Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-03-2014, 11:54 AM
Senior Ledgie

Default Stevie Nicks Book: "Visions, Dreams, and Rumors" by Zoe Howe

Has anyone else seen this? or have any additional information?

http://www.amazon.com/Stevie-Nicks-V...ZQTTZMC8TCWZGC
"It was, because we demanded it from the very beginning. You can't be a wimp, and then one or two years later decide not to be a wimp anymore. Because people will always treat you like a wimp, once they have decided that's what you are. So you can never be that. You have to be strong, tough, smart, and know who you are. So, people will get that. Then, they're always going to be great to you. Then, they listen to you; they listen to your songs. They give you a chance. Otherwise, you get nowhere."
Old 08-03-2014, 12:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoetofRhiannon View Post
Has anyone else seen this? or have any additional information?

http://www.amazon.com/Stevie-Nicks-V...ZQTTZMC8TCWZGC
I saw this a while ago, and I didn't know what to think of it. I know there are several "unauthorized biographies" but I don't know what new information might be included in this one. So far some of the others haven't been chalk full of information, like Mick's or Carol Ann's book. I'll still buy it probably, but I just don't know what the intentions of this book are.
Old 08-03-2014, 12:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Sirius XM was promoting her new record and also mentioned a new biography "Gold Dust Woman" releasing the same day.
Old 08-03-2014, 01:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM77 View Post
Sirius XM was promoting her new record and also mentioned a new biography "Gold Dust Woman" releasing the same day.
According to my friend at St. Martin's, 'Gold Dust Woman,' has been pushed back to 2015
Old 08-03-2014, 01:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I received a proof copy of this book and I am supposed to review it. My copy did not come with cover art, so I can't speak to that.

Michele

Last edited by michelej1; 08-03-2014 at 01:16 PM..
Old 08-05-2014, 12:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I received a proof copy of this book and I am supposed to review it. My copy did not come with cover art, so I can't speak to that.

Michele
Are you going to read it? I think fans/potential consumers would be interested in the content more than the cover art. Do you work in the publishing world or the news business? Editor? Writer? Proof Reader? Public/Consumer Relations? I'm intrigued.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 08-05-2014 at 12:21 AM..
Old 08-05-2014, 01:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
Are you going to read it? I think fans/potential consumers would be interested in the content more than the cover art. Do you work in the publishing world or the news business? Editor? Writer? Proof Reader? Public/Consumer Relations? I'm intrigued.
I did read it. It is comprised of published interviews woven into a convincing narrative, so that it does read like a biography. I would say that if you haven't read all of the published magazine and book comments about Stevie from the seventies all the way up to Ann and Nancy Wilson's book (the quote about Stevie's home being a shrine to herself is used), then this is a great way to catch yourself up on her history. However, although the descriptions and narrative that connect the quotes seems fresh, there is no original information here.

It will quote from a Stevie interview and then say, "At least Stevie could retreat to her loyal coterie of whispering ladies in waiting, who offered comfort and company which, in turn created an atmosphere that excluded everyone else." So, you get the old comments served up with new observations -- observations that do not come from an inside source.

The book speculates on the same things we do here (Why does Stevie say "Emmaline" in Seven Wonders) but has no answers that we don't also have.

In the acknowledgments people like Waddy, Keith Olsen, Rupert Hine and Dave Stewart are thanked, but you aren't getting fresh insights on Stevie from them. The material from other sources is not clumsily sewn together like it was in the first half of Mick's book, but it's derivative, to be sure.

The proof copy did not have photos, but maybe the finished book will.

Michele
Old 08-07-2014, 08:15 AM
Ledgie

Default Stevie Nicks - Visions Dreams & Rumours

Just wanted to share this. Zoë Howe talking about her new Stevie Nicks book Visions Dreams & Rumours which comes out in a few weeks.

https://audioboo.fm/boos/2379417-zoe...dreams-rumours
Old 08-07-2014, 08:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritinthesky View Post
Just wanted to share this. Zoë Howe talking about her new Stevie Nicks book Visions Dreams & Rumours which comes out in a few weeks.

https://audioboo.fm/boos/2379417-zoe...dreams-rumours
There's a discussion here Stevie Nicks Book "Visions Dreams and Rumours" By Zoe Howe if your looking for info...
Old 08-07-2014, 09:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thank you for the great review, Michele.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I did read it. It is comprised of published interviews woven into a convincing narrative, so that it does read like a biography. I would say that if you haven't read all of the published magazine and book comments about Stevie from the seventies all the way up to Ann and Nancy Wilson's book (the quote about Stevie's home being a shrine to herself is used), then this is a great way to catch yourself up on her history. However, although the descriptions and narrative that connect the quotes seems fresh, there is no original information here.

It will quote from a Stevie interview and then say, "At least Stevie could retreat to her loyal coterie of whispering ladies in waiting, who offered comfort and company which, in turn created an atmosphere that excluded everyone else." So, you get the old comments served up with new observations -- observations that do not come from an inside source.

The book speculates on the same things we do here (Why does Stevie say "Emmaline" in Seven Wonders) but has no answers that we don't also have.

In the acknowledgments people like Waddy, Keith Olsen, Rupert Hine and Dave Stewart are thanked, but you aren't getting fresh insights on Stevie from them. The material from other sources is not clumsily sewn together like it was in the first half of Mick's book, but it's derivative, to be sure.

The proof copy did not have photos, but maybe the finished book will.

Michele

Stevie seems to be verrry controlling about what gets out about her, even by her associates. If anyone says anything she doesn't like, they hear about it. Remember Waddy saying when he heard The Police's Bring On The Night and his reaction "omg we totally ripped them off" …well he walked that back right quick and has tried to re-state what he said several times since in interviews and my money is for sure on La Nicks having expressed her displeasure. Not the first time. Stevie maintains a firm grip on her image and no one who wants to stay close will dare spill any beans she doesn't want spilled. Jeezus even Lindsey eventually got co-opted into the whole "3 years" thing. If she says something enough times, it becomes de facto reality (because it's hella easier than contradicting her with the truth)

I would love, love, love a REAL bio/autobio of her but it will NEVER happen while she's alive.

One of the most honest comments came from Paul Fishkin in her VH1 Behind The Music when he said they had to "scrape her off the floor" on tour and there were numerous "near overdoses". I think her drug years are full of some pretty sordid stuff and would dismantle her whole delicate, fairy princess act. Fascinating stuff; alas, we'll probably never know a tenth of it.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
Stevie seems to be verrry controlling about what gets out about her, even by her associates. If anyone says anything she doesn't like, they hear about it. Remember Waddy saying when he heard The Police's Bring On The Night and his reaction "omg we totally ripped them off" …well he walked that back right quick and has tried to re-state what he said several times since in interviews and my money is for sure on La Nicks having expressed her displeasure. Not the first time. Stevie maintains a firm grip on her image and no one who wants to stay close will dare spill any beans she doesn't want spilled. Jeezus even Lindsey eventually got co-opted into the whole "3 years" thing. If she says something enough times, it becomes de facto reality (because it's hella easier than contradicting her with the truth)

I would love, love, love a REAL bio/autobio of her but it will NEVER happen while she's alive.

One of the most honest comments came from Paul Fishkin in her VH1 Behind The Music when he said they had to "scrape her off the floor" on tour and there were numerous "near overdoses". I think her drug years are full of some pretty sordid stuff and would dismantle her whole delicate, fairy princess act. Fascinating stuff; alas, we'll probably never know a tenth of it.
Stevie and Fleetwood Mac's management have been diligent about protecting her image, despite all the sordid stuff that's happened over the years. When she called herself a spoiled princess in an interview years ago, I interpreted part of that as the Fleetwood Mac management keeping the public away from some of the shadier stuff that happens in the rock scene. I agree that we only know a fraction of what actually happened.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm curious about the Miss Piggy and Stevie comparisons.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post

I was thinking exactly the same thing as I was reading your post.She must have some REALLY heavy stuff to hide .IMO, she is just way too protective about "inside" stuff,almost to the point of paranoia.The countless sex partners and drugs have been discussed openly by madame so what else is there?ALOT!Like unbelievable,ungodly stuff.Maybe the coke - up - the - butt story has some truth....
Old 08-07-2014, 09:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by teedeerocks View Post
I was thinking exactly the same thing as I was reading your post.She must have some REALLY heavy stuff to hide .IMO, she is just way too protective about "inside" stuff,almost to the point of paranoia.The countless sex partners and drugs have been discussed openly by madame so what else is there?ALOT!Like unbelievable,ungodly stuff.Maybe the coke - up - the - butt story has some truth....
I think you never know with things like this, with any rock and roll star. I mean today in the Daily Mail, Marianne Faithfull said her ex-boyfriend supplied Jim Morrison with the heroin he used when he died. So for many many years we will probably never everything about anybody. I think what she's doing is really very smart. People know enough about her to know she's had a wild past, but not enough to be completely taken aghast, which is beneficial. At least she has the magic of time's mystery on her side to shroud the complete truth. But at least at this point, I think her plan is smart.