User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-10-2013, 01:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotafraid View Post
I'd be curious to know if he really said that line.
Maybe, but Keith paved the way. Keith told Mick that. Of course, in the past when they left Fritz Stevie said that the record company knew that they could not get Lindsey without her. So, I think it's something that people knew about Lindsey for a long time.

Michele
Old 09-10-2013, 06:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Yes, Stevie is well aware that she wasn't supposed to be in the band.
No good deed goes unpunished, Lindsey might have thought over the years.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Maybe, but Keith paved the way. Keith told Mick that. Of course, in the past when they left Fritz Stevie said that the record company knew that they could not get Lindsey without her. So, I think it's something that people knew about Lindsey for a long time.

Michele

I meant did he actually say that at the time (Feb. 2004).
Old 09-10-2013, 07:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Either way, Lindsey sure is paying the price now.

"What a f**king stupid shirt you're wearing." - Christine McVie
Old 09-10-2013, 07:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I'd be curious to know if he really said that line.
I think I saw him laugh and say that on Charlie Rose too in 2003 or 2004, so I would bet he did.

Michele
Old 09-10-2013, 08:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
wtf is an "air relationship". That sentence doesn't even make sense. Not even if you're Bob Dylan.

And Lindsey very much liked to remind Stevie that she was only in FM because he had insisted that he would only join if they took her too. It's part of why when she eventually became more famous (infamous) than he, it burned his butt big time. He admits this now.
He admits her fame was hard professionally and took her away from him personally, but doesn't say it bothered him because she wasn't supposed to be in the band. I don't think he ever wonders what would have happened if he didn't bring her. He seems to wonder what would have happened if they both never joined. Michele
Old 09-10-2013, 08:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, whatever his feelings--regrets or otherwise--"his" decision to include Stevie as a package deal was great for the band. Most people wouldn't care about Fleetwood Mac if those five people didn't work together. You need all of them. By 1979, hell by 1976, Sevie was not "here coz I say so" a la Buckingham. She was there because she was a vital part of the group.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I meant did he actually say that at the time (Feb. 2004).
Honey, you will learn I don't make things up. The only thing I added to that quote was the Mick in parenthesis, so the casual reader would know who Lindsey was talking about..Here's the actual article you can read it for yourself.

Michele, I just realized there's a piece of this article that talks about what you said too. That Lindsey sometimes thinks about what life would be like if he had not joined Fleetwood Mac (and you know if Lindsey had not join Fleetwood Mac, Stevie would not have joined either ) I think you are right about Lindsey not saying that he just wished Stevie had not joined the band, he's always said he wished that neither of them joined. You know it all goes with the whole Stevie quote heard around the world "but Lindsey always blamed Fleetwood Mac for the loss of ME) `

Now why would a man that's happy married still continue to wonder how his life might have turned out if he and his ex (of about 28 years at the time this was written) had not joined a band, but instead had gone back to San Francisco, maybe gotten married and possibly had a few kids together???? Hmm, weird?

Tomorrow's almost here

Fleetwood Mac guitarist Lindsey Buckingham wants to
stop thinking about yesterday, reports Richard Jinman.

The Sydney Morning Herald
February 18, 2004

He looks, in the old photographs, like the ultimate poster boy for breezy, spritzer-sipping Californian rock: white suits, silk shirts slashed to the waist and a halo of curls big enough to accommodate nesting birds.

Twenty-seven years ago, Lindsey Buckingham was a bona fide soft-rock god and he looked the part. He'd joined Fleetwood Mac as a guitarist in 1975 and two years later the release of Rumours - the band's era-defining, 25-million-plus unit-shifting album - catapulted him into the stadium league. Buckingham found himself strapped to one of pop's biggest rockets as it blazed a spectacular, if wildly dysfunctional, course across the musical firmament. Regrets? He has a few.

"Left to my own devices, I would much rather have been in a band like the Clash," says Buckingham.

The Clash? It's hard to imagine Buckingham sporting a Mohican and cranking out a three-chord punk anthem such as London Calling.

"Well, just a band that had a little more of an experimental sensibility," says the guitarist, who was born into a middle-class family in Palo Alto, California, in 1949. "Just because Rumours sold what it sold doesn't mean I had complete regard for it as a work." What's wrong with it?

"The femaleness of it. The lightness of it. You might say it's overly poppy in parts. It's ironic that the truthfulness of what we were saying in the songs was represented in a very glossy way. I wasn't directly influenced by punk, but it did remind me of some of the reservations I had about Rumours and what was important."

Buckingham, a guitarist renowned for his fluid, elegant finger style on both electric and acoustic guitar, isn't being ungrateful about the album that made him rich. He's convinced, however, that the stratospheric sales of Rumours was partly due to the public's fascination with the soap opera that created it.

Let's recap. Fuelled by industrial quantities of cocaine, Rumours was recorded during a period drummer Mick Fleetwood has described as an "emotional holocaust". After seven years as lovers and collaborators, Buckingham and singer Stephanie "Stevie" Nicks had gone through a bitter break-up. The marriage of singer-pianist Christine McVie and bass player John McVie was over and Fleetwood was in the middle of a messy divorce. The band's three principal songwriters - Buckingham, Nicks and Christine McVie - turned their misery into songs and the result, improbably, was a middle-of-the-road masterpiece.

The success of Rumours earned Fleetwood Mac a blank cheque when they returned to the studio. They took full advantage: their 1979 double album Tusk was, at the time, the most expensive disc recorded.

They held it all together until 1987's Tango in the Night album, at which point Buckingham was itching to pursue solo projects and flatly refused to tour. The decision led to a "physically ugly" scene with Nicks and Buckingham quit the band in acrimonious circumstances.

Now, Fleetwood Mac's class of '77 are back together, save Christine McVie, who nowadays lives a quiet life in rural England and has no interest in touring. McVie wrote Don't Stop and You Make Loving Fun, two of the songs from Rumours that became enormous hits. Buckingham insists the band isn't diminished by her absence.

"We could play her songs [Don't Stop is the only McVie composition in Fleetwood Mac's set list], but there's no reason," he says. "We have a much ballsier show going now and we're playing better than ever.

"Everyone wishes her well, but none of us saw it as a problem that she wasn't there during the recording of the album." He's referring to Say You Will, a collection of songs written for the most part by Nicks and Buckingham. It has received warm reviews, but no one is pretending the fans packing out the current tour are paying hundreds of dollars each to hear the new stuff.

Buckingham says he's happy to be back with the old firm. Time has healed old wounds and he claims he's better friends with Nicks than at any time in the past. That's a remarkable turnaround, considering the former lovers didn't speak for much of the '90s and in 1994 Nicks told Rolling Stone "I just bug him to death."

Buckingham says his life is very different nowadays. In 2000 he married his girlfriend, Kristen Messner, and the couple have a five-year-old son and a three-year-old daughter. Another baby is due in April. Buckingham has even torn down his bachelor pad in the plush LA suburb of Bel-Air and built a more family-friendly house. "[Family] puts me in a whole other thing," says Buckingham. "I have my own world, which isn't always Stevie's world."

Once in a while, Buckingham allows himself to ponder how his life might have turned out had he not joined Fleetwood Mac. He says he and Nicks were almost penniless when a chance meeting with Mick Fleetwood in a Los Angeles recording studio put them on the road to a world of packed stadiums and private jets.

"You know, he asked me to join the group first," says Buckingham. "He didn't ask Stevie. But I said, 'We're kind of a package deal.' I like to remind Stevie of that now and then."

Fleetwood Mac will perform at the Sydney Entertainment Centre on Saturday and Sunday.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I think I saw him laugh and say that on Charlie Rose too in 2003 or 2004, so I would bet he did.

Michele

The "laugh" made him able to say it, don't ya' think?
Old 09-10-2013, 10:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeshere View Post
Honey, you will learn I don't make things up...

"You know, he asked me to join the group first," says Buckingham. "He didn't ask Stevie. But I said, 'We're kind of a package deal.' I like to remind Stevie of that now and then. She's learned over the years that I'm the talent in the band, she's just it's face"...

Honey or sugar, I'll answer to either - if you're female.

And I wasn't questioning if it had been written in an
article. I was questioning if he had actually said that.
Some people like to add a little bit here and there.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
He admits her fame was hard professionally and took her away from him personally, but doesn't say it bothered him because she wasn't supposed to be in the band. I don't think he ever wonders what would have happened if he didn't bring her. He seems to wonder what would have happened if they both never joined. Michele
Yes, my point was that when she got more famous and then eventually more successful in her (solo) career it kinda pissed him off--- coz he always felt he was more talented or whatever. As Mick said, when Bella Donna did so well, Lindsey had to have had a long hard think about that....
Old 09-10-2013, 10:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeshere View Post
]

Tomorrow's almost here

Fleetwood Mac guitarist Lindsey Buckingham wants to
stop thinking about yesterday, reports Richard Jinman.

The Sydney Morning Herald
February 18, 2004

"Just because Rumours sold what it sold doesn't mean I had complete regard for it as a work." What's wrong with it?

"The femaleness of it.
The lightness of it. You might say it's overly poppy in parts. It's ironic that the truthfulness of what we were saying in the songs was represented in a very glossy way. I wasn't directly influenced by punk, but it did remind me of some of the reservations I had about Rumours and what was important."

Buckingham insists the band isn't diminished by her absence.
"We could play her songs [Don't Stop is the only McVie composition in Fleetwood Mac's set list], but there's no reason," he says. "We have a much ballsier show going now and we're playing better than ever.

Fleetwood Mac will perform at the Sydney Entertainment Centre on Saturday and Sunday.

wtf is his problem?
Old 09-10-2013, 11:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The "laugh" made him able to say it, don't ya' think?
Well, he probably laughs because he teases her with it. I don't think he sees getting into FM as such a great thing that he has to hold it over her head seriously. The bigger coup for him was the power he had once they were actually IN and the band began to see him as one of the main reasons for their success. That gave him a lot of power as to the albums, which Stevie endlessly complained about. I think he enjoyed that power a lot more than he enjoyed being the one to get her or himself into FM. So, I don't think the "package deal" is a big triumph in his mind other than something that he genuinely laughs about -- not laughing to make the truth go down easier.

Before FM, Stevie is the one who says that the record company wanted him, not her when they left Fritz and I've never even heard him bring that up. I don't think it gives him lots of satisfaction to be able to say someone wanted a guitarist. I think if he wants to go na-na-na-na-na about something it would more be that he feels he has crafted their sound -- or at least the parts of their sound that he considers to be any good.

Michele
Old 09-10-2013, 11:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yes, they do. For instance, if we ever get confirmation from anyone other than Ken himself that Christine told him she loved his book and it made her passionate about music again , I'll be very shocked.

Michele
Old 09-11-2013, 08:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Honey or sugar, I'll answer to either - if you're female.

Touchy, Touchy OK, next time I will call you dude, so you know I am not trying to feminize you.

Also, It's OK if you question the quote. You don't' know anything about me, except for a screen name and a few post, and there are a lot of people that misquote a person or embellish quotes to help and prove their point. I just wanted you to know I am not one of them. I try to be as objective and realistic as possible

As to journalistic integrity, I agree many writers misquote whoever they are interviewing or sometimes even just make stuff up to add to their story, but I don't think the writer did that in this case because to me it sounds like something Lindsey would say (but who knows :shrug).