Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-19-2009, 04:34 PM
Senior Ledgie

Question Come from "Say You Will Album"

I think this is a good song, a very different sound for the band although I am a newbie. But my question is, who is the female doing the vocals? I can't really buy that, that is Stevie it's got to be another anyone know? Doesn't sound too bad.

Old 08-19-2009, 04:53 PM
Registered

Lindsey is the only vocalist on the song. What you're probably hearing as a female voice is just Lindsey's voice manipulated to sound different.
Old 08-19-2009, 05:52 PM
Senior Ledgie

Wow! Hell of a manipulation i really thought that, that was another woman!

Old 08-19-2009, 06:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~GoldDustWoman~ View Post
Wow! Hell of a manipulation i really thought that, that was another woman!
Lindsey does this quite often. Big Love is another example. Those groans near the end of that song aren't Stevie...
Old 08-20-2009, 02:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Me likey this song.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotafraid View Post
Me likey this song.
Me too.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:40 PM
Senior Ledgie

Not too keen on it tbh.

The lyrics are not really appropriate for FM in my opinion.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:50 PM
Registered

My thought of "Come" when it was released, and seeing it performed live a handful of times, was that it wasn't a good showcase for LB because the sentiment of 'think of me every time you don't come' seemed very bitchy coming from a 50-something hetero (exclusively, I assume) man.
In his 20s, it very well may have seemed kind of witty along the lines of 'packin up shackin up's all you wanna do'-- which was amusing to me, as a child (!!)
But coming from him at 52 or 53, I thought, 'how unevolved, bitter, and tedious'-- The snippy, gay side of me would want Stevie (or whoever he is singing this to!) reply to 'think of me every time you don't come' with 'well, my crystal balls are still crystal, yours must have gray hairs all over them by now!'
Old 08-20-2009, 03:58 PM
Registered

Considering when the song was written/recorded, I've always figured it to be about- at least in part- Anne Heche "turning" lesbian. It would explain the underlying theme of immaturity, how she gave up men after dating him (although Steve Martin was reportedly after Lindsey and before Ellen).
Old 08-20-2009, 06:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetwoodmark View Post
The lyrics are not really appropriate for FM in my opinion.
I agree. I think it's trashy -- from a guy who always has a criticism to make of others in the band when he thinks they have done something trashy.

The song is vulgar, & also creepy.
I also played it for my headbanger friends, & they thought it was wussy -- a totally miscalculated attempt at sounding metal or grunge. It didn't work for them at all. They didn't believe an ounce of it.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 08-20-2009, 07:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Come to think about it, I have absolutely no problem with the vulgar and creepy. It just adds another dimension to the demented dynamics of Lindsey. Duh!
Old 08-20-2009, 07:41 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I agree. I think it's trashy -- from a guy who always has a criticism to make of others in the band when he thinks they have done something trashy.

I also played it for my headbanger friends, & they thought it was wussy -- a totally miscalculated attempt at sounding metal or grunge. It didn't work for them at all. They didn't believe an ounce of it.
HAHA... Was it meant to appeal to the headbangers, David?

I do enjoy the guitar lead at the end of the song. Don't particularly care for the song in total... But I dont skip over it when it comes on, and I certainly did go for a bathroom break when they played it live
Old 08-20-2009, 08:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I agree that Come is not suited for Fleetwood Mac. I don't like it, but I think the guitar work is more than creative. I'm glad he did it and glad he performed it live (although I do not believe that it should be performed if ISA is in the setlist). I like the variety it adds to his showcase and I certainly like it if it makes Lindsey feel good about his music.

As for the lyrics, I . . . there are parts that I think chronicle Heche's madness just the way Miranda did and I find those words inventive and thought provoking. As for the 'think of me every time you don't' part, the worst I can say is that he really flatters himself.

I read Anne Heche's book and I don't think Lindsey was even a blurb on her sexual meter. She seems to have no gripe against him. In fact, I thought there was sweetness in the couple of pages that talk about him, the way he didn't tell her who he was on the plane. He seemed like an endearing, humble guy. But I don't think he impressed her in bed in the least and if she's ever going to be thinking back on someone with regret when she finds herself sexually unsatisfied, I think the last person she'll be remembering is Lindsey!

Now, if Ellen ever wanted to sing those words, I think Anne would feel that Ellen had justification, because she described that as just the most mindblowing thing that she had ever experienced.

As far as Lindsey talking about her sexuality, from what Anne wrote, she wasn't with a woman when she was with Lindsey or directly after him either. So, if Lindsey was writing about that, it was after the fact.

Michele
Old 08-20-2009, 08:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This song is just...WRONG..makes me feel all creepy crawly. I hate it.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolaj View Post
My thought of "Come" when it was released, and seeing it performed live a handful of times, was that it wasn't a good showcase for LB because the sentiment of 'think of me every time you don't come' seemed very bitchy coming from a 50-something hetero (exclusively, I assume) man.
In his 20s, it very well may have seemed kind of witty along the lines of 'packin up shackin up's all you wanna do'-- which was amusing to me, as a child (!!)
But coming from him at 52 or 53, I thought, 'how unevolved, bitter, and tedious'-- The snippy, gay side of me would want Stevie (or whoever he is singing this to!) reply to 'think of me every time you don't come' with 'well, my crystal balls are still crystal, yours must have gray hairs all over them by now!'
I emphatically agree, and would go further to say that it wouldn't work at any age. It's just not the kind of thing suitable for a rallying cry, which is what our collective love for a song such as "I'm So Afraid" is, more or less.