
The group called for an intervention and saved her life by urging her to check in to the Betty Ford Center.
Stevie got cleaned up from one drug and went into therapy, but for the next nine years she became dependent on another drug prescribed for anxiety that plunged her into years of depression and weight gain.
‘But I got through it, I was so lucky’, Zoe Howe quotes Nicks in her new book, Stevie Nicks: Visions, Dreams & Rumours, published by Omnibus Press, 5 February.
Nicks fell madly in love with Mick Fleetwood two years after she joined Fleetwood Mac, while she was dating the Eagles' Don Henley in 1977.
She called Mick one of her ‘great great loves’.
Fleetwood, in his own biography, writes they secretly began seeing each other in Los Angeles while on a break from a tour, the clandestine nature of the meetings accelerating their passion.
‘I was in love with her, and she loved me, and it was not something passing in the night’.
‘It was a proper Hollywood affair on a par with Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor’.
But the complications with significant others and band-mates made it feel like ‘utter madness’.
Mick was still married to model Jenny Boyd at the time.

But the greatest love in Nicks' life was keyboard player and guitarist Joe Walsh of the Eagles. She still carries a torch for the musician.
But Walsh believed one of them would die from a drug overdose if they stayed together so he walked out the door.
‘There was no other man in the world for me. And it’s the same today’, Nicks confessed.
Fleetwood Mac was ‘a fairytale on acid’ to Stevie Nicks, and Mick Fleetwood was like ‘an English king’ to her when they first met in Los Angeles.
‘I was awestruck. I still am to this day of Mick’s presence’.
Endless days recording in the studio with Fleetwood, cocaine now became a daily indulgence for Nicks – as well as Courvoisier, Heineken beer, honey and hot tea and marijuana.
She consumed so many drugs that weeks went by without sleep.
Nicks wore a little gold and turquoise bottle inlaid with diamonds of coke around her neck so she would never be without the drug.
While the guys did rails of coke, the girls daintily inhaled tiny spoonfuls of the drug.
Crystal balls, knick knacks, dolls, gypsy chic chiffon dresses, shawls trinkets, feathers, lace, twirling on stage – and mountains of drugs defined her rock ‘n’ roll lifestyle.
They were the world’s most hedonistic band, the author writes.
To avoid body searches by customs in Europe, they hired a private train to travel through Germany, and into France and Holland. The luxurious lounge car with its gold light fittings and velvet drapes had once belong to Hitler – including the elderly attendant who had once served the Fuhrer and was still on board.

Every whim of the band members was met.
While on tour, all Nicks wanted was the presidential suite at hotels.
‘We were elegant people and we wanted a place to sleep after the show that was beautiful’.
Before falling into the arms of Mick and Joe Walsh, Nicks had an affair with Eagle Don Henley, founding member of the group, drummer and singer. She was romanced by the Maseratis, the mansions, the destroyed hotels, the parties that defined the Eagles lifestyle.
She became pregnant with his child and chose to have an abortion. The affair was quickly over but she wrote a song, ‘Sara,’ for their unborn girl.
With Eagle Joe Walsh, ‘it was love’.
‘We were busy being superstars, and everyone was doing way too many drugs. But I was so in love with him’, Nicks is quoted.as saying.
Of all the men she had been involved with, Joe was the one man she wanted to marry.
‘There was nothing more important than Joe Walsh, not my music, not my songs, not anything’.
‘I remember days of misery waiting by the phone. Me in my house, with him saying ‘I’m going to visit you’. I would kick everyone out because I just wanted to be with him, and not a phone call. [I put up with it because] I was in love with him’.
With all the drugs, ‘we were a couple on the way to hell’.
‘It took me a long, long time to get over it’.

She was caught up in depression for nine years that resulted from long-term use of the tranquilizer, Klonopin prescribed for her anxiety while recovering from cocaine dependency.
She supplemented the Klonopin with barbiturates.
After having her breast implants removed in December 1976, she was diagnosed with Epstein-Barr, a viral infection that causes crippling fatigue.
She underwent plastic surgery to change the proportion of her body after soaring up to 175 pounds on the drug.
The drugs were killing her and she admitted herself to the Daniel Freeman Memorial Hospital in Venice Beach.
This detox was harder than kicking her cocaine addiction.
Her last tour with Fleetwood Mac with in December 1990 until the group decided those were the best years of their lives. They mended old ills and jumped back out on tour late in 2014.
In those intervening years, Nicks, put out quadruple platinum solo albums.
‘I believe there have been angels with me constantly through these last twenty years, or I wouldn't be alive’.
Her one big regret however was not the drugs, not the affairs, but not stopping to have a baby.
Old 02-06-2015, 01:12 PM
Junior Ledgie

I just read this, Stevie should sue. The only book I want to read would be one from Stevie herself. I know it aint gonna happen anytime soon, but oh well. xx
Old 02-06-2015, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Rumors spread that she had to have the drug blown up her derriere by an assistant..
Quote:
After having her breast implants removed in December 1976
Quote:
She underwent plastic surgery to change the proportion of her body after soaring up to 175 pounds on the drug
So so many things wrong in this article...
Old 02-06-2015, 01:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I like that the writer leaves in the detail that there was indeed an intervention by concerned people around her to get her to go to rehab. She chooses to spin this that she decided on her own to go to rehab. She chose to go along with the intervention and go to rehab, so technically she isn't exactly lying about it, but doing her Stevie spin of the story. But it's important that if left to her own devices, she would NOT have chosen rehab-- despite the bleeding noses and near overdoses (which Paul Fishkin talks about). She was a total MESS-- addiction is very, very ugly.

However, the writer gets some things clearly wrong. No way she had her implants OUT in 1976-- that's about when she got them. She had them out in like the late 80s or early 90s.

She has had other plastic surgery besides the implants, but we don't know just what. To me she's clearly had her nose tweaked, but who knows.
Old 02-06-2015, 01:15 PM
Junior Ledgie

This rag is known as the daily fail here in the U.K. Gutter press at its very worst. xx
Old 02-06-2015, 01:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachelclairexx View Post
This rag is known as the daily fail here in the U.K. Gutter press at its very worst. xx
Exactly.. I read the 'fail' for the gossip pretty much, because respectful, accurate journalism is apparently non-existent to them!

I saw the picture of Stevie and I panicked... I'm like "oH SH!T DID SHE DIe!?! And then I remembered every so often they run an article about the millions FM spent on snow and I calmed down a little.
Old 02-06-2015, 01:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DauphineMarie View Post
I saw the picture of Stevie and I panicked... I'm like "oH SH!T DID SHE DIe!?! And then I remembered every so often they run an article about the millions FM spent on snow and I calmed down a little.
That's hilarious. I like the Daily Mail for the pictures.

Michele
Old 02-06-2015, 03:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DauphineMarie View Post
Exactly.. I read the 'fail' for the gossip pretty much, because respectful, accurate journalism is apparently non-existent to them!

I have that reaction when I tune in to the radio and they are playing multiple songs by the same artist -- only to find out it's something like "three for Thursday" or "Four for Friday!!"

It's just lodged in my brain because when someone actually does die (like when I was in high school and John Lennon was shot for example) radio stations would start playing their music nonstop in memoriam. So it jolts me every time.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
I have that reaction when I tune in to the radio and they are playing multiple songs by the same artist -- only to find out it's something like "three for Thursday" or "Four for Friday!!"

It's just lodged in my brain because when someone actually does die (like when I was in high school and John Lennon was shot for example) radio stations would start playing their music nonstop in memoriam. So it jolts me every time.
I think that's the price we all pay for unconditionally loving all of these aging rock stars lol
Old 02-06-2015, 09:09 PM
Registered

I wonder why she's so /was damaged
Old 02-06-2015, 09:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
I know. I listen to a news station and when they break in with an FM song, it is scary. They did that for Bob Welch.

Sometimes though, they will play a song because it matches the theme of their news story and it has nothing to do with FM. So, they might play Don't Stop when talking about Hilary Clinton or something innocuous and I hear it and think, "Oh no, what happened."

Michele